L
E
R

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007416223824_spoiler.jpeg
32.85KB

Told ya. ;)</center>

Beam
16-04-2007, 23:49
First Pitboss game and I think it is going to be fun.

Civ choice mainly is based on having room for expansion. Enough of that in South America although a lot of jungle chopping. So first part of the tech tree will be heavily towards IW.

Closest neighbour is Stapel and I know from experience he likes an early offense and the Jag is a very good unit for that but easily countered with Axes. I also expect a lot of barbs from the Amazone bassin so I don't expect a boring game.

In terms of strategy main focus is on expansion in SA with occasional skirmishes with my dear friend Stapel.

One of the mods made in the map is an opening in the Andes towards the Amazon bassin otherwise it is just a strip along the coast for the Incas.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200741623032_incastartsm.jpg
105.36KB

Rik Meleet
17-04-2007, 12:47
Whereabouts will you dump city #2 ?

Beam
17-04-2007, 13:16
Further N along the coast. I already know there is a desert tile with corn next to it and a dye N. 3rd city will be S on the coast for Bronze but has little else. 4rd city either near the Panama isthmus or in the amazone bassin.

Darkness
17-04-2007, 14:16
why are you keeping the quetcha in Cuzco? You already know where Stapel (aztecs) is, so keeping a look-out in the north would free the second quetcha for scouting...

Beam
17-04-2007, 23:06
Good point Darkness, guess I was occupied with getting the game up and running. Been pondering a while though but it will be animals first and the Quecha can gain some experience in the green hell of the Amazon bassin. As long as it doesn't byte the big one.

Beam
27-05-2007, 22:35
2360BC:

All going pretty well and the first time I've build Stonehenge afaik! Positive reasons are it helps expanding other cities borders to fill the fat cross until Calendar (weel, that's one reason but what the heck). Other reason there wasn't a lot else to build at the cap that time cause any new city would either require heavy jungle chopping or be build to far away. So the Beamer is #1 in the ranks atm but substract 20 points and you'll get a better idea where we are.

Stonehenge centers the map (surprise, surprise the Inca are bottom left [lol]). No contact with other players yet although a Quecha is scouting N and could meet Stapel soon. Here's a pic of the continent. A scouting Quecha (the one you mentioned Darkness!) is recovering from barbs.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007527212550_2360bc.jpg
82.47KB

Next city is planned in the dark W of the double gems and SE of the banana. We all know the map and there is a spot there next to a river with Iron and Corn nearby. Breda will do Axe &gt; Settler couple of times and also settle the Banana and the bottleneck near Panama.

Meantime Sailing was discovered to allow city #2 and #3 to build a Lighthouse cause that's the only way for growth.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007527213037_2360bclocal.jpg
140.37KB

As you can see 3 religions have been founded. I just wait for them to spread my way.

Last but not least demographics. Looking good imo and I really hope I can keep it that way.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007527213458_2360bcdemo.jpg
104.32KB

Beam
10-06-2007, 23:40
1760bc:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007610221028_map1760bc.jpg
106.04KB

Settled Macchu Pichu not only there for the Iron but also as a hub to settle the S of the continent where less jungle chopping is required to make something out of it. No contact with Stapel yet but a Quecha is moving into position extreme NW. It can only wait from there cause of a freaking mountain.

Some news about what's going on in the game in general:
- Shabba got the Oracle and selected Theology as free tech thereby acquiring his 2nd religion. [scratch] I guess he has good reasons I'm unaware of (Theocracy, Sistine). No surprise he is scoreleader atm.
- Robi (China) is acquiring Mongolia cause PP isn't playing imho. Pity PP doesn't have the time, it can also be unbalancing because China now has a lot of uncontested room for expansion.
- Afaik I'm the only one left without having contaced someone else.
- Inca are leading in GNP having 40 and 35 for 2nd in GNP.

Midterm strat still is on SA expansion helped by a peacedeal with Stapel but I'll have to meet him first to know what he is up to.

Beam
17-07-2007, 11:44
600BC and time for an update plus some info for Darkness when he is subbing for me during holiday.

The capital just completed The Temple of Artemis which gives a nice boost in commerce. :) Not the wonder I'd really like to have however. That's the Great Lib but akots completed it just after I started. Well not to many turns lost and some gold in return so I can live with that.

Made contact with both Stapel and robboo, Open Borders with both. Also nice for commerce even more because Currency was discovered 1 turn ago. All this means with 5 cities Techrate is at 90% and 0 gpt. :D So time to settle 2 or 3 more cities.

