PDA

View Full Version : Rule the World Pitboss (CDZ Earth)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Beam
16-04-2007, 22:20
Based on a modified Earth Map the Rule the World Pitboss has started today. 11 players start on the sites of their historic cap:
akots: Russia (Cathy)
BCLG100: Rome (JC)
Beam: Inca (HC)
Matrix: Zulu (Shaky)
mauer: India (Asoka)
Meli: Mali (MM)
PP: Mongolia (GK)
Robboo: US (Roos)
Robi D: China (Mao)
Shabba: Arabs (Sally)
Stapel: Aztecs (Monty)

Time victory is off as is tech trading.

Some details of the game can be seen here so happy lurking!

http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=434

Overview of the starts:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2007414142130_CDZ_Earth2.jpg

Essential info for playing:

How to log in:
- Start Civ4 - Warlords
- Go to Multiplayer => Direct IP Connection
- Fill in your nickname for Player Name and matrix.kicks-ass.org or 82.73.85.197 for Network Address and click Connect.
- Select your civilization and click Ok.
- Choose a password and fill it in twice. Next time, it will ask for the same password. (No shit! )
- Play!
- [u]Exit to menu</u> when you're done! The connection doesn't close properly when you exit the game directly, resulting in the game going slower and slower every time someone does that. In effect I would have to save and reload the game every turn.

Here's an easy to use program to log into a Pitboss game automatically:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=172459
Not useful for logging in the first time.

Here's the map, so that you can have a look at the map yourself. You don't need it to play the pitboss.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif CDZEartha.CivWarlordsWBSave.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007416125532_CDZEartha.CivWarlordsWBSave.zip)
41.16 KB

The doublemove rule in this game (discussion on page 7 of this thread):

Doublemoves are allowed in all cases except when accompanied by a declaration of war. In that case the declaring player is not allowed any offensive action against declared player until either:
a) 18 hours after end of the turn where war is declared.
b) the declared player logs in after end of the turn where war is declared.
The declaration of war itself still allows units of the declaring player offensive actions against the declared player in the turn where war is declared.

Matrix
17-04-2007, 10:22
ProPain is the last one to play his first turn. If he doesn't before the next turn, I'll kick him so that the AI can play for him. But first he'll receive a PM and e-mail from me.

Edit: He hasn't read his PM at all yet. [rolleyes]

Robi D
17-04-2007, 12:08
He might not get a chance if he doesn't get a move on ;)

Beam
17-04-2007, 12:18
He'll prob be at work so little change he can play.

Any suggestions for a name for this game? <s>Spam</s> Post here. :)

Beam
17-04-2007, 13:55
Just had a phonecall with PP. He indeed can't play before the end of this turn and if someone else can play this one turn would be nice. 1 can play but I'm in the game myself so not preferred.

Any takers?

Alternatively AI can play his turn.

digger760
17-04-2007, 13:58
What!!! shabba is actually playing in a game[:o]

Matrix
17-04-2007, 14:05
Digger!! Can you play for ProPain? :D

Matrix
17-04-2007, 14:43
Someone logged in for him, calling himself "AmateurPain". [lol] But who is it?
He didn't finish the turn, nor did he build a city.

Matrix
17-04-2007, 15:14
Um, I still don't know who logged in as "AmateurPain", but since I could see from the score that no city was built I thought it would be best for ProPain to kick him, so that the AI can finish his turn and build a city. When I kicked him, the score still didn't increase, so apparently the settlers just moved. Now in the new turn a new city actually is built, by the AI. [rolleyes] So in retrospective it probably wasn't a good decision to kick him. Anyway, a new turn started. But if Mongolia is made a mess ProPain may demand a restart IMO.

But who logged in for ProPain?!

IglooDude
17-04-2007, 16:44
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Um, I still don't know who logged in as "AmateurPain", but since I could see from the score that no city was built I thought it would be best for ProPain to kick him, so that the AI can finish his turn and build a city. When I kicked him, the score still didn't increase, so apparently the settlers just moved. Now in the new turn a new city actually is built, by the AI. [rolleyes] So in retrospective it probably wasn't a good decision to kick him. Anyway, a new turn started. But if Mongolia is made a mess ProPain may demand a restart IMO.

But who logged in for ProPain?!

Sorry, it was me - I tried to post here (and respond to the requesting PM) and then CDZ timed out on me for a while.

The starting location sucked balls, so I didn't settle yet.

Beam
17-04-2007, 17:46
That's ok IglooDude, I Pmed you. Strange is that PP still got 35 points but it might be some Pitboss thingie unfamliar to us.

BCLG100
17-04-2007, 17:57
i was timing out when i tried to log in before

IglooDude
17-04-2007, 18:54
quote:Originally posted by Beam

That's ok IglooDude, I Pmed you. Strange is that PP still got 35 points but it might be some Pitboss thingie unfamliar to us.

If ProPain got kicked to AI after I did the turn (I didn't log out to give ProPain the max amount of time to go on the second turn), the AI would presumably settle immediately and that's where the 35pts came from.

Matrix
17-04-2007, 19:07
That's what happened. Because I didn't know you took over for him, or what exactly happened, I kicked him. So the AI now settled somewhere for ProPain. [rolleyes]

ProPain
17-04-2007, 21:27
DOes being kicked mean that I;m out of the game or that the AI just played one turn?

If I'm still in can somebody pls PM me the pass I need. If I'm out then obviously no pass is needed :)

Beam
17-04-2007, 21:52
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

DOes being kicked mean that I;m out of the game or that the AI just played one turn?

If I'm still in can somebody pls PM me the pass I need. If I'm out then obviously no pass is needed :)

Afaik you're civ has been taken over by the AI Borg (you've been assimilated by the collective) but since a species 3,1415926 corrupted Borgs tech assessment it seems if IglooDude sends you the pass Matrix can put you back in Human Control. Or the other way round. :)

Darkness
17-04-2007, 22:28

The AI just played one turn for you. Matrix can return control of the Mongols to you.

