PDA

View Full Version : I get BCLGed! (Civ IV PBEM) [SPOILER]

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 16:47
So I'll try my first ever Civ IV PBEM, along with my first ever non-marathon game, I'm afraid... [lol]

BCLG, what settings would you like? May I suggest we ask the mapmakers for a random map, with a quick check whether it is roughly fair?

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 16:57
Yup can do, what level do you generally play at? im comfortable at any level upto immortalish.

do you want any AI? and also would you like to pick civs in advance?

for all of them i have no preference :)

if we are going to have a map made could we have plentifull resources- i seem to get stuck on some maps where i dont have any for miles around :( see the RM game

we *can* do epic if you want but that would take an awfully long time for a game so normal is probably better?

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 17:02
erhm, say again what level?????

I regularly win on noble, but only if my start isn't too sucky [lol]

I second going normal length, even though it is new to me. But you are quite correct that it'd run forever and ever. For civs I'd say let the mapmaker have free reign. And yes to lotsa res, too :D

AIs: yes please - otherwise it is too straight forward a thing! normal number?

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 17:08
Erm Well id prefer if we're going to do AI- say on the size below standard and have normal AI that way if you want them?

So hows about noble level then? if we put it down then the only drawback is that i think we can get really good things from huts which can skew the game. btw do you want this on vanilla or warlords?-i have either so it doesnt effect me :)

and hows about we pick each others civ? ive never tried it but seems an interesting way to go

we could PM the map maker our choices so we couldnt pick civs that combat each other so well. e.g. egypt and greece- egypt has war chariot but greece has phalanx. what you think to that?

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 17:12
oh.

erh, what is the sequence of levels - is noble higher or lower than immortal) Lower, I thought...

I'd be fine with noble level, too - higher up I'd like to have a regular SP game win first, so that I know what changes.

Choosing your civ - sure thing! I'll PM the map maker, once we have one (2st and 2nd choice), you please do the same for mine! That way, we can't pick a weak civ in comparison....... Intentionally picking civs that fight well has the problem of limiting us to ancient fights, as later on the individual units play much less of a role, I feel. OK?

Kemal
15-11-2006, 17:23
Nice to see you get into civ4 as well Killer. :)

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 17:25
yup, ill probs end up randomising my decisions about which civ to get you,

and yup noble is below immortal but its one of the standard levels to play MP on.

do you already have a mapmaker killer or are we going to request one?

edit- and i could squeeze in some room for a game against you kemal! [assw]

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 17:27
yeah, about time, hu? I'm afraid that I still have very little time, especially because of work, but also because of toher things such as finally getting our flat finished and so on... But at least one PBEM should be doable :D

Whomp
15-11-2006, 17:31
Go get him Killer!! He's getting a little too big for his britches.

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 17:34
hehe, if I can't pull off one of my famous blitzes early on I know he'll get me [lol]

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 17:37
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

yeah, about time, hu? I'm afraid that I still have very little time, especially because of work, but also because of toher things such as finally getting our flat finished and so on... But at least one PBEM should be doable :D

oh dont worry about time it'll be nice to play a pbem where im not the one always not playing it, i get the feeling grs gets a little annoyed:D

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 17:46
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Go get him Killer!! He's getting a little too big for his britches.

[assw]

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 17:49
well, can you make a map request thread, please?

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 17:52
Sure can just didnt know if you had someone in mind, the only problem with map requests is that akots tends to pick them up and i just feel bad for constantly asking him to make maps for me. His maps are v good of course, just im guessing he has better things to do with his time than make maps for us :) ill post regardless as that one made no sense :D

Lt. Killer M
15-11-2006, 17:59
hm, I have nobody in mind, since I hardly had time to check the fora lately. Maybe kemal (who seems to have enough time to lurk around waiting for new threads)?

And yes, if akots puts his usual effort into a map for us, then it is an overkill - as I will suck badly! A normal map will do.

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 18:02
yup well i posted a request :)

yeah kemal just doesnt seem to have anything better to do with his time these days ;)

Kemal
15-11-2006, 18:03
Heh, I can hardly wait for you guys to open threads, it is all I care about.

Seriously: I'm sorry but I'm not well suited as mapmaker. Not only do I not have any experience with civ4 mapmaking, but the world builder is also too resource consuming to correctly operate on my system. Maybe later if I upgrade the pc, but for now, my mapmaking adventures ended with civ3.

