PDA

View Full Version : BtS Pitboss game?

IglooDude
28-06-2007, 18:54
At this point I have a machine I can use for a BtS pitboss game, and I plan on buying BtS within a day or so of its release. Sooo...

If I launch a pitboss game, it'll probably be a "CivIVor" continuation (i.e. the CFC OT crowd and folks here being invited, so over a dozen players for sure) and it'll definitely be with my "DMs allowed except as part of war declaration" rule. Aside from that, and a leaning toward no tech trading or vassalage, I'm open to suggestions. And I'm wondering about a something-other-than ancient age start.

So - who else here is figuring on getting BtS by the end of July and would be interested in signing up (don't bother trying to claim a civ yet), and any suggestions for the game settings?

Beam
28-06-2007, 19:33
I would be interested but probably can't be available at the start.

killercane
28-06-2007, 20:16
I will get it. I would speculate there will have to be some new rules made on the fly, depending on how some of the new features work, like the Apostolic Palace. Were you thinking about the Advanced Start option where you buy stuff beforehand for your empire? That could have an interesting flavor.

mauer
28-06-2007, 21:57
I'll sign up, I have it pre-ordered from amazon.com

Tubby Rower
28-06-2007, 23:23
I'd be interested in playing but the problem is that I can't commit to playing everyday. Maybe I could team up with someone else in a similar predicament and be two playing as one? At least the spoiler would be a little more involved than a notmal one.

BCLG100
28-06-2007, 23:53
i'd play though i doubt i'll get BtS on the day it comes out but a week or so after, i agree on the vassalage and tech trading things, maks diplo a lot easier.

failedreality
29-06-2007, 03:10
i think I will be getting it within days after release. So you could count me in on a spot..

Thanks

Davo
29-06-2007, 12:27
Sign me up, i'll buy it on day of UK release (July 20th according to Amazon).

IglooDude
29-06-2007, 12:33
My rough plan is that once I get a pitboss machine going for it, I'll put up a test game and whoever logs in reserves a spot, the real game starting when all the slots in the test game are filled or a couple weeks, whichever comes first.

I am thinking about using the Advanced Start (thanks killercane, I couldn't think of the term), it'd certainly make the "move one unit and hit enter for the first month" routine go away.

IglooDude
29-06-2007, 14:20
Oh, and also - I'm also looking for a referee (or two, even) once the game starts. Whomp fulfilled this role admirably in the CivIVor Warlords game and it worked well, since I can't make unbiased rulings when it comes to in-game rule issues. Though since DMing is the most common issue requiring a ruling and this game will mostly allow DMs, the job should be even easier here.

Robboo
29-06-2007, 15:18
I would like to play...dont know if I will have it when it comes out. If not I will gladly be a referee or an alternate turn player.

Matrix
29-06-2007, 17:51
By the end of July I'll have BtS, so count me in! :)

Beam
29-06-2007, 17:55
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

By the end of July I'll have BtS, so count me in! :)

Where did you order it?

Matrix
29-06-2007, 20:24
Did I have to order it? I reckon it'll be on the shelves by then... [rolleyes]

Beam
29-06-2007, 21:43
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Did I have to order it? I reckon it'll be on the shelves by then... [rolleyes]

Maybe...

Amazon UK lists release at 20 July at 16,99 (that island currency) and bol.com 29 July (19,99 euro which is very reasonable if it brings what it promises).

Not exactly the shelves in its exact definition but it might be possible indeed.

Whomp
29-06-2007, 22:00
I will be getting it and would be interested in either partnering with Tubby or doing my own gig.

mauer
30-06-2007, 00:20
I don't know if it's possible, don't see why it wouldn't be, but can you have two Civs on pitboss? That might be an interesting idea. Someone would have to balance the map though to make sure the same person didn't have two civs next to eachother. Might be fun with two different continents with each person having a civ on either one.

Robi D
30-06-2007, 02:51
I will be getting it however on last check it wont arrive down here until mid august. If you can hold off starting for a few weeks i would be interested. If not i'm happy to share with someone.