Shabbaman
17-04-2007, 23:04
quote:Originally posted by digger760

What!!! shabba is actually playing in a game[:o]

[punch]

Anyway, PP, I think it's possible to take over an AI, but that's probably depending on the settings.

Matrix
17-04-2007, 23:22
ProPain can simply log in as Mongolia. A new password will be asked, so no problem there.

IglooDude
18-04-2007, 00:05

ProPain can simply log in as Mongolia. A new password will be asked, so no problem there.

That's my understanding as well, but in any case ProPain the password I added to your civ was pp. Also, it was the AI that screwed up your start, not me. [whistle]

Matrix
18-04-2007, 00:26
How do I change the turn timer? [confused] Every turn takes approx. 26½ hours, so I need to set it on 22 hours.

BCLG100
18-04-2007, 01:08
i still cant connect, timing out some more. I could get into the first turn fine.

Matrix
18-04-2007, 02:10
Probably just bad timing. I tried to change the turn timer, so saved and reloaded it.
So you try again. If it still doesn't work...you've got a problem. [tongue]

BCLG100
18-04-2007, 02:42
i got in fine now, i think i may have been putting 'kick-ass' instead of 'kicks-ass' :D

ProPain
18-04-2007, 14:20
allright, dunno if I make todays deadline, if 26.5 hours is correct that would be around 17:30 local time. Critical cause I need to get Floor from daycare but I'kk be trying hard to leave early and play.

All problems will be over in a week or so when the new laptop arives that's powerfull enough to run Civ4. Then I can play during working hours again.

Also due to this (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4368) I won't be online as much, but I'll be checking in on PM and mails so pls direct all diplo that way if necessary :)

Matrix
18-04-2007, 17:24
That's alright. If you're not in time, the AI will only take another turn for you. They're not that stupid. [rolleyes] Note that when you log in, it's only to get control back from the AI. The AI always plays it's turn at the very beginning of the turn, so when you log in it has already moved your pieces and stuff...

ProPain
18-04-2007, 22:37
Well, got control back. Eagerly waiting for tomorrow :)

Matrix
18-04-2007, 23:46
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2007418234555_mooh.gif
21.56KB

[crazyeye]

Beam
19-04-2007, 00:12
[spam]

Shabbaman
19-04-2007, 07:51
So is there any way to see if I can already play a turn without having to log in?

Stapel
19-04-2007, 08:26
Wow, my units all automoved succefully in the 2nd turn!

Beam
19-04-2007, 09:12
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

So is there any way to see if I can already play a turn without having to log in?

If you registered on Civstats you can get a next round e-mail notification.

Darkness
19-04-2007, 11:49

Civstats...
The CDZ earth game is here:
http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=434

Beam
19-04-2007, 14:31
What happens if everybody finishes turn before the timer is at 00:00. Still run til 0 or switch to the next turn? I see some players have been in the game and done something but not finished the turn. At this stage I can't imagine tactical reasons for that and we could win a couple of hours / day if the Pitboss indeed goes next turn if everybody is finished.

Robi D
19-04-2007, 14:39
Once everyone has finished the turn a new turn begins right away. As why some haven't finished their turns, maybe they forgot to hit enter (done that a couple of times myself) or in some cases for timing reasons so they don't miss the next turn because they are away for a day they extend this turn. Other then that there is no reason i can think of

Melifluous
19-04-2007, 16:38
quote:Originally posted by Robi D

As why some haven't finished their turns, maybe they forgot to hit enter

You have to press Enter? [blush][hmm][help][melihere][python]

[meli]

Matrix
19-04-2007, 17:02
Once everyone has presse enter after his turn, a new turn will start, so that would indeed gain us a couple of hours.

ProPain
19-04-2007, 22:27
Right, press enter. I just left the game when waiting for other players appeared in the screen :)

Robi D
20-04-2007, 09:00
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

As why some haven't finished their turns, maybe they forgot to hit enter

You have to press Enter? [blush][hmm][help][melihere][python]

[meli]

Ummm...yeah you do[assw]

If could arrange it to be all on at the same time we could go through a bunch of turns at once:D

Matrix
20-04-2007, 12:46
Oh no, my @Home [u]Regular</u> connection can't handle that! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/frightened.gif

FYI, my connection speed is:
Download: 500KB/s
Upload: 75KB/s

BCLG100
20-04-2007, 12:55
No idea what that means but id probably slow the rest of you down with my slower than dial up connection!

Robboo
20-04-2007, 16:18
no way I can make time guys...I play at random times when I get 5 minutes. I have 4 or 5 pitbosses going so I am tapped out.

Melifluous
20-04-2007, 18:36
I was just the last person to play his turn, new turn has started !!

[meli]

Matrix
21-04-2007, 21:58
BCLG100, did you pop an extra city? [:o]

Beam
21-04-2007, 22:21
More likely pop a tech me thinks. Akots go get 'm!

akots
21-04-2007, 22:50

More likely pop a tech me thinks. Akots go get 'm!

Well, you set me up with planting copper at Norilsk area. ;)

Beam
21-04-2007, 23:34
What's wrong with Norilsk? Looks pretty fancy to me, bit like Paris. [lol]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007421233356_Norilsk.jpg
57.8KB

BCLG100
22-04-2007, 01:17
finished oracle thats why big score jump

Shabbaman
22-04-2007, 09:12
Nice, haven't even researched a tech yet.

BCLG100
22-04-2007, 14:06
Next turn ill have done 3.

Shabbaman
22-04-2007, 16:21
Balanced starts eh...

Matrix
22-04-2007, 17:48
He's just pulling your strings, Shabba. He's done as much techs at I have tits.

Matrix
22-04-2007, 17:48
He's just pulling your strings, Shabba. He has researched as much techs as I've got tits.

Shabbaman
22-04-2007, 19:11
2?

