PDA

View Full Version : Meet.....

Lt. Killer M
25-04-2007, 23:31
Silja

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9656/silja01ne6.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1598/img2222kleinky8.jpg

born yesterday morning - at 4 a.m., it had to be obviously. She is already difficult ;)

Lt. Killer M
25-04-2007, 23:35
And yes, she has my nose, lips, and angry/distrusting look!

Beam
25-04-2007, 23:45
Just that look in the first pic, a real Killer! Congrats to both ladies and you! [cheerl]

Lt. Killer M
25-04-2007, 23:47
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Just that look in the first pic, a real Killer! Congrats to both ladies and you! [cheerl]

thanks, Beam! :)
I LOVE my new camera - it is perfect for this occasion! Btw: the eyes are very dark blue, but I suspect they will turn brown later.

grahamiam
26-04-2007, 00:16
[band] congrats! welcome to Fatherhood :) Now go change a diaper or something...

Socrates
26-04-2007, 00:25
Congrats ! [goodjob] Best wishes to the 3 of you.

I hope she'll specialize in guerilla warfare. [mischief]

romeothemonk
26-04-2007, 00:34
Congrats!!
Enjoy the fun!!

barbu1977
26-04-2007, 00:36
Wooo, the family is getting bigger.

Congratulations.

akots
26-04-2007, 02:54
[beer1] That is so sweet! [cry]

Tubby Rower
26-04-2007, 03:10
That's awesome Killler. Is the name mispelled [lol] ? My wife was oogling at her. Boy am I glad that I had that vasectomy ;)

Whomp
26-04-2007, 03:17
Very nice.
Congrats Killer and especially Mrs. Killer!!

Now you get to do as my friends say happened to them.
You get to sleep like a baby...

sleep for 3 hours wake up and cry
sleep for 3 hours wake up and eat
sleep for 3 hours wake up and crap. :p

Matrix
26-04-2007, 04:08
And yet another Civ-player born!! [goodjob]

Congratulations, Lt. "Killer" M.! ;)

Shabbaman
26-04-2007, 07:34
Cute! Congratulations!

socralynnek
26-04-2007, 08:20
Very very cute!

Congratulations to you and your wife!

Lt. Killer M
26-04-2007, 08:29
Thank you, all!
SO far she is not too troublesome - little crapping, little crying. But I know it gets worse.

And nop, the name is not misspelt!

Darkness
26-04-2007, 09:22
Congratulations!!! :)

Aggie
26-04-2007, 10:43
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Very nice.
Congrats Killer and especially Mrs. Killer!!

Now you get to do as my friends say happened to them.
You get to sleep like a baby...

sleep for 3 hours wake up and cry
sleep for 3 hours wake up and eat
sleep for 3 hours wake up and crap. :p

This is when you are lucky ;)

Congrats Killer!!!!!

digger760
26-04-2007, 11:25
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Thank you, all!
SO far she is not too troublesome - little crapping, little crying. But I know it gets worse.

And nop, the name is not misspelt!

Bah Humbug, it gets better and better....except maybe the transition from guiness like poo to the milk poo.

Congrats and enjoy.

Melifluous
26-04-2007, 11:26
Awesome Killer.

Very cute kid, although it already looks like she's planning some kind of archer rush.

[charge]

[meli]

ProPain
26-04-2007, 11:33
Congratulations! And welcome to sleepless nights, just keep in mind they'll pass soon enough. :)

Kemal
26-04-2007, 11:47
Excellent news Killer, congratulations!

Kingreno
26-04-2007, 11:51
Way too go Killer! I know how you guys feel. Great news indeed!!!

BCLG100
26-04-2007, 14:53
Congratulations killer!! :)

Beorn
26-04-2007, 14:59
That look is priceless

Lt. Killer M
26-04-2007, 22:40
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Very cute kid, although it already looks like she's planning some kind of archer rush.

Hehe, meli, then she would not be my kid! I rather think it is an MW rush ;)

Banzai
27-04-2007, 14:28
WOW! Congrats man! :)
Enjoy

socralynnek
27-04-2007, 14:59
BTW, what would be the name of the kid, if it was a boy?

I guess, you were lucky with your Standesbeamte...sometimes they don't allow rare names (I think I neverheard of Silja before...but it's a pretty cool name...)

I am asking because my sister is still looking for a boy's name, she likes rare names...