BCLG100
30-06-2007, 11:32
quote:Originally posted by mauer

I don't know if it's possible, don't see why it wouldn't be, but can you have two Civs on pitboss? That might be an interesting idea. Someone would have to balance the map though to make sure the same person didn't have two civs next to eachother. Might be fun with two different continents with each person having a civ on either one.

We sorta tried that with civs vs civs, both civs had a permanent alliance with the other but nothing ended up coming on it as there were restrictions on trading.

Robi D
01-07-2007, 04:15
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

We sorta tried that with civs vs civs, both civs had a permanent alliance with the other but nothing ended up coming on it as there were restrictions on trading.

I think that was due to a bug because it was a custom map.

IglooDude
02-07-2007, 12:10
quote:Originally posted by Robi D

I think that was due to a bug because it was a custom map.

Based on what I saw, it was the result of changing a PBEM game into a pitboss game.

If someone has a fix for it, send me a savefile and I'll fire it up on a pitboss machine to test it out, but otherwise I'm going to avoid administering pitboss games started that way.

IanDC
12-07-2007, 15:57
I've got it on order so should get it when it's out in the UK.
I'd be interested if you need any more players, somebody just killed me in one of my other pitboss games so I've got an empty slot. [goodjob]

IglooDude
12-07-2007, 18:13
quote:Originally posted by IanDC

I'd be interested if you need any more players, somebody just killed me in one of my other pitboss games so I've got an empty slot. [goodjob]

[yeah] That guy in the other game is quite a bastard, from everything I'm told. [lol]

Anyway, welcome and I'll be posting a thread here (and at CFC) announcing the BtS game firing up, the 'primary thread' will be at CFC OT though.

BCLG100
12-07-2007, 19:07
Seems like you shall have a lot of interest in it ID! handy that civivor warlords is coming to a conclusion soon, did you ever finish the vanilla one?

Beam
12-07-2007, 21:03
ID when do you plan to start the game? I'll be leaving for holiday a little more than a week from now and back two weeks after and I'd hate to miss it just because of that.

BCLG100
12-07-2007, 21:32
it'll take a month of talking about it at cfc and going over the same thing over and over again before anything happens so i doubt you have to worry beam ;)

i'll argue about wanting an archi map especially to hold things up :D

akots
12-07-2007, 21:37
I've also preordered BtS. It'll be shipped around sometimes early in August due to some delay from Take2. I'm not sure though that starting new game right away is a good idea. Experience tells that playing unpatched game of Civ series can be a risky endeavor.

BCLG100
12-07-2007, 21:55
but we can always patch up halfway through, the saves seem to be compaitble most of the time.

mauer
12-07-2007, 22:25
Bah, CFC? I never go there...they've got really creepy mods :D

Beam
12-07-2007, 23:58
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

quote:Originally posted by IanDC

[yeah] That guy in the other game is quite a bastard, from everything I'm told. [lol]

Anyway, welcome and I'll be posting a thread here (and at CFC) announcing the BtS game firing up, the 'primary thread' will be at CFC OT though.

What is a CFC and what is an OT? :D

akots
13-07-2007, 00:01
but we can always patch up halfway through, the saves seem to be compaitble most of the time.

The problem is not with patching but with the bugs especially the ones which are unknown at the time the game is played.

IglooDude
13-07-2007, 00:08

Seems like you shall have a lot of interest in it ID! handy that civivor warlords is coming to a conclusion soon, did you ever finish the vanilla one?

Not beyond the LAoD victory. We couldn't agree on a good time for the four survivors to get together to have it out, and Ybbor kinda disappeared for a while, so it faded away and I just chalk it up as "LAoD won".

IglooDude
13-07-2007, 00:12

it'll take a month of talking about it at cfc and going over the same thing over and over again before anything happens so i doubt you have to worry beam ;)

i'll argue about wanting an archi map especially to hold things up :D

It depends on how quickly I can get a pitboss machine going, really. I'm also going to see about whether I can get a 32-player mod for the game (similar to the 32-player Warlords game that OverloadUT got going, except not indefinitely paused like his is) and if that happens I think anyone who wants to play will be able to.

