PDA

View Full Version : Revolutions

Pastorius
12-07-2007, 23:36
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803562p1.html

BCLG100
13-07-2007, 00:01
Some of those ideas look good if included in a pc version of the game but on a console? no thank you.

mauer
13-07-2007, 00:01
Looks a bit too cartoonish for me. Sounds interesting, but now that I know a little more about it, I doubt I'll get it.

Shabbaman
01-02-2008, 17:56
Well, it's coming out "soon" for the DS, check some blabbering plus screenies on IGN (http://ds.ign.com/articles/848/848158p1.html). It looks terrible (the pretty pictures are PS3/xbox2), but hey, that's the DS indeed... But since I got one, I'll try this game. Perhaps I'll start using the thing after all.

Matrix
01-02-2008, 18:33
I don't have any other computer than my pc and will never have, cos for the same amount of money I can upgrade my pc. [tongue] So if this appears to be the best Civ-version ever (highly unlikely), tough luck for me.

Shabbaman
01-02-2008, 18:35
A DS costs 100 euro's. You can upgrade your PC for 100 euro's? Upgrade it to what, exactly? The game is utter crap btw, it has to be. It's civ4 light.

grahamiam
01-02-2008, 18:43
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

A DS costs 100 euro's. You can upgrade your PC for 100 euro's? Upgrade it to what, exactly? The game is utter crap btw, it has to be. It's civ4 light.
Yeah, but hopefully it will be better than any other DS strategy game out right now.

ProPain
13-02-2008, 07:11
I was planning on buying the new advance wars, both that and the 1st DS one got ok reviews. You dont think they're any good Grahamiam?

grahamiam
13-02-2008, 15:59
Sorry, but most of those DS strategy game really turn me off. However, many people do like and swear by them.

ProPain
13-02-2008, 16:23
I bought rune factory a while ago, not a brilliant game (and not entirely strategy, more strat with RPG twist) but certainly not a crappy game either.

And while I hate race games I love mario kart, strangely addicting....

grahamiam
13-02-2008, 18:37
Oh, I've played Mario Cart for the GBA, it's a blast. There's lots of nice games for the DS, don't get me wrong. It's just that I find the strategy games lacking. Usually, due to too much corny written dialoge between levels and crap. I've heard that Puzzle Quest is a really good game for the DS, and I might have to buy it to check it out. Also, Peggle for the DS is coming soon :)

Shabbaman
16-04-2008, 16:04
Look, a civ revolutions promo:

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/04/civrevobey.jpg

I just read civ for the Weeee has been canned btw.

And look, the official site has a promo without the ugly wall:

http://www.civilizationrevolution.com/community/fairey/poster.jpg

Remotelinking ftw.

grahamiam
16-04-2008, 16:29
eh, what's the right hand doing?

Shabbaman
16-04-2008, 16:33
Micromanaging, obviously.

Matrix
16-04-2008, 16:56
"I'll show you one more time..."

Markstar
16-04-2008, 22:43
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

eh, what's the right hand doing?
[ggw2] [lol]

Socrates
16-04-2008, 23:05
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Micromanaging, obviously.

[lol] [crazyeye][crazyeye][crazyeye]

Shabbaman
29-05-2008, 12:48
So this game is getting released next week, and suddenly I'm wondering: what about patches? The DS doesn't have a HD for downloadable content like the PS3 and the Xbox, and I doub't they'll manage to make a bug-free civ version. Now that would be a revolution... I see this as a big problem for the DS version.

ProPain
29-05-2008, 19:09
I garee with you shabba, so I'll put off buying Civ rev for the DS untill I know it's ok. Pity they canned the Wii version.

killercane
29-05-2008, 19:38
Prediction: This game will suck, but will provide a nugget or two of insight for the designers as to what to incorporate into Civ 5.

I read also where the thing is super unbalanced, thus killing the MP aspect to a degree.

Melifluous
13-06-2008, 14:19
I own this game now!

Turned up yesterday and I only got to play it for like an hour whilst drunk last night...

Seems quite good fun, the map feels a bit odd, it'll take a little getting used to.

It's still definately civ though and as such is quite quite fun :)

[meli]

PS. On the XBOX 360 btw...

mauer
13-06-2008, 22:40
I need to get a new game system. I'd like to buy this, among other games. What do you guys recomend? Wii, Xbox 360, or PS3?

ProPain
14-06-2008, 00:53
If you wanna play revolutions, don't buy a Wii as is pointed out by shabba: Wii release of Civ Revo is postponed indefinitely. Which in my book is a euphemism for canceled :)

I dont own a PS3/Xbox360 but I do own a Wii and I think it's great fun.

digger760
14-06-2008, 14:14
I saw an add last night for Civ Revolutions on TV, for the xbox!!!