;)

Matrix
22-04-2007, 19:15
Who told you? [:o]

BCLG100
22-04-2007, 20:13
the joys of goody huts though lads :)

Shabbaman
24-04-2007, 08:18
When I look at civstats I notice something odd: some players log in, and out, but apparently don't finish their turn [punch]

Robi D
25-04-2007, 10:11
Hey ProPain, is that your troops massing on my border or are you just pleased to see me :D

Robboo
25-04-2007, 15:25
whats wrong Robi...scared of 2 or 3 troops?

mauer
25-04-2007, 16:38
He's building wonders....the only warrior he has is on the can

Stapel
26-04-2007, 07:21

When I look at civstats I notice something odd: some players log in, and out, but apparently don't finish their turn [punch]

Sometimes I log in and see the next turn hadn't started yet...

Robi D
26-04-2007, 08:29
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

whats wrong Robi...scared of 2 or 3 troops?

No, just stirring the pot as always

Robboo
26-04-2007, 13:02
as was I...early war is good for those of us protected by distance

Robi D
27-04-2007, 06:25
The Aztecs are not that distant ;)

Stapel
27-04-2007, 10:26

The Aztecs are not that distant ;)

Well, the first Aztec plan to annoy Robboo's Americans has failed ;). I popped a hut, considerably closer to Robboo than to me, but fortunately for Robboo, no barbs came out.

Which makes me wonder: Are there any barbs at all in this game?

And what about rules? Do we have any? Or can I simply promiss not to attack Robboo, but actually do so without getting any punishment?

Another thing: civstats shows the name of the computer's profile logging in, rather than the player's name. My home PC is simply labelled as Stapel, however, my GF's pc profile for me is Bastiaan.

Robboo
27-04-2007, 12:58
haha... no barbs in the hut.

Hmm checks notes. Adds notes... Dont trust Stapel

BCLG100
27-04-2007, 15:05
Stapel- at the bit where you enter the IP address above that there should be a name change place- where you can alter your log in name if you wish, that is what shows up :)

barbs at nobel dont really appear for another couple of thousand years.

Stapel
27-04-2007, 16:25

haha... no barbs in the hut.

Well, I did hesitate for that reason. But then I realised you might have a unit near as well. I more or less figured out barbs were probably ruled out of this game and went for it. The hut did provide me knowledge of all your land :). Not that I really see the benefit of that, though......

quote:Hmm checks notes. Adds notes... Dont trust Stapel

Sure, I cannot be trusted. Most people here already know that.

However, I'm most certainly NOT the kind of player that would break any unilateral or bilateral agreements in a game. I think other games, like diplomacy, are more suited for that!

So, the question still stands: How do we handle diplo affairs? If it's up to me, peace deals are simply confirmed in this thread. Whoever breaks it, should be kicked out of the game. Sounds a bit harsh, but otherwise deals are worth exactly nothing.

How do others think about this?

Stapel
27-04-2007, 16:26
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Stapel- at the bit where you enter the IP address above that there should be a name change place- where you can alter your log in name if you wish, that is what shows up :)

I'm fine the way it is. It's just that others might be surprised to see unknown names in civstat.

BCLG100
27-04-2007, 16:44
I think on the subject of peace deals that if you make one with another player your relying on their honour for them to keep it, i dont think someone should be kicked from the game for breaking it but most people realise that consequences in this game travel through to others.

Robi D
27-04-2007, 18:17
Unless you already have a reputation for breaking deals, then it doesn't really matter, isn't that right robboo[lol]

Beam
27-04-2007, 21:46
Well, the standard at CDZ has always been so much to honour deals I don't recall we ever had a rule in case a deal was broken. That's in Civ games. Like Stapel said Diplomacy (the game) is different, it is made for breaking deals.

I'd be perfectly happy if we agree to honour deals and no rule if you break. You simply don't.

Shabbaman
27-04-2007, 22:36

barbs at nobel dont really appear for another couple of thousand years.

Bull, popped huts at noble that spawned barbs [punch]

Matrix
28-04-2007, 01:29

Well, the standard at CDZ has always been so much to honour deals I don't recall we ever had a rule in case a deal was broken. That's in Civ games. Like Stapel said Diplomacy (the game) is different, it is made for breaking deals.

I'd be perfectly happy if we agree to honour deals and no rule if you break. You simply don't.
Ai. I forgot about that gay-happy-teddybear-attitude you guys always had in Civ3. [rolleyes] IMO, unbreakable treaties are boring. Civ is just as much suited for such diplomacy as in Diplomacy. And for what it's worth, I've played in a couple of Pitboss games now and no treaty was ever safe for sure. In reality, however, it didn't matter much, because people fear a damaged reputation too much, so don't worry too much about that either.

But I would make an exception if there's just the two of you (for now), because indeed then you can break a treaty and no one will ever know. That's a bit lame. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

Stapel
28-04-2007, 09:36

Here's the map, so that you can have a look at the map yourself. You don't need it to play the pitboss.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif CDZEartha.CivWarlordsWBSave.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007416125532_CDZEartha.CivWarlordsWBSave.zip)
41.16 KB

How can I open/play this map?

Robi D
28-04-2007, 11:32
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

41.16 KB

How can I open/play this map?

Just run the file, it will start the game automatically, then go into world builder.

As for breaking treaties, there should be no in game punishment. To take out the double cross takes away some of the uncertainty and excitement of the game. Besides the penalty for doing so is that in future games no one will trust you. Personally i don't agree to any treaties i'm not going to keep:D

Stapel
29-04-2007, 15:06
Ok, let's not make things more difficult than they are. We simply have no rules about treaties.

Stapel
29-04-2007, 17:18
Ok, let's not make things more difficult than they are. We simply have no rules about treaties.

mauer
29-04-2007, 17:59
How about formalizing all treaties. In chat or fly by PM's just count as negotiations which can always fall through. I've burned myself on fly by PM's, and I don't like making treaties that way....coughrobboocough....So don't weigh and measure my every word unless it says "Treaty".

BCLG100
29-04-2007, 19:49
i can tell the difference between a treaty and word of mouth, i'll only get seriously annoyed if its just a plain break but then ill just remember that for the next game.

