PDA

View Full Version : Considering starting a Pitboss

mauer
21-02-2007, 19:06
First off, I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I have two computers that can both run Civ 4, one better than the other. If I did do this, I'd probably need someone to explain as if I were a 5 year old, how to do this. Next week would probably be when I started trying to set it up, just posting here for feedback about possible demand for a game, and feedback on help setting it up.

IglooDude
21-02-2007, 19:18
quote:Originally posted by mauer

First off, I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I have two computers that can both run Civ 4, one better than the other. If I did do this, I'd probably need someone to explain as if I were a 5 year old, how to do this. Next week would probably be when I started trying to set it up, just posting here for feedback about possible demand for a game, and feedback on help setting it up.

I'd be happy to assist you in setting it up. I'd strongly caution against trying to get a custom start done, as the PBEM-to-pitboss conversion seems to result in substantial problems.

BCLG100
22-02-2007, 00:30
Could you not try just designing a custom map with different civs placed on it or is that just the same as having a custom pbem?

edit- id play too :) is there anyway we could all start with two settlers? just so things can be kind of interesting from the get go?

Beorn
22-02-2007, 00:39
By starting a pitboss, do you include finidng the opponents or is that booked already?

Robboo
22-02-2007, 01:25
I would be up for it if you get it going. :)

BCLG100
22-02-2007, 01:28
I think he means the whole mechanics behind it B, think that the roster is still open :)

mauer
22-02-2007, 01:52
Right BC, roster is still open. The only thing stopping the actual game play is whether or not my wee little brain can figure out how to set it up. ID has helped me out with a couple of questions already.
I've got a paper I'm working on that is vital, and I'm helping someone one move this weekend. That's the only reason I said next week. Not sure about the parameters of the game, and I've never really bothered much with custom starts so I'd need assistance with that should we decide to go that way. I pretty much just hit the easy buttons all of the time, and when something breaks I call my lovely :D

Edit: Oh, and I've not advertised this game anywhere else. So it's pretty much you CDZ guys.

Robi D
22-02-2007, 08:03
I'd be up for a game if you would have me ;)

Not that i know much about setting up a pitboss game but i do know having a static ip does help.

akots
22-02-2007, 08:24
I have actually managed to figure out why I could not start PB. Now, I can and it seems that launching a game with a scenario file is not that difficult and there is no need for conversion from a PBEM save. All needed is to figure out how to write a correct scenario.

Darkness
22-02-2007, 09:06
If you have a spot open, I'd like to play also... :)

Tubby Rower
22-02-2007, 12:35
I'd be interested as well. Mauer, do you have a roster??

mauer
22-02-2007, 22:19
I don't do custom maps, although I could try my best to load it should someone make one for it. I guess if someone wants to make the map, then you guys can start debating what you want, and what other settings you'd like.
So far I have:
BCLG [nowait]
Darkness [cool]
Myself [ggw2]
Robi [cookiem]
Robboo [assw]
Tubby[col]

Robboo
22-02-2007, 22:59
interesting....Should i be worried that you picked that smilie

mauer
22-02-2007, 23:17
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

interesting....Should i be worried that you picked that smilie

:D Nah, I'm still licking my wounds from that pummeling you gave me though.

mauer
23-02-2007, 23:25
Ok, I'd like to remind you all of the fact that I am a complete computer doofus. With that said, it was pointed out to me that for me to host a game on my other computer that it actually has to be connected to the internet [uglyham]. So, I ordered a router (hope I ordered the right thing, since I'm not sure what the difference between a router and hub is) and it should be here mid next week. You guys can still argue for settings, or I can just set it up on my own (if you trust me to [crazyeye]).

Robi D
26-02-2007, 07:18
I guess a good question is how many players is the maximum

Tubby Rower
26-02-2007, 12:47
I'm fine with randomness.

IglooDude
26-02-2007, 12:51
quote:Originally posted by Robi D

Eighteen is the 'normal' maximum, but you can adjust that upwards to 32 with a mod. I've found that I can't scroll down all the way on the setup screen (at least in vanilla) so I would suggest using 16 as a max for now.

mauer
26-02-2007, 23:23
I'm all ears fella's. Basically you guys duke it out, and I'll set it up. 32 would probably be a bit much for my tast though. I too am good with randomness though.

IglooDude
27-02-2007, 00:25
Random everything.

:D

And you might want to set up a test pitboss server, just to test things out beforehand...