This is the first time ever i've seen an add for Civilsation on TV, it just goes to show the divide in marketing for games on consoles vs the PC

Melifluous
15-06-2008, 17:26
Well played a bit more of the game. I very much like it.

4 ways to win the game.

1) Domination - Capture all enemy capitals. Not all cities, just the capitals. Very easy win.
2) Culture - Get 20 great people and then build the UN. Hardest win IMO.
3) Technology - Get to the 3rd last tech and build your spaceship. 2nd easiest win.
4) Money - Get 20,000 gold and then build the World Bank. Quite hard.

Bits I like about the game
-Armies (specifically Knight armies) - Lump together 3 of the same unit and get mighty powerhouse units.
-Building stuff - Buildings make a BIG difference to a city. Markets double gold output, University = 4x research etc.

Bits I dont like
-Map size - Cant change this. Always the same size, always against 4 civs.
-Build Queues - There aren't any, late in the game if you're cruising to get a tech win expect to change the build queue for every city, every turn.

Bits that surprised me
-Worker management - you can take complete control of each and every worker if you want to.
-How much fun it is - It's a damned fine game, as much though involved as playing real civ for me at least.

Well I hope to get somescreen shots on here at some point, even if they are dodgy ones from my camera phone :)

[meli]

PS. Just completed all 4 types of win on cheiftain, time to head up to Warlord difficulty. Cheiftain -> Warlord -> King -> Emperor -> Deity...

ProPain
15-06-2008, 17:52
Not buying a PS3/Xbox for this so I have to wait for the DS version I;m affraid.

col
16-06-2008, 14:40
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Not buying a PS3/Xbox for this so I have to wait for the DS version I;m affraid.

Me too - currently enojoying a turn based Age of Empires on the DS a lot.

ProPain
16-06-2008, 15:07
So how's AoE playing along? I read several reader reviews complaining about the game being buggy. They would experience crashes on saving, and slow gameplay when the game approached the max no of units also sometimes resulting in crashes.

That kinda put me off from buying it.

col
17-06-2008, 10:23
The crash on save only happens if you choose a name of less than 6 chars I understand. And only on save and quit. ave first then quit causes no problems

I like it - in fact I prefer it to the original. Its a different experience - I can only compare it to chess - since units cant stack. The units are nicely balanced and you have to think about your moves. Going turn based changes the clickfest.

It can be difficult at times to select the right unit when the screen is crowded.

I havent noiced any particularly bad slow downs. Crashes occurred when power got low - I save every couple of turns so no big deal.

ProPain
17-06-2008, 22:46
good to know, might buy it after all then :)

Shabbaman
10-07-2008, 11:00
I have this game on the DS now, I played it for an hour or so yesterday evening. First impressions:

-this is civ3 plus unit promotions.
-yet, it's still portable civ, nothing wrong with it
-no workers?
-tile management in the city screen is easy, just click on a focus (gold, production, etc.)
-the DS sucks.

I should elaborate on that last point. The DS has two screens. You'd expect that you could put a lot of information on those screens. Most of the time the top screen displays nothing (just a still picture). This is to preserve memory, obviously. Sometimes you use two screens. In combat, for instance, or in the city screen. But in general, the game fails to present the relevant information at a glance: what a city is building, what you're researching, how many turns left to produce/research, how much gold you have. The worst thing I noticed: you can't see combat odds. They're presented, but the name of the unit (I can see what unit it is, thank you) obscures the combat odds.

There are four difficulty settings, chieftain, warlord, king and deity. So no "neutral" setting. Thus that's either warlord, or king. Well, let me tell you: it's not warlord. By 0 A.D. I got 2 wonders of the world for free, including pyramids. Plus countless other bonuses (for having 100 gold! Seriously. I had no idea I had 100 gold, because I can't see that on the screen, but I do get a bonus for it. You want to know what the bonus was? Currency. No, not more gold, the tech. You know, 4 steps up the tech tree. In the 10th turn or so. Anyway, you should be punished for having 100g, not rewarded. Spend your money, don't save it... ). If you'd have any idea why you get a bonus you can work toward it, but this feels pretty random. After several games you'll get a hang of it I guess, but for me civ is about builing your "bonuses", not about random unlocks.

ProPain
10-07-2008, 15:11
was looking for it yesterday but couldnt find it in good old Meppel. So would your total impression of the game say it's worth buying or not?

It's my holiday after all so I have some time to play now :) and now I'm just playing my backlog of games (currently: Zelda, oracle of ages/seasons on my GBA. Yes I have a pretty large backlog)

Shabbaman
10-07-2008, 15:16
It's too early to tell, I'd have to play some more first. But it's civ, so it can't hardly be not worth the money if you're into mobile gaming. I think this game would've been a lot better on the PSP.