Robboo
30-04-2007, 05:54
quote:Originally posted by mauer

How about formalizing all treaties. In chat or fly by PM's just count as negotiations which can always fall through. I've burned myself on fly by PM's, and I don't like making treaties that way....coughrobboocough....So don't weigh and measure my every word unless it says "Treaty".

NOT my fault you cant remember deals...your attack cost me any chance at winning despite you AND I promising never to attack each other..you bastard. :)( no hard feelings...)

I have never once broken any treaties so I dont quite know what you are talking about Robi. :)

Stapel
30-04-2007, 23:29
Is it just me? Or do 24 hours take about 26 hours here?

Matrix
30-04-2007, 23:38
Injection eleven. [tongue]

Beam
01-05-2007, 00:32
At last a Quecha found something else to eat than raw Amazon vegetation. [dance]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20075103229_800px-Black_jaguar.jpg
72.35KB

Matrix
01-05-2007, 03:23
Celebrate every small victory while you still can. [tongue]

I've made a second Windows account here which is solely meant for the hosting of this game. Now the two Pitboss windows don't clutter the task bar. ;) And with the task manager I've closed all processes in that account, except for the Pitboss and Civstats, but including Explorer. :D But it's a limited account, so please let me know as soon as possible if you can't connect.

Stapel
01-05-2007, 10:29

Injection eleven. [tongue]

I'm affraid I am too dumb to understand this.

BTW, my question was serious. The start of the turn seems to come later every day....

Matrix
01-05-2007, 12:25
Spuit elf! (Ken je die uitdrukking niet? Ergens mee aankomen wat al eerder gepasseerd is.)

Anyway, you're right. The timer goes a little bit slower than it ought to do. This is a known issue. But I haven't figured out yet how to change the timer.

mauer
01-05-2007, 13:41
Anyone gonna claim Poly?

Stapel
01-05-2007, 13:59

Spuit elf! (Ken je die uitdrukking niet? Ergens mee aankomen wat al eerder gepasseerd is.)

Of course I do know that! However, you do NOT!. We use so many sayings and phrases in the Dutch language, that most people have no idea where they come from! The proper translation of 'spuit elf' is nozzle eleven, not injection eleven.... I would never have guessed what you mean! The complete saying is "Nozzle eleven gives mud". It comes from fire fighters. When there already are ten guys fighting a fire, there is no use in getting an eleventh person, because his nozzle will only give mud (from the bottom of the canal). In practice it indeed means that there is no use in saying something which has been mentioned ten times.

quote:Anyway, you're right. The timer goes a little bit slower than it ought to do. This is a known issue. But I haven't figured out yet how to change the timer.
Well, as you have concluded, the issue was not known to me!

Stapel
01-05-2007, 14:02

Anyone gonna claim Poly?

Can't you see the name of the holy city? Not sure, but I think that's possible, right?

mauer
01-05-2007, 14:08
Nope, can't see it till I meet them.

Matrix
01-05-2007, 16:52

Of course I do know that! However, you do NOT!. We use so many sayings and phrases in the Dutch language, that most people have no idea where they come from! The proper translation of 'spuit elf' is nozzle eleven, not injection eleven.... I would never have guessed what you mean! The complete saying is "Nozzle eleven gives mud". It comes from fire fighters. When there already are ten guys fighting a fire, there is no use in getting an eleventh person, because his nozzle will only give mud (from the bottom of the canal). In practice it indeed means that there is no use in saying something which has been mentioned ten times.
Hehe, didn't know that! You certainly put me in my place here. [scratch]

BCLG100
01-05-2007, 18:41
quite so.

ProPain
01-05-2007, 23:03
Civ 4 makes me feel like a complete noob......

I wish I still had the huge amount of time I had when Civ3 hit the shelves :)

Matrix
02-05-2007, 00:13
Well, Civ4 simply takes a little bit more time to get used to than Civ3. The good thing as well as the annoying thing is that there isn't always a clear best strategy to go for.

Stapel
02-05-2007, 10:11

It took me more than a year to get sucked into cIV. Many things that were extremely important in civ3 have disappeared (like the mm-ing to get exactly filled up shield and food boxes, lowering the tech percentages when a new tech is near, or cities shutting down).

But cIV offers a huge amount of new features! It simply takes time to get along with that!

mauer
02-05-2007, 13:53
Just a heads up to yous guys....Klammi is filling in for me here starting today and ending on Tuesday of next week...Have fun guys, I'll try and bring ya'll back a hula girl [wavey]

BCLG100
02-05-2007, 15:15

It took me more than a year to get sucked into cIV. Many things that were extremely important in civ3 have disappeared (like the mm-ing to get exactly filled up shield and food boxes, lowering the tech percentages when a new tech is near, or cities shutting down).

But cIV offers a huge amount of new features! It simply takes time to get along with that!

There still is an awful lot of MM'ing that can be done so its not just hit enter every turn and move units around :)

Stapel
02-05-2007, 15:25

There still is an awful lot of MM'ing that can be done so its not just hit enter every turn and move units around :)

The main difference is that forgetting to mm a city one turn, will not affect your whole plan for a dozen turns in cIV.

BCLG100
02-05-2007, 16:58
im not sure i had to do a very important piece of mming a few turns ago that would have meant my whole game would have been about 15 turns behind where i wanted it to be if i hadn't.

Stapel
03-05-2007, 07:25
How to change a password in a pitboss game?

I tried to search CFC, but without succes.

Does anybody know how to chnage my pitboss password?

Robi D
03-05-2007, 08:50
I don't think you can, not in the usual way. The only way i know of is to retire and let the AI take over then log in and take over again. Maybe someone else knows a better way

Matrix
03-05-2007, 13:05
I don't, but there's nothing wrong with that procedure. Just make sure you've finished your turn before retiring, so that the AI won't do things for you.

Stapel
03-05-2007, 13:06

I don't think you can, not in the usual way. The only way i know of is to retire and let the AI take over then log in and take over again. Maybe someone else knows a better way

Sounds ok, if this can be done within one turn, right?

