PDA

View Full Version : Wii coming to a Tubby near you.

Tubby Rower
08-02-2007, 15:08
When I had my recent vasectomy I attempted to get a video game console. Sherry convinced me that I would only play it a couple of days and then it would just sit there. I sort of saw her point, but I still want one.

I was looking at the different video game systems out there and the PS3 is freaking expensive. PS2 really doesn't do it for me. Xbox and Xbox 360 kept my attention, but I'd really like to play games with Ana and later Ethan. The GameCube is cheap and there are a lot of family style games, but then I saw the Nintendo Wii.

It has a wireless controller with motion sensor so if you are playing tennis you swing your arms like your holding a racket. If you are fighting someone in a game you move your arms around like you want your ingame character to. That is just way too cool. The Wii will also play all Gamecube games which is real nice since one game I want is Lego Star Wars Trilogy. I know this game is made for the rest of them, but one game doesn't justify the cost of a video game system.

Another thing that has me stuck on the Wii is the fact that it is more of a group play instead of being immersed in a single player game. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I intend to teach Ana and later Ethan how to play and hopefully Sherry might even get involved too... but that might be jsut wishful thinking.

Beorn
08-02-2007, 15:39
The wii has good potential for young kids and it involves a lot of moving around. While this can be a bit annoying for the parents at time, mind you, knowing your kids don't go all out couch-potato is worth it imho. I can't say I played it much, I barely did, but it was good fun. I hope they make more out of the motion sensor than hoola-hops game though, but it probably has a lot longer life potential than your ordinary console.

Tubby Rower
08-02-2007, 15:43
I saw someone play the legend of Zelda and apparently you could use the nunchuck attachment and one arm is your shield hand and the other is your sword. Also you move your hands like your really fishing in that part of the game. So there is nice potential especially in a Mortal Combat style game.

grahamiam
08-02-2007, 15:49
Nintendo is good for kids in general. My 6 yr old has a DS and it's great (the GBA went to his younger bro). We also have a PS2, which has a lot of kiddie games on it that aren't bad (we play LegoStar Wars 2 right now, also Backyard Baseball and some others), but I think the Wii would be better for the next 2-4 years than a PS2. I've heard that it looks terrible on an HDTV, so using an older TV is just fine for it. PS3/360 are for 15-30 yr old males, it seems, just based on the games. Not good for kiddies.

Tubby Rower
08-02-2007, 16:05
PS3 and 360 have HD outputs..and as far as I know, they are the only 2. From what I understand any standard def would look sort of crappy on a HD monitor.

Shabbaman
08-02-2007, 17:08
I have a DS lite and a PSP, works for me. Wii looks horrible, it doesn't appeal to me. I don't really like dexterity games either, so the whole concept of the wiimote is lost on me. I seriously doubt your little kids will be any good at it btw. Kids are not known for their superior hand/eye coordination (unless they're slinging dong).

Anyway, PS2 and gamecube are probably best worth their money unless you're a hardcore gamer. The wii is marginally better than the gamecube, so it's the wiimote that will have to do it for you. Try it in the store, let your wife/kids try it in the store, and see if it is something for you. From my sister I heard that it's great when you're drunk.

But while we're on the subject of being drunk, both the ps2 and the GC have some nice peripherals that are almost as good as the wiimote. You know, for games like guitar hero or dance dance revolution [dance]

Tubby Rower
08-02-2007, 18:31
Yeah I suspect that Ana will have a big learning curve (as likely will I). But I think that she'll be able to get it. It took her a few tries before she could get the hang of using a computer mouse, so I suspect that she'll get it but it might take a while.

The dexterity part of it is something that I do pretty good. I really feel bad for my brother if he ever plays it. It took him years to not turn controls on previous games when trying to get a little extra movement. And now with the Wii, it'll be virtually necessary.

Tubby Rower
08-02-2007, 20:09
I found this site on google... http://www.wiidamage.com/ I'm assuming that the original straps have all been replaced and this shouldn't happen anymore if used correctly, but it's good to know what some of the damage could be if you don't use the straps on the Wiimote

admiral kutzov
11-02-2007, 04:05
kc, you've got to buy all three. i read somewhere that there are professional leagues for MP and that the players have contracts and groupies.

