Continents max land
Standard
Normal temperate old flat
6 random AIs

Skyfish : Chinese
CB : Koreans

Skyfish
06-06-2003, 22:00
This game has been quite difficult I made a high number of mistakes right in the beginning :
- I moved the settler to a place where I might not have access to fresh water, I still don't know if that is the case or not. However the +5fpt was too much of a temptation.
- I messed up with the movement of my worker in the beginning (i.e to get the cow irrigated), all in all I lost probably 5 turns because of bad planning
- I messed up early exploration by missing totally the Celts.
- My capital rioted 3 times, I can t even remember the last time this happened.

It might sound not too much but vs CB there is just NO mistake allowed, I am pretty sure I am already way behind.

All this really stems from my inexperience at PBEM : when in SP or SG the only thing I do is play Civ and I keep my concentration, playing in batches of 10 turns.
However in PBEM you play one turn, wait, chat, send emails, go serve yourself a glass of whisky, chat, be obnoxious on MSN, play another turn of a totally different PBEM, chat and get the turns with an email "Get a grip Sky you just send me the wrong file for the second time in row !" [blush]

I have had to get used to this way of playing and it has impacted the quality of my game, I am not yet at a stage of experience where most moves come naturally like CB. I f I dont concentrate well enough I make stupid mistakes.

Skyfish
06-06-2003, 22:43
The most dramatic feature of this game however is the fact I am stuck on a continent with 2 other AIs. The Celts are so crap they look like chieftain level AI and the Babvs are pretty powerful but since they are the only one to research at monopoly price our continent is desperately backwards.

I can not imagine how much in front CB must be PLUS the one advantage I counted on was getting to Map Making early and hopefully be the first one to find the other continent.
Well I can forget that now as techs are crawling. We're in -1400bc and the AIs are up only HBR and Alphabet (they probably have Writing as well).
So it's back to the good ol' pointy stick. I ahve quite a lot of space though and I am still heavily in expansion phase with a little preparation for a massive sword upgrade with a min science gamble running on Poly due in 17.

I am still up in score over CB which shows how much it does not mean anything :)
Knowing his tactics I am sure he went for a granary on the capital with a 4 turn rotation going from size 7 to size 5 and I am going from 5 to 3 in 5 turns. Or he got a real bad start but the maps being balanced I dont believe it too much...
Feel free to tell me if I am wrong by posting in this thread :)

Here is a view of my empire in 1400bc it does not fit into a single screen so here is the East side :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200366214150_CB-1400east.jpg
103.62*KB

And the West side, I needed to stretch a little (too much) in order to pcik up the only Iron source, i almost got beaten to it by the babs as you can see :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20036621432_CB-1400west.jpg
131.51*KB

Skyfish
06-06-2003, 23:23
I got 2 settler factories as there is still a lot of open spaces, these are good productive lands.
The rest of the cities are building rax and warriors for the sword rush. I'll play pointy stick as I do not really need the land and I also want to get a leader for an FP of course.

Skyfish
09-06-2003, 18:25
-1000bc has passed and I am almost ready to go to war...actually on the verge of it :)

Made good trades when Polytheism came just 2 turns ago :
- all know techs except Math (admitedly the tech level was very low...), the only good one was Map Making :(
- World map
- Embassies with Arabia and Celts who will be my allies vs the Babs, my next victim. I will use them as pointy stick victim only and I also need to tone them down as they are powerful, actually the most powerful civ of all according to Histograph.
- 450 gold ! I was lucky the babs were very rich ! On top of that the min science netted me 450g as well so I splashed on some embassies, after upgrades I still have some cash as you can see below : that will be for the chariots upgrade.

Here are my forces atm :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200369171624_CB-WarPrep.jpg
45.76*KB

And here is my empire, quite some change in 400 years :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20036917249_CB-full900bc.jpg
135.65*KB

Skyfish
09-06-2003, 18:38
Notice my personal pride : to be ahead in score of the Master Dairy Farmer ! :D

Quite unbelievable really... [confused]

digger760
10-06-2003, 10:36
wow..is that a chariot up in the far corner...i have never built a chariot.

