PDA

View Full Version : Wow, do Corporations suck or what?

Markstar
26-07-2007, 18:51
Just installed BTS and why am I not surprised that the highly anticipated new feature either doesn't work or simply sucks. At first I thought I just didn't get it, but after some extensive reading over at CFC, it seems most people agree that this must be a bug.

You spent up to 6 great persons, then a good amount of money (200+ gold per foreign city in my case plus the shields to build the executive) and then it hardly makes any difference? I was playing prince (since I'm just starting), had enough GPs to build them all, but it still seems sooo not worth it; the benefit is minimal to your own economy (+2 food and a little culture for -10 gold???), but it also hardly makes a difference using them on foreign cities. I get a minimal gold bonus, but they enemy profits from it too (they don't have to build the executive, probably get the bonuses and, since we all know how good Firaxis' programmers are, it may even be that they don't have to pay the costs).

Maybe I'm wrong, but as it is now I'll go back to NOT playing cIV.

Robboo
26-07-2007, 19:13
You could just not make any cooperations. I think Explorers are useless so I never built one yet. I think courthouses have limited uses so I dont build them often. Maybe with more playing someone will find out a way to use them.

The one interesting one is the ethanol corp. IF you dont have oil in your territory you can then turn corn or sugar into "oil" thats got to be useful if you find yourself in a bad map situation

grahamiam
26-07-2007, 19:30
Is that 200+ gpt? Couldn't you run 100% science and still make a profit?

killercane
26-07-2007, 19:33
They seem to be pretty situational; I dont understand really why they made them overly complicated with massive inflation. It seems you must be in Free Market with a courthouse for them not to cost more than they are worth. Even then there are easier ways to get additional production/science.

Tubby Rower
26-07-2007, 19:40
which makes sense. free market allows for big corporate giants I haven't read much about them though.

I'm clueless about civ4. Mainly because they've given you so many ways to win that I end up getting confused, and just basically sucking. I think that is one reason why succession games fail in civ4 because most everyone has their own favorite way of playing the game that the game ends up being a hodge-podge of different tactics. While all of these tactics might work fantabulous by themselves, together they don't work at all.

this rambling brought to you by Tubby and his stupidity

Robboo
26-07-2007, 20:09
Tubby your rambling thoughts about succession games are why I quit playing them. Every one has their own style of what works for them. Its too complicated to keep switching off for other players to play.

Beorn
26-07-2007, 21:45
Seconded, Tubs.

grahamiam
26-07-2007, 22:01
I haven't played enough CIV SG's to be sure, but, iirc, they were more fun when there was one person leading the way and everyone bought into his/her approach. Also, having a specific victory-type in mind helps. The "just win" type games get pretty messy.

Markstar
27-07-2007, 13:04
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

You could just not make any cooperations. I think Explorers are useless so I never built one yet.Yeah, I would never build one either, but in this case weren't Corporations supposed to be the exciting new feature and greatly enhance the later stage of the game???

quote:I think courthouses have limited uses so I dont build them often. Maybe with more playing someone will find out a way to use them. Really? It's one of the first things I build, especially in cities farther away from the capital.

BCLG100
27-07-2007, 14:26
Explorers are v v usefull unit, give it a couple of heal promos stick it in a stack and it'll be the last thing to get attacked so you'll always be healing.

Different corps give different benefits, sure they're not very hot but the one which gives a few extra hammers pet turn could be quite usefull seeing as there base and yet to go through the multiplier.

Stapel
27-07-2007, 16:18
See, we are all right here! So many different ways to play that can be succesful!!

BCLG100
27-07-2007, 17:34
I dont know if this is normal but a couple of games now i've played every single civ has suddenly decided to declare war on me, even if we've had perfectly good relations with them in the past- any ideas anyone?

Robboo
27-07-2007, 19:00
were you running away in techs or score?
Did you kill off a civ that everyone liked?

BCLG100
27-07-2007, 19:03
Neither, i was at war with toku but then everyone turned on me. Think its a bug its happened twice at ~200 turns in.

Beorn
28-07-2007, 01:57
It's not a bug, it's latent, passive-agressive hatred build-up.

Shabbaman
28-07-2007, 11:50
Are you playing arabs?