Stapel
03-05-2007, 13:12

I don't, but there's nothing wrong with that procedure. Just make sure you've finished your turn before retiring, so that the AI won't do things for you.

I've finshed my turn this morning. So, when I get home, I should join the game (make sure I have indeed pressed enter) and simply retire?

Then what?
pick the Aztecs and simply fill in a new PW (twice)?

IglooDude
03-05-2007, 13:30

I've finshed my turn this morning. So, when I get home, I should join the game (make sure I have indeed pressed enter) and simply retire?

Then what?
pick the Aztecs and simply fill in a new PW (twice)?

Yep.

Stapel
03-05-2007, 19:05
Password succesfully changed!

Stapel
05-05-2007, 11:26
I'm off to France. Darkness will take over this week.

Matrix
05-05-2007, 12:09
Have fun!

How's the connection, guys? Does it take a long time to download the game (compared to other Pitboss games)?

Robboo
05-05-2007, 14:31
seems about normal Matrix..I cant say its longer yet. The real test will come when more of of teh map is filled with units and cities.

BCLG100
06-05-2007, 00:48
i now realise why i love imperialistic for the early game!

Shabbaman
06-05-2007, 17:48
So, what's wrong with the server?

Matrix
06-05-2007, 18:19
You can't connect? [confused]

Shabbaman
06-05-2007, 20:42
quote:5/6/07 12:44 am Uploader timed out

So only 5 players played the previous turn?

BCLG100
06-05-2007, 20:46
No civstats the main site is having an update, therefore the civstats things will be out of date for the next few days. its just hit and miss whether turn has gone over etc right now.

Beam
06-05-2007, 20:52
Civstats is back in the air for me. Next turn 17 hours from now.

Matrix
10-05-2007, 17:20
Melifluous hasn't logged in for twelve turns in a row now. [hmm] I sent him a PM.

BCLG100
10-05-2007, 19:00
i sent him a pm regarding another game awhile ago too, still no reply.

Darkness
10-05-2007, 20:19

Melifluous hasn't logged in for twelve turns in a row now. [hmm] I sent him a PM.

He hasn't been at CDZ for about two weeks either...

Beam
10-05-2007, 20:23
He has been at the site according to the Memebers page but hasn't <s>spammed</s> posted.

digger760
11-05-2007, 11:06
He obviously upset that nobody has noticed the lack of spam recently

Matrix
11-05-2007, 12:39
He asked me to kick him to AI, because he's got too much work on his hands right now.

Stapel
13-05-2007, 10:07
Ich bin zurück!

BCLG100
13-05-2007, 19:55
sorry?

Darkness
14-05-2007, 09:44

Ich bin zurück!

sorry?

I am back - in German...

mauer
16-05-2007, 18:12
I think the uploader disconnected at or about the same time I logged in. Should have about 12 hours left.

BCLG100
16-05-2007, 21:29
yeah, just matrix and pp to go now.

Beam
16-05-2007, 21:37
PP hasn't been playing for a couple of turns now, maybe send him a PM?

mauer
17-05-2007, 03:56
Actually, he's missed 6 turns, with this one being the 7th. Is there some way we might be able to sub the AI for him until he returns or someone hears from him?

Matrix
19-05-2007, 00:36
Alright, I kicked ProPain too.

I hope Melifluous didn't set a precedent. [sulk]

Beam
20-05-2007, 00:58
Just wondering what the difference is between being AI or skipping turns apart from delaying the whole shit to the next turn. Pretty clear "AI" means the even better artificial intelligence will play the game for you but does the same happen when skipping turns? For example will a new tech or improvement be started?

BCLG100
20-05-2007, 03:06
If its just a few turns then no the AI does nothing, after you miss a certain number though the AI takes over.

Matrix
20-05-2007, 05:22
What gives you that idea, BCLG100? Most logical seems to me that the AI will do nothing. All the things you put in queues will be performed (and if you give a unit the order "explore" it will effectively do the same as when you leave it to the AI), but whatever unit does not have something in queue will do nothing. If you have no science in queue you will research nothing. If a city isn't producing anything it won't start something unordered.

BCLG100
20-05-2007, 15:06
Because it happened to me in that first game we played hosted by daveshack with davemcw the eventual winner. I couldnt get in for over a month and a half as it wasnt accepting my password for some reason.

Matrix
21-05-2007, 13:33
I just got Buddhism. [???] Why didn't anyone else take it earlier? Because you all thought "someone else will probably beat me to it"?

Because it happened to me in that first game we played hosted by daveshack with davemcw the eventual winner. I couldnt get in for over a month and a half as it wasnt accepting my password for some reason.
And you're sure DaveShack didn't kick you? I can't deny what you're saying, since you've had experience with it and I haven't. It just seems highly unlikely in my perspective. [scratch]

IglooDude
21-05-2007, 14:26
Same here - my sense was that if a person doesn't log in, there's no "AI" involved at all - the orders are followed, and the queues are researched/built, but beyond that nada, and the pitboss server never decides on its own to AI-ize a human player's civ.

Easy enough to test, I suppose - just bring up a new pitboss game with a few (non-playing) human players and minimum turn times, and check back in a month.

BCLG100
21-05-2007, 17:14
I dont think he did, it was over a year ago now so my memory isnt crystal clear but i don't recall any re-entering of my password whilst during that time i had built a worker and a rax.

Stapel
21-05-2007, 18:39

I just got Buddhism. [???] Why didn't anyone else take it earlier? Because you all thought "someone else will probably beat me to it"?

I already have hinduism :) .

Robi D
22-05-2007, 09:21

Because i was too busy trying to stop Propain killing me :D

Beam
22-05-2007, 23:59
Anyone still receiving e-mails from Civstats when the next turns starts? It has been dead for me since they did some kind of upgrade. [scratch]

BCLG100
23-05-2007, 00:20
I never got them to begin with :( not sure why.

though i have seen reports of that happening elsewhere.

mauer
23-05-2007, 00:20
No emails for me either.

Matrix
23-05-2007, 00:28
Same here. And apparently the other account I made doesn't allow Civ4Pitboss to send e-mails.