BCLG100
13-07-2007, 00:27
yeah, but why stop at 32? get that 42 or whatever mod on the go!

only drawback with all that was, so many drop outs(me included)+ immensly long loading times.

IglooDude
13-07-2007, 15:30

only drawback with all that was, so many drop outs(me included)+ immensly long loading times.

That's true.

Maybe instead of a 32-player game, I'll just get something rigged where I can run multiple pitboss games on a single server and organize a civ-off, with as many simultaneous 4-player games as can be filled, with the 4-player winners advancing to semifinals or finals.

Hmmm...

grahamiam
13-07-2007, 15:31

That's true.

Maybe instead of a 32-player game, I'll just get something rigged where I can run multiple pitboss games on a single server and organize a civ-off, with as many simultaneous 4-player games as can be filled, with the 4-player winners advancing to semifinals or finals.

Hmmm...

that would be wickedly cool [coool]

Robi D
13-07-2007, 16:51
It would be a lot of fun having qualifications for the final, but it would require a lot of work getting it set up so that its as equal as possible

IglooDude
13-07-2007, 16:54
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

That's true.

Hmmm...

that would be wickedly cool [coool]

Yeah, Strategamer had a 1v1 tournament (8 players total I think) going for a bit, but it was PBEM and less than half the first-round games finished in time (if at all - and my game vs Azza was one of the unfinished ones). At least with Pitboss if someone drops out the game continues and it is clear who fell by the wayside.

grahamiam
13-07-2007, 17:13

It would be a lot of fun having qualifications for the final, but it would require a lot of work getting it set up so that its as equal as possible

I wouldn't put too much thought into that as it's all in fun anyways. Plus, if you do it early enough, not enough people will know all the in-and-outs wrt new BtS strategies, at least not till the 2nd round.

Since BtS adds more emphasis to the later ages, you could even make them Industrial era starts with smaller maps or something. Would make the games play faster as well.

mauer
13-07-2007, 22:10
That's true.

Hmmm...

Now I'd pay for that! Not really, but I'd play [hyper]

Robi D
14-07-2007, 03:51
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

I wouldn't put too much thought into that as it's all in fun anyways. Plus, if you do it early enough, not enough people will know all the in-and-outs wrt new BtS strategies, at least not till the 2nd round.

Since BtS adds more emphasis to the later ages, you could even make them Industrial era starts with smaller maps or something. Would make the games play faster as well.

I really like that idea since its a new feature its a level playing field and it means those games don't take to long to finish [beer1]

IglooDude
17-07-2007, 17:14
Oh, and by the way

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=231593

killercane
17-07-2007, 18:56
Later eras will be nice to play with; most of the new units are simply rush units. We dont want everyone playing Sitting Bull rushing everyone with dog soldiers and triple promoted archers :(.

IglooDude
17-07-2007, 23:01
quote:Originally posted by killercane

Later eras will be nice to play with; most of the new units are simply rush units. We dont want everyone playing Sitting Bull rushing everyone with dog soldiers and triple promoted archers :(.

Why not? [estwing]

But yeah, for the tournament starting in later eras would definitely make things more interesting, and probably quicker.

BCLG100
17-07-2007, 23:07
i'd still prefer the grand final (if i'd make it) to be a full game or a renaissance start.

Robi D
19-07-2007, 14:09
How funny is this, i went into the store to pre order BTS and there is a copy staring me in the face:D

Looks like the whole world is getting it before the americans, just the way it should be[lol]

I'd say for the main game to be a full game too

socralynnek
19-07-2007, 14:16
Yeah maybe a shorter one until the real patch comes and then a full main game.

Tubby Rower
19-07-2007, 14:16
that's fine... you guys work out the bugs, and they'll have a patch ready by Monday [lol]

Beam
19-07-2007, 14:19
I don't plan to install BtS until more is clear about how it interferes with the Warlords and Vanilla installtion and the impact it has on Warlords Pitboss games. http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4569

Darkness
19-07-2007, 15:22
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

that's fine... you guys work out the bugs, and they'll have a patch ready by Monday [lol]

Monday seems a bit optimistic... ;)

Then again, some Civ versions did desperately need a patch that fast, so you never know... [tongue]

BCLG100
19-07-2007, 15:29
best bug was that civ3 one where you could request like 99999999 gold from a leader and they'd hand it over happily.