Beorn
11-02-2007, 04:57
It is all over the place on korean TV

BCLG100
11-02-2007, 14:40
The Wii is a good choice if you want to play it as groups of people, dont fall into what the adverts make you believe, it involves as much moving around as you want it too. Dont forget tubby that in adition to whatever games you buy you get a disc (in the UK at least) which has about 20 different sub games on.

grahamiam
11-02-2007, 15:48
My sister just bought one for her kid. We'll be playing it this coming Saturday (17th) so I'll let you know. One thing about Gamecube games is that they are compatible with the Wii. So perhaps you get that one for cheap + a few games to see how the kiddies like it. Then go for a Wii in a year or 2.

socralynnek
11-02-2007, 16:08
I played one game at a Wii in a shop testing that Tennis match.
I think it's a nice console for the casual player or for guests cause it's easy to play. Maybe there will be more complex games, but it is nice that there are games where you don't need to control 10 buttons or so like on other consoles.
So it might be suitable for the whole family...

Tubby Rower
12-02-2007, 13:19
Well I managed to catch Best Buy wit a few in on Friday and we played it over the weekend. Ana did struggle a bit with moving it fast enough to register with the motion sensors. But to my surprise, Sherry really liked it. She went off on the boxing match. I have noticed that your movements could be quite confined and there is no need to move in a complete motion (ie. swinging a bat in baseball could be done with one hand) In bowling however, it doesn't feel natural to just go through the arm motions and actually taking a couple of steps makes the motions feel more natural.

I'm still trying to figure out my first game purchase. I really want Zelda as nintendo has developed that game well in the past carnations of that game. but at the same time, I'd like to get one of the "party" games.

Anyhoo... my wii code is 8312 8910 9560 5088. If anyone has one, let me know and our Mii's could mingle together.

barbu1977
19-02-2007, 05:53
I gave the Wii a try last night as well as the PS3.

I must say I'm peased by the way the Wimote works and how natural it is to handle (Played Wii sports and Rayman) Those are party games, but I think that given into the right software developer, you're going to have real nice titles with this thing.

I also tried the PS3 with the 6 axis control. The graphics are cool, but the car game I played was not very intuitive.

Finaly, I played Guitar Heroes 2 on the PS2. Although I stink at musical instruments, I realy liked the thing.

Tubby Rower
19-02-2007, 12:15
I'm really pleased with the Wii. The thing is that the more you play the more you realize that you have to do less and less of the motions. Just a flick of the wrist will suffice in most instances. I must say that boxing is actually the hardest. I'm planning on getting excite truck and/or Zelda in the next week or two.

grahamiam
19-02-2007, 15:24
I just played it on Saturday night and had a blast :) I only played bowling and golf, but it was very fun! My wife wasn't very impressed but my 6 yr old had a blast with bowling, baseball, tennis (all Wii sports), and Super Monkey Ball. I could see a wicked game of Wii doubles tennis going on if you had 4 controllers.

Tubby Rower
19-02-2007, 15:28
The problem with 4 controllers is space. I have to move to a corner of the room when I play Sherry. She flails about so much I just steer clear of her. She almost beat me the other night....my mom and dad are coming into town this weekend so I'll try to get a video made and upload it so show you guys what it's like

Tubby Rower
23-02-2007, 14:40
While cleaning up to show our house to our realtor, Sherry found some cash that I received for Christmas. I didn't have anything that I wanted at the time and completely forgot about it. So I had $50 to blow and went and got Zelda for the Wii. I haven't had much time to play it yet, but it seems as though it'll be nice.

the thumb-joystick on the nunchuck might have been better in the dominant hand instead of the other hand, but I guess if I'm slashing around the main wiimote to swing the sword the joystick might move inadvertently.

Shabbaman
23-02-2007, 17:11
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

She flails about so much I just steer clear of her. She almost beat me the other night....my mom and dad are coming into town this weekend so I'll try to get a video made and upload it so show you guys what it's like

Yeah! We want movies!

Tubby Rower
16-03-2007, 02:50
I've uploaded the videos to google video... the have to "process" it which probably includes scanning it for any copyrighted material since YouTube just got sued for copyright infringement

I'll post the link when it becomes available

Beorn
16-03-2007, 03:09
I just had a good run at the wii and was really eager to try the boxing game. I must say that the NES Mike Tyson Punch Out power glove http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove worked much better, and that was 18 years ago. Disappointed with this regard, but still had a great time.