Matrix
30-05-2007, 14:25
I'm gonna have to switch my modem, so the game will be offline for either a couple of minutes or many hours. I'll post here when I'm back online.

Edit: Haha! You're not gonna get me with your 'law', Murphy! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/boxer.gif

BCLG100
30-05-2007, 15:43
btw who built stonehenge?

mauer
30-05-2007, 16:05
Matrix, as soon as you walk away it's gonna blow up.

Robboo
30-05-2007, 16:09

btw who built stonehenge?

you mean theres more people out there other than the one i found....

I think if you havent met them you shouldnt know. Unless we allow diplo between civs that havent met.

Matrix
30-05-2007, 16:25

Unless we allow diplo between civs that havent met.
I don't think we should, but does it matter to know earlier who built a certain wonder? It wasn't me, by the way.

BCLG100
30-05-2007, 18:43
diplo sure, ackowledging a wonder is part of the fun in my mind, especially as we could not meet other nations for hundreds of turns.

Robi D
31-05-2007, 10:01
If you look at the scores at the time its pretty obvious if you ask me

*cough* beam *cough*

Beam
31-05-2007, 10:14

If you look at the scores at the time its pretty obvious if you ask me

*cough* beam *cough*

Moi? [mischief]

Robi D
31-05-2007, 15:05
*cough* yes you *cough* [:P]

Beam
31-05-2007, 23:23
This weekend I'll be away from sometime Friday to sometime Sunday so ur all welcome in the Green Hell of Bolivia. [evil] For most things are automated for the coming turns except for one I have a Q later.

Sad thing is I won't be finishing turns so the Pitboss timer will run the full 26 hours or so for the next turn. In your experience anyway of avoiding this except switching AI which I really don't want?

My Q is about worker action automation. Is it possible to give a worker working a tile a command working another tile after completing the current tile?

TIA

mauer
31-05-2007, 23:29
I don't think that's possible. No worries though Beam, that's what the timer is for. Thanks for the notice though :)

Beam
31-05-2007, 23:45
@Mauer, you mean that's also for a worker being able to see what it can improve on another tile, no way of queuing that? One of the CiV selling points I recall is doing multiple worker improvements in one go (i.e. move &gt; chop &gt; work &gt; connect for example, not that I've ever seen it this literally).

killercane
31-05-2007, 23:46
You can definitely queue up worker moves by holding Shift or Control or something like that. I just dont know the specific button combination.

BCLG100
01-06-2007, 00:29
yeah, you just hold shift from memory

mauer
01-06-2007, 00:30
Hmm, learn something new everyday. I was looking in the book and couldn't find anything on it.

akots
01-06-2007, 00:34
As long as the improvement is visible and within your territory and there are no enemies or barbarians to interrupt it, that Shift thing works quite well. I'm not sure how deep one can go there in terms of how many actions are actually remembered but should be enough for a couple of turns. When animals or barbarians appear next to it, everything is cleared and worker is activated to be able to run away from danger. It also does work even with the Great Wall and animals which is rather annoying at times.

BCLG100
01-06-2007, 00:38
did rhye fix the bug in this map where you could build certain wonders in europe and they would count for the whole of eurasia?

BCLG100
03-06-2007, 19:48
yo beamhow come your not ending your turns?

mauer
03-06-2007, 20:11
7 posts up, he's away for the weekend. Apparently Matrix had to reload at some point in time also.

Stapel
03-06-2007, 20:12

The answer is a few posts up :) .

mauer
03-06-2007, 20:18
beat you by 9 seconds there stapel :p

BCLG100
03-06-2007, 20:48
well that would explain it if he wasnt logging in but you can click on his name and see that someone called beam is...

mauer
03-06-2007, 21:23
Oh yeah, I have no explanation now Sherlock Holmes.

Stapel
03-06-2007, 21:43

beat you by 9 seconds there stapel :p

You've ruined my day!

Beam
03-06-2007, 23:33

You mean one single turn? When I was about to leave next turn came in and I guess actually logged out without ending in the hurry.

BCLG100
04-06-2007, 01:54

You mean one single turn? When I was about to leave next turn came in and I guess actually logged out without ending in the hurry.

well if it had of been once then i wouldnt have mentioned anything but it was twice in a row, was subtely hinting that maybe you were waiting for something to happen.

Stapel
04-06-2007, 20:00
This time the waiting is on ProPain. He checked in again, to take over from the AI.

mauer
04-06-2007, 21:09
I say we get out the cane pole for non turn enders......they make me madder than a wet hornet.

JK

Beam
04-06-2007, 21:14
Matrix, can you please send PP another e-mail if he is sure he has time to play? Don't think PM will work cause he hasn't been on site for weeks.

Stapel
04-06-2007, 23:51
PP is in da game!

BCLG100
05-06-2007, 00:39
6/4/07 10:51 pm Stapel Logged out
6/4/07 10:43 pm ProPain Logged in
6/4/07 10:36 pm Stapel Logged in
6/4/07 10:03 pm Cat Behemoth Logged out
6/4/07 10:01 pm Cat Behemoth Logged in
6/4/07 7:39 pm Shabbaman Logged out
6/4/07 7:30 pm Shabbaman Logged in
6/4/07 7:01 pm Stapel Logged out
6/4/07 6:52 pm Stapel Logged in
6/4/07 6:25 pm Stapel Logged out
6/4/07 6:24 pm Stapel Logged in
6/4/07 6:14 pm Shabbaman Logged out
6/4/07 6:10 pm Shabbaman Logged in

bleeding hell people- civstats is there for a reason [:p]

just so you know logging in too many times does put a strain on some servers.

Shabbaman
05-06-2007, 07:57
I was actually doing something.

Beam
07-06-2007, 10:01
Interesting:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20076710117_battle.jpg
19.92KB

Robi D
07-06-2007, 10:46
Trying to errm... say something?
:)

BCLG100
07-06-2007, 15:56
So ive met 3 others now, who can beat me?