Looking at the map there are enough good spots, I favor 2 spots in particular. Both are indicated by an orange dot on the map.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007717102032_600BCNorth.jpg
123.88KB

The spot in the NW is basically there to act as a Panama canal and also allows to hook up the first Crab. The 2nd spot is NE next to a Spice and on a Fresh Water tile. Except from hooking up another resource it is a good starting point for overseas exploration and making contact with the rest of the world.

To the E and S are also some good spots, I'll decide on that later. There is a barb city there but on this diff. level usually not an issue.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007717102532_600BCSouth.jpg
90.36KB

GNP atm is exceptionally good for the Inca Empire being #1 with a margin and only 1 cottage! Easily explaing because the 2 coastal cities mainly working coastal tiles and the cap working both a gold and a silver. Besides the other cities are also working fresh water tiles. It also explains why Mfg is not that good but can be improved easily in the future.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200771710299_600BCDemo.jpg
110.96KB

About the rest of the game:
- akots is score leader with 424, Shabba second with 373, Beam third with 342, BC 337, Robi 308. All others are well below 270.
- akots build a nice bunch of wonders. I guess he did a lot of chopping. The Inca haven't had a single forest so far, just smelly jungle! [aargh]
- Somewhere I feel there will be action soon in NA. Although the continent is quite large the usable area is much smaller.
- The same for the Old World. Both BC and akots have an aggressive playing style. Shabba sits in the Middle East and has friends all around him. The Mali at some time certainly want to expand to better terrain.
- Robi (China) will most likely expand, expand as there is little competition for him.

Last but not least tech path: CoL &gt; CS &gt; Compass and on to Optics. No Hunting, Archery, Meditation, Priesthood, Monotheism, Monarchy yet. If needed it will be about 10 turns for the whole set. :)

Darkness
17-07-2007, 20:21
Hey Beam,

I just logged in to look around a little bit.

It looks good and I like the plans. May I suggest keeping Cuzco on a settler/worker build strat for the time being? Especially considering it's maxed out in health and happyness? First two settlers, for both spots you indicated. Then two workers for jungle clearing capacity...

Let me know when you leave and what specifically you want me to do, OK?

Beam
17-07-2007, 21:22
Darkness,

I'll send you a PM Friday night or so as I'm leaving saturday. Your plan for the cap (Breda!!!!!!) building queue is good as long as barb activity stays minimal. The "extra" units you see are basically there to keep control of the barbs and none of those are planned for moving with a settler except the Quecha already standing E of the Panama Canal tile. The purpose of the Axe in MP also is barb control. So you may have to build Settler &gt; Axe in Breda. Also I wouldn't bother if you build a Worker after the Axe in Breda because those are needed.

Nothing more specific, use your best judgement for growing the Incas to a powerhouse!

Beam
10-08-2007, 15:32
1 AD and a number of battles is going on elsewhere in the world and one in North America about to start.

Darkness played very well during my holidays and everything went as planned. Thanks!

I chatted quite some with Robboo and he considers himself death even before the war has started. Not so strange as he sees 12 Cats, 5/6 Jags, 5/6 Axes and 2 Spears on his border. He has build 2 wonders so that's all time not spend on units.

A guestimate is Stapel requires about 10 to 15 turns to defeat Robboo. By that time I should be starting to prepare being strong enough to make Stapel rethink an invasion twice. Although I'm sure it is in our mutual interest not to go to war I'd rather speak softly and have a big stick.

So the plan is to complete Optics in 5 turns and send out 2 Caravels. Hit Feudalism about 7 turns after Optics, have Heroic Epic ready by that time and start spitting out Longbows and some additional shit.

Mean time focus as much on peaceful expansion as possible. Still a close 2nd in GNP and completing Forges for Mfg. Research at 80% and making a small profit. 7 cities, planning #8 in the South. Further expansion will require some Markets and Courts.

Beam
17-08-2007, 12:44
175 AD

Just because a pic says more than 1000 words:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007817112641_thechase.jpg
165.67KB

Whoever plays his turn first determines the faith of those Yankee galleys. And I'm a bit puzzled why robboo put his 2 units on that jungle spot. Does he think he can pass the mountain and attack Stapel? Although I'm pretty sure robboo won't attack me as he already has gifted units to me that could have done the same one Quecha there was upgraded to a Maceman having 2 as defence there.