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 18:06
no worries barbu has most graciously volunteered :D

he said he'd be able to give it a go this saturday!

Pastorius
15-11-2006, 20:25
Go Henry Go Henry Go!

[cheer]

BCLG100
15-11-2006, 22:42
i hate you all [:p]

good luck though killer :)

Pastorius
15-11-2006, 22:51
Well - since we all know the killer playstyle (TM) - he is the one in need of good luck wishes :D

Banzai
16-11-2006, 08:03
Go Killer! Hit him :D

Lt. Killer M
16-11-2006, 12:10
hehe, I am sure I`ll hit him - it is just a question iof how hard!

Good luck, BCLG!

Lt. Killer M
19-11-2006, 16:43
So from now on, this is a spoiler - BCLG; please get out of here if you stumbled in!

GGARGH!!!! I forgot to say I want a WARLORDS game! Oh well, let's play CIVIV!

And here's my start:
I am the......

uhg! the Chinese! under Mao....I feel I will sprout warts all over my chin.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/31681/start.jpg

I am somewhat undecided what to do: the hut gives my 32 Gold, not the map I had hoped for. Having the stone is great, and I want it in my 21, because it will be a great hammer tile! Food and tax comes from the lake tiles, tax in abundance but food only 2/tile. I can't spy a food bonus atm, and there is only 1 tile that can hold one: between the forest in the east and the jungle below.
I believe in rapid research, so staying near the river is a good idae, too. commerce beakers, commerce beakers, commerce beakers.

One thing I MUST keep in mind is that there is NO GREAT WALL!!!!! Usually, with stone, I'd be the one to build it ASAP, but this is not warlords. UGH!

So I guess I stay where I am - three plains hills with one stone are enough hammers for now. I must get IW soon, too, and cut that jungle back. A second city might fit on the top end of the lae, later.... we'll see....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/31681/settled.jpg

Wow, marble, too! But no food bonus for my capital, and more jungle south (as was to be expected). Me hate jungle..... I'll cut as much as I can early, to allow the forest tiles to spread. A more powerful tool in CIV IV than in warlords.

Research: no idea!

Lt. Killer M
19-11-2006, 16:46
So what should I reasearch: Fishing will be high on the list, obviously, and an arms related tech. Archery leaves my improivements at the mercy of Barb axemen. But going for BW now means 12 turns - that soon I will not have a worker out anyways. So BW is NOT number 1 on the list. I am using the 1-1-1 tile on the river atm (yeah, that sucks, but where could I have gone?). I think Fishing would be a neat idea. 5 turns..... then I will already speed my research. Growth will be a problem, so irrigation must follow soon, too.

Hints welcome [{:)]

Lt. Killer M
29-11-2006, 15:29
Well, we finally managed to fix our email troubles - seems hotmail is willing to mail the game to me, but not take it from me. Argh!

Kemal
29-11-2006, 15:39
Wow, really ugly start for your 1st PBEM game... As you say food is a major problem and most of your resources don't allow to be worked on with the early tech either.

Fishing is a must have indeed, agriculture should be high on the list as well as you say. Hopefully the surrounding lands are somewhat better at least, to get a decent 2nd city running fairly soon?

mauer
10-05-2007, 03:50
Still playing this killer?

BCLG100
10-05-2007, 04:28
no for some reason the save kept fucking up- don't think it was either of our faults as we've both played pbems before but not sure what the problem was [:S]

Lt. Killer M
10-05-2007, 10:16
yeah, no game, I am afraid. maybe we can re-start this with a new map?

BCLG100
10-05-2007, 18:59
yeah sure, how about with warlords?

Lt. Killer M
10-05-2007, 20:32
yeah, I'd prefer that - I only play warlords these days. Settings? I'd love to be Spain - a civ I rarely played lately. What would you like?

BCLG100
10-05-2007, 23:16
hmmm, how about the vikings?

i wouldnt mind playing an archi map- i very rarely play those.

Lt. Killer M
10-05-2007, 23:48
yeah, Viks on Archi ;) good choice!

BCLG100
11-05-2007, 14:55
well i dont mind being someone else :) otherwise what do you wanna play? :)

Lt. Killer M
11-05-2007, 15:45
oh, how about we tell the mapmaker our civs (spain, viks), the number of AI and the speed (normal, I'd say) and let him decide the rest?

BCLG100
11-05-2007, 18:11
sure that sounds good :)

can we play a game without protetive civs in though- i hate them with a passion :D

what level AI do you want?