PDA

View Full Version : GPS question for ya

Robboo
08-12-2006, 18:10
Tubby..I remember your geocaching post and I have a question. Do you know the formula for converting lat/lon to UTM.

I have some GIS maps to make and instead of typing in 100 different numbers i am trying to find a formula i can use in excel to convert the data.

Tubby Rower
08-12-2006, 18:22
this website has a bunch of nerd type stuff on it. I think that there are some formulas in there.. I'll peruse it and translate it to human

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/UsefulData/UTMFormulas.HTM

Tubby Rower
08-12-2006, 18:24
there is a spreadsheet there at the bottom but you still have to type in some crap. I could try to make it easier to do a bunch if you need it.

Robboo
08-12-2006, 18:34
Thanks a bunch nerd boy...

I got about 50 to 100 site locations to type in so I will play with the spreadsheet and see what I can get. Ideally it would give me two columns of data after I put in my data.

I am trying to find an easy way of doing this so I can leave work early. :) and still finish this crap. Also I am basically making the mean annoying fat chick in my lab obsolete so she will not get renewed next year. I cant stand her and since I am permanent and not up to renewal, I can help here find here way out of " my "lab( It will be after she leaves). I have been teaching myself GIS(mapping software) and SAS( stats package) to help her become expendable. She is the type that has 6 months total of work experience but think she knows everything. She is also an Auburn fan so that hurts her in this lab.

Tubby Rower
08-12-2006, 19:47
so you are going from UTM to lat/long? or vice versa?

Also are you using NAD83 or WGS84?

ProPain
08-12-2006, 19:47
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

I am trying to find an easy way of doing this so I can leave work early. :) and still finish this crap. Also I am basically making the mean annoying fat chick in my lab obsolete so she will not get renewed next year.

A man with a mission I see :D

Robboo
08-12-2006, 20:00
lat/long..format DD MM.mmm WGS84 to UTM

I got distracted so I havent started it yet...had to move boats to the boat building due to the extreme cold we are having overnight.

Tubby Rower
08-12-2006, 20:07
holy crap... it's already done for you.. Look in the second tab of the excel spreadsheet for UTM to lat-long and the 3rd tab has lat-long to UTM.

Auburn women deleted [banned]

Tubby Rower
08-12-2006, 20:08
I can modify the spreadsheet so that you could input DD MM.mmm instead of DD.dddd unless you already know how to do that

Robboo
08-12-2006, 20:41
I had seen that and started playing with it...making sure it matched the site that i was told to use.

I think its simply divide or multiple by 60( will test first)....I havent had time. Things work like that here... get started on one thing then another thing pops up that needs doing now.

She is a typical Auburn woman...missing a tooth and chews tobacco...( joking)

Robboo
08-12-2006, 21:25
Owe you a beer Tubby...frigging done in 10 minutes and created fat chick's map data file. She is presently sitting there trying to find errors in it...stupid bitch.