In 8 turns both Feud and Heroic Epic will be in the pocket and a city will start spitting out Longbows, Crossbows and anything else needed to get a good negotiation position with Mr. North America. There are enough good arguments why we shouldn't go killing ourselves while the rest of the world is racing away from us. But Stapel is a warmonger and he might be to impatient to wait for Astronomy before he starts his next campaign.

BCLG has Liberalism, the best sign the Old World has an advantage techwise and only if they start some serious throat cutting there do I stand a chance to even just catch up. We'll wait and see.

Meantime expansion in S America continues. The cap has completed a Market to keep income solid (which it is :)) and 2 new cities are planned for the S connecting Horse, Deer and Fish.

Beam
25-08-2007, 23:13
425 AD:

When Stapel was about to kill robboo we exchanged some PM's and we quickly agreed cooperation is the win-win situation and we gave it a solid start by exchanging Stapels surplus resources for a Caravel. A win-win deal cause he is way away from Optics and I needed those as health resources. Stapel lacks a lot of techs but that is basically because what he had to do and that's secure North America and it is kinda strange robboo let him be so overwhelmed. Read his spoilers and you know what to expect.

So he has invested heavily in military but misses to what I have:
- The CS line (I mean Curr, CoL and CS)
- The Optics line (Compass, Machinery, Metal Casting, Optics)

With his bad gpt that's a lot of catching up to do and since I think our cooperation is the best option I intend to help him where I can.

Meantime a Caravel is on its way to a diplo trip around Europe, Africa and Western Asia, a 2nd one near finished for Stapel and a third one planned for Eastern Asia. I must honestly say playing an Earth map adds a lot of juice! :)

Some events make more clear what's going on in the old world, some raise quuestions that need answers:
- Matrix in SA is attacking killercane. That's clear.
- Robi and mauer in Eastern Asia are performing less than expected. I guess a power build up but need to verify.
- Shabba has been score leader for a long time but is stagnant now and even losing points in the interturn. Pop loss could be the cause but why? He is in the Middle East and unless you can turn that position in that of a middleman you're in shit.
- akots has build a lot of wonders and BCLG got Liberalism first. This is what is most puzzling to me. Look at the map and you'll see they are natural enemies unless they make a deal. Finding that out will be a big challenge. I know both of them pretty well and I hope that will help.

Knowing that Astronomy will be close or in for most it is another key aspect to learn asap. Not only does this open ocean trade but also allows Galleons so learing about this is key.

In other words the deal with Stapel may sound boring warwise but the diplo aspect will make it interesting pretty soon. :)

And meantime the Inca are expaning over South America as planned. Jsut razed a barb city with a single Mace against 2 Warriors because it was one tile from the right spot, the ransome helps research Guilds in 6 turns. Which gives Grocers for health and income and Knights for safety. What else do you want! :)

Beam
27-08-2007, 01:21
475 AD:

Quick update because of quick game speed.

BCLG 99,9% sure build the Taj Mahal in Rome and every indicator points to it.

So he got Nationalism and that's on the road to Cavs. And the earliest unit that stands a change against Cavs is the Rifle and that's a number of techs away for most of us. I'm just glad I can build them Knights in a couple of turns! [aargh]

Not that much fear for a direct invasion but BC can carry a very big stick soon imo and it will be a big challenge to stop him winning the game.

Darkness
27-08-2007, 11:01
quote:Originally posted by Beam

475 AD:

Quick update because of quick game speed.

BCLG 99,9% sure build the Taj Mahal in Rome and every indicator points to it.

So he got Nationalism and that's on the road to Cavs. And the earliest unit that stands a change against Cavs is the Rifle and that's a number of techs away for most of us. I'm just glad I can build them Knights in a couple of turns! [aargh]

Not that much fear for a direct invasion but BC can carry a very big stick soon imo and it will be a big challenge to stop him winning the game.

Sure, but in all likelyhood you are not BCLG's number 1 target. akots is much more of a target for BCLG, due to geographical location and those nice, juicy wonders.
It would make no sense for BCLG to come after you now. The logistical costs would cripple him, IMHO...

Beam
01-09-2007, 13:17
580 AD:

A brave Incan caravel crossed the Atlantic and contacted BCLG on the coast of Portugal. :) From there the caravel will go into the Baltic to contact akots then back into the Med. This way the scoreleaders are contacted first.