BCLG100
27-02-2007, 01:43
what we doing about civs? first come first serve?

mauer
27-02-2007, 02:32
I ordered the router from Dell, and although they don't have a package tracker, the estimated date of delivery is Wed 2-28. That's my day off, so I'll try and get things up and running then if it's here. I would guess first come first serve on civs as well. I'm considering taking the Mongols or Arabs.

BCLG100
27-02-2007, 03:00
so you can officially have a mongoloid race???

Robi D
27-02-2007, 07:31
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

quote:Originally posted by Robi D

Eighteen is the 'normal' maximum, but you can adjust that upwards to 32 with a mod. I've found that I can't scroll down all the way on the setup screen (at least in vanilla) so I would suggest using 16 as a max for now.

I was thinking if we wanted to set a specific number of players like 8 or 10 or however many we can get.

Also the other thing is i'm going off for a holiday from 1/3 to 7/3 (which is 28/2 to 6/3 in the american time zone). So if you can't wait for me i'll have to pass on this one

socralynnek
27-02-2007, 12:21
As the machine should be tested and running pitboss should be tested, I guess it takes a few days til it's up and running...
Maybe I am interested too, depends on the settings.

Tubby Rower
27-02-2007, 13:06
I forgot to ask... is this warlords? if so I'll have to bow out.

IglooDude
27-02-2007, 15:29
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

I forgot to ask... is this warlords? if so I'll have to bow out.

Aw jeez... go buy Warlords, for pete's sake... [nowait]

Tubby Rower
27-02-2007, 15:37
yeah... I'm getting ready to move to a new house.. I can just hear the stuff flying by my head after I tell my wife, "Honey, I really need to buy this game so I can spend less time with you." Money is a little tight right now but should be better later once closing costs are behind us.

IglooDude
27-02-2007, 15:48
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

yeah... I'm getting ready to move to a new house.. I can just hear the stuff flying by my head after I tell my wife, "Honey, I really need to buy this game so I can spend less time with you." Money is a little tight right now but should be better later once closing costs are behind us.

[lol] Yeah, I suppose so. You need to go ogle guns or cars or something really expensive, then when you say "well, I could buy this game instead" she'll practically beg you to do so. [cheerl]

mauer
27-02-2007, 19:01
I was thinking 18 civs, first come first serve. sorry I hadn't mentioned it earlier but I was thinking warlords unless it would cause civil unrest.

BCLG100
27-02-2007, 19:02
we'll just whip the pop down, who knows, tubby might like it.

mauer
27-02-2007, 21:54
Bad news guys, Dell canceled my order because I entered the wrong address (the old one I just moved from) and it didn't match up with the card. Sooo...I'm going to Radio Shack tomorrow or tonight.

Anyways, is everyone good with random map, 18 civs, warlords, and noble/prince?

socralynnek
28-02-2007, 00:23
I don't have warlords. But I don't insist on being part of the game. It might be interesting to follow such a game when you can read all spoilers...

Robboo
28-02-2007, 01:21
warlords sounds good...

When you get set up let us know so we can test it out. I select my civ later...i just dont want korea or vikings...I played those before...want something new.

mauer
28-02-2007, 01:47
It's not sounding like a whole lot of people are gonna join if it's warlords. Should we make it Vanilla, or just spam it up (after we pick our civs) over at CFC?

Darkness
28-02-2007, 09:53

It's not sounding like a whole lot of people are gonna join if it's warlords. Should we make it Vanilla, or just spam it up (after we pick our civs) over at CFC?

Why not do a small map (small number of people) pitboss game at quick speed? That might be a lot of fun too. And the game would be faster...

Tubby Rower
28-02-2007, 12:37
I'm fine with not being in it either. I likely won't be around much and will struggle to make my turns, so it's probably good that I don't have warlords....yet. I'll get in on the next battle.

Robboo
28-02-2007, 12:48
either is OK with me. I just want another pitboss. PBEMs are just a bit slow

mauer
28-02-2007, 15:35
quote:Originally posted by Darkness
Why not do a small map (small number of people) pitboss game at quick speed? That might be a lot of fun too. And the game would be faster...

That sounds like a good plan, would 10 be ok? Speak now or forever hold your peace, cause I'm gonna try and get this up and running today.

mauer
28-02-2007, 15:44
Oh, and what should I name it?

Tubby Rower
28-02-2007, 15:47
Bob

mauer
28-02-2007, 15:50
What about Bob?

IglooDude
28-02-2007, 16:26
Is it too late to sign up, btw? I'm not sure if I officially had already, or not.

Name... Mauer's Sandbox? :)

Robboo
28-02-2007, 16:33
dead longhorns?
longhorns suck?
mauer will die first?
[assw]

All good names for a game.

socralynnek
28-02-2007, 17:28
mauer's wall?
Die Berliner Mauer?
Mauer Anfang?

(In German Mauer= wall and on top of that: mau = poor/meager, so the last one would mean: poor beginning but also something like the beginning of mauer...)

OK, enough puns for today...

Klammi
28-02-2007, 18:01
So I also like to official signup here for the game :)

mauer
28-02-2007, 19:15
Ok, so Rob and Soc don't want to play, anyone else bowing out by making fun of my heritage or my the Horns? JK, maybe in honor of LoSer U I'll name it fairyball.

Robboo
28-02-2007, 19:24
I beat you once...don't make me come beat you again. :)

mauer
28-02-2007, 19:37
Hey, I started the Pitboss, but the AI all finished their turn. Well, I'm assuming they did since they're score is 37 and the only "human" is 12. What did I do wrong?

Robboo
28-02-2007, 19:44
did you settle a city?
IF i remember right the AI moves after the humans so if you clicked enter it ended the turn and they all played theirs.

If you post the IP address someone can test it out for you to make sure external connectivity isnt a problem. I would do it but i am at work.

mauer
28-02-2007, 19:46
Well, I didn't actually join the game yet. Not sure how to get the IP. I told you all I'm a computer doofus. I ended that game already and gonna try and sort it out on another. I also PM'd ID to get his input on it.

EDIT: I'm about to start another game, but I don't see a setting to stop the AI from finishing their turn.

Robboo
28-02-2007, 19:59
hmmm.. ID can help you with the IP thing. One thing that you will have to find out is if you have a static IP address...again ID maybe able to help you with that. I can test play a turn on it after 430-5pm. it will only cost you a couple gallons of ice cream. ;)

mauer
28-02-2007, 20:12
ok, got the IP part, and ID said I should start all seats as Human. So I can start the game, but does that mean that if no one takes all the civs then the unclaimed ones will be wandering around without settling their cities because of the turn timer. I was gonna do 18, but that might be a problem if that's the case. So should I just go 12 then?

Rob, you forgot that I eat all I can and sell the rest. No ice cream for you! (Ice cream nazi)

IglooDude
28-02-2007, 20:42

ok, got the IP part, and ID said I should start all seats as Human. So I can start the game, but does that mean that if no one takes all the civs then the unclaimed ones will be wandering around without settling their cities because of the turn timer. I was gonna do 18, but that might be a problem if that's the case. So should I just go 12 then?

You can kick them to AI after the first turn (going back and forth between AI and human is pretty easy via pitboss), but it does mean that you have a half-dozen or so AI civs, which may or may not be desirable.

And you've adjusted your firewall to allow access to the pitboss server, right?

mauer
28-02-2007, 20:43
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

Is it too late to sign up, btw? I'm not sure if I officially had already, or not.

Name... Mauer's Sandbox? :)

heck yeah you can join. Seriously guys, tell me how many slots I should open....

mauer
28-02-2007, 20:44
quote:And you've adjusted your firewall to allow access to the pitboss server, right?

Hmm, if I manually have to do it...then no. How do I check?

IglooDude
28-02-2007, 20:57

quote:And you've adjusted your firewall to allow access to the pitboss server, right?

Hmm, if I manually have to do it...then no. How do I check?

First you need to log into your firewall. Usually that's opening a web browser and going to something like http://192.168.0.100/ and putting the login name and password in. Once you do that, here's a good summary of what needs doing:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3555154&postcount=30

mauer
28-02-2007, 22:20
well, I did that, but I still can't connect to the game. Pitboss is running on the other computer, I just can't get to it on this one. So, I'm at a loss, any more suggestions?

IglooDude
28-02-2007, 22:33

well, I did that, but I still can't connect to the game. Pitboss is running on the other computer, I just can't get to it on this one. So, I'm at a loss, any more suggestions?

The internal IP of the pitboss machine (i.e. the address you use to get into the game) is going to be different from the external IP (i.e. the address the rest of us use, that you found out via www.whatismyip.com).

mauer
28-02-2007, 23:41
Ok, I've got that one, and Simon tried it as well. It's just keeps saying "Connecting to Host". I went to www.whatismyip.com on both of my PC's and it came back the same number.

mauer
01-03-2007, 02:57
Guys, I've tried everything I know to do. Creating a static IP, forwarding ports, opening ports...it's all proving to be way beyond my ability. If I could get someone to walk me through it, understanding that I'm an idiot, then maybe I could get it up and running. Until then, I can't do it.