PDA

View Full Version : Selling maps before Map Making: exploit or PBEM fe

Aggie
04-06-2003, 17:46
What do you think about the following situation:

Early in the game, when none of the civs has invented Map Making yet, it is still possible for the humans to sell each other map info.
Example: player A could pay player B to view the map that player B explored. That map (picture) can then be sent by e-mail or posted on the forum. Player A can use this info to decide upon settling on certain places or wage war vs a civ he/she didn't know the territory of.

Is this an exploit (because it's not in the spirit of the game) or is it permitted?

digger760
04-06-2003, 17:51
imo the rules of map making make trading maps not allowable before map-making.

On similar topic i was thinking of offering a city screen shot to a human oppenent after establishing an embassy. But this was a 4 player no AI game, so everything is fairgame for eveybody

ERIKK
04-06-2003, 17:55
yeah

so dont do it!

anarres
04-06-2003, 18:37
hmm, it's not as though the AI has a chance, they are the tools of the humans.

Other things can be done in diplo, why not this?

Aggie
04-06-2003, 18:49
Exactly how I see it anarres. We can also make long peace deals and ma's before they exist. Non-agression pacts, etc...

DrAlimentado
04-06-2003, 19:04
I think it's fine... who are you exploiting? the AI? dosen't count in PBEM imho. You are trying to beat your opponent, not the computer.

In my games I say RoP rape is allowed, spying to get a war declared, etc etc. I wouldn't do (most) of these things in a solo game but I have an entirely different outlook in pbem games :D

And in this case as it's a human + human deal (assuming it's 1v1) then who can complain? How can anyone else who's not playing this game tell you how you should play? It's not like it's GOTM! ;)

WildFire
04-06-2003, 21:29
Well, the AI already knows where everything is already so it doesnt really matter. So that raises the question on why the AI would ever want to trade maps.

ERIKK
04-06-2003, 21:58
lets vote!
it will make Map Making obsolete...

Aggie
04-06-2003, 22:03
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

lets vote!
it will make Map Making obsolete...

It won't make MM obsolete. You still need to be able to trade maps with the AI.

anarres
04-06-2003, 22:28
Also, if either of the 2 players in a head-to-head decide not to do it there is no deal. In this case you shouldn't be able to decide what 2 people want to do in their game.

For games with more than 2 players I think they should vote between all the players to decide.

ProPain
12-06-2003, 11:26
I'm with anarres on this one. It's up to the players to decide wether they want to allow this or not.

Cartouche Bee
12-06-2003, 18:23
Just fix the damn program, it's not reasonable to be able to supply a map to make a trade, without the tech.

DrAlimentado
12-06-2003, 20:36
huh? this is talking about when the maps cannot be traded in-game (before MM), so you would take a screenshot and send it to your opponent outside of the game...

Cartouche Bee
12-06-2003, 21:57
hehe, you won't be getting maps from me outside the game before Map Making, probably not after either, inside the game, that is (well not directly anyway). ;)