PDA

View Full Version : OK So maybe CivIV Warlords aint so bad

Melifluous
21-12-2006, 11:19
So I started a noble game as the Romans and beelined to Iron Working to get some Praetorians out nice and quick. With a stack of 10 I set to work on the local Mongols who get some serious ass-whuppin. Then I get one of them Military Dudes in my capital and he shares his love with a single Praetorian.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/melifluous/20061221111912_WarlordsRocks.jpg
11.76 KB

Morale [+1 Movement]
Combat III [+30% Strength]
City Raider I [+20% City Attack]
Leadership [+100% Experience from combat]

I'm starting to like this game.

[charge]

[meli]

Tubby Rower
21-12-2006, 12:38
which one is that little guy winking at you ?

Melifluous
21-12-2006, 12:52
Pretty sure that was the Morale one, like a little smiley face.

He's pretty damned good. Is there a limit to how much XP you can get on a single unit?

Also he will upgrade along the upgrade path keeping his XP as he goes. He should go far unless I get him killed.

[meli]

Robi D
21-12-2006, 13:14
I've seen screenshots of units with XP's over 100, so i guess the only limit is how long the unit survives or the game ends

BCLG100
21-12-2006, 14:25
theres no limit to the amount of exp needed.

remember city raider is one of the best upgrade paths as a grenadier with 3 city raiders is truly awesome :)

Melifluous
21-12-2006, 15:00
It looks like Praetorians upgrade all the way to Machanized Infantry :)

[meli]

col
21-12-2006, 16:25
Dont forget to download Blake's Improved AI. It makes a real difference and a much tougher game - even with praetorians

Matrix
21-12-2006, 16:31
Col, that's implemented in the last patch. ;)

Melifluous
21-12-2006, 17:24
Only playing on Noble btw. And pretty sure the Greek are gonna stab me in the back if I over extend.

I just wish the game played quicker. Why is there always a slight delay between the end of your turn and the flashing bit which says Press Enter to End Turn? I always find myself hitting Enter four or five times before the turn actually finishes :(

[meli]

BCLG100
21-12-2006, 18:18
better than the 5/10 minutes i get while the AI moves :)

Melifluous
21-12-2006, 18:21
But you know what I mean. In Civ 3 your turn finished and then you pressed Enter straight away.

In civ 4 it seems to have a little think about it and then decide that yes, you were right, you have finished. Maybe I should try playing without the 'wait at end of turn' option enabled... [shudder]

[meli]

BCLG100
21-12-2006, 18:26
i tried that and its hell...

akots
21-12-2006, 18:31
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Not all of the features, only three.

I would not say that Blake's AI is better, it is somewhat better on lower difficulty levels but on Emperor and up it is essentially the same with a few minor tweaks.

akots
21-12-2006, 18:38
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous
In civ 4 it seems to have a little think about it and then decide that yes, you were right, you have finished. Maybe I should try playing without the 'wait at end of turn' option enabled...

It is recalculating everything again for the 100th time. Actually, the engine is recalculating all parameters (including gold and beakers and maintenance costs and all trade routes etc.) after each and every move you make. That explains part of the delay. Also, lots of graphics are redrawn from scratch again after every move. In some of previous unpatched versions iirc the game redrew all tiles and units almost after every move even those which are hidden in the fog of war. Now it is slightly faster but there are glitches now with saving and there are still some occasional memory leaks.

I've tried after the patch the barbarian mod on monarch and medium setting of difficulty on small pangea map at normal speed. Actually, AIs already had longbowmen when I started (about 900BC). And the game did not last that long, my modest army was killed in about 10 turns by combined forces of 3 AIs and I managed to raze only 2 cities. [eek]

Melifluous
22-12-2006, 11:02
Nice!

My poor dude got killed in an ill-advised solo attack on a city defended by bloody archers.

Still the game has moved on, I'm top in score and just about to upgrade around 50 cavalry to gunships [fdevil]

[meli]

Darkness
22-12-2006, 11:36

Still the game has moved on, I'm top in score and just about to upgrade around 50 cavalry to gunships [fdevil]

[meli]

Nice. But keep in mind that gunships can't capture cities, so you'll need at least some other units to clean up after the gunships...

BCLG100
22-12-2006, 14:10
so upgrade about 40 of em :) or build tanks

and remember in civ4 cats/cannons/arty/etc anything that can bombard is very much your friend :)

Melifluous
22-12-2006, 15:51
Yeah I was planning on leaving 5-10 cavs, I also have a nice stack of cannons.

[meli]

col
22-12-2006, 20:36
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

No - Blake's AI has moved on a lot since then. Latest came out yesterday!

digger760
15-02-2007, 14:47
I just got warlords last week, Mels super Pretorian has been working at my brain to buy it for the last few months.

I picked the Mongols for my first game. I managed to get quite a few Keshiks up 20-30 exp, and spawned about 3 leaders but never manage to make much in roads in the Russians :( and now they have crossbows [cry]

I might give up and try the Romans, as i dont like the idea of the upgraded Keshiks finishing at cavalry.....that is if i get time to play again [cry]

Melifluous
15-02-2007, 17:17
Upgraded Keshiks -> knights -> cavalry -> gunships :)

Get a load of cata/trebuchet/cannon and some grenadier/riflemen with you and then see how his crossbows hold up.

But yes Warlords is keeping me happier now, although I tend to get distracted by trying to build everything in every city :(

Maybe I should _just_ concentrate on war...

[meli]

akots
15-02-2007, 17:58
quote:Originally posted by digger760
I might give up and try the Romans, as i dont like the idea of the upgraded Keshiks finishing at cavalry.....that is if i get time to play again [cry]

If you play a standard size map on normal speed, you've got to do that, there is no other way unless you build (pop-rush, chop) only units and start your wars really very early. But if you try epic and small map size, early conquest on pangea is a piece of cake up to Emperor level.

Also, up to Deity, one can usually finish conquest with cavalry on standard map size even with normal game speed unless there is a horrible start and horrible logistics.

BCLG100
15-02-2007, 18:01
Conquest can still be finished relativly early on emporer, be the incans and quecha rush the first too and then axe rush the remaining...

digger760
16-02-2007, 13:53

Upgraded Keshiks -> knights -> cavalry -> gunships :)
[meli]

hmmmmm gunships[cookiem] perhaps i might carry on after all.

As you can see my knowledge of this Civ4 game is rather slim, partly due to the awful navagation system of the civilopedia. And i can't be arsed looking up stuff in the manual

BCLG100
16-02-2007, 15:39
gunships are good however they can't capture cities so for that reason it is worth leaving a few cavalry behind to clear up the mess.

Socrates
16-02-2007, 16:53
quote:Originally posted by digger760

As you can see my knowledge of this Civ4 game is rather slim, partly due to the awful navagation system of the civilopedia. And i can't be arsed looking up stuff in the manual

The Civilopedia in Civ4 1.61 is rather OK, methinks.

Whomp
16-02-2007, 17:01
I don't know how I missed this thread but that picture of the super prat warms my warmongering cockles. I've been avoiding buying warlords but with the new pitboss game coming I need to buy the game this weekend.

Melifluous
22-02-2007, 12:51
Just managed my first ever domination win with the Aztecs on a small map on Warlord level.

Swordsmen (ok so they are only attack power 5 not 6) WITHOUT IRON. [fdevil]

Very satisfying. Had to stop half way through my 'slaughter the world policy' to make research some money making techs so I didn't go completely bankrupt!

Equalised score of around 48,000 I think, very fun :)

[meli]