PDA

View Full Version : No more cIV after checking for updates (warlords)

Stapel
19-07-2007, 22:35
Dudes,

I clicked the "check for updates"-button, found one, installed it (2.13 iirc) and guess what, cIV warlords won't start up because some DLL ( D3DX9_32.DLL )can not be found.

What now?

Beam
19-07-2007, 22:37
Dude,

Who is the dude here?

Stapel
19-07-2007, 22:40
quote:Originally posted by Beam

quote:Originally posted by Stapel

Dudes,

I clicked the "check for updates"-button, found one, installed it (2.13 iirc) and guess what, cIV warlords won't start up because some DLL ( D3DX9_32.DLL )can not be found.

What now?

Deinstall both Vanilla and Warlords, reinstall the shit.
CDs are at the GF's place..........
Fuck fuck fuck.......

quote:Why the fuck are you checking for updates if I spent hours today getting my shit to work again and wrote a very conspicious post about this including explicitly stating that 2k is sucking in the release process and that there are unannounced, undocumented and uninterruptable patches around?

Hadn't read that. I gotta hint in the CivIVor thread I needed to check for updates. Do I really need no updates at all?

Stapel
19-07-2007, 22:41
I hate Firaxis / K2 or whoever screwed this up.....

BCLG100
19-07-2007, 22:51
want me to play your civivor 2 turn?

Beam
19-07-2007, 22:55
Hard to say Bas.

The only thing that's clear to me the release process is way out of control of the distributor. Here we go:
- Game is on the shelves well before the official release dates
- It uninteruptably patches what's already installed and causes disfunctionalties in what worked before
- Those patches are unannounced,undocumented and uninterruptable
- Like you just learned those patches also are in the distribution channel for those who don't have BtS.
- And cause disfunctionalities there.
- Patches were planned to be available but didn't make it in the release but apparently did.
- No info about patches in the readme.
- Meantime the "official" channels still play their marketing countdown. Only as we speak the first announcement about new patches is made at the frontpage of CFC. Let's do some spamming there.

Imo it is best to not patch at all beyond 2.0.8 and follow the developing story.

Shabbaman
19-07-2007, 23:04
Weird. I just tried the same, but here it still works.

Beam
19-07-2007, 23:04
You can fix the 2.13 error by getting the latest of DirectX but you still will get a Version Mismatch in Pitbosses.

Beam
19-07-2007, 23:06
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Weird. I just tried the same, but here it still works.

You prob have the latest DirectX with your Vista. How about connecting to the RtW Pitboss?

BCLG100
19-07-2007, 23:09
All on the front there stapel :)
http://civfanatics.com/

col
19-07-2007, 23:21
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_32
You can download your dx9 file here

update: microsoft link now on CFC to update your dx9 files

IglooDude
20-07-2007, 00:24

Dude,

Who is the dude here?

I guess that'd be me. [cool]

akots
20-07-2007, 02:27
So, do I patch or not to play RtW?

BCLG100
20-07-2007, 02:42
so far matrix hasn't patched so i guess for the time being you don't :)

akots
20-07-2007, 04:03
Ok, and I don't want to.

Stapel
20-07-2007, 11:28
Ah, I can simply install DirectX 9.0c, and all shoudl work again! Will try at home!

To clear things out: I did not do anyhting with BtS; I don't have it!

Is it available in NL?

Another thing: It is my opinion that in MP, we all should patch asap. Makes no sense to postpone that, right?

socralynnek
20-07-2007, 11:32
Hmmm, I don't know. In some versions of Civ the saves were not forward-compatible.

That means that you might need to play the game in the same version up to the end of the game and can't continue if you don't have the correct version installed.

BCLG100
20-07-2007, 12:38
Most pitboss games so far have been compatible.

least the ones i've been in (refferring to previous patching)

Robboo
20-07-2007, 13:05
everyone just dual install to finish your games...only way to go or abandon those older games.

Stapel
20-07-2007, 13:45
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

everyone just dual install to finish your games...only way to go or abandon those older games.
The way I see it:

If Matrix patches up; we should all patch up.

Beam
20-07-2007, 13:56

The way I see it:

If Matrix patches up; we should all patch up.

There are a couple of steps prior to that. Everybody should have it working correctly with the new patch for example. Best way to get there is a dual install. We also must be 100% sure the current game works with the new patch.

Stapel, did you reinstall already or keeps your GF the discs in a locker? ;)

Stapel
20-07-2007, 18:39
I got civ working now, quite easily. Simply installing DX 9c did the trick.

I am VERY reluctant to uninstall and install an older version now. I suggest everybody got it working with the new patch RIGHT NOW, so we can continute with the newest version asap.

I HATE dual installs! And I'm too dumb for it.

Consider me out of any pit boss games, untill everybody is patched up :( .

Beam
20-07-2007, 20:51
Stapel, this dual install is the easiest I've ever seen. Just copy / paste. And deinstall / reinstall is a piece of cake. What you're trying to do is enforce something that's not necessary and I must honestly say I don't like this.

Stapel
20-07-2007, 21:19
Huh?

Eventually, all of us must patch up anyway, right? I just don't get it......

Stapel
20-07-2007, 21:41
Beam,

The point is that if I uninstall all, and re-install all, I will not have the right patch to get into the pitboss games. I suppose I need some "old" patch which I do not know of....

If I go dual install, I will have one unpatched version and one version patched up with the latest patch:

Whereas I need some in-between-patch. And I don't have that right?

Whatever the solution is, it's certainly not easy for me.