Shabbaman
07-06-2007, 16:14
Good question.

You got good land and resources, plus the advantage of the sea in your back. You can block me easily in Greece/Turkey, so that leaves you with Akots fighting for territory. I bet you knew what you were picking when we choose the map. Or did you only pick romans because you are the type that likes to rush his neighbours with preatorians, claiming that they're only on a scouting mission?

BCLG100
07-06-2007, 17:57
beat me in the sense of beat me in numbers of contacts mr ulterior motive [:p]

im unsure- everyone knew what they were picking when they chose the map, i got lucky no-one else picked a european civ other than akots.

Shabbaman
07-06-2007, 18:03
Well, I could choose between Mali, Egypt, Persia and Arabia. I think I choose the best of that pack, but it's nothing worth organizing a party for.

BCLG100
07-06-2007, 18:08
Come conquer me then, take my land :p

Robboo
07-06-2007, 19:07
dang...I dont think shabba and BC will get along with out fighting in this game...

killercane
07-06-2007, 19:23
Hey Mali is strong, Mali is mighty... and we now have 5 total population!

Shabbaman
07-06-2007, 21:15

Come conquer me then, take my land :p

You don't have enough sand for my liking ;)

Beam
09-06-2007, 20:48
Who is "Stapelshelper"?

BCLG100
09-06-2007, 21:02
igloodude, at least in klammis game he is.

akots
09-06-2007, 21:16
im unsure- everyone knew what they were picking when they chose the map, i got lucky no-one else picked a european civ other than akots.

Well, I've picked Russia for obvious reasons which have nothing to do with map or whatever else. I like some role-playing, you know. So, I'd be trying to be peaceful and quiet just like the real history can be considered to have been with Catherine (someone might certainly disagree though; and unless Mongols come and would try for some mischief).

If it were Stalin, it could have been different. If it were Piter, it would have been certainly different. So, everyone can relax now and have a glass of warm, delicious, wheat vodka, courtesy of the Imperial Distillery in Moscow. [beer1]

Robi D
10-06-2007, 10:37
quote:Originally posted by akots

Well, I've picked Russia for obvious reasons which have nothing to do with map or whatever else. I like some role-playing, you know. So, I'd be trying to be peaceful and quiet just like the real history can be considered to have been with Catherine (someone might certainly disagree though; and unless Mongols come and would try for some mischief).

If it were Stalin, it could have been different. If it were Piter, it would have been certainly different. So, everyone can relax now and have a glass of warm, delicious, wheat vodka, courtesy of the Imperial Distillery in Moscow. [beer1]

The Mongols are slightly preoccupied at the moment with some internal issues so i think you can rest easy

IglooDude
10-06-2007, 13:10

Who is "Stapelshelper"?

Yeah, it's me, Stapel asked me to sub for him this weekend.

Stapel
10-06-2007, 23:08
Stapel is back!

Anyway, what's up with ProPain?

Beam
10-06-2007, 23:24

Stapel is back!

Anyway, what's up with ProPain?

Afaik he is set as active player but not playing.

BCLG100
10-06-2007, 23:53
deja vu, could we set him as AI to possibly make it a bit harder for robi to roll over him?

Robi D
11-06-2007, 03:04

deja vu, could we set him as AI to possibly make it a bit harder for robi to roll over him?

too late, not that it would have helped much given the firepower i have

BCLG100
11-06-2007, 03:09
You were throwing cans of fosters at him cos no-one else wants them?

Robi D
11-06-2007, 03:26
Little red books actually

akots
11-06-2007, 06:22
Ops, sorry, but my civ crashed on me during the turn after I've pressed end of turn button. Hopefully the server is OK.

Matrix
11-06-2007, 11:29
Seems to be. My computer is rock solid. [evil]

Shabbaman
11-06-2007, 22:09
Bummer, I can't manage to play my turn today: no civ4 installed.

BCLG100
11-06-2007, 22:22
send me your pass ill log in for you :)

Beam
11-06-2007, 22:35
Shabba currently is logged in according to civstats. I guess you have to use that scouting Praet to stop him BC!

Kemal
11-06-2007, 22:37
Actually, as the standard replacement player for Shabba and having seen his post here, I contacted him via PM to play so that would be me being logged in.... currently awaiting some info on any wandering praets or what else from shabba via PM...

Shabba? You've got mail (again)..

mauer
11-06-2007, 22:44
I think he said, and I quote..."Give all the cities and units to Mauer". I'll log back in after a bit to accept :D

Kemal
11-06-2007, 22:53
Damn I knew I had forgotten something when I pressed end turn... [sad]

mauer
11-06-2007, 22:58
It's ok, I can wait until next turn :p

BCLG100
11-06-2007, 23:02
am i the only one that scouts with units other than warriors and scouts then?

i figure whats the point in building them if they're not going to be usefull! may as well wander around for a bit see what they can find.

Beam
11-06-2007, 23:03
[rotfl]

Matrix
11-06-2007, 23:58
Damn, you guys are pretty aggressive! ProPain is already dead (though he kinda asked for it, if I understood correctly), Shabbaman's having a hard time, and killercane attacked my scout with his warrior for no reason. [confused] Or were you angry that I nicked that hut before you? [dunno]

akots
12-06-2007, 00:23
Don't know, really. The map seems to be so huge, there is room for everyone there. No, seriously.

mauer
12-06-2007, 00:40
I am at war with myself in this game as well, so no worries guys....I have mauer covered!

BCLG100
12-06-2007, 01:45
im not being aggressive with shabba though :S im just exploring!

killercane
12-06-2007, 04:01
I thought the hut was still there! I need some action in the dregs of the world over here in Nigeria or wherever I am.

mauer
12-06-2007, 04:12
From Nigeria, go NE on the express lane to the point leader. He's got some nice cities and excellent chardonnay :D

killercane
12-06-2007, 05:06
My maps only go as far as the northern desert and southern jungle. Who's giving Shabbaman the Oracle Builder trouble?

Robboo
12-06-2007, 05:27
whats this talk of other civs....I only know of one.

