PDA

View Full Version : * SPOILER * CDZ Pitboss - Arabia

Shabbaman
16-04-2007, 22:05
So, I joined this pitboss game (don't ask why), and I got to choose between Egypt and Persia. So obviously I picked Arabia: we all know arabs rule the world right?

Basically my plan is to pray that the arabs have all the oil in this game as well, so I'll have to make it to the endgame first.

4000 b.c.: looks like I have a craptastic start. Since I doubt anyone would want all these desert tiles, I'm sure I'll make it to the endgame. Strategery is tech!

Civstats are here (http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=434&s=m), open thread is here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4356).

socralynnek
16-04-2007, 23:26
First I thought, wow another player that made a spoiler for "our" pitboss game...then I saw Arabia...
irritated me first.

You chose to go Always War, didn't you?

So, no need to asking whether you have friends already...

Shabbaman
17-04-2007, 21:51
Always war? Don't know, I thought we went with no tech trading.

Shabbaman
19-04-2007, 21:45
3840 b.c.:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/200741921442_Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

No gold around the capital, so instead of going for a religion I went with fishing.

Shabbaman
29-04-2007, 10:38
3520 b.c. I just researched agriculture, now researching husbandry. Couldn't decide if I wanted the marble or the sheep around Mecca. Decided to go for the growth.

Shabbaman
14-05-2007, 08:17
2960 b.c. Just researched masonry, decided to aim for judaism>monarchy. I'm not yet sure if I want to build a third city already.

Shabbaman
25-05-2007, 19:06
2480 b.c. Well, I already completed my primary objective for this game: converting the arabs to judaism. Currently researching pottery. Next goal: converting all jews to christianity. Or islam, I'm undecided.

killercane
25-05-2007, 20:01
Did you start with 2 settlers? Why is the desert giving 3 food? Looks kind of like the mapmaker took out a river. Are you going to move the palace to the marbley spot when CS comes in?

Shabbaman
25-05-2007, 20:07
Everybody started with two settlers. I think the mapmaker added floodplains to balance my terrible desert start. The hill to the NW of my capital now has a horsey, so it's actually a pretty productive city now.

digger760
28-05-2007, 10:22
quote:Originally posted by killercane

Why is the desert giving 3 food?

I noticed that, I assumed it was a special trait of the arabs.

Shabbaman
28-05-2007, 10:30
Hahaha [lol]

Shabbaman
04-06-2007, 19:22
2000 b.c. Kemal filled in the previous three or four turns, and in his wisdom he decided to build the oracle ;) It sounds better than it probably is, because I had a pretty erratic tech path so far (who starts with fishing anyway?), the tech I ended up with is theology. Better than nothing, and because I have marble I could easily build the Sistine chapel now. Building the oracle only took me 8 turns or so, and it's a great boost in any case. And I'm sure some people are pretty disappointed by now.

For the following few turns I'm going to produce some archers, I bet someone is gunning for me now. And archers with CG and first strike should be... okay.

Kemal, thanks for filling in again!

Kemal
04-06-2007, 19:44
Well, I was in doubt whether to choose CoL or Theology... but in the end because I think theocracy can be extremely useful in combination with the spiritual trait, I chose Theology solely based on that.

In combination with BW I thought it would be a pretty good deterrent to be able to pop rush units with free promos added to the free promos your trait gives you. Also, the free missionary could be used to spread religion on a neighbour and get some good espionage (though I suppose that would also have counted for Confucianism).
One thing I do like to note, it wasn't the sistine chapel that made me go for theology, as I think that wonder is useless. ;)

Oh, and one more thing, It could also perhaps be useful to switch to christianity for a few turns to get a free (much needed) border pop in damascus, as that is the new holy city...

As for filling in, anytime - if I have the time. But be prepared for my wacky (tech) choices then every now and then... :)

Shabbaman
04-06-2007, 20:27
The chapel is pretty useless, unless you go for some cultural victory thing. Switching to christianity, that's t3ch ;) I'm currently in organized religion though, I don't know for sure if I can already switch.

Shabbaman
17-06-2007, 22:22
1400 b.c. I got iron hooked up (finally). I'm wondering if I want a 5th city. I can get monarchy in 9, ivory and gold coming online soon.

digger760
18-06-2007, 09:48
how about a picture.

