PDA

View Full Version : Standard for war declarations?

IglooDude
22-12-2006, 13:00
Being pretty much a n00b to multiplayer and playing the first couple games with a bunch of other n00bs, I've thought war declarations were just like singleplayer - you hold down alt, click the target civ, and commence virtual bloodshed. An offhand comment in a different thread about notice for declaring war makes me think that I've missed something, and I want to make sure I'm playing by the same rules (even if unspoken) as everyone else here.

Do you PM someone or post in the relevant game thread if you're declaring war on them, and how much time between letting them know and actually attacking? Does it matter if you make your first attacking move at the beginning or the end of the turn? And is "no double-moves" the default if unspecified, or the opposite?

Tubby Rower
22-12-2006, 13:48
Notice is only out of the kindness of your heart but allows the other player a chance to adjust troops. I never give notice unless there is a treaty or something that I've agreed to that governs such actions. People that are whining about notice of war declarations have their heads up their well.. .this picture explains it well

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/20061116131229_first_democrat.png

As far as double moves are concerned... Here is my stance on them... they suck. I don't ever intentionally make two moves back to back to gain an advantage. If I'm at war with someone, I'll generally make my turns as normal. If it so happens that I end the turn (and it's never happened), I'll make one turn and wait a while. I feel a couple hours is sufficient amount of time for someone to log in and play. I realize that those couple of hours might not fit into their schedule, but I'm not going to modify my schedule to wait on them to play.

So to sum up.... no intentional double turns, if I end the turn, wait a couple of hours if at war before making 2nd turn, thousand points of light, stay the course.

BCLG100
22-12-2006, 14:13
I still like to give some notice these days in the thread that i have declared war on someone else-otherwise they may think its a regular 'ol turn and not log in to the game that turn (they were really busy and if they hadnt of known wouldnt log in) etc etc

however my notice doesnt extend for hours, i either do it a few minutes before i log into the game or a few after :) generally in the game thread.

But it doesnt especially matter which you do ID- no-one (on cdz anyways) will take it personally as long as your sticking to the established rules

Tubby Rower
22-12-2006, 14:30
oh yeah.. notice after should be done... but giving a few turns warning is just flat out silly.

Robboo
22-12-2006, 15:01
I agree with BC and Tubby...only way I warn any one is if i have that as part of the deal. I did not warn Tubby and I dont think holds it against me.

Tubby Rower
22-12-2006, 15:25
but of course I do Rob... [:P]

Robboo
22-12-2006, 15:55
I took you out in one game....dont make me do it again.