PDA

View Full Version : Col V Killer - not for Killer

col
12-03-2003, 21:22
[B)]

col
14-03-2003, 10:49
Steady start - will post pix tonight. I've discovered most of the other civs now and just bankrupted myself with a round of trading. Up to date with all Ai tech - and oh dear - those barbs only stole 5gp from my good hut city on the other side of the world....

col
15-03-2003, 19:25
http://www.btinternet.com/~colinf/civstuff/colkillerminimap.jpg

The minimap

col
15-03-2003, 19:28
http://www.btinternet.com/~colinf/civstuff/colkiller.jpg

My main site - there is a gopody bonus in the far east .

Lost two settlers in their home cities when barb warriors defeated my spearmen. I'd be in a good position now without that - but maybe Killer has had barb trouble too. Just wiped out a nest to north of Washington

col
05-04-2003, 17:14
Well I tried a sneak attack with an elite archer v a regular spearman in Killer's capital! According to civulator the odds were 66% on a victory. It would have been just about game over if I'd succeeded but you may guess from my tone that Killer was saved by the RNG.

:(

anarres
05-04-2003, 17:52
Well, you've certainly got guts!

Commiserations on your failed rush :(

ERIKK
07-04-2003, 08:39
Never trust Col! ;)

he he he!

col
07-04-2003, 09:33
Trust? We had no agreement!

I think I was a bit unlucky. Grabbing the capital so early would have been an easy win - and putting all the factors into a combat calculator indicated that it was 2 to 1 in favour of winning then and there.

ERIKK
07-04-2003, 09:45
I know! But what if you had an agreement....

You would be tempted...

WildFire
07-04-2003, 12:41
"Trust? We had no agreement"

Obviously that doesnt seem to matter with you anyway...

col
07-04-2003, 12:41
Purely hypothetically - I can resist anything (except temptation).

Having got an elite archer from a couple of passing barbarians, it occurred to me that there might well be a city defended by a warrior or maybe a regular spearmen. Now usually I reckon an elite archer has a pretty good chance of success, particularly with a city of size 1 or 2 with no walls or river crossings. Being expansionist gives you a big advantage in an early rush. I knew I could approach Washington largely unobserved and have a reasonable chance if I could get there quickly.

I doubt if it ever occurred to Killer to seek an agreement. Players get used to a build phase. In online MP, early rushes are usually the way to go. Ask Dave Mc - one of the acknowledged masters of the method.

I thought it was a good plan taking advantage of the only good break I got from the barbs who killed THREE of my settlers!!

Too bad it didnt work.

col
07-04-2003, 12:45
quote:Originally posted by WildFire444

"Trust? We had no agreement"

Obviously that doesnt seem to matter with you anyway...

Bah - in an Occ game, the basic rule is to defend yourself at all times. If one loss can take you out of the game then you must ask yourself, why you allowed it to happen.

Besides, I had an agreement with others to take you out early if I had the opportunity ....

WildFire
07-04-2003, 13:02
Yes, but we had an agreement to be allies...

Why it happened? I settled a turn later for more profitable land, never had a chance to mine a bonus grassland either. Plus, I wanted to be on the coast because I knew hardly anyone else would be. Too bad, if you wanted to kill me, I could've traded my techs to the other people for free.

col
17-06-2003, 12:57
Another update - and yes its another sneak attack. Killer survived a persian attack - we are all very close together on a smallish continent. Now the Egyptiand and MOngols have declared war on him. Nothing to do with me either. I can see the Egyptian stack moving west towrds Killer so its dogpile time. I wait a couple of turns for him to move some forces to meet the Egpytians then hit him from behind with 5 horsies. I grab a couple of workers and erase one city and reduce another to a single warrior. If I can hit him hard enough he wont be able to recover from this. I'm not expecting a knockout just to weaken him enough for the AI to hurt him and me to be able to produce faster. If he's fighting three civs at once, I should make some headway. Ever the opportunist ;)

Pix to follow.

col
11-12-2003, 15:32
Closing update.

Killer blew all his cash on multi MAs v me. Unfortunately he pain more than me.

I got hit by Killer + 3 AIs and despite a gallant rearguard action, got smeared.

Very boodthirsty game that could have gone either way. We were both in trouble several times during the game.

Col v Killer 2 coming to a forum near you very soon.