PDA

View Full Version : BtS Released

Beam
18-07-2007, 13:04
It is in US shops! And it is in the wild...

EDIT: This actually happened in a Warlords Pitboss.

Tubby Rower
18-07-2007, 13:11
I thought it still had 5 more days...

Beam
18-07-2007, 13:14
The first owners already posted at that other site. ;)

Robboo
18-07-2007, 13:39
soo walmart/best buy here I come.

Tubby Rower
18-07-2007, 13:55
I knew someone that worked at Toys R Us and she said that they face stiff fines and in the future the manufacturer won't give them merchandise in advance if they even release stuff a few hours early. I don't doubt that someone accidentally put the stuff on the shelf last night after the shipment came in not thinking about when it was supposed to be put out and people this morning saw it and bought it before they had a chance to pull it off of the shelfs.

grahamiam
18-07-2007, 14:36
Reading that thread, it looks like the Aussie's are the lucky ones. No one in NA, East Asia, or EU have reported getting it yet. I just placed my preorder with Amazon, due to ship on the 27th. With free supersaver shipping, that means I'll get it sometime between July 29th and October 14th [:p]

IglooDude
18-07-2007, 14:52
What Grahamiam said - looks like it's only released Down Under. And I got properly burned by Amazon on Civ4 vanilla, so on the US day of release I'm calling the local electronic game stores and picking it up at the closest one that can save me a copy (which worked well with Warlords).

Tubby Rower
18-07-2007, 15:03
I don't expect a mad rush here in Lynchburg for BtS so I think that I'll stop by BestBuy on the way home Monday :D

Beam
18-07-2007, 15:23
It indeed seems Aussie specific, a Dutch website (bol.com) lists 20-07 as release date. And I'm at 28.5% atm.

IglooDude
18-07-2007, 16:05
A couple Dutch people have reported game-in-hand, given the crowd around here I'd be surprised if one or two of y'all didn't come up with a copy today. [hyper]

Beam
18-07-2007, 21:53
I've actually playing been it for the past hour and it looks and feels very promising. It is an evaluation copy as none of the early releasers here in Breda have it yet but as soon as I find it for a decent price it'll be mine. :)

Robboo
18-07-2007, 22:00
Yeah I dont see a rush here either so i should be able to pick it up next week after my job interview. Lets hope thats a lucky day for me.

IglooDude
18-07-2007, 22:05
quote:Originally posted by Beam

I've actually playing been it for the past hour and it looks and feels very promising. It is an evaluation copy as none of the early releasers here in Breda have it yet but as soon as I find it for a decent price it'll be mine. :)

By the way, does the evaluation copy come with a manual in PDF format?

mauer
18-07-2007, 22:11
I'm one of the free shipping Amazon guys, so who knows when I'll get it.

Beam
18-07-2007, 22:20
Why would you need a manual? [scratch]

IglooDude
18-07-2007, 22:22

Why would you need a manual? [scratch]

I wouldn't, but I'm curious if the (PDF) manual is a user creation or is a file on the disk (and thus propagating it via CFC would be a piracy thing that the mods would have to deal with).

Beam
18-07-2007, 22:31
I ckecked the disk and no pdf there or any reference to it in the readme.

Beam
19-07-2007, 00:00
So I installed BtS first in XP and started a game and already noticed it is a different game. But as it was just for testing the install didn't pay to much attention.

Then I went back to my familiar Linux to make it work there because that's my main OS. No succes until now but I feel comfy I can get it to work.

Then I wanted to launch Warlords in Linux which worked until the BtS install. Not now. [rant] Vanilla still ran but the way the two are installed in Linux is different. Vanilla has a full install in Linux, Warlords is being run from the XP install.

Back to M$ XP and after booting I saw three new "Launch Civ4 etc" icons. After checking the associated exe's I learned they both have a datestamp of 16-05-2007. [rant] Now the BtS install mentions somewhere in the procedure that a newer version of Civ 4 has been found so I could have known but the BtS basically fucked my No-CD patches without asking a question keeping a previous version. [rant] OK I guess it is a matter of copy/paste the No-CD patches back in but if 2k does not understand their customers want to protect the discs they have they basically suck big time.

Back to the game and some differences I noticed in a 2nd game I started:
- Galleys could enter ocean squares if they were in city borders. Now they can't.
- If a city goes to 0 happiness surplus the citytile arrangement is changed to no growth.
- Charlemagne is one of my neighbours. Without doing anything I can see he is researching Priesthood and has it in one turn.
- Indeed many changes to the techtree and techs needed to build something are changed. I read on that other site MetCas is needed for Triremes but the mouseover only mentions Sailing as a prereq. The Pedia gives the correct listing.
- The graphical engine feels much, much better but I baven't played Civ in XP for a long time so I might be wrong.

I consider this a major rework and as such the advertised price of 20 euro's at NL site bol.com is good bang for the buck imo. Given the number of changes I also expect a patch in the near future. Not so much to address the graphical issues of the past but more for balancing in-game rules etc.

killercane
19-07-2007, 02:38
How do the corporations work? Can you have the mining one and the creative constructions one both, and say you are on a huge map and have 30 resources, does each city get 45 hammers extra production? That seems like it could get a bit ridiculous if that is all multiplied by buildings.

BCLG100
19-07-2007, 02:48
if it does guess we're all waiting for the patch!

