Standard size
Warm, wet ........with no jungle starts
5 millions years
6 random AIs

Killer=Ottomans (again )
Skyfish=Chinese (again)

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 14:33
Ok this game is progressing nicely, the AIs are much weaker than expected.

I went for Pottery at max because I had no food bonuses in site, being Industrious I could chop some wood to get a granny in a reasonable time frame. Doing this allowed me to, at a later stage, to get loads of settlers and workers out of the capital as I went for a farmers' gambit (not a good idea vs Killer he ?).
I also sent 3 warriors exploring for early contacts, this was my best decision as you will see later.

Ultimately I only settled my 2nd city in 2550bc which is very late. Killer had 2 wines on grass which allowed him to jump start me, he did not even get a granny in his capital, I learned that when I opened an embassy with him, I had some money to waste... :) '
More on that later.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2003530144122_K2770.jpg
161.21KB

Farmer's gambit anyone ?

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 14:48
So my close neighbors are the Americans, good, they're always weak.
You can see the light blue border in the South after that wheat on floodplains (gotta love those!)

You can guess where my second city was established : on that lake of course but I went further and founded on the the grass square just after the 2 BGs. A grasscow with 2 BGs makes for a great early settler factory. :)

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 15:17
The picture got cut but oyu can see I am going for a Polytheism gamble, I love those. After Pottery I got CB froma civ and then went max research to Mysticism and then Min Science on Poly. The picture above is from 2270bc and I am 3 turns from it ! So the Poly gambit will be almost certainly succesfull, there is only one Religious civ, Egypt and they seem to play an OCC.

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 15:30
Progressively met other civs : Egypt very backwards and Carthage below Americans, quite strong.

Then the major break came in 1830BC, I met France and a huge round of trading bought/sold contacts of everyone, got all known techs and money. The min science on Poly is paying well off and I even bought Embassies at one point in order not to get bullied, had 500g at one point [eek].
Techs : Iron Working, Writing, the Wheel, Masonty.

I am at this point up IW and Mysticism up on Killer M.

The AIs have HBR but I do not want it yet, I have a little plan...see next shot to understand why

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 15:32
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200353016225_K1500.jpg
163.51KB

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 15:41
Anything wrong in this picture ?
[eek]
[eek]
[eek]

Yep, no Iron ! Haven't had this in a long time...hum....

Look at this Iron in a mountain within those American borders...what should I do about that I wonder? :)

As you can see on the screen, I am now only 9 turns from Poly, it's 1500BC and no other civ has got a new tech yet ! Only America and France have HBR and that's it... The AIs are weak and my great gamble might not turn anything back in return actually, with my luck they r following me down the Poly path which would be very surprising since not even Map Making has been discoverd...

The plan of course is to build chariots upgrade to horsies and take Washington with this Iron and Gems :D
As you can see I am developping nicely now and have almost no mil units, a calculated risk since Killer is on the other side of the large Pangea and both my neighbors are weak.

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 16:25
Looking at the score Killer is more than keeping up in development of course, but I ahve soem extremely productive sites out there, plus loads of open spaces still around.
I can buckle up, build up and wait for Riders.

What do you guys thinks ?

jack merchant
30-05-2003, 16:45
Go knock those Americans out ! You need iron for Riders anyway.....
From the looks of it you haven't got horses either though, but a solid amount of archers kan knock down most AIs a notch too.

Skyfish
30-05-2003, 22:31
Got Horses or else I would have thrown the towel already, they are on my future fishing village 2 tiles north of Canton.
Thanks for passing by !
TO ALL LURKERS : please leave a comment when you pass by :) even insults :D

ERIKK
30-05-2003, 23:06
just passing by!

looking good!

Just give us the game stats (diff etc)...

anarres
30-05-2003, 23:24
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

TO ALL LURKERS : please leave a comment when you pass by :) even insults :D
Screw you. ;)

jack merchant
06-06-2003, 23:08
Amen to that !

Skyfish
07-06-2003, 07:48
Thanks for the good words guys :(

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2003679119_Killer-1225bc.jpg
84.82*KB

My min science on Poly has come in & delivered a bit more than what I hoped for :
- Math
- CoL
- Philosophy
- Map Making
- Full World map
- 150g
All AIs are totally broke and I am the tech leader by 2 techs, I also have 430g in the bank. I could get HBR easy but did not go for it as I want to upgrade.

I can get it easy as 3 AIs are super weak and would die for any of my techs and they all have HBR.

I am still in infra push but most of my cities have barracks and almost half have granaries, in a few turns horses are connected and then it's [hammer] time !

Skyfish
08-06-2003, 23:12
Infra push is now finished, notice I have granaries everywhere now... :)
Horses hooked up its now Chariot churning time...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200368231140_Killer-1050bc-Infra.jpg
73.67KB

Skyfish
24-06-2003, 07:40
Due to the extremely slow pace of those Emperor AIs and that Killer is so far away, I concentrated on Infra a lot up to now. The AIs have no techs, no interesting wonders and are all very weak so an early war like I waged in my other PBEMs is of no use really.
Who would believe a game against Killer would turn out into a builders'game hu ? [lol]

Most of my Infra is finished for now I have rax and granary in all cities (or about to be finished). As you can see I am now in build up mode towards my Chariot-Horses-Rider path. I have no Iron so obviously... but the fast units will help me a lot on this stretched map [groucho]

Soon the Americans will suffer, I am also tempted to play a bit of Oscillating War, gotta love this tactic !