Skyfish
10-06-2003, 11:15
Digger, chariots are great to build........for the sole purpose of upgrading to Horsemen !
Early on Chariots are cheap in terms of shields to produce and if you have the money to then upgrade them, they are great to build.
It allows you to keep on expanding, whipping infra and still build mil units out of small cities.
Like any mass upgrades, it's borderline exploitative :)

Thanks a lot for dropping by and leaving a line !

Skyfish
18-06-2003, 21:09
Major breakthrough in this game : my galley followed "the trail of whales" as Dr A. had 'spoiled' on the Map Making request and ...found the Vikings !
Glad its not CB because he has been unwilling to do any trades, or even talk to me really...
I have not done any trades and I hope that the vikes will sell my contact around so next turn I can do some bartering without having to pay for contacts.
Of course this could turn against me if another civ makes contact next turn with the other continent but the risk is low and I am desperate anyway so I will take it...
It was huge self control not to bankrupt myself buying WM just to see where CB's at :)

ERIKK
18-06-2003, 21:27
[hmm] be sure you put a pic in the thread when you can't control yourself any longer...

;)

Skyfish
20-06-2003, 17:06
Terrible news [sad]
Yesterday CB sent me an email saying : "I'm blocking your email addresses. No time for this type of routine. Thanks anyway."
[confused]
I don't understand what happened ? Since it was an answer to an email where I was apologizing for being late and sending him the wrong save I guess it is because of the fact I was late in sending turns the last week.
Understandable when one just got a second son just born no ? I had warned all my opponents I would be sloppy...but i believe things are slowly moving back on track now.
Probably not fast enough for CB though, what a shame...
Since I can not send him emails and he has blocked me from MSN (I tried to contact him that way...), I left baffled at what really is going on.
Could it be a "psycho war" tactic that we were joking about 2 weeks ago ? Has he really abandonned the game ?
I am still very much confused.

WildFire
20-06-2003, 18:52
That really sucks. A bit irrational by him though.

Skyfish
22-06-2003, 00:20
I now understand better what's going on.
I have sent an email to CB apologizing for my ruthless behaviour and promising to play swiftly in the future.
Seems CB would like to play the game as an AW between the 2 of us, could be an interesting variant ...but not as for my first PBEM if I could choose. But it's up to CB no problem with whatever decision comes out.
I hope he does reconsider and we can go on with the game :(

Skyfish
30-06-2003, 13:30
The game is "on hold" at the moment. :(
Hopefully we can get back to it one day... :)

Cruise
01-07-2003, 10:05
He seriously blocked you? that's freaky

col
01-07-2003, 10:42
I just read the whole thread.
Comments

I too find pbem harder than any other form of Civ - i just cant get into a rhythm of playing one turn at a time. I make stupid mistakes too and let cities riot because I didnt check that they would grow that turn - things I do automatically when I'm playing a game over several turns. If there's a long time btween turns I foget my previous plans too and change direction too much.

As for CB - who knows. It seems pretty irrational to just drop a game even if it is lagging. Your recent events have been pretty widely publicised :goodjob: Maybe he has RL events happening too.

Skyfish
03-08-2003, 07:39
[band] Great news [band]

The game is back on track and CartoucheB is *PISSED* : its now an Always War game between us ! [devil]

[scared] I am going down in flames ! [fdevil]

This is gonna be a funny one for you guys to watch [lol]

Skyfish
03-08-2003, 07:56
So just before game was on hold, I hade met the Vikes : I have now got contacts with all civs in the world and a world map, I traded everything I could, leaving CB as the only one "in the dark".

Now take a look at this, I am toast already :D
CB's got 20 cities to my 13...He is dark blue and I am light blue [aargh]

I am busy beating up the Babylon red and he is beating purple Vikes, the Babs have Pyramids just 2 cities from my 12 swords, and I will upgrade 12 chariots to horse next turn.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20038365420_CB-fullworld.jpg
9.46KB