Powergraph:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007911243_bclgpower.jpg
66.23KB

GNP:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20079112446_bclggnp.jpg
63.57KB

His power is surprisingly low given his location. GNP very high because of his Golden Age but without also better than the Inca. He has 12 cities, 3 more than Inca who still can expand.

Techwise I can see he has Philo, Paper and Banking over me and we know he has at least Edu, Lib and Nat on top of that. The techs he doesn't have are a bit more surprising. No HBR, Engineering, Gunpowder, Music, Astro for example which all are on the military path.

And since he has choosen Pacifism and Caste System the only conclusion is he feels very secure, doesn't expect to go to war anytime soon and is building GPs like hell.

Main question is why he feels so secure, deal with akots? I hope to find out soon.

Beam
03-09-2007, 00:37
620 AD:

Contact with Shabba. Either on the French coast or he must have Optics and smartly made contact without me seeing him but I assume the first. He leads me on Paper and Theo.

Powergraph:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200792232021_shabbapower.jpg
67.36KB

He's even stronger than Stapel. [lol] And only has seven cities. OP with BC and app. could be allied with BC. I'm going to send him a PM why he is at war with desert people while he allows Roman build up with Pacifism. [lol]

Meantime I decided to go for fully invest in infra. No Astro around afaik so next tech is Banking already done by BC. Did some cheap techs prev. rounds to be prepared for BC going Emancipation so I can quickly go HerRule, spread religion and be safe from tha penalty. And keep on settling the continent.

Science is break even at 80%, gnp varies between 2nd and 3rd by turn and how tiles are used. BC is first and akots is my main competitor for 2 and 3.

digger760
03-09-2007, 10:43

620 AD:
OP with BC and app.

Ya put who in the what now[???]

Beam
03-09-2007, 21:00
quote:Originally posted by digger760

620 AD:
OP with BC and app.

Ya put who in the what now[???]

Typo and lingo [lol]

Open Borders with BCLG100 and apparently could be allied with BCLG100.

He responded to my PM saying that he considered Rome (BC) to strong and also has India and Mali around him and he is falling behind in development. I believe that last part, not so sure about the rest.

The caravel is the English channel now and should make contact with akots in Russia in a few turn. Which leaves Africa and Eastern Asia to be contacted where I am most interested in contact with Robi in China.

Robboo
04-09-2007, 02:37
so you are safe with stapel and bc...correct? You could hang back a bit and get a great production/commerce running and go for space. All the while you could have "indirect" wars from afar and not have any true risk to your territory.

Beam
12-09-2007, 22:08
840 AD:

Contact everybloody now so good time for an update. Lots of pics. :) Let's start with the Diplo screens:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007912205737_840relations.jpg
112.93 KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200791221053_840techs.jpg
105.47 KB

The tech screen is the most interesting as it shows which techs I lack compared to others. The difference with China and Russia is quite some but keep in mind Rome has Lib and Nat for sure. China is the only having Astro atm which I'll have in 6 turns at 80% making a small profit. I've been pondering long doing Astro before other techs where there is a contact benefit but it allows both options in trade and war. From there I plan to follow techs already discovered because they come in cheaper. No resources screen as it only shows China and Aztec and I can only trade with Aztec atm.

Demographics.

First the overall screen:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007912211017_840info.jpg
111.51 KB

The main asset I've been focussing on is raw GNP. Third atm and jumping to 2th and 4th. Becoming 1st (Rome) will be very hard. The other figures aren't that good to be honest. The graphs:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007912211829_840score.jpg
94.41 KB

4th in score, not to bad for what it's worth. Shabba closing in and Robi getting away is easily explained cause both captured cities in India and me researching Astro.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007912212047_840gnp.jpg
95.59 KB

The GNP graph with the new patch doesn't show raw output anymore but includes effects of improvements. And where I'm on 2nd to 4th in raw GNP I'm running behind on improvements. Low MFG is the main issue imo and lack of forest plus few tiles with high crop yield. Here is MFG and crop for reference:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200791221298_840mfg.jpg
103.41 KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007912212933_840crop.jpg
82.04 KB

Then there is power and the graph mainly shows those that are at war or have been and those that haven't. Striking is the low power of Rome.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200791221355_840power.jpg
94.15KB

Another statistic is the number of cities for each player:
- Russia - 11
- Rome - 12
- China - 18
- Inca - 9
- Arabia - 10
- Aztecs - 11
- Zulu - 11
- Mali - 5

The main message from this imo is the number of cities doesn't matter, it is about what the cities do. Looking at that this is significant:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200791221450_840builds.jpg
57.72KB

The Hindu temple in the cap isn't needed immed for happiness but when finished will help my mate to get a better gnp when a great prophet is born there. All other cities are just focussing on improving where I can improve imo.

