PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Sword

Socrates
28-03-2007, 20:46
... is the new Civ4 XP pack !

Apparently you Dutch guys will be able to play as yourselves once again. :) For once they expand on the late game mainly. Tis just a curiosity for me, as I'm not buying any more Windows game. :D

Check your usual "other site" for more information.

Pastorius
28-03-2007, 21:00
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=16

grahamiam
28-03-2007, 21:34
According to Trip, you won't need Warlords to buy this expansion, which is nice because I never got around to it.

IglooDude
28-03-2007, 23:51
Looks awesome.

Too bad it's "Launching July 2007"

Beam
29-03-2007, 00:07
Coffeeshop as unique Dutch building and Legalisation as favorite civic? [lol]

Looks like a major rework. So I hope BtS compares to C3C as Warlords does to PTW.

Socrates
29-03-2007, 00:26
Sounds like there was more work done than for C3C : corporations, expanded tech race, expanded UN, expanded espionage all seem to be the result of re-working the game in deep.

If only they could port it to Linux... [tongue]

socralynnek
29-03-2007, 02:27
The quote was: BtS doesn't need Warlords to run, only CivIV is needed.

So I am not sure whether we have the content (civs etc.) there too. Maybe only the gameplay like Vassals, or maybe even not that.

I don't own Warlords and I am still waiting for it to be cheaper...

Beorn
29-03-2007, 02:39
I'm not sure quite how deep the re-work was: religions are like corporations, new tech modules are just that, early espionage is just like the old one ... game play will change by much in some instances as it opens more options, like armies and the great leaders not rushing wonders in C3C vs PtW, and it visibly is a larger re-work than C3C was, but game expansions never impressed me.

grahamiam
29-03-2007, 03:23
Ok, here was the conversation. Not sure who Death Monkey is, but he is an employee at Firaxis, just not on CIV. Jon Shafer = Trip

quote:grahamiam
Are we going to need the Warlord's expansion to play this or are some of the features that are touted actually Warlords + Beyond the Sword (I mean in the same kind of way the Conquests expansion for Civ3 included Play the World stuff + new stuff)?

quote:DeathMonkey
You don't need Warlords to experience all the features of Beyond the Sword, but Warlords has Hannibal as a playable leader so you should get it anyways.

quote:ydejin
So does it basically include the Warlords game engine minus Warlords factions and scenarios? In other words, would a "Beyond the Sword" owner get Great Generals, triremes, and trebuchets. I suppose the most important question for me as a Warlords owner is, does "Warlords" play well with "Beyond the Sword", and I presume the answer is yes, correct?

quote:DeathMonkey
I need to talk to our marketing person (who is out today) before I can answer your first question, but the answer to the second question (does Warlords play well with Beyond the Sword) is "yes".

quote:Jon Shafer
Yes, gameplay features/elements that were in Warlords will be in BTS as well.

Pastorius
29-03-2007, 09:06
So all the people that bought WL are teh fucked (since once again the latest XP includes the stuff of the first XP)

Tubby Rower
29-03-2007, 12:30
[lol] I'm glad I'm a cheapskate then.... I should be able to squeeze this by me wife with all of the other purchase we'll be making over the next few months :D

Rik Meleet
29-03-2007, 13:54
I'll never own Warlords. I might buy BtS

IglooDude
29-03-2007, 14:05
I see that BtS includes Warlords units, concepts and such (trebuchets, great generals, etc) but does BtS include all the Warlords civs?

Matrix
29-03-2007, 14:47
Good title! :)

It looks promising. In any case it seems to have more to offer than Warlords.
But it really depends on the scenarios. If they are as crappy as the Warlords scenarios, it'll be a tough call whether it'll be worth the money.

grahamiam
29-03-2007, 14:47
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

I see that BtS includes Warlords units, concepts and such (trebuchets, great generals, etc) but does BtS include all the Warlords civs?
According to DeathMonkey, no. But I'm not sure how that would work if you wanted to play on BtS on Gamespy and someone wanted to play a Warlord leader.

Shabbaman
31-03-2007, 21:15
Sounds nice. So basically this makes warlords as obsolete as PTW? Heh.

BCLG100
31-03-2007, 21:34
pretty much, cept for some civs apparantly.