Shabbaman
24-06-2007, 10:33
quote:Originally posted by digger760

how about a picture.

I'd love to, but I'm getting error messages while uploading.

EDIT: look!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007810184854_1160bc_klein.jpg
142.77KB

Shabbaman
25-07-2007, 22:30
400 b.c. So I found out killercane was moving a stack (2 cats, an elephant, a spear and 2 chariots, something like that) towards Medina. He's 3 turns away now, I'm sending some troops to Africa. Currently, I have the second highest number of troops (second to BCLG or Akots is my guess), and highest ranked in power.

Shabbaman
31-07-2007, 18:12
225 b.c. I've tactically retreated my units out of my newly settled South Egyptian city, to defend my northern city. I've wiped out most of India's invading units, while Mali is yet to attack. I don't know what he's waiting for, but I have longbowmen in 2 turns. My guess is that he's screwing with Mauer, who he persuaded to attack simultaneously.

In other news, I've made a very secret pact with Akots. At this point it's defensive in nature, but at least I'm sure (well, what's "sure") that he won't attack me. That leaves BCLG to worry about...

Lightbulbed paper this turn btw.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007810185221_225bc.JPG

Here you see my units in Medina. Plus some malinese units, with 5 catapults in a stack.

Shabbaman
08-08-2007, 19:35
50 b.c. After waiting for Casey to log in again, I completely annihilated his stack. Thumbs up for me. Akots was so nice to donate 3 catapults, but I didn't even need them. I'm going to use them to take Mali's cities though.
I'm waiting for Mauer to declare war again: let's hope he's smart enough to actually put a spearman in his stack. I'm confident I can beat him off: I have catapults ready, plus I have longbowmen now.

I'm really annoyed that I can't post screenshots btw. Anyone know a solution?

digger760
09-08-2007, 13:45
What is the error message you get when uploading?
I uploaded a test file:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/digger760/200789134623_Business Skype.jpg
20.8KB
worked ok for me.

Shabbaman
09-08-2007, 13:55
The usual internal server error... it could be the filenames are too long, or already taken. Or the filesize, I don't know. I'll try again when I'm home.

EDIT: apparently the standard screenshots are too large.

digger760
09-08-2007, 17:29
It looks to me, based on a quick look a previous my uploaded files that the file name is appended with a date and some other number, you could try a short file name, i doubt the file name already exists, unless things are done differently with your admin privledges.

I know you should get a file to big error and invalid file extension errors, but an Internal Server error always when you alone upload a file is an odd one...maybe you account area is full?

Shabbaman
12-08-2007, 22:07
75 a.d. It seems Mauer has no intention to stay away. Anyone wants to place bets on how catapults do against longbowmen with city garrison I and II, fortified on a hill?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/200781222641_Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Whomp
16-08-2007, 01:38
OK so I presume Mauer and 'Cane are my biggest concerns. Akots is a friend and it seems BC iis friendly with open borders.

Machinery will be done which is nice so then what are we looking for pathwise?

Shabbaman
16-08-2007, 07:47
I'm undecided on that. If I want to get rid of those pests I need engineering, yet guilds sounds like a solid way to go as well.

Whomp
25-08-2007, 16:14
Since I'm taking over for Shabba and he's been keeping a nice spoiler I thought I'd add to the thread. He's four turns from camel archers and I think engineering will help quite a bit for movement.

I sent some units south towards Killercane. He's responded with some maces so I'm holding the high ground (jungle hills +75%).

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8662/shabbasouthtu0.jpg

However, the intention is to flank him at the capital. Thoughts?
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1912/shabbatimbukhf4.jpg

In the meantime, on the Indian borders tensions are high. Mauer moved some units into Arabian territory so we responded by sending a couple chariots to get a better look at him. I think there's a possibility this could be a rout.
His total units are the two stacks to the north and a warrior protecting to the south. My thoughts were to send the offensive forces south with some spears and LB's holding down the fort. Should I declare with Shabba away?

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4996/shabbamauersr7.jpg

Whomp
26-08-2007, 17:00
I didn't anticipate the attacks but since the AI took over for Casey we know how they operate.
I decided to pressure Kumbi Saleh since there were some big wins against his units.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6501/shabbavx8.jpg

Whomp
30-08-2007, 19:35
OK after guilds I had to research Horseback riding. Since that tech was pretty cheap I decided to build some chariots so they can be upgraded to the Camel dudes. It will mean turning off research for a few turns to gather the cash but I think it's worth it. The question is what to research next? It seems worthwhile to get some of the luxs online but engineering wouldn't hurt either.