Some food for thought:
- Are there ways to better manage the empire?
- How best influence what else is going on in the game and how to benefit?

Last but not least something about expansion. For each new city (and there are 7 locations left in SA where good cities can be build) I need to watch if it doesn't hurt corruption, has enough food and workers available to clear jungle.

All lurker comments appreciated!

digger760
13-09-2007, 16:12
Surely number of cities matter, perhaps that another reasons for you low MFG.

I'm afraid i cant help you at all, i'm rather clueless to civIV strategy. and even worse at MP diplo.

Beam
13-09-2007, 20:27

Surely number of cities matter, perhaps that another reasons for you low MFG.

I'm afraid i cant help you at all, i'm rather clueless to civIV strategy. and even worse at MP diplo.

Look the number of cities for each player and in particular those with 10, 11 and 12 then realize the players are listed by score.

One reason I'm a bit conservative with new cities is they more and more increase corruption which can be remedied with some buildings which require MFG to build. Building new cities to fast will cause falling behind in the techrace. Another reason is there a very few troublefree building sites. Almost always there is jungle to chop and hardly any forest. [sad] But once that is done and Democracy is in so Towns produce a hammer MFG will improve dramatically. My main concern Rome, Russia and / or China have become to strong to handle.

digger760
14-09-2007, 11:00
What is this Corruption thing you speak of? I though that was a Civ3 thing!

The only draw back to building more cites is maintenance costs (I think it increases the requirement to the next Great Person as well?)

Beam
14-09-2007, 18:28
It indeed is maintenance costs, corruption apparently stuck pretty much. [lol] No effect on GP points by the way.

Beam
18-09-2007, 00:22
960 AD:

Astro is in and I must say I'm extremely happy I made the investment:
- Foreign trade routes bring the Inca back to the 2nd spot in GNP. Still a gap with Rome but the Inca still can expand and settle on good spots.
- The Inca can pose a threat to other civs, good for bargaining.
- Resource trade of course, not really needed cause the margin both in health and happiness was solid.
- The talks reveal a little more about the politics in the old world. Matrix told me there is a boycot on trades with Robi because he has so many resources. This gives two important clues. First Rome, Russia, Arabia and Zulu (sorry Casey, I don' think the Mali matter that much atm) have some sort of agreement. Second China seems to be isolated.

Where to put the effort in terms of Diplo? If there is more in the Rome, Russia, Arabia, Zulu agreement (like a block) what would be the place of the New World in that block? And what would be the fun of joining that block with only China left as opponent? If there isn't a block yet there are options to set'm up against each other but that's to early to say. Otoh an isolated China doing well could be a good partner for a team victory.

Meantime the Inca stay on course of expanding over SA, following already discovered techs and carefully monitoring what else is going on. Choices will have to be made however and I'd rather prepare others to choose than having to choose myself. ;)

Pastorius
18-09-2007, 23:26
Nice spoiler Beam, and I don't just refer to the first post.

I also think I detect a certain Beam-yness in your playstyle. The reasoning and logic behind your actions are unmistakably Beam-y.

Well, it may be that your writeup influences my judgement though.

Looks like you are hanging in there right now.

mauer
19-09-2007, 00:51
I have yet to put this into play in an MP game, but recently did on a couple of SP games. Basically get as many workers to cottage everything that's green as early in the game as possible. In both SP games I had way too many cities but maintained a #1 GNP throughout the entirety of the games. Actually, in this one my main problem was under developing my tiles and not using workers properly. That's why I'm dead :(, you know that and the 3 nations of bastards that attacked me at once [lol]

Beam
19-09-2007, 21:55
[lol]

Paal posts me playing typically Beamy and mauer about the workers. If you read my spoilers including the C3C ones you'll see I tend to precisely match number of workers with tiles that need to be worked for a city. In other words cities always have worked tiles but the tile they will work when they grow is worked Just In Time.

@mauer, contrary to you I have the luxury of being very isolated and imo unattractive to attack unless I become to strong. So being 4th in Score and 2nd in GNP doesn't bother me to much as long as I can keep on track while expanding. The raw GNP boost by Astro means two more cities can be build soon while maintaining techpace.