Pastorius
27-04-2007, 15:22
Cute kid, Henry :)

Shabbaman
27-04-2007, 22:34
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

I am asking because my sister is still looking for a boy's name, she likes rare names...

Can't answer for killer obviously, but to me it sounds of norse heritage. A very uncommon dutch name is Syl, the name of a seventies tv-show "star". A boy's name, which if it'd be an actual name should be either frisian or scandinavian.

Lt. Killer M
27-04-2007, 23:40
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

BTW, what would be the name of the kid, if it was a boy?

I guess, you were lucky with your Standesbeamte...sometimes they don't allow rare names (I think I neverheard of Silja before...but it's a pretty cool name...)

We have a boy name on the list, but as with Silja, the name stays secret until use..... So you'll have to wait for the next baby... or second next.. etc.

We have not received the birth certificate yet, so the Standesbeamte may veto the name yet, but I know at least 3 Siljas. So no problem. As far as I could ascertain, Silja is the frisian short form of Cecilia or Cäcilie.

We were looking for a name that is
a) not Christian (darn religionists stole the perfectly good Roman 'Marcus', which would have been my fav for a boy [mad])
b) not too long - I had idiotic shorts
c) not too common - can you say Hannah? And Kevin? And Yannick? [aargh]
d) nice sounding and (for a girl) ladylike
e) not - to us - associated with an asshole. I do not want to be reminded to someone I dislike when I see my kids.

So that made the decision rather difficult, but Silja passed all the tests easily, and is (methinks) a very beautiful name.

Lt. Killer M
27-04-2007, 23:42
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Can't answer for killer obviously, but to me it sounds of norse heritage.

Well, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish online dictionaries did not give any hits. So I guess it SOUNDS Scandinavian, but isn't ;)

The only similar word was 'persilja', but I doubt that the name has anything to do with that.

col
28-04-2007, 00:11
Congrats.

Wow. Youre really grown up now.

Rik Meleet
28-04-2007, 02:14
Very many congratulations to Mr and Mrs Killer with baby-Killer :)
Silja; the sleep-Killer.

Shabbaman
28-04-2007, 16:53

quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Can't answer for killer obviously, but to me it sounds of norse heritage.

Well, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish online dictionaries did not give any hits. So I guess it SOUNDS Scandinavian, but isn't ;)

The only similar word was 'persilja', but I doubt that the name has anything to do with that.

*click* (http://www.silja.com/)

Pastorius
28-04-2007, 22:34
Silje is the Norwegian variant

Lt. Killer M
28-04-2007, 22:46
hehe, thanks, [shabba]! I at first thought that the name has something to do with their logo animal, whcih I think is supposed to be a seal. But the online dictionaries did not confirm this.

Lt. Killer M
01-03-2008, 16:13
I've been pretty silent on CDZ, here's why:

As some of you already know, Silja has had a bad time lately, suffering high fevers from a somewhat mysterious bacterial infection. Well, things got worse day before yesterday, when she again developed a high fever, for the third time in a month. This time, we were even more on our toes, and had her in hospital before she started looking sick (but she had a temp of ~39.5° already, and for almost 18 hours!). At the hospital, they wasted an aweful lot of time, which is one reason why I dislike the move to Berlin we will have to do soon (we are in Berlin to look for a house atm, so she's in the Charité now). Berlin has cut back the funding for hospitals so badly that they all are over-full - actually, some little kid spent the night in a pram in the corridor as there was no room for her! [eek]

Again, Silja had to undergo a spinal tab. It was bad enough the first time, and this time they took eternally long. As close to torture as things can get. At least, they lightly sedated her this time, so she came back without the bloody bruises she had last time. Try holding a baby so she can't move while you really hurt her..... All in all, I am surprised how well she takes most thing.

Today, we received the first good news for a while: the fever has finally dropped (paracetamol had had no effect, Ibuprofen only minimal initially), and the docs now have a preliminary idea where that infection might be hiding from the antibiotics. Silja is toothing, and everyone thought her sometimes extremely red and somewhat swollen cheeks to come from that, but today a doc saw her with the redness and the swelling at max. 'This can't be the teeth!' she said - so there is a good chance that the infection can be found in the sinuses, or on the maxillary trigeminus nerve. Much better than if it was hiding in the bone, the brain or heart valves. We're getting knots in your fingers from keeping them crossed. Silja will have to face the full battery of tests possible, including for immune deficiencies (unlikely, though), and we hope to have answers by the end of the week.