IglooDude
19-07-2007, 15:49
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

Yeah maybe a shorter one until the real patch comes and then a full main game.

The tournament finale will be a full game, I figure.

And the initial BtS pitboss game I get going (hopefully early next week) will be a test game just to make sure everything runs right and people can connect to it, it'll only be after that and these questions about versioning and needing an urgent patch being answered to my satisfaction that I'll actually launch the CivIVor and tournament games.

killercane
19-07-2007, 21:35
I spy... a potentially very powerful exploit that will be nerfed come patch time.

Robboo
19-07-2007, 21:42

I spy... a potentially very powerful exploit that will be nerfed come patch time.

Want to share that with us so we can watch for it against less honest people at other sites.

killercane
19-07-2007, 21:48
Let me get the game first to see if Im right. And then Ill tell you if you will leave me alone in Civivor!

Robi D
20-07-2007, 08:38
So what do you do if one pitboss game your in is patched and another one isn't since they are not compatible?

Robboo
20-07-2007, 12:54

Let me get the game first to see if Im right. And then Ill tell you if you will leave me alone in Civivor!

How a about a definite...maybe...:)
Besides...I dont want your city I am only killing the things around it.

Robi D...Dual install.

Robi D
20-07-2007, 13:31

I'm guessing your talking about espionage, and its not exploitable in fact its briliant.

It doesn't work in absolute values but compares the amount of EP's two nations spend on each other and that varies the costs. For example greece and rome are spying on each other if they have both spent 50EP's on each other the spying mission values are equal if rome has spent 100EP's and greece 50 on each other then romes spying missions get cheaper and greece more expensive however if you spend too much EP's on 1 nation a third nation might get the jump on you so its a big balancing act. Plus you can always see what each nation has spent on each other in the new f4 screen so you can't get jumped. Alos you don't automatically see the graphs of people you meet you have to spend EP's to see that:D

I have to say its the 1st time ever my science slider left 100% after only 20 turns of the game:D

Robi D
20-07-2007, 13:36
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

How a about a definite...maybe...:)
Besides...I dont want your city I am only killing the things around it.

Robi D...Dual install.

How do you dual install since the game automatically searches for copies of itself when loading. I don't you if you can do it manually but it would definately be a pain to do so. Anyway i deleted and reinstalled so i'm fine for now. I would be playing BTS too much this week anyway, work is flat out so i'll be working all weekend

IglooDude
20-07-2007, 16:52
How do you dual install since the game automatically searches for copies of itself when loading. I don't you if you can do it manually but it would definately be a pain to do so. Anyway i deleted and reinstalled so i'm fine for now. I would be playing BTS too much this week anyway, work is flat out so i'll be working all weekend

http://civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4573

Beam
20-07-2007, 17:13
The installer / patcher simply looks at default paths first and if it finds something there it is as happy as a pig in shit.

killercane
20-07-2007, 20:10

I'm guessing your talking about espionage, and its not exploitable in fact its briliant.

It doesn't work in absolute values but compares the amount of EP's two nations spend on each other and that varies the costs. For example greece and rome are spying on each other if they have both spent 50EP's on each other the spying mission values are equal if rome has spent 100EP's and greece 50 on each other then romes spying missions get cheaper and greece more expensive however if you spend too much EP's on 1 nation a third nation might get the jump on you so its a big balancing act. Plus you can always see what each nation has spent on each other in the new f4 screen so you can't get jumped. Alos you don't automatically see the graphs of people you meet you have to spend EP's to see that:D

I have to say its the 1st time ever my science slider left 100% after only 20 turns of the game:D

Well thats certainly one of the most powerful ones, theres a couple I have noticed. The problem is not with the addition of espionage in general, its just too darn powerful. A person can kill another before they know what hit them and without them being able to fight back with foment unhappiness (+8 unhappies in a town on normal speed for 8 turns). Especially if they have one of the target civ's neighbors target the other city with a spy as well, or turn up their spy slider. You probably can whip at most once when the stack double moves into your territory.

