PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Wesnoth

Beam
26-04-2007, 23:02
Found this gem today while browsing the Ubuntu forums searching for something else. Luck happens!

Battle for Wesnoth is a turn based strat game set in a fantasy world (LotR kinda stuff) and is nicely focussed on combat and ease of use in campaigns build of several maps. Very addictive to be honest.

There are several factions with over a 100 different units, SP and MP and it seems a large number of campaigns is available. Best of all it is under GPL so free as in free beer and available for most OS including Windoze and Linux! :)

It actually is developed by CFC veteran Sirp and it indeed feels some aspects from Civ are in it. The AI also feels pretty good and it is straightforward about combat so no worries about buildings, wonders and micromanagement. And terrain plays a crucial role in battles. Here is typical pic btw:

"Internal server error" (shit happens as well) [rant]

Here is the website: http://www.wesnoth.org/

And a good impression of developers philosophy: http://wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1158 I love it. :)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007426231523_wesnoth-1.2-bsmaller.jpg
134.98KB

Socrates
27-04-2007, 01:10
quote:Originally posted by Beam

it is under GPL so free as in free beer

Nitpicking, but I think you meant "free as in free speech", uh ? Doesn't prevent it from being free as in free beer as well of course. ;)

Is this the GPL game which has very nice reviews and seems to be a reference ? So this is what this Sirp dude had been working on for so long...

akots
27-04-2007, 04:14
Sounds like fun, will try it one day.

Beam
27-04-2007, 11:35
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

it is under GPL so free as in free beer

Nitpicking, but I think you meant "free as in free speech", uh ? Doesn't prevent it from being free as in free beer as well of course. ;)

Is this the GPL game which has very nice reviews and seems to be a reference ? So this is what this Sirp dude had been working on for so long...

I always confuse the speech and the beer [beer1] [lol]

Pastorius
27-04-2007, 15:23
Didnt I post a thread about this in the past?

Pastorius
27-04-2007, 15:26
Perhaps not on this forum...

Beam
27-04-2007, 16:33
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Dunno, I checked Other Games

Beam
27-04-2007, 16:34

quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Dunno, I checked Other Games

And Other Other Games

barbu1977
27-04-2007, 16:49
The look reminds me Age of Wonders.

I'll probably going to give it a try,

ProPain
28-04-2007, 09:47
quote:Originally posted by barbu1977

The look reminds me Age of Wonders.

I'll probably going to give it a try,

me too times two:)

Read some previews on Triumph studio's new game (makers of AoW) and they looked pretty good. I'll see if I can get them and post links

Rik Meleet
29-04-2007, 03:30
Nice game.

barbu1977
30-04-2007, 18:23
Started to play yesterday.

It's a fun game, it's like a turn based real time strategy.

The game desing is like a mid-90's game.