Darkness
01-03-2008, 17:00
I'm really sorry to hear this... I can't even imagine what it must be like to have your kid having a disease that can't be found by doctors. You must be feeling incredibly impotent and frustrated...

I hope she gets better soon! Good luck! :)

BCLG100
01-03-2008, 17:58
I hope things get better soon killer :)

Socrates
01-03-2008, 18:07
Sorry to learn that Henry, best hope to the baby and to both of you.

I was remembered by my parents that I almost reached 42 °C someday when I was a little boy. [eek] I think it's pretty high, but I recovered with no problem. Just a little word to ease you a bit about high temperatures, but of course here's hoping the source of pains can be found and cured. :)

Lt. Killer M
01-03-2008, 19:10
thanks, all! :) I jsut got back from the hospital - she looks perfectly fine now to most people. Rita and I know, though, that she is still ill: she is too quickly tired, weeps for no reason, doesn't eat properly, and so on. Well, the current bout is under control - we just hope they find the underlying cause next week and get a grip on it!

On a more positive note: ain't she sweet?
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/818/siljavw0.jpg

Rik Meleet
01-03-2008, 23:24
That's a shock !!

I wish you and Rita strength in these difficult times and a very big "get well" message to Silja.

akots
01-03-2008, 23:55
Hold on there, hopefully everything can be fine.

Markstar
02-03-2008, 13:52
Wow, how did I miss this thread until now?

Anyways, I wish Silja "Gute Besserung" and hope you all get through this!

grahamiam
02-03-2008, 16:20
Wow, this is really heartbreaking to read. I really hope all goes well for Silja and they get to the root cause of the problems this week. Sounds like the doctors are finally getting to the root cause.

Good luck!

Banzai
03-03-2008, 21:32
Awww she looks so cute and funny..
I wish you all the best in the world!

Aggie
04-03-2008, 08:06
Henry, I wish you, your wife and Silja all the best. I'm sure that they are going to find the cause so that she will recover fully soon!

Lt. Killer M
04-03-2008, 14:15
:(

Silja has a mastoiditis, on both sides. That's bad news, as it will most likely require surgery, but much better than some other alternatives. We are quit surprised - usually, this condition is a follow-on of a badly treated middle ear infection. Silja never showed symptoms of that, though. We have been running to the doc whenever she had a fever to have her ears checked out, and there was never any reason to suspect an infection [confused].

we'll know more tomorrow.

BCLG100
04-03-2008, 14:48
Weird that they didnt pick that up sooner. As i'd never heard of the disease before i wiki'd it, is there no chance antibiotics will be able to sort it out?

Hope all gets better :)

Beorn
04-03-2008, 14:58
If there was no earlier signs, I'd definitely try to get an independant diagnosis, just to be on the safe side.

I wish you and her a good recovery!

Lt. Killer M
04-03-2008, 15:06
Antibiotics are perfectly fine, but very few of them can get into spongy bone. In a mild case caught early one can try to punctuate the ear drum (so the puss can get out) and hope the antibiotics clean up the rest. In a case like this one, I am afraid that this will not suffice. And the potential follow-ups are sepsis (which she already had), pneumonia (same) and meningitis (brian fever - so far we#ve been lucky). Sorry, I am not taking any risks at this stage.

Lt. Killer M
04-03-2008, 15:07
quote:Originally posted by Beorn

If there was no earlier signs, I'd definitely try to get an independant diagnosis, just to be on the safe side.

I wish you and her a good recovery!

Both Rita (who is a doc) and I have seen the MRI pics. Even *I* can diagnose this :(

Pastorius
04-03-2008, 20:53
Elise says "aeeeii eiøøø øøøaa"

which I think "means get well soon"

BCLG100
04-03-2008, 21:35

Antibiotics are perfectly fine, but very few of them can get into spongy bone. In a mild case caught early one can try to punctuate the ear drum (so the puss can get out) and hope the antibiotics clean up the rest. In a case like this one, I am afraid that this will not suffice. And the potential follow-ups are sepsis (which she already had), pneumonia (same) and meningitis (brian fever - so far we#ve been lucky). Sorry, I am not taking any risks at this stage.

Oh of course. All the best naturally :)

Lt. Killer M
06-03-2008, 09:55
Rather good news today: Silja had an operation this morning, which went well. It was not necessary to operate on her mastoids, so the docs only drained her ears, removed the ear polyps, and that's hopefully the end of all the trouble!

