PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need an idea for a surprise (gift)!

Matrix
29-11-2006, 01:51
For the non-Dutch people: Sinterklaas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas), or Saint Nicholas is similar to Santa Claus, but then the Dutch and Belgian (and partly German and Austrian) version. Wikipedia describes perfectly how adults celebrate Sinterklaas:
quote:After kids stop believing, families often continue to celebrate the holiday. Also secondary school classes and colleagues at work sometimes celebrate it together. (...) The people just pretend that they are real, although there are no believing children among them.

The poem and the wrapping, called 'surprise', usually become more important than the gift itself. There may be instructions about where the gift is hidden, the parcel may act strangely when handled, there may be several layers of wrapping, with syrup smeared in between and ultimately there may be no gift in the parcel at all. The possibilities are endless and preparations may start weeks (or months) in advance. But not to worry, there are always real gifts. (...) The poems may also be more like small pieces of art, often ridiculing things the receiver did in the past year. Since the poem is signed by 'Sinterklaas', the poems can be pleasantly sharp and things can be said which one would not usually say directly, even though it is usually clear who wrote the poem. The quality of such poetry varies strongly, from crooked rhymes to reasonably well written poems of several pages.
We always draw lots for who makes a surprise for whom. I drew my uncle...once again! [xx(] So I'm kinda hoping you might give me some inspiration.

He is a tax consultant (he studies tax law), 57 years old, has got quite some knowledge about whiskey's, loves Olivier Bommel and plays tennis. (A real VVD-type. ;)) I don't believe he ever got a surprise about him playing tennis (and being in the board of their tennis club), so that might be an idea. Perhaps it could be about their holiday in Rome. [dunno]

I was thinking about giving him some weird funny statutes for the tennis club with a clue in it on where to find his present, but that's not exactly my quality. My specialty is knocking something together (knutselen) with cardboard and stuff.

Rik Meleet
29-11-2006, 09:35
I wouldn't give a VVD-er anything. [:p]

romeothemonk
29-11-2006, 14:09
I have found that the best Christmas gifts are something fairly obvious. The trick is in the presentation. It is a tradition in our family to use a whole roll of Duct tape or packing tape to completely wrap a present. Watching them wrestle with the present is most of the fun.
If you do this, make sure that your box has fold in flaps to prevent a knife from cutting straight in, or put ketchup packets by the opening to simulate blood. This really freaks people out.

Energy
30-11-2006, 08:30
A big garbage bag filled with chocolate vla. Always does the trick!

Pastorius
30-11-2006, 09:49
http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/15yo/index.asp?expanded=15_year_old

Rik Meleet
30-11-2006, 11:20
Rome?
Has he been to Pisa ?

If so: this is what I did. I printed 4 of these: http://cp.c-ij.com/europe/papercraft/nl/building/download/pisa_e_a4.pdf
Cut them out and pasted them on a pringles tube (filled with pepernoten - found it at AH). I stickytaped a book in the corner of a Pizza-box and cut a hole in the top of the pizza-box through which I stuck the tube. Since 1 side is on the book the tower is leaning. "The leaning tower of Pizza". [lol]

http://www.holland-at-home.nl/images/Bolletje-kruidnoten-bus.jpg

Matrix
30-11-2006, 12:09
It was just Rome, but thanks for the idea. ;)

Perhaps I can make some other building in Rome... [rolleyes]

Pastorius
30-11-2006, 14:21
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/15yo/index.asp?expanded=15_year_old

Stupid me. I looked at the first post for 2 seconds, then under the assumption that you needed a gift idea, I posted the above link.

Sorry

Swingue
01-12-2006, 11:50
Well I've made quit some surprises in my time, a few good ones (I think):

Ganzebord (no clue what the english version is)
Made this game but included facts and stories of the family inside. This means you have a great laught while playing.
If he finishes, he can get the presents, or he can collect them during the game.

Old Dutch Games
Once made a kind of Old Dutch Olympic Games, including koekhappen, spijkerpoepen and ezeltje prik.
With the family it is great fun

Television
For my grandfather I once made a television out of a box with 7 pictures of defining moments in his life. Put a lightbulb behind and create a mechanism that you can switch the pictures. And tape some texts and music and play it. (made this when I was around 10 or so, so I hope this is still fun, my grandfather got very emotional about it)

Pinata:
Buy a lot of small presents which do not break and wrap them in a pinata. Blindfold your uncle and let him hit the pinata, also guaranteed a lot of fun

If needed more just buzz.

Matrix
01-12-2006, 12:02
Great ideas! Especially the first one!!! [goodjob]