Shabbaman
11-07-2008, 14:22
On second thought, it looks more like civ2. Being unable to declare war under democracy, ah, good times... Anyway, I'll try the higher difficulty levels and see if the AI is smart enough to build armies. If not, the game is broken. And because DS games are unpatchable it'd remain broken.

ProPain
19-07-2008, 12:00
tried to buy it but apparently Euro release is 1st of august. I suppose you have an import or no-deo version.

Shabbaman
19-07-2008, 17:59
Let's put it this way: with all the deodorant it doesn't smell here...

digger760
10-10-2008, 16:26
hmm...sounds as if this game is similar to the mobile civ...that was an uttery crap useless, worth, time wasted effort, that is not wrth the 5 Euros I paid for it.

ProPain
10-10-2008, 16:49
I also bought the mobile civ and that was indeed utterly crap. Revolution isnt that bad but it aint no brilliant product either.

col
10-10-2008, 18:56
I have version that will run on R4 for the DS ....and I bought it too.

Shabbaman
10-10-2008, 20:14
Why? [???]

digger760
02-01-2009, 17:40
Well i was given Civ Rev for the DS for christmas, i did'nt think it was too bad. Those random events you talk about Shabba aint so random, they are milestones for an economic victory and they are in the manual.

The Knight armies are kick arse. and definiatly the game is unbalanced if the AI does not use them (I have only tried 1 game so far). The pace of the game is very fast, so i cant imagine much modern warfare in the game.

I had no problem seeing the combat odds, provided i removed the help options.

It does seem that once you get a lead it would be almost impossible to loose it, because with all the "1st to" bonus's you get catapulted way ahead of the rest.

Given that I never had time for a fully fledge civ game, I only ever played small or tiny maps, the DS version is not that far off the type of Civ 4 games i was playing.

+ this is the first game i have ever played on the DS, so it was fun.

Shabbaman
03-01-2009, 14:37
Sure, they're not random, they're triggered. But it surely feels like a random bonus. The effect is way too big.

I'm going to download the demo for PS3, with a decent screen the game should play better as well.

Shabbaman
27-01-2009, 17:13
Well, some impressions of the ps3-version of Civ Rev. My first impression was "wow, that's UGLY!". This game definately needs a modpack. Maps seem so... empty. Presentation of data (such as aforementioned combat odds) are a lot easier to read on a 32" screen than on the DS. The main quarry I have with the game is that I just miss the mouse. I've grown into a point and click guy (yesterday I heard a complaint from a friend that bought col2 for her laptop, but that she was disappointed that she couldn't move units with the keyboard properly...), and although it's perfectly possible to play the game with the controller it just feels wrong. A mouse is definately easier! The game is still unbalanced with all these scripted events, but I can imagine it can be fun in multiplayer. They're definately stalemate breakers.

ProPain
01-03-2009, 12:04
Civ Rev on the DS never really grew on me. The DS has a lot more fun games to offer than Civ Rev unfortunately. For TBS lover like ourselves I recommend the Final Fantasy Tactics series. Was great on de GBA and is great on the DS as well. The DS FFT-A2 handles a bit better cause with 2 screens the info is displayed much more convenient. And you'll be sinking in dozens of hours of gameplay before finishing the campaign.

Shabbaman
25-08-2009, 15:38
I just found out that during my holiday (and unfortunately not a day before my holiday) civrev was released for the iphone (and ipod touch). It's priced pretty low, only ten bucks. Cheap for a game, but expensive for a iphone game. It's cheap enough that I'll try it though.

Major anticipated downside is that it'll undoubtly drain the battery pretty quick. But then again, so does just looking at your iphone...

ProPain
26-08-2009, 01:26
Major anticipated downside is that it'll undoubtly drain the battery pretty quick. But then again, so does just looking at your iphone...

That's because they're not for looking at but for showing off. And you don't need power for that :p

Shabbaman
28-08-2009, 12:58
I tried the "lite" version (a demo, so to speak), and I have to say that it is civ. The graphics are very similar to the DS version: top down 2d view. But it seems as if the iphone has a better resolution, so the images are better. One of my annoyances with the DS version was that the information wasn't displayed properly (or even at all...), the iphone version is better at that. The controls are smoother as well, though touchscreen just isn't on par with a mouse. What makes the iphone controls differ from the DS controls is that all actions are on the touchscreen, where on the DS there was some controller mapping. Playing on the iphone is more relaxed, the controls are very intuitive.

Still, there are some issues I have with civrev that haven't changed ("oh look, I got the pyramids for free!"), but there's a difference here between the iphone and the DS version: the iphone version can be patched, so it can also be balanced with additional patches if necessary. Another thing is that the sound is awful, but maybe that's better in the full version. For 10 bucks this game is a must buy if you have an iphone or ipod touch.