Darkness
06-03-2008, 10:16

Rather good news today: Silja had an operation this morning, which went well. It was not necessary to operate on her mastoids, so the docs only drained her ears, removed the ear polyps, and that's hopefully the end of all the trouble!

Sounds like good news indeed!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... :)

socralynnek
06-03-2008, 10:27
I hope, now all is well...

And that she recovers from the operation soon!

col
06-03-2008, 10:49
Excellent news, H

BCLG100
06-03-2008, 17:36
Good news :)

Tubby Rower
06-03-2008, 18:39
Wow I think that I missed this because I thought that all of you across the pond were planning on a get-together.

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with Silja. My whole family just got over the flu and I felt the worst about Ethan being sick since he can't communicate as well. (I'm in no way saying that the flu is anywhere near comparable to what you guys are going through) I'm glad to know that they found the main cause of the illness and have already treated it. Little ones are so pitiful when they are ill, but at least the like to snuggle more with you. I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers for strength to get through this.

Matrix
06-03-2008, 19:41
Yea, the big trouble with kids her age is that they can't tell you what's the matter. (Same goes for our cat. [rolleyes])

Lt. Killer M
10-03-2008, 21:30
hey all,

a huge THANK YOU for the kind words!

Silja is much better now, just afraid that anyone in a lab coat will stick needles into her. We hope that the ear infection really was the hideout for the infection - only stopping the antibiotics will tell. We will probably get her home on Friday or Saturday, if we are lucky.

cheers!

BCLG100
11-03-2008, 17:28
Thats great :) really good news.

Lt. Killer M
14-03-2008, 22:45
we're back at the inlaw's now - Silja received her last intravenous dose of antibiotics at lunchtime. After that we were free to go. Rita is totally gaga by now. Nearly five weeks in hospital!!!! I spelled her for two nights this week, and it was horrible. Sleep is interrupted every hour or so, by the nurses, a beeping apparatus, a crying child. If all these fail there's still the emergency copter. That one always works.

As a final farewell the doc screwed up the prescription for the oral antibiotic. For some reason she managed to put Rita on the form, which means that we end up paying it out of our pocket. Talk about incompetence - this was her third strike.

In other news, my grandmother died today after an operation on her broken femoral head.

BCLG100
14-03-2008, 23:12
Sorry about the loss of your grandmother but good news at least about your daughter :)

Sir Eric
17-03-2008, 01:38
Good to hear that your little girl's doing better. Mandy and I both send you and your missus our best wishes, and our condolences for the lost of your gran.

Shabbaman
20-03-2008, 10:54
Sick babies are scary. They're so tiny, you're always afraid the smallest injury will cause permanent harm, or death. I'm happy for you that your little girl is (about) healthy again, that'll save you a lot of stress. Sorry about your grandmother.

Lt. Killer M
02-11-2008, 22:57
a short update :)

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=100&stc=1&d=1225662979
http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=101&stc=1&d=1225662979

Pastorius
02-11-2008, 23:46
Must say she looks like a little Killer.

Now post pics of her concentrating and with a bandana [:D]

Glad to hear things have improved with your daughter, and sorry about your loss man.

Lt. Killer M
03-11-2008, 00:26
Paal: both pics are of Silja!

Pastorius
03-11-2008, 09:20
Erm.

*goes off to hide in a corner

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2009, 15:33
update.

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=247&d=1242394390

Shabbaman
15-05-2009, 16:50
Looks cute and happy. No more illness?

akots
15-05-2009, 17:21
Wow, that is a lot of teeth!

Looks like a very happy and cute baby there in the picture.

ProPain
15-05-2009, 18:44
looks happy and healthy! [goodjob]

Socrates
15-05-2009, 19:24
Tries to strangle the duck-toy and is happy with it BTW. A future Killer II in his own way. :D

Cute.

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2009, 21:55
A future Killer II in his own way.

her!

currently, the lab has the blood samples, and we hope that the tests come OK.

Socrates
15-05-2009, 22:05
her!

Oops ! I guess I cannot recognize kids' sex... [book]

Lt. Killer M
16-05-2009, 00:28
Oops ! I guess I cannot recognize kids' sex... [book]
Nobody can, at that age :p

But it might have helped to check the top of the thread: this is the Silja thread, Adrian has his own (which needs an update, btw).

Pastorius
23-05-2009, 22:44
I guess Killher is most appropriate then