The damage at Kumbi Saleh was considerable on both Cane and us. I was able to cut off both the road leading to the city as well as the cow next to the city. I captured a few more workers 1SW1W of Kumbi Saleh. Instead of attacking the city though I've been moving deeper into his territory towards Goa since he seems to be sending everything at Kumbi Saleh. The city's on a hill so attacking it will be tough and that's why I'd rather see if we can hit empty cities at his backdoor. In the meantime, I sent units along the northern road to build a second stack that can be sent towards the capital. He can't cover everything and seems to be scrambling at this point.

I didn't do anything with Mauer but I think when you get back he can easily be taken and fast.

Shabbaman
30-08-2007, 19:41
Hey Whomp, seems like you took a good care of my empire while I was gone. Thanks a lot! I haven't logged in yet, so I'll have to base it solely on this excellent spoiler. For which, again, thanks. Do you want the privilige of annoying Casey out of the game? Seems like you're better at waging war than I am.

Whomp
30-08-2007, 19:47
No I'd like you to sign in and declare on Mauer. He has one city being protected by a warrior (to the east) and the big stack can be handled by moving other more defensive and some offensive units towards his northern city so he has to freeze them where they are. Remember spears are completely underrated and can do serious damage to War Elephants and other fast units.

I would like to sign in every so often to see how things are developing but would like to see you exact the death blow to Killercane. It will take some time getting all the units over towards his capital but I think the strategy of stringing him out is sound.

Shabbaman
30-08-2007, 20:45
Eh, what's in his stack then?

Whomp
31-08-2007, 16:36
Mauer has about 5 cats, 5 WE's and some various other sorted units.

Shabbaman
02-09-2007, 09:38
The war in the west isn't turning out really well. Casey managed to pick off a lot of the single/double units. I'm going to build mixed stacks, see what camel archers do against war elephants. Not much, I'm afraid, but at least they'll work wonders against his macemen.

In other news, Akots, Robi D and me are working on taking out Mauer. Akots is striking at Calcutta in 6 turns. Which is good for me, because there are a lot of units there. And not in Calcutta, where I will strike. Although I suspect Mauer has more units in the FoW, because he had units in Calcutta some turns ago.

Whomp
02-09-2007, 18:48
Due to Mauer's proximity I'm sure that war will be quick and less painful. Sorry about the sorted units against 'Cane but hopefully his pop rushing, worker loss and pillaging helped a little. He's so far away it's tough to muster a major offensive unless roads are made to both his NE and NW I think.

Shabbaman
02-09-2007, 20:11
I need trebuchets I guess. But his cities are so far away, I don't really now if it's worth it at all. I'll just wait until war weariness kills him :D

Shabbaman
06-09-2007, 23:11
720 a.d. Mauer was kind enough to let me have my second great general. I'm not sure what to do with it.

mauer
11-09-2007, 22:12
Nothing much to declare here. I was weak, technologically backward and made a stupid attack. There's a reason I'm in the shortbus crew [:p]

Shabbaman
11-09-2007, 22:32
You should've put some spearmen in your stack.

mauer
11-09-2007, 22:45
Which stack, the first one? KC told me you had marginal troop levels there....lol, that's why I only brought what I did.

Shabbaman
12-09-2007, 08:48
I don't understand that. I can't imagine he underestimated the number of units I had. Besides that, I think he couldn't have known how many units I had in Damascus, because he had no units there. But since we had an open borders agreement, you could've seen it for yourself.

digger760
12-09-2007, 09:57
This thread is great for loading fast! But all for the wrong reasons no Pictures!!!

Shabbaman
12-09-2007, 10:26
You are right, I'll post more pictures.

mauer
12-09-2007, 13:37
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I don't understand that. I can't imagine he underestimated the number of units I had. Besides that, I think he couldn't have known how many units I had in Damascus, because he had no units there. But since we had an open borders agreement, you could've seen it for yourself.