Shabbaman
12-06-2007, 08:02
quote:Originally posted by killercane

Who's giving Shabbaman the Oracle Builder trouble?

That'd be the desert :(

Did anyone even try to build the oracle? I researched useless techs like fishing before I even got on that path. Didn't chop anything (no trees in the desert you know). Matrix had a religion before I did, so he could've gotten to it first.

BCLG100
12-06-2007, 12:33
I was too busy building settlers and workers, 6&6 resepectivly :)

Robi D
12-06-2007, 12:49

whats this talk of other civs....I only know of one.

I know only one too.... oh wait ummm, let me rephrase that

i used to know one other civ[mischief]

mauer
12-06-2007, 21:34
eh.....you know me. So I'm reading across threads here, and I think I'll be ready.

Beam
12-06-2007, 21:41
Can somebody explain me what this talk about "other civs" is about?

Shabbaman
12-06-2007, 21:47
Just sit back for some turns and I'll send you a nuke to explain what it means ;)

ProPain
12-06-2007, 22:00
[cry] I'm dead. Prolly for the best as my logging behaviour wasnt even erratic at best. My sincere apologies for this.

Pretty clear for me that any form of online gaming that requires a regular log in is out of the question for me and prolly will be for quite a while as I;ve come to realise that my personal and professional life just don't leave time for this sort of activity right now. Promised myself I won't enter any new civ games for the next year at least.

Again my apologies for letting you guys down on this game.

mauer
12-06-2007, 22:07
Didn't let me down, just means we'll have nothing but dumb savages to meet in the future in the "New Land", or so shabba's oracle says.

Beam
12-06-2007, 22:17
Nuff savages around here, if you wanna see some in your imaginatory future I'll keep them in cages for 5 gpt each.

mauer
12-06-2007, 22:35
I didn't call you a savage, remember that Shabba and his little domed building did ;)

Beam
12-06-2007, 22:58

I didn't call you a savage, remember that Shabba and his little domed building did ;)

You're saying you can't afford the 5gpt for the savages? You better decide now cause they will go +1gpt every 10 turns.

mauer
12-06-2007, 23:07
Actually, if you can come pick up my savages, then I might just go for that! They're starting to sprout just about every turn.

Beam
12-06-2007, 23:10
Very glad to pick up your savages but I'm colorblind you know so I might mistake a couple.

Matrix
12-06-2007, 23:38

No problem. ;) I actually pushed you too much to play this game in the first place...

Robi D
13-06-2007, 11:08

eh.....you know me. So I'm reading across threads here, and I think I'll be ready.

Oh yeah, so i do, sorry i forgot about that[blush2]

Robi D
13-06-2007, 11:12

[cry] I'm dead. Prolly for the best as my logging behaviour wasnt even erratic at best. My sincere apologies for this.

Pretty clear for me that any form of online gaming that requires a regular log in is out of the question for me and prolly will be for quite a while as I;ve come to realise that my personal and professional life just don't leave time for this sort of activity right now. Promised myself I won't enter any new civ games for the next year at least.

Sorry Propain. I would have prefered to have you around when those savages in the west come knocking, but your AI counterpart Genghis isn't a very friendly chap at the best of times so i had to take care of things before they got out of hand

killercane
14-06-2007, 19:54
Anybody want to play for me for a week starting Saturday? I dont even care if you are in the game since we are all so isolated anyhoo.

Stapel
14-06-2007, 19:59
I'm not sure that would be ok! Who knows what advantage your replacement can have over other players, by knowing your surroundings.

Matrix
14-06-2007, 21:49
I agree. Best would be to find a replacement from out of the game, otherwise let the AI handle your civ, or just use queues. It's just seven turns...

IglooDude
14-06-2007, 22:10

Anybody want to play for me for a week starting Saturday? I dont even care if you are in the game since we are all so isolated anyhoo.

I think I can do it, if you'd like. Certainly my knowledge of ProPain's start is obsolete.

killercane
14-06-2007, 22:49
Good deal. Thanks ID. PM sent.

Robi D
15-06-2007, 16:14
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

I think I can do it, if you'd like. Certainly my knowledge of ProPain's start is obsolete.

Since its a map of the earth we all have a decent idea about everyones starting locations so it doesn't really matter to much.

mauer
16-06-2007, 00:11
The Ministry of Despotic Indians would like to announce the unveiling of the worlds latest and greatest wonder of the world! I present to you.....the Parthenon! The Parthenon will primarily be used as a center of worship to the Goddess Athena, although it may never be a recognized religion. It will also be used as a catalyst for the discover of many great people and a sushi bar. All that or it will be used to draw the attention of future invaders who have no sushi of their own.

Shabbaman
16-06-2007, 08:58
Sushi? Sounds great! [punch]

Stapel
16-06-2007, 09:28
According to civstats, I have finished my turn twice....

BCLG100
18-06-2007, 22:37
Im away for ten days, HAK is covering my turns in this one so if any deals need to be done can you talk to him please :)

Matrix
18-06-2007, 23:18
HAK = HitAnyKey, by the way. [tongue] Is that his nickname at CFC as well, cos I don't believe he's a member here...

BCLG100
19-06-2007, 00:20
Yep it is, he's at strategamer too.

Beam
19-06-2007, 00:50
Doz ke now he can regoster her as well?

Stapel
19-06-2007, 11:28

You were either in a hurry, or terribly drunk, when you typed this, right? Probably the latter :D .

Matrix
19-06-2007, 15:28

Register who? [coool]

Stapel
19-06-2007, 16:06

Register who? [coool]

In correct english, that would be "register whom?"

Matrix
19-06-2007, 17:35
Oh, dear me! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/old.gif

Beam
19-06-2007, 20:38

You were either in a hurry, or terribly drunk, when you typed this, right? Probably the latter :D .

There actually is one typo with what I wanted to type ;) ke instead of he.

mauer
22-06-2007, 22:20
I'm thinking maybe HAK forgot he was filling in or something.

EDIT: Found him on the other site and PMed him.