There is one thing I'd like to ask all lurkers and specially players eliminated in RtW. Don't give me in-game info please and please don't use any info here somewhere else. That way ppl will have more confidence to make nice spoilers. :)

digger760
20-09-2007, 10:57
I noticed a bit of in-game into had been creeping into this and the open thread. I wish some of the other players would make spoilers.

This one is great beam keep it up [goodjob]

Beam
20-09-2007, 12:59
Digger, please request in the Open Thread. I really hope like you more people make spoilers even more now I've "communicated" it is not done to read them while active in the game. ;)

Melifluous
20-09-2007, 14:55
Awesome spoiler so far Beam. I must admit that after playing the MP games at Stapels house that I would hate to ever play against you again. You're just too good.

I wanted to ask, did you pick the Incans to ensure that you were this isolated? It would seem that with just the 3 of you (well 2 now) sharing all of the Americas that you were in a pretty good position before you started. Europe/Asia looks like a nightmare and Africa is just as bad as South America only you can't chop down desert ;)

My serious playing days are behind me (people would say they were never in front of me) and I will endeavour to become a decent spoiler lurker and commentator. I realise these posts take a lot of effort and this one is well done [goodjob]

regards,

[meli]

PS. Shame you can't give that warmonger Stapel a good kicking yet though...

Beam
20-09-2007, 17:03
@Mel. I picked the Inca's because it was the best option left (the others Mongols and Arabs). The isolated position has advantages but early game mainly disadvantages. Same for the jungle in an area full of grassland and rivers.

Beam
20-09-2007, 22:43
1000 AD:

Just to give an idea what the combination of Optics (contact) and Astro (trade routes) means for an isolated start.
- Engineering now comes in 3 turns and a small loss. It was 5 turns in 840 AD with a small profit. Prior to Optics it was in the 8 turn area iirc. Optics plus Astro effect.
- My tech backlog hasn't changed a lot since 840AD, only Astro has disappeared and Engineering will next turn. Paper and Music both are 900 beakers but because more ppl I know have Paper it is 2 turns at 80% and Music 3 turns. Optics effect.
- The increased commerce because of more foreign trade not only speeds up research but also makes it easier to build new cities without serious effects on maintenance. Astro effect.
- And knowing everybody means talks etc. Optics effect.
- The military option. :D Astro effect.

I'm in a race with Robi btw who gets the Jules Vernes trophee and +1 movement for Naval units. Although not critical it is a very nice bonus for an isolated civ with overseas operations in mind. ;)

I've been thinking a bit about the Spoiler turmoil last night. First of all what I posted in the Open Thread came straight from the heart and no regrets about it but I have to realize CDZ customs worked very well for the many 1vs1's and few multiplayers we did. Pitboss is different from that the 24h clock is always ticking and you really do not want to be in a situation where you miss a click or are converted to AI. Subs are a critical part of a Pitboss game therefore and Pitboss games (specially this one) can last for over a year. So you lurkers and commenters maybe just happy doing so right now but next month you get more time, are absorbed by the game again, got a CiV capable PC etc. And get an option to play as sub but you've been reading my spoiler. :(

What I'm looking for is a very simple set of guidelines that allows you to play as a sub and me to make a nice spoiler. All input appreciated. :)

digger760
21-09-2007, 11:02
a Sub would have to work on an honesty system and under a set of pre-defined rules of the Owner (if they have read other spoilers). But this is a given really.

It would be a shame to ruin a game just cos a sub has read you spoiler.

No chance of me being a sub, I have been consistently to busy for too long to be a sub. (i have just enough time to whip other players to make spoilers;)..only akots and killercane to go)

Beam
09-10-2007, 21:01
1210AD

We are down to 7 and the Inca are a bit average in most areas. Otoh there a 3 fresh cities growing well, 1 good location as-is, 2 good ones with jungle chopping and 2 lesser ones and the plan is to settle one every 10 turns or so. Research at 80% still generates income.

Robi is the runaway atm, akots and BCLG circling around each other pointwise and I can maintain the gap steady.

Jsut got RepParts and a bit to my surprise no one has Rifling or MilTrad yet and the main beeline is Chemistry and Scientific Method. Chemistry is clear but SM is a bit odd as it obsoletes Monasteries and its 10% science bonus. Otoh it is on the road to Communism (spies!), Biology (+1 food on farms!) and Physics (free GS and unlocking many nice but expensive techs).

Just started Liberalism and the 10% science bonus of Free Religion is a go but the 7 towns aren't enough to switch to Free Speech for the +2 gold from town bonus while loosing the Bureaucracy effect for the cap. Plan to do that switch together with Free Market.