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200362473421_Killer-775bc.jpg
78.21KB

Building up some cash for upgrades, I have purposely not bought HBR in order to produce faster (a Sir Pleb tactic...). It's the only tech the AIs have up on me. Since I got Poly long before anyone else, I am confident my min science on Monarchy will produce.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200362473450_Killer-775bc2.jpg
11.03KB

Skyfish
24-06-2003, 07:50
And this is especially for Erikk :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200362474920_Killer-775bcF11.jpg
85.58KB

ERIKK
24-06-2003, 09:17
Thanks Sky, you are very looking good! [thumbsup]

edit:
Oh well, unable to get a reaction from Sky on my threadjack!
Never mind then... [tongue]

Skyfish
24-06-2003, 21:20
Oh I saw the threadjack Erik, you lose some, you win some you know... ;)

Turn 100 :
Things are brightening up : America is in Middle Age when they discovered Contruction and traded for Currency the next turn when Greece discovered it !

Its 570bc and I got 800 gold and I also
... beefed up my military check this :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2003624211853_Killer-Turn100.jpg
62.27KB

Skyfish
24-06-2003, 21:22
It's [hammer] [hammer] [hammer] [hammer] [hammer] time !

Skyfish
25-06-2003, 13:44
Look at this shot : it was the turn I declared war, took 3 cities including the capital in one turn, next turn I will take 2 more, America is reduced to jungle cities in 2 turns.
Will pick up another lux city and leader fish,then settler for all the techs needed for Middle Age.
On the downside, my min science gamble failed on Monarchy Egypt has it already. Also, Killer has captured the Pyramids, this will give him a major boost... :(

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2003625134340_Killer-America.jpg
144.56*KB

Skyfish
06-07-2003, 09:39
The Americans are now reduced to a few Jungle cities : I took peace for techs to jump me into the Middle Ages.
Killer killed the French, not before I bought loads of techs from them for gpt :D.
He also got a second GL with whom he rushed the FP in Paris :(, I still have no GL and no FP...this could be my downfall as our positions are very close : this game might be decided on a pure RNG roll [confused]

I am now inflicting some pain on Egypt for 2 reasons : I captured the Great Library in Thebes just to save some gold (it only got me 2 techs).
But more importantly I am reaching towards the Orange Killer lands, as I can not wait for Sipahis to get built...
We are just a few turns from Chivalry, I have more than 1K gold and this is the status of my army :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2003769387_Killer-130bc.jpg
67.62*KB

My goal is obvious [evil] check how I am 'reaching out' towards Killer... Now it 's just a race against the clock [tank]

ERIKK
06-07-2003, 11:09
Take that FP city asap! Go for it will all your 23 Riders!

Skyfish
16-07-2003, 11:48
The game is on hold at the moment as Killer is on holiday :(

Skyfish
19-09-2003, 07:45
After playing a few turns when Killer came back from holidays, he has conceded the game : the Rider Storm was starting to hurt him after I razed his FP and Pyramids in our first turn of war :D

It was a great game where I learned a lot, thanks to Lt. Killer M for helping out a noob (this was my first PBEM ever) get around the intricacies of PBEMs [goodjob]

Lt. Killer M
19-09-2003, 08:50
Sky, congrats!

The actual breaking point was when I accidently rushed a library instead of a Pike... you would have been able to attack a core town defended by warriors next turn....

btw, your lucky break was me sending off quite a few Knights to attack you in Egypt, but trying to come from the south towards Thebes... they were in position to kill your Riders next to my FP before you could attack - or so I thought. From there, it would have been a risk to send them east, but I was ready to take it.

Well, I had overlooked a river [wallbash]......... So I ended up with in the end 9 KNights that never made it to the fight...... :(

Skyfish
19-09-2003, 08:52
[eek]
9 knights ? shit...

Lt. Killer M
19-09-2003, 09:03
yep, 9 ELITE Knights waiting to pounce on your raid force unexpected from the south..... but the river meant it would have been the Riders attacking them.... I hoped you'd screw up and move forward slow enough to catch up, but it was rather clear you'd raze the city and let me kill the Riders instead of trying to kill the knights and getting nowhere..... The many fucking rivers in Francce meant that I couldn't move fast enough :(

Lt. Killer M
19-09-2003, 09:12
btw, round 2?????

Skyfish
19-09-2003, 09:46
Hmmm... I doubt you could get 9 Elite knights just 3 turns after learning Chivalry..but still..it would certainly have slowed me down ;)

Lt. Killer M
19-09-2003, 09:51
ouch, there you see how long it has been that I looked at the game....

they had been elite horsies before :( still, 9 vet Knights...