Ok, I'm stupid. Is that what you're fishing for? [thumbsup]

Shabbaman
17-09-2007, 16:57
No, I'm just trying to understand your train of thought. Obviously I'm trying to brainwash you subliminally, so that I can outsmart you in our next confrontation ;)

940 a.d. I've settled two cities in the core of my empire, to make maximum use of my floodplains. I feel I need to maximize my GNP now. In the mean while I'm building up forces to kill Killercane. I could take out a pretty decent stack he got on a hill with a double move, but I think he's been enough on that end of the stick already. He's not logging in in the weekend anyway, so I could end up doing it unintentionally after all anyway. It's not against the rules to begin with, but still.

I've send all my forces to Africa. I don't really trust Matrix (he's got way too much time to prepare to whatever he wants with those zulus), and if Akots or Robi D want to take my cities there's not much I can do against it anyway. Yeah, gifting it to BCLG or something. Heh.

Some pictures:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007917211530_Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
183.25 KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007917211552_Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
158.28 KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007917211653_Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
174.16 KB

Shabbaman
22-09-2007, 11:10
Okay, two turns played, two pictures.

1000 a.d. Tension is building, but I think I'm getting the upper hand. Still, 4 catapults are a lot against any stack. In 3 turns I have so many units I feel safe to move.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/200792211856_Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
162.24 KB

1010 a.d. I get printing press (gold is good), go for the cheap banking first (gold is good). I'm considering switchig to organized religion because there are good buildings to be build now.

And look, Casey retreated. He left 2 units and a worker on the hill, I picked them off without losses.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007922111034_Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
167.66 KB

No spears in his capital, but now that his catapults are in his city it's become more difficult to strike first. Difficult as in impossible.

Oh, noticed that spot in the fog of war? That's one of Beam's cities enjoying judaism.

Shabbaman
29-09-2007, 00:22
1080 a.d. Well, the stack is on the mountain now. Not much I can do now. I convinced BCLG to attack Mali next turn. Not that it's going to make much of a difference I guess. I see killercane's ready for his double turn. Time for bed, screenshot of the slaughter tomorrow.

Shabbaman
02-10-2007, 20:05
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/200710220221_Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/200710220251_Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Want to bet? :D

quote:9/30/07 11:05 pm Shabbaman Score decreased to 893
9/30/07 11:04 pm Casey Score decreased to 464
9/30/07 11:04 pm Shabbaman Score increased to 903

It took some time, but I finally got my revenge. This war costed me any chance I might have had in the game, so it feels good razing his capital.

So now that Mali is on it's knees, Matrix decides to step in as well. Very. Very. Lame. I wonder what BCLG's reaction will be: he wants malinese cities as a stepping stone for the conquest of Africa. Or so he says.

killercane
11-10-2007, 16:38
Good game. I hope the Malinese Circus provided some entertainment during the boring turns. So how the heck are you going to win? Throw in with Akots vs the big two?

Shabbaman
11-10-2007, 17:44
Can't say having a huge stack of malinese troops in my territory was boring. And let's face it, I'm not going to win. So if I can help akots win that would qualify as half a win to me. If I can make somebody else's life miserable in the mean while, that'd be great.

Whomp
13-10-2007, 00:08
Good work Shabba.
Who are you going to whack?

Shabbaman
13-10-2007, 00:12
The only one I could whack is Matrix. I'm not sure it's worth it. If I do it, I'll go for marines and see if his coastal cities are undefended.

mauer
13-10-2007, 00:15
quote:Originally posted by ShabbamanIf I can make somebody else's life miserable in the mean while, that'd be great.

Mission accomplished [beer1][assw]

Shabbaman
13-10-2007, 00:16
So whose life did I make miserable?

mauer
13-10-2007, 00:21
I was suggesting myself, but it was just a joke. I brought death upon myself.

Whomp
13-10-2007, 18:30
Bear in mind you don't need marines in civ4. You can attack coastal cities with any unit and with galleys, cats and any unit you can pull it off. You get a 50% discount on attack but with cats I did it very successfully against Barbu in our PBEM.

Shabbaman
14-10-2007, 15:34
Hmm... well, something to think about. I'll have to do some more scouting, see if he's any threat at all. In other news, I made a peace treaty with Robi D until the end of the game. He seems very happy with it. Akots has a treaty with him as well.

mauer
14-10-2007, 15:40

And let's face it, I'm not going to win. So if I can help akots win that would qualify as half a win to me.
I think it's pretty safe to say that this will end up being a space race. Does Akots have the hammers/research capabilities to beat out Simon and Robi?

