PDA

View Full Version : Defining your opponent's intentions ?

jack merