PDA

View Full Version : Et tu, Sid?

grahamiam
16-06-2007, 04:33
My heart quakes :(

quote:"Thanks to the launch of platforms like PlayStation 3 the time is finally right for this transition," he explained. "Computers no longer have the edge on set-top systems. The technology is there; the audience is ready for deeper and more gripping experiences; and the bar's formally been raised in terms of enthusiasts' expectations. I hate to use the word convergence, but I don't know how else to describe the situation... The timing couldn't be more perfect."

Meier's comments seem to reflect a persistent trend in the industry – more and more developers who used to focus solely on the PC realm are making the transition to consoles.

Is CIV the last of the Civilization series to be on a PC? Must I use a controller to whip the peasants into an Axeman? Will we get tard music with every victory?

Fuck consoles. When is the last time anyone has played a deep, strategic game on a 360? a PS3? an NES? Those things are made for people to sit on the couch and hit W,X,Y,Z buttons to figure out wtf they need to do. I remember trying to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the NES, fucking hated it. 2 buttons and a ball of shit, that was. Fuck consoles, they have no place in games like CIV. Which leads me to beleive that Firaxis is planning on making more twitching dumb-shit games than grand scale strategy... Might as well buy BTS, because that's probably the last game I'll play from Firaxis...

Please excuse the melodrama, I've been watching Serenity + Robot Chicken all night whilst drinking vast quantities of Pinot Grigio, so when I found this I was pissed (in more ways than one).

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16520

Oh well, back to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. [beer1]

akots
16-06-2007, 06:03
Well, I do agree here. However, you need some brain to be able to play a game on a PC. One does not need any brain part apart from one which is inserting the disk to play a game on PS3. In general, Civ is supposed to need at least some kind of a brain to play. So, IMHO, Sid is contradicting himself here. One can play a thousand games of Civ and still learn nothing if there is nothing there underneath the skull bone.

Of course, PC is getting more simple and PS3 is getting more complicated. This does not mean that people are getting better however. But don't take that seriously, I'm not having some Pinot, it was an old good Guinness. And not the Stalker but NWN2 which is a great game, seriously. And I mean it.

Shabbaman
16-06-2007, 08:57
They already brought Pirates! to the xbox and PSP.

Matrix
16-06-2007, 12:17
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Fuck consoles.
[hammer]

socralynnek
16-06-2007, 12:51
I agree with you. Doing the next Civ purely on a console would be plain stupid.

Pastorius
16-06-2007, 12:54
Darn tootin.

Just thinking about navigation using those controls [ack]

IglooDude
16-06-2007, 14:21
They might port it to a console, but I just can't imagine them dropping the PC as a platform - they've got a huge fanbase on PCs and (AFAIK) pretty much none on consoles, so going purely to a console would cost them serious revenue.

Beorn
17-06-2007, 01:55
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

They might port it to a console, but I just can't imagine them dropping the PC as a platform - they've got a huge fanbase on PCs and (AFAIK) pretty much none on consoles, so going purely to a console would cost them serious revenue.

!

grahamiam
29-06-2007, 02:11
quote:2K Announces Civilization® Revolution™ - Sid Meier's First Game for Next Generation Consoles
Legendary designer Sid Meier builds the Civilization#65533; experience from the ground up for consoles

New York, NY - June 28, 2007 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it will publish Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, the first next generation game designed by world famous game designer Sid Meier. Slated for a spring 2008 release for next generation consoles and handhelds, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is being developed by Firaxis Games™, 2K's world-renowned development studio.

Sid Meier put computer gaming on the map when he delivered Civilization® to the gaming world, launching the "God Game" genre and creating one of the most award-winning and addictive strategy series of all time, including Sid Meier's Civilization IV™, the Gamespy and GameSpot 2005 Game of the Year. Driven by sheer passion for the game concept, Meier is now handcrafting a brand-new Civilization experience designed and built from scratch for next gen consoles and handhelds.

"Civilization Revolution is the game I've always wanted to make!" said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. "We are excited to take advantage of the power of next generation consoles and the ingenuity of handhelds, to create a great and unique strategy game for newcomers to the series, as well as the millions of fans around the world who enjoy Civilization on the PC."

In Civilization, players strive to become ruler of the world by establishing and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the space age - waging war, conducting diplomacy, discovering technologies, going head-to-head with some of history's greatest leaders, and building the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is a watershed game, offering players a chance to experience the epic empire-building world of Civilization in an all new accessible, visually immersive, and action-packed world specifically designed for the console and handheld gamer. Delivering Civilization's renowned epic single-player campaigns featuring vast re-playability and unmatched addictive gameplay as well as revolutionary features like real-time interaction with leaders and advisors, extensive multiplayer capabilities and integrated video and voice chat, it will completely transport the Civilization series to a level of gameplay that fans have never seen before.

"Civilization is one of the world's top selling PC game series with more than 8 million units sold, and continues to be recognized as one of the greatest franchises ever created," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "We are excited to have Sid Meier getting back to his roots as the game's Lead Designer to carry on its legacy with Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution."

Some of the key features that will resonate with fans of strategy games and the Civilization franchise include 16 civilizations to master and lead to victory, an array of famous historical leaders to play as or compete against, and accessible maps and streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action. In online multiplayer mode, players will compete for world conquest and glory among their peers as they battle in teams, head-to-head or epic free-for-all matches. In addition, auto-matching, ranked games, leaderboards, achievements, downloadable extra content and integrated video and voice chat make the online play more versatile and fun than any previous version of Civilization and will allow players to see where they stand against the competition. Finally, the position of ruler of the world can be settled online.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution will be released in spring 2008 for next generation consoles and handhelds. For more information please visit http://www.civilization.com/.

Civ, the console version...

mauer
29-06-2007, 02:16
Yeah, I'd probably buy it. Just being honest. The boy has a PS2 and a PSP, and it could be fun with him I suppose.

grahamiam
29-06-2007, 03:13
I'd buy it for the DS if it's decent.

Whomp
29-06-2007, 04:16
Don't have a console and don't want one. I'm done if the PC version is done.

Robboo
29-06-2007, 05:25
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Don't have a console and don't want one. I'm done if the PC version is done.

yep....

Have to move on to other pc games....

romeothemonk
29-06-2007, 13:26
I don't know. This could just be a wild marketing scheme. I will probably not play too many more computer games after civ 4 anyway just due to what I want to do with my personal time.

ProPain
25-10-2007, 13:54
Bought a Wii for last xmas. First console I ever bought in my life, used to be one of the fuck consoles crowd myself but the whole movement sensor control thingie made me too curious.

All in all not that bad, I've always like adventure games and they're quite some good/fun ones on the Wii. Biggest drawback of a console: it uses our tele. I thought that would lure my better half into playing a bit but instead I cant play cause she wants to watch the tele. [wallbash]

Will I buy Civ Revolution? Dunno, depends heavily on reviews. And with keyboards being able to work on consoles nowadays it might just be possible to have a normal interface :)

Shabbaman
25-10-2007, 13:57
Who are you? ;)

This sounds like a good excuse to buy a beamer. And suddenly I picture you waving around the wiimote, trying to make your spearman beat a tank. Heh. Believe me, it looks hilarious.

ProPain
25-10-2007, 14:34
Hehe, I must admit I played mostly old shit on the virtual console function lately (Zelda, paper mario, pacman) so not much wielding of wiimotes for me.

Although I love to wield a spear and beat a tank!

Sir Eric
07-12-2007, 08:23
Uh oh!! Is this the right thread for me to mention that the whole reason I got into CivII CivIII and CivIV was cause I brought a playstation and the first game I ever brought was CivII?