So after Lib it is Chem, check for Steel and if not yet researched go Economics.

The situation in the old world is most interesting with 3 powerhouses in the North, a trailing civ in the ME and a surpise factor in the S. Very difficult to predict what's going to happen there but BCLG and Robi seem to be in the safest position because it is hard for multiple players to attack their core, while akots and Shabba are surrounded. Don't think there is a lot of interest for the S of Africa.

The Powergraph more or less reflects this but it could also be because of recent wars:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007109195711_powergraph1210.jpg
93.91KB

Tech screen shows Robi has no Chemistry yet but he's got good compensation in his Powergraph. ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007109195731_techscreen.jpg
94.32KB

digger760
10-10-2007, 10:49
Whats the chance of some kinda themo nuclear action near the end of this game

Beam
10-10-2007, 11:48

Whats the chance of some kinda themo nuclear action near the end of this game

Let's put it this way. If they can be build they will be used.

Beam
23-10-2007, 22:20
1420AD:

Long time no update so here it is.

Main event was Stapel attacking BC and razing one of his cities. Peace came pretty fast to my surprise and BC seems to be pissed. BC switched to Nationhood for drafting and only lost a city in Ireland but also fell back compared with Robi and akots.

In the F4 tech screen atm I only see Dem(2), Steel(2), Steam Power(1), SciMet(5), Rifling(1), Theo(couple). Max visible number of techs behind for me is three and although this is much better than before I know Communism is in the game already and akots (SP) most likely has or is heading for Railroad. For the time being the plan is to follow in techs in pick the best ratio. Exception is SciMet, I'd like to use the 10% science benefit of monasteries until Combustion.

Having said that Corp is in and Dem next in 4 turns at a profit.

I've been talking a bit more now with all players and all in the old world seem not to be planning to attack each other. Since a few cities ran out of improvements to build they're doing units and Power is getting better. But stopping a stack of Grens and Cannons for 6 Galleons I saw in Roman Maroc will be hard to stop.

So in short the plan is Dem &gt; revolt &gt; Steel &gt; Steam &gt; RR &gt; Combustion. That will cover the next 20 turns or so, maybe do MilTrad in between for them Cavs.

digger760
24-10-2007, 00:45
Cavs?? you thinking about attacking somebody?

Beam
24-10-2007, 00:58

Cavs?? you thinking about attacking somebody?

Cavs have a bonus vs. cannons so both nice in offense and defense, :)

killercane
24-10-2007, 01:02
You can probably beeline for the internet if Robi and Akots stay neck and neck.

killercane
24-10-2007, 01:02
You can probably beeline for the internet if Robi, Simon, and Akots stay neck and neck.

Beam
27-10-2007, 20:58
Simon attacked me and that basically spoils all my fun in the game.

Not that I mind being attacked so much but I've been working hard to turn this piece of jungle into something and have the feel to still have a chance in this game and now the big three on the other continent have stuck their heads so deep in each others arses they can afford to bring bulks of troops to other continents. akots, BC, robi you'll read this one day and don't take it personal but this is how it felt yesterday.

Something else that doesn't make it feel very well is that Stapel informed me yesterday afternoon that BC had told him he would attack me. I had an extensive chat with BC and he told me they also had a peacedeal. So I have either a buddy that is not telling me everything or BC was bullshitting. If the former I don't know if there are additional clauses but I hope to learn that one day.

In the chat with BC I made several proposals including one with full partnership and supporting him to make a teamwin including +100 gpt but he didn't accept and not even made a single proposal himself. Other than telling me he was interested in my gpt. He has to work to get it and I'd rather be eliminated than end this game as a pet civ. Since I think he wanted either N or S America he will go for the continent so I'll pillage away whatever possible.

Also proposed to Matrix to swap my cities for his Australian ones and sit the game out in Oz but he is to afraid of Rome to make the deal.

The invasion force is about 10 Grens and 10 Cannons and even in a scenario where I can build enough Grens to stop him at some point my estimate is loss of 4 or 5 good cities when he also sends reinforcements. Thats about 25% of resources if I'm lucky.

Two things I might have done wrong myself and that's:
- No peace deal with Rome. I only have one with Stapel.
- I revolted to Suff, FreeSp and Emancipation when I had already seen the force simon was preparing near Marocco. He told me he was going to attack Stapel and the reason was pretty obvious. I informed Stapel about this of course. I guess I'd better had revolted to a couple more military civics and make it less attractive to attack me. Well I can buy units now and coins is at max. so we'll see.

