PDA

View Full Version : Vista! (and more)

Shabbaman
08-06-2007, 23:31
Yup.

I installed Vista. On my new computer. Some ridiculous specs, won't bother you with it, put let's just put it this way: now I can play very large maps.
On the downside, I have to transfer a lot of files from my old computer, and install all programs (well, civ4 and battlefield2, plus getting my old emails out of thunderbird and into a new thunderbird). So, no civ4 for now, unless I hook on my other computer. I'll have to, because of that pitboss you know... I need to find a second monitor so I can set up a network. I tried to install the old HD, but that wasn't really possible because the cable that's attached to the DVD cable is too short [xx(]

I might bore you with an endless rant on installing computer cooling fans btw [punch]

mauer
08-06-2007, 23:39
Did you already have the computer, or is it new? I got a new computer a few months back, and they're (Dell) supposed to send us Vista as a free upgrade. I'm guessing you like it?

Shabbaman
08-06-2007, 23:50
I like that my new computer works. I have no I idea if I like Vista. Yet. If civ works, I think I'll like it ;)

Melifluous
09-06-2007, 01:19
I've seen Vista, looks very nice. Bit of a Mac ripoff but might pursuade people to switch away from Windows...

If you want any PC help please bore me with specs or problems, it's kinda my job...

[meli]

Shabbaman
09-06-2007, 10:05
Well, if I start up my computer I hear 3 second beeps. Motherboard alert messages, I've yet to figure out what. Oh well...
Oh, my monitor and mouse remain powered (lights on) while the computer is turned off. Weirrrd.

digger760
11-06-2007, 10:36
I'm confused, you have a new PC and problems with it or the old PC? Or you are just testing Meli (and me)?

With regard to the 3 beeps, check that Graphics card and RAM are seated in there slots properly.

Shabbaman
11-06-2007, 17:00
I think I've figured out what the beeps mean: it's an alert that the CPU fan isn't functioning. Anyway, now that I've disabled that warning, I don't get error messages. It also makes sense, because the fan should only be active when the CPU temperature is above a certain temp, and when I start the computer it's obviously still very cool.

I also figured out what caused the "lights on" problem. In vista, the "power off" button doesn't mean power off, but hibernate (or something). So in fact the computer was still on!

You're right, it could also be a RAM error. Yet the computer functions perfectly otherwise, so I ruled that out.

grahamiam
11-06-2007, 17:57
Shabbaman, your CPU fan should always be on. At least, it's always on for my E6600.

The Vista "powered off but not really" thing is a common annoyance and can be reset correctly.

Use memtest for the ram if you want to be sure, but since you're not having problems, you are probably ok.

Oh, and according to a magazine article I read, CIV works flawlessly in Vista.

barbu1977
11-06-2007, 19:17
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Well, if I start up my computer I hear 3 second beeps. Motherboard alert messages, I've yet to figure out what. Oh well...
Oh, my monitor and mouse remain powered (lights on) while the computer is turned off. Weirrrd.

The motherboard instruction manual is generaly usefull in this case. It happened to me a couple times, on different PCs and each time the manual had an explanation on the number/duration of beeps.

Pastorius
11-06-2007, 20:23
Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beam
11-06-2007, 21:24
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Come on Paal, you can do better than this.

Shabbaman
11-06-2007, 22:13
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Shabbaman, your CPU fan should always be on. At least, it's always on for my E6600.

The Vista "powered off but not really" thing is a common annoyance and can be reset correctly.

Use memtest for the ram if you want to be sure, but since you're not having problems, you are probably ok.

Oh, and according to a magazine article I read, CIV works flawlessly in Vista.

You're probably right about the memtest, good thing to do with new memory.
But why should the cpu fan be always on? I've managed to get this huge clump of metal screwed on top of it (barely, stupid plastic clamps), which should be able to lead most of it's heat away. I've set it's speed to be adapted to the CPU temperature. And when I turned off the "fan not working" alert, I had no more alerts. For the interested people among you (everybody besides paal I guess), it's an Arctic Freezer pro 7.

I haven't tried to install civ4 yet, that has to wait until tomorrow because I'm really tired and I need to get some sleep. No pitboss for me today, unfortunately [cry]

Beam
11-06-2007, 23:23
OK, this from experience with a mobo about 2 years old.

Firstly the BIOS should be aware it has to do temp control. Secondly a driver might be needed to actually perform the temp control. Thirdly settings in XP (I know shit about Vista) should be set. Apart from that make sure something is measuring CPU temp and is sending it to the mobo, pure HW shit.

Last but not least a slowly revolving fan can do both a very good cooling job and be below a typical household noiselevel and imo that's what you should aim at.

If you've tried all of this and still doesn't work look for passive cooling of the graphics card and one or more Zalman fans for CPU and case cooling.

grahamiam
12-06-2007, 02:50
Shabbaman, a good temp tool that I use for my E6600 is Core Temp. Reads both cores. I also have speedfan which is also useful for checking the voltages on the various rails from your PSU as well as fan speed. If you're not having problems, you're probably ok.

I looked at buying an Artic Freezer Pro 7, ended up with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon cause I found it dirt cheap at a CompUSA that was going out of business. Right now, with both my CPU cores temp at ~32C, it's running at about 1450 RPM. Room temp is around 23-25C.