Beam
19-07-2007, 13:05
OK. At some point I was able to start all 3 versions without a problem in Single Player in XP. BtS not yet in Linux.

However. Connecting to the RtW Pitboss gave a fucking Version Mismatch. Then I checked and compared the Vanilla XP install with the Vanilla Linux install. A lot of the files are replaced with new ones! Checked the registry and there now is a version 1.74 for Vanilla!

I am not sure if this has to do with my personal installation or if it is a general issue but it might mean all players in a Pitboss could be on different versions if some have BtS installed. This sucks.

Removed everything and in the process of reinstalling.

Tubby Rower
19-07-2007, 13:10
stop posting Beam... you're making me less inclined to get it [lol]

socralynnek
19-07-2007, 13:15
BTW I already legally loaded the manual from Steam at home.

They have the manual there on the BtS page....even if you don't buy it...

Beam
19-07-2007, 13:43
So reinstalling/repatching Vanilla and Warlords solved the version mismatch. I am not going to reinstall BtS until more is clear about how it messes up the rest of the install and how to avoid/handle it.

IglooDude
19-07-2007, 14:52
Thanks for the heads-up about the multiplayer version mismatches.

And yeah, the over-writing on No-CD is exactly why I haven't deodorized my machine yet, I was figuring on doing it once I have BtS installed.

IglooDude
19-07-2007, 15:01
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

And yeah, the over-writing on No-CD is exactly why I haven't deodorized my machine yet, I was figuring on doing it once I have BtS installed.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=232029

Beam
19-07-2007, 15:07

Cool! How did you know I'm from Down Under btw? [rotfl]

Darkness
19-07-2007, 15:19

Maybe you've got some strange accent? [???]

IglooDude
19-07-2007, 15:28

Dutch, Austrian, whatever. Give me a break, I'm American and so everyone else is either Canadian, Mexican, or a foreigner.

[tongue]

Markstar
07-08-2007, 00:14
Sorry for the stupid question - but how do you run a BTS pitboss server???

I can run a vanilla server, but the Pitboss.exe crashed when I run it from the BTS directory. [confused]

IglooDude
07-08-2007, 14:13
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

Sorry for the stupid question - but how do you run a BTS pitboss server???

I can run a vanilla server, but the Pitboss.exe crashed when I run it from the BTS directory. [confused]

What was the error message (if any)? And has the machine been patched to 3.02? Are you able to run the Civ4 game (vanilla or BtS) on the machine?

ERIKK
09-08-2007, 09:08
Bought BtS yesterday and played for 3 hours. Got actually two games as Warlods was included). ;) Played Ethiopia on Prince, standard map. First impression is good. Lots of events going on in this game. The log lists all events from all over the world. Also the game looks better.

Got to read more about the spying thing - I got a great spy (build the Great Wall) and didn't knew what to do with it...

Stapel
09-08-2007, 09:20
Erik is alive! Good to see that!

Did you hav vanilla cIV? Or was this your first encounter?

And..... I have a very very strong impression that the BtS dvd does NOT hold warlords... Did you get an bonus dvd from your supplier?

ERIKK
09-08-2007, 10:11
Hi Stapel,

Yeah, I played Civ4 a couple of months over a year ago. Then stopped playing. See my 'away' thread: http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4597

On the BtS DVD (€18,50) is everything from Warlords. It's stated in the manual too. Got the wonders and the civs + units (like Zulu and Great Wall for instance). Dunno about the scenario's though. Read on CFC that those weren't in it.

Stapel
09-08-2007, 11:29
Ok, I see what you mean. I was thinking of starting up warlords with the BtS-dvd, for pitboss games.

Markstar
10-08-2007, 11:57
quote:What was the error message (if any)? And has the machine been patched to 3.02? Are you able to run the Civ4 game (vanilla or BtS) on the machine?
Never mind, I got it. [wallbash]

I just copied the Pitboss.exe that I downloaded from CFC into the main and the BTS directory, without even looking for Civ4BeyondSword_PitBoss.exe. [medic]

Now the only question left is which port is used so I can tell the router to forward it to the right PC.

BCLG100
10-08-2007, 13:23
i think its 2056 but wait for someone who knows more about it to get back to you!

IglooDude
10-08-2007, 14:54
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

i think its 2056 but wait for someone who knows more about it to get back to you!

You're correct, 2056. Try UDP, if that doesn't work, use TCP instead.

Shabbaman
12-08-2007, 20:35
Today I played some BtS, a huge terra map. Two continents, one of which the "new world". Very sparse luxury resources in the old world, which makes the game pretty difficult. By the time I could sail to the west I was happy to grab all that land, and those luxuries. By the time I noticed that I was running a deficit of 200 gpt I figured out that this must be my colony tax.

So, no problem, I'll just make some of them into a colony. Unfortunatel, no such luck: I could only make all my overseas cities into a colony. A real pity, because some of these new cities were pretty good. Next time I'll try if I can grant each new city independence.

BCLG100
12-08-2007, 20:42
with the new map script i've noticed i end up by marble and stone literally every game i start.

Robboo
12-08-2007, 20:49
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

with the new map script i've noticed i end up by marble and stone literally every game i start.

which map because in 4 starts I had no stone or marble within 4 city widths and in the other I had none on my continent.

BCLG100
12-08-2007, 20:56
just pangea normal stuff, nothing especially brilliant.

That and even though im not setting it on balanced, every other start has iron in my starting city cross.