Tubby Rower
16-03-2007, 11:10
here's the link

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1227691306852469815

Yeah... sometimes the punches don't work right. For instance body shots are a near impossibility for me. so I just pound them in the head ;)

Socrates
16-03-2007, 18:24
I tried the Wii last Friday, a friend came with it, and we played Wii Sports and Wii Play with 4 players total. The best game was the tennis game, and the worst was the boxing game. The bowling game is way too easy compared to reality (or else I have MUCH improved over the years ;) ) but it's still funny. Special mention to the fishing game (with graphics for 3-year old children), where my brother broke the record, whereas I was unable to get more than 2 fish. [blush]

ProPain
18-03-2007, 20:32
Mii owns a Wii as well and likes it a lot, as a result there's a corporate Wii as well now so we can all relax at work too.

Zelda: really good game
Wii Sports: tennis, bowling are fun. Don't like boxing so much. I'm a bowling pro (but only on the Wii, not IRL) so watch out!

Virtual Console rocks: dowloaded Galaga for €5 last week: OLD SCHOOL ROCKS!

Also own a GBC & GBA and probably I'll buy a DS as well anytime soon, so Nintendo handhelds kinda got me into Nintendo consoles. Even thinking about PS3 but that wont be anytime soon with a new baby around the corner, won't have time to play anyway.

Will look up my Wii number and post it as well.

Tubby Rower
20-06-2007, 19:26
ok a little update..

I jsut purchased a 42" LCD flat panel and mounted it on the wall. By the weekend, the entertainment center will be gone and the peripherals such as DVD player, VCR and of course the Wii will be on a shelf or something off of the ground. I'll likely put in a new receptacle higher up so that there are no cords anywhere within reach of Ethan's little digits.

I had a sound system in my old entertainment center, but the TV's speakers (while not being the best sound quality in the world) are sufficiently loud enough to not allow me to argue to keep the system there for sound amplification. I'll try to get a picture taken after everything is set.

Kingreno
20-06-2007, 20:27
The question is: Is a 42" LCD flat panel a suitable screen to play a PBEM turn on? [:p]

Tubby Rower
21-06-2007, 12:22
meh... we had a couple days of 2 turns a day. I'll play tonight. promise.

mauer
21-06-2007, 23:44
Can you hook a flat screen up to a PC? I need to get with it if you can, that way I don't have to watch TLC's "What not to wear" anymore!

Tubby Rower
22-06-2007, 01:26
yeah... I wouldn't hook one up to a plasma although most plasmas now have a RGB input. If you plan on having a computer hooked up to one, get an LCD. right now a 42" LCD from LG is $1350 from circuit city online.

mauer
22-06-2007, 01:32
We seriously need to upgrade. We've got a 52" projection TV that's been fading here lately. I'll have to drop hints, and make her think like it's her idea to buy one. That way I can hold it over her head that "She spent X amount on a TV", and all I did was order BTS!

Tubby Rower
22-06-2007, 12:27
well the room looks 50% bigger despite only re-gaining ~15% of the living room. The problem with taking up floor space is that you also need to keep in front of the TV clear to be able to put in DVD's and use the buttons on the TV when you inevitably lose the remote. with our set up we could literally have a chair sitting directly under the TV. Currently we just claimed that corner for the kids' toys.

Shabbaman
22-06-2007, 17:19
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

yeah... I wouldn't hook one up to a plasma although most plasmas now have a RGB input. If you plan on having a computer hooked up to one, get an LCD. right now a 42" LCD from LG is $1350 from circuit city online.

42"... you know, I just googled what a vasectomy exactly is, and 42" sounds like you're compensating for something ;)

Tubby Rower
22-06-2007, 17:21
no my penis is still the same size. it jsut no longer needs a hat... unlike my other head

Tubby Rower
07-08-2007, 12:48
I had some BestBuy bucks to spend so I got the new Mario Strikers game for the Wii. It turns out that you can play it across the WiFi connection. unfortunately according to the manual I can only play with N & S America. I played for an hour last night after the kids went to bed and it was pretty fun.

So here is my list of games:
Wii Sports (included)
Wii Play (got it for the extra remote)
Splinter Cell (used off of eBaY)
Zelda (hadn't really played it too much because I know it takes a lot of time)
Mario Strikers

Ironically the Wii Sports that came with the console is the game that has been played the most. I have rented Mario Party a couple of time and it gets boring pretty quick. So I'm glad that I haven't bought it.

mauer
11-08-2007, 00:33
I thought you barely had time for Civ!? Tubbs, I think you're a game whore.

grahamiam
11-08-2007, 02:43
This thread is useless without pictures ;)

BCLG100
11-08-2007, 03:17
pretty much everything is

Tubby Rower
11-08-2007, 15:32
hmm.. Its' a bit hard to play and take pictures. and yes... I am a game whore.