Shabbaman
14-10-2007, 15:51
I don't know, he says he doesn't. He wants me to go for a cultural victory, for which he has 3 artists. I doubt I can pull that off, I'd need something like 3 times 45000 culture.

killercane
14-10-2007, 17:14

I don't know, he says he doesn't. He wants me to go for a cultural victory, for which he has 3 artists. I doubt I can pull that off, I'd need something like 3 times 45000 culture.

How many religions do you have? It might be feasible in 100 turns if you could pull in 10 artists in that time.

Shabbaman
14-10-2007, 18:25
I have 3 religions, I can get a fourth without much trouble from BCLG or akots. Robi D has two very fancy religions from america, but I don't know if he can build missionaries for these religions.

killercane
14-10-2007, 18:53
Is Simon the only one who you dont have an endgame peace deal with?

Shabbaman
14-10-2007, 20:08
I have made some consessions to matrix, and I've been trying to get Simon to come to an agreement. The difficulty is that he wants to expand (obviously), but he's out of space. He does want an ally, but mainly to go to war. I've suggested a pact between us and akots, but bclg wants to attack Robi D. Makes sense, because that'll increase his chances to win.

I haven't really been talking a lot to stapel and beam, but they're still far away.

Some eye candy to illustrate my current situation:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029114322_Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

I'm leading in the cultural department, if that counts for something...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007102911469_Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

... but the war efforts certainly made me fall behind in the technology department. Increasing GPT is the main concern now.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029114719_Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

But then again, look at what Matrix is bringing to keep himself safe from me. He's weak, but he doesn't know his place: I'm pissed that he attacked Mali when Casey's pants were down, and that he settled Khartoum so close to my territory. Those are my cows. I'm regretting that I agreed to peace (otoh, I'm fed up with waging war).

Shabbaman
19-10-2007, 18:17
1330 a.d.: discovered replaceble parts, after considering rifling I went for economics>corporation. Extra trade routes means extra research, and for the moment I'm just as safe with grens as with rifles.

Shabbaman
29-10-2007, 12:23
I haven't updated this in some weeks, to make up for it I made a lot of screenies.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/2007102912912_Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Ha, got my cow back!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029121134_Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Africa's first grenadier.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029121439_Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

See, good things happen to my income.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029121658_Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Still haven't achieved a cultural victory. At 100 culture a turn I only need 450 more turns. Hurray.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029121914_Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Baghdad is building 1 rifleman each turn.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071029122033_Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Making friends is A good thing(TM).

Pastorius
29-10-2007, 18:30
Wartime against Maarten sooN?

Shabbaman
29-10-2007, 18:34
No, no, I promised him peace and I intend to keep it. Unless I notice him doing something out of the ordinary, like building the UN or allying with Stapel or Beam, something like that.

Shabbaman
05-01-2008, 12:37
Well, the game is over, but I have this pile of images still lying around.

I'll post them first, then do some commentary.

EDIT: hmm, getting continuous Internal messages, crap server, crap forum software

[punch]

Robi D
05-01-2008, 13:43
Good game Shabba. You did well with all that sand, maybe if killercane had been nicer you would have had more of a chance at the win

Matrix
05-01-2008, 15:41
The floodplains were an error, but probably a good thing all the same. Beam put a river in there which isn't there in reality, so I removed it, but apparently the desert tiles stayed flood plains. Since in the new game not Arabia but Egypt is playing (I thought) I removed those flood plains, but I believe they're still there anyway. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

Concerning this game: it appears I got the most out of my situation with my civ-talent. [rolleyes] Having all but grassland my income was crap and I was just too far behind in techs throughout the game, so all I could do is stay at peace with all of you, and push my borders to the limit without angering you too much. I know attacking Mali was "Very. Very. Lame." but it the only possibility for me to have any action. [tongue]

Shabbaman
05-01-2008, 15:48
I could have waltzed over you if I wanted, especially when I just finished off Mali. Let alone when I had tanks. But since that wouldn't be of any use that late in the game I didn't do it. When I had my troops in Mali I didn't want your cities because I expected Beam to invade Africa. At a certain point I thought he got canons, and I saw a peak in his power graph. Some turns later I found that it was Akots who had the canons, not Beam.