Furiey
31-03-2007, 21:40
Hmm, I wonder if I'll be able to see the menus in this one.

Warlords cured the floodplains in the fog and not recognising the CD issues for me but all the text disappeared as well making it totally unplayable.

Shabbaman
21-05-2007, 18:26
I just saw some new screenshots on IGN, and I noticed they are looking good. I'm playing at the highest settings, but it really doesn't look this good. Of course the screenshots could be rendered, but if they can render this, they could crank up the detail level ingame as well!

Obviously you need a better machine (as my OC'd E6420/Geforce 8600GTS will be, muahaha!).

mauer
21-06-2007, 00:37
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but this could definately change the game, and will definately make Theology much more important.

quote:Apostolic Palace

There is now a new way to win the game through the Apostolic Palace. It grants the player the ability to:

* Unlocked with Theology.
* The influence of the Palace is dependent on the acceptance of its religion throughout the world.
* Other civilizations that share that religion enjoy some significant production bonuses but can have diplomatic decisions forced on them by the currently elected head of the Palace.
* Can only be built in a city with the state religion.
* Tied to the state religion of the player who built it.
* Allows a religion to play a major part in international affairs, centuries before the UN makes its appearance.
* Depending on the influence of the palace's religion on their civilization, players get votes to cast on decrees like:
o holy wars
o trade embargos
o peace enforcement (basically say, don't go to war with me)
o assigning cities to their "rightful" owner
* Possible to win an early diplomatic victory
* Is rebuffed by Communism

Matrix
21-06-2007, 02:27
Just out of interest I've made an overview of the civs represented in all the different Civ-versions. I thought I might share it with you. :)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200762122230_Civs.gif
22.73KB

mauer
21-06-2007, 03:21
What about Call to Power? Wasn't that Civ as well, or just apolyton?

EDIT: Apolyton, sorry got mixed around for a minute. I meant activision. Was it not a Sid creation as well though is what I meant.

Shabbaman
21-06-2007, 08:12
quote:Originally posted by mauer

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but this could definately change the game, and will definately make Theology much more important.

There is now a new way to win the game through the Apostolic Palace. It grants the player the ability to:

* The influence of the Palace is dependent on the acceptance of its religion throughout the world.
* Other civilizations that share that religion enjoy some significant production bonuses but can have diplomatic decisions forced on them by the currently elected head of the Palace.
* Allows a religion to play a major part in international affairs, centuries before the UN makes its appearance.
* Depending on the influence of the palace's religion on their civilization, players get votes to cast on decrees like:
o holy wars
o trade embargos

Is it a big or small wonder?

Tubby Rower
21-06-2007, 12:22
any news on whether warlords is included with BtS?

Markstar
21-06-2007, 12:36
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

any news on whether warlords is included with BtS?
Yes, Warlords in included, except the scenarios.

mauer
21-06-2007, 21:37
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

quote:Originally posted by mauer

o holy wars
o trade embargos

Is it a big or small wonder?

Hmm, don't know. If you mean world or national then I'd imagine world wonder since only one can be built. Or is it one per religion? Don't think it's really clear on that. Either way, I definitely would like to give it a whirl and see how it plays out. Sounds pretty interesting to me.

Tubby Rower
21-06-2007, 21:56
I'll bw buying BtS when it comes out... So should we start a signup thread for a PtBs game? and who is hosting it?

mauer
21-06-2007, 22:03
I'll definately sign up for it. Think I'm gonna go ahead and pre order it. I mean heck, my wife can spend $200 a month on clothes and "accessories" I can spend a few Jefferson's for a game. *reminds everyone Tubby was too cheap to buy warlords*

IglooDude
21-06-2007, 22:05
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

I'll bw buying BtS when it comes out... So should we start a signup thread for a PtBs game? and who is hosting it?

I've currently got a free pitboss server, I'd be happy to run it as long as all agree to my DM rules (which are: either DM is completely allowed, or DM is allowed except when accompanied by war declaration).

Beam
21-06-2007, 22:09
ID, where can I find your DM rules?

IglooDude
21-06-2007, 22:15
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Ummm, right there? [confused]

I think a more detailed discussion is in the CDZ grouphug game thread, though.

mauer
21-06-2007, 22:17
Just ordered my copy from amazon.com, July 23 is the release...for those that don't know already.