BCLG100
11-08-2007, 16:10
Decent gaming things would have a 'print screen' button ;)

grahamiam
12-08-2007, 00:32
And, as an inguneer, I'd think you'd be able to figure out that timer on the camera :)

Tubby Rower
12-08-2007, 01:11
yeah, yeah. but do you really want to see me swinging a remote?

BCLG100
12-08-2007, 01:28
more what was on the screen but either is good.

Tubby Rower
12-08-2007, 02:24
wii.nintendo.com should give you screenshots. It would be nice to somehow record it all onto something. screenshots really wouldn't show anything all too terribly interesting.

mauer
12-08-2007, 03:01
Just plug the vcr up and record while playing. It works, I've tried it with PS2's eye toy. Then you can convert the VHS into a digital video and upload it to youtube.......alternately you could just tell everyone to shut up and get a Wii of there own. I vote for option 3

mauer
19-09-2007, 01:59
Didn't know where to post this, but figured you'd appreciate it Tubbs.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2423549

Shabbaman
04-04-2008, 14:55
Did you see the commercial for the new Mario Kart? Looks pretty good!

Tubby Rower
04-04-2008, 16:01
I just saw the other day that they were coming out with it... haven't seen the commercial yet.

currently, Lego Star Wars is my favorite. I do want to get the Lego Indiana Jones game when it comes out and also need to get Super Mario Galaxy

Shabbaman
04-04-2008, 16:05
I have star wars on the PSP, it's a lot of fun. Personally I dislike mario, but the game gets good scores. If you like star wars, SW: the force unleashed is to be released in september. It should feature real weeeeemote control over lightsabers. You know, real swordfighting instead of waving the thing around.

barbu1977
04-04-2008, 16:24
I did play a couple hours on super mario galaxy. It realy is a fun game.

It reminded me Super Mario 3 when it came out, lots of things you had not seen before.

grahamiam
05-04-2008, 02:42
My kids have Mario Kart for thier DS. Nice thing about it is that it's a "download and play" game, meaning you only need 1 copy of the game and you can have up to 7 other people join you in a race. He has another game like that where you can play about 40 classic games like checkers and chess.

They also have Lego Star Wars (for the DS and PS2). Not sure which is better, as my oldest is really smitten with Star Wars right now so he would play anything related to that. He did finish the PS2 version about 3 times between Sept and Christmas, before getting the DS version.

Whomp
19-04-2008, 00:44
I just wanted to post in here even though I have no idea what you guys are talking about so I could say "sup" to Tubalieya Ding Dong. Sup.

Tubby Rower
21-04-2008, 12:54
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

They also have Lego Star Wars (for the DS and PS2). Not sure which is better, as my oldest is really smitten with Star Wars right now so he would play anything related to that. He did finish the PS2 version about 3 times between Sept and Christmas, before getting the DS version.
Just make sure you get the complete saga not just the original trilogy. That way you can have the personalities from the first three movies as well as the original trilogy. I just saw on best buy the other day that in September they'll have a Lego Batman game coming out. And in June I think, Lego Indiana Jones is scheduled to be released iirc.

Tubby Rower
21-04-2008, 12:58
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

I just wanted to post in here even though I have no idea what you guys are talking about so I could say "sup" to Tubalieya Ding Dong. Sup.
Not much. Just don't donate huge chunks of time to civ anymore. I basically go to work, go to the gym, go home and play & read books with the kids, go to sleep, repeat. The good life.

How have you been? Saving the world as Super Cow?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/tubby rower/2008421125853_supercow.jpg
8.14KB

Mistfit
21-04-2008, 23:46
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

My kids have Mario Kart for thier DS. Nice thing about it is that it's a "download and play" game, meaning you only need 1 copy of the game and you can have up to 7 other people join you in a race. He has another game like that where you can play about 40 classic games like checkers and chess.

funny my 7 yr old is in that same stage.. you think it is because we loved the movie so much it rubbed off on them?

Whomp
22-04-2008, 00:47
All's good Tubs. Juicy goes in the water Saturday, the White Sox are in first and I need a spreadsheet to manage the girls I'm dating. Kinda fun...