In the later game this wont be as big of a problem, but in the early game, if you dont go for Alphabet immediately you are screwed, and your neighbors if they are smart know this. I guess Ninjas ARE better than pirates after all huh?

Robboo
20-07-2007, 20:26
dam sounds like a whole new game... CIV 5 ?

BCLG100
20-07-2007, 20:29
Can only hope they tone it down a bit, theres enough to worry about it than freakin spies wandering around.

Robi D
21-07-2007, 09:52

Well thats certainly one of the most powerful ones, theres a couple I have noticed. The problem is not with the addition of espionage in general, its just too darn powerful. A person can kill another before they know what hit them and without them being able to fight back with foment unhappiness (+8 unhappies in a town on normal speed for 8 turns). Especially if they have one of the target civ's neighbors target the other city with a spy as well, or turn up their spy slider. You probably can whip at most once when the stack double moves into your territory.

In the later game this wont be as big of a problem, but in the early game, if you dont go for Alphabet immediately you are screwed, and your neighbors if they are smart know this. I guess Ninjas ARE better than pirates after all huh?

That would take a lot of time to pull off and if your checking the balance of EP's spent then they can't catch you by surprise. From what i've seen i don't think its overpowered, its another option to try to reach a goal. It definately makes the game more intresting during the slower periods. At the end of the day have a whole load of troops is still the easiest way to do a lot of damage to someone. The one thing that does seem overpowerful from what other people have said (i'm just leaving the medieval era) is tactical nuke. It seem you can just build a whole bunch of these and be almost assured that no one can attack you successfully.

Robboo
21-07-2007, 14:24
man come on monday.....

tactical nukes sound like an interesting option for invasions. Especially well dug in forces.

Robi D
22-07-2007, 06:03
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

man come on monday.....

tactical nukes sound like an interesting option for invasions. Especially well dug in forces.

I have to say from my point of view this is what civ4 should have been like from the begining. Its still early in my game (damn overtime at work) but everything looks great. Also with the AP bringing diplomacy into the game a lot eariler along with the spying means there are not too many dull turns, there is always something to look out for. Also the random events add a nice flavor to the game, they arn't big enough to change the course of a game but they can give it a nudge.

All in all i doubt to many people will be dissapointed.

Before i forget the final frontier scenario looks fantastic, still trying to work it out and will probably get owned by the AI at some point

IglooDude
31-07-2007, 20:49
Okay gang, with Socralynnek winning the CDZ Grouphug game (still not sure why I started calling it that, but whatever), I've got another pitboss server freed up shortly.

Thus, in addition to the CivIVor: BtS and general tournament games I am planning, I should be able to fire up a CDZ-specific game as well. Only rule that I won't budge on (due to it causing me too much grief as game administrator otherwise) is that doublemoves are allowed. Other than that, anyone have any preference for settings?

Robboo
31-07-2007, 20:53
ID a think go for a continents game...this pangea stuff is getting old. So what if resources are not balanced, throws a bit of luck into things and helps to force people to do something other than get BW as soon as possible

Oh and I am interested in all 3 games or as many as I am allowed in.. I cant get enough pitboss...I am addicted.

mauer
31-07-2007, 22:33
Am I too late? I got bts in the mail yesterday. I'm patched and loaded :D

BCLG100
31-07-2007, 23:20
Could we play some form of two person team game? say on continents, two massive continents with one member on each team? 6 teams=12 people, could do always war or summit.

anyways just an idea :)

i call being native americans!

IglooDude
01-08-2007, 00:09

Am I too late? I got bts in the mail yesterday. I'm patched and loaded :D

http://civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4581 :D

Matrix
21-08-2007, 00:02
I kinda forgot about this. Is there a game running already? I can't find any indication that it is...

BCLG100
21-08-2007, 00:38
at cfc yes.