Having said all before the worst is having a secondary role in the game at best.

Beam
02-11-2007, 15:07
Couple turns have past now. Lost 2 cities pretty quick including my Panama Canal. Rome used that to sail three escorted Galleons along the coast of SA and my cap being the target was pretty obvious. Meantime I'd been rushing units and Stapel gave me both units and cash for upgrades.

So when Rome landed near the cap they were trapped and enough troops around to kill the stack of 8. Same turn a lucky shot at the Panama Canal and a terrible good dice showed up. 4 grens killed at the expense of 1 gren and 1 elephant and city recaptured. And a General. :) :D

The other city has 4 turns of revolt left and troops are accumulating to recapture it. This will be less easy cause Rome upgraded the 3 Grens there to Infantry. And there is a Cannon.

The outlook is pretty dim if Rome does not want to negiotiate peace and sends more troops. Even with peace it is dim cause I need Steam, Rifling and Assembly line for Infantry which is 13 or 14 turns away.

Beam
10-11-2007, 20:15
Assembly line is 3 turns away now and if I make it and can upgrade I stand a better chance. What also helps I hope is the trap I made for the homing Roman fleet worked and I sank 2 Frigates and 3 Galleons with Frigates. :) That still leaves some unaccounted Roman galleons but if Simon was planning to use the returning Galleons for shipping Infs and Arties he can ship nine less. :) So I am winning the time I need. Only China has oil atm.

Stapel has helped me very well, akots has donated a World Map and a Fur and Robi will help with units so the war Rome started isn't over yet. Simon told me he has an ally and I think it is Shabbamanny.

My guess who's going to win the game is either akots or Robi but who knows what Nukes will change.

Robi D
05-01-2008, 04:15
Nice spoiler, it was a good read.

And well played, i have to say i was a bit surprised you were able to beat back simon so effectively

BCLG100
05-01-2008, 04:22
After getting help from the entire world im not surprised but still well played.

Sorry to spoil your fun in the game beam, that was certainly not my intention.

I did have a peace deal with stapel, part of the reason i ended up attacking you was because i heard you had a deal with stapel for peace but also that you were building a load of troops, i thought it'd be better to keep them in your heartland rather than having another stapel incident on my doorstep. the other part was that stapel was too strong.

Matrix
05-01-2008, 16:44
Great first post, Beam! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/ROTFLMAO.gif

And great spoiler!! Indeed, you did matter in the game techwise until BCLG100 attacked you. The reason he attacked you is still unknown to me, but I haven't read his spoiler yet. ;) I believe Stapel told me BCLG100 was heading Stapel's way, but Stapel convinced BCLG100 to move into your direction.

It's a pity the peace deal between BCLG100, akots and Robi D was so firm, and that nukes did not play a part in this game.

Robi D
05-01-2008, 17:09
Now that's a spoiler [lol]

Robi D
05-01-2008, 17:28
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Great first post, Beam! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/ROTFLMAO.gif

It's a pity the peace deal between BCLG100, akots and Robi D was so firm, and that nukes did not play a part in this game.

I had no deal with BCLG, firm or otherwise. It was the reality of being seperated by other civs that stopped a war. Although if you read my spoiler you will see i had an unpleasent surprise waitng for BCLG had his sabotage been successful.

As for nukes, i was happy not to see any:D

Stapel
07-01-2008, 16:07
I never should have talked BCLG out of attacking me. Dumb, dumb, dumb, but I did not realise that it would implicitely mean he woudl send his forces to Beam. I would have been able, rather easily, to defend my lands. At least a lot easier than Beam. The whole idea was that I would fuck around and that Beam would silently head towards a space vic. BCLG's attack on Beam spoiled it all.

Shabbaman
02-04-2008, 11:59
quote:Originally posted by BeamHe responded to my PM saying that he considered Rome (BC) to strong and also has India and Mali around him and he is falling behind in development. I believe that last part, not so sure about the rest.

I was at war with Mali and India for a long time, so I didn't do much besides building troops to protect my borders with them.

What I expected was that you would invade Africa. That seemed logical to me, mainly because of proximity and the foothold it would give you and Stapel to attack Rome. Matrix was extremely weak as well. I figured that you had an agreement with him because he was so confident not to build troops. At a certain point I figured out you were building a lot of cannons, but that proved not to be true (it was akots).