And I really do NOT understand why we simply do not all patch up now.......

killercane
20-07-2007, 21:52
You can get 2.08 or 1.61 here:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12

Robboo
20-07-2007, 21:53

Huh?

No some of us are in games that having been going for over a year. To change now would change the rules of the game in the middle of it. Some of us will HAVE to dual install.

I think what beam is saying is...Its our choice to dual install or not patch. As far as the in-between patch I probably have it saved on my computer at home. I am anal that way about patches and updates. I normally store them in a seperate folder incase the new patch screws up and I then cant play. IF I do have it adn we can figure out a way for me to get it to anyone i will. I havent check but Civ fantics or Firaxis may still have the old patch.

Beam
20-07-2007, 21:55
I've posted enough already about this and maybe you should reread it a bit and get it....

Two ppl already have deinstalled / reinstalled and although there are nicer things to do in life it isn't the end of the world.

The last thing I'm gonna say about this is that the process around the release of this patch has been so messy it is really best to have a controlled process around applying the patch. Matrix is away for a long weekend so he can only start to even look at it say Monday. I'll be leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks and only can start any testing by then.

Imo prior to patching the game itself everybody should have a working and tested patched version, then Matrix can test if the patched game works, then we can test if everybody can connect, load and play and once we are there I'll be more than happy to switch to the patched version. And I would really hate if I come back from holiday and find the game (Rule the World I mean) is patched and I can't play it.

Beam
20-07-2007, 22:04
Old patches and other interesting stuff can be found at www.gamecopyworld.com:
- Go to that site
- Do a search for Civilization
- Select a result looking like GameCopyWorld - Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords / Beyond the Sword - No-CD No-DVD Trainers & Game Fixes
- Click on what you want
- DL the File Archive

Stapel
20-07-2007, 22:18
Well, then!

I guess I only need to know which (warlord)patch we use in Rule-tha-World (and CivIVor, but's the same one, right?). Which patch is that?

One more thing though:
Eventually, we are going to continue RtW with the newest patch, or not?

A general note to all:
I really do NOT have a clue to at least half of the info presented in this thread. To give a simple example: The line "DL the File Archive" means absolutely nothing to me. Could as well be something you order for lunch. This is simply not that easy for me. In the mean while, I've missed several pitt-boss turns, despite HOURS of time spent on fixing this kutsooi.

Beam
20-07-2007, 22:53
OK, here is a straight link to the Firaxis page: http://www.firaxis.com/support/support_detail.php?gameid=13&patch=1

You need to download the 2.08 patch cause that's the one RtW is being played with. It is an executable so if you save it somewhere on your computer where you can find it doubleclick it. I don't expect it to "patch backwards" so to make it work you have to do the reinstall.

Only now realizing some ppl need more help I assumed here is the uninstall process for Vanilla and Warlords.
- Go to the Control Panel of Windoze (where to start it up can vary by XP)
- Find and doubleclick the "Add or remove programs" icon
- New window appears, it starts searching for installed programs
- Once it shows a list scroll down until you find Civilization 4 entries. Should be two but if you find more all need to be removed.
- It is best to remove time reversed. So first remove Warlords then Vanilla.
- So doubleclick the Warlords entry. You will see a Change/Remove or Remove option. Click. Follow and confirm the steps that lead to removal. Repeat for Vanilla.
- The process doesn't remove everything and to be 100% sure everything is gone you need the following steps as well.
- Open Windoze Explorer and in the left pane click My Computer. If you don;t have a left pane click the Folder button at the top
- Once you clicked My Computer you'll see your discs and drives. If you did the default install click C:. Locate Program Files and doubleclick. Locate Firaxis Games and rightclick. Select Delete. Empty Trashcan afterwards.

Stapel
21-07-2007, 08:24

Huh?

No some of us are in games that having been going for over a year. To change now would change the rules of the game in the middle of it. Some of us will HAVE to dual install.

I still don't get why we don't follow this procedure:
-Those (and only those) with old games that need to be played in the older 2.08 version make dual installs. (one 2.08; one 2.13)
-All other games are patched up to 2.13 ASAP.

Why all of us should go through the hassle of dual installing, totally beats me...
Or can't we trust 2.13? That would be a valid arguement

Beam
21-07-2007, 08:37
Stapel, I've put a lot of effort and time explaining how to make a dual install and why and I don't get why you keep bitching instead of just spending the same time to JFDI (Just Fucking Do It). And dual install isn't a hassle at all. Please also consider that it will probably require considerable effort from me to make my installtion work at 2.13. I could explain you why but that's more technical than the how-to for the dual install.

Stapel
21-07-2007, 11:03

Stapel, I've put a lot of effort and time explaining how to make a dual install and why and I don't get why you keep bitching instead of just spending the same time to JFDI (Just Fucking Do It). And dual install isn't a hassle at all. Please also consider that it will probably require considerable effort from me to make my installtion work at 2.13. I could explain you why but that's more technical than the how-to for the dual install.

I've done it already! Thanks for the detailed explination [wave] !

It is just that I do NOT understand why we need dual installs. Well, I do see some of it now...

What still bugs me: Why aren't running pitboss games patched up. To me, that still seems to easiest and most logical solution. Until this is not clear to me, I'll keep bitching :) .

Anyway,
-I got warlords suitbale for running (unpatched/semi-patched) now (including no-CD-patch)
-I got warlords patched up, thus suitable for future games (need CD)
-I got BtS running (also with CD).

Shabbaman
21-07-2007, 15:14
You can patch a runnning game, but only when every participants does so simultaneously. There's a patch available now, but Matrix seems to be away.