Beam
21-06-2007, 22:21
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

quote:Originally posted by Beam

Ummm, right there? [confused]

I think a more detailed discussion is in the CDZ grouphug game thread, though.

That's 21 pages in the Open Thread! Where to start?

Tubby Rower
21-06-2007, 22:41
Beam , basically a DM (double move) is when you move just prior to a turn changeover then use up the next turn's movements as well. Various camps are ok with different situations.. but I agree either all DM's are allowed or, rules need to be written up to make things clear cut.

And I'm not cheap... I just realized that they'd come out with a 2nd expansion pack and didn't feel like wasting $25 on Warlords when everything that I'll play is included in BtS [:p]

Beam
21-06-2007, 22:51
Tubby, I know what a double move is. Just interested in what already has been discussed.

Tubby Rower
21-06-2007, 22:55
oh.. sorry. I think that it's somewhere around page 5 or 6.. .

Beam
21-06-2007, 23:15
Lots of funny talk on page 5 and 6 except for a discussion on double moves. :)

IglooDude
22-06-2007, 14:32
Now I can't remember what the rule is in the CDZ game. So I looked and found it in the CivIVor Warlords game, here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4954213&postcount=749

If that doesn't clear things up let me know.

mauer
23-06-2007, 02:02
Any of you seen the in game screenshots over at IGN? They're pretty neat. I'm getting pretty excited about this expansion, although it will just add more for me not to learn.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/896/896712/imgs_1.html

Shabbaman
23-06-2007, 12:09
It looks as if they FINALLY upped the diplomacy. Hopefully the AI knows how to handle it. I hope you can trigger those events in some way though. I don't really like "random" in civ. Galciv2 is nice, but some events are too powerful.

Furiey
23-06-2007, 15:13
Agreed, this is looking good, both diplomacy and espionage have been given a boost. I also hope the events are triggered by what the player does rather than being completely random. I suppose I shall have to but this in the hope I can play it properly.

Davo
25-06-2007, 15:30
I'm liking the look of BTS, think i'll be purchasing it on day of release or then abouts! I'd be up for playing a pitboss game as wellas soon as i've got it.

Matrix
25-06-2007, 16:46
Ey, Davo! I didn't know you're here. Welcome to CDZ! [goodjob]

Davo
25-06-2007, 16:52
Thanks! Haven't been on here much, signed up as i'm partenered with KillerCane in Civor 2 :)

Robboo
25-06-2007, 21:28
I would also want to play a pitboss in BtS

killercane
28-06-2007, 02:22
I dont think anyone has mentioned this yet:

"The changes are too numerous to list, but the result is that the AI plays more like an experienced human player would play, and therefore needs fewer bonuses in order to compete at a higher difficulty level. The AI has gotten considerably better at its previous major weakness, which was conducting military operations, especially naval invasions. It is even stronger at managing its economy, and it also knows how to use all the new features Firaxis has added. Automated units are now much improved and will listen to the city governor, i.e. if commerce is the focus the automated workers will focus on commerce improvements. The AI will try to win a cultural victory.

Cross-continental invasions have definitely improved. The AI coordinates sea & land units much better now. So it will use its navy intelligently while dropping off troops."

[lol][lol][lol]I'll believe it when I see it; isnt "AI will try to win a cultural victory" antithetical to it being smarter?

Matrix
22-08-2007, 13:11
Groningen is the 13th city of the Netherlands. [cry]

Beorn
22-08-2007, 14:31
quote:isnt "AI will try to win a cultural victory" antithetical to it being smarter?

[lol][lol]

IglooDude
22-08-2007, 16:24
By the way, I'm taking down the "test game" pitboss, with a mind to getting some traction on the tourney that I mentioned previously.

Matrix
04-09-2007, 19:14
I was playing the scenario Final Frontier when my wife asked me: "Don't you play Civilization anymore?" [lol]

BCLG100
04-09-2007, 20:05
anyone tried the arcade style game? 'defence'

its awesome! really addictive, all i've managed to get up to is level 15 so far them bloody psychic samurai keep absolutly crippling me, so if i somehow survive that level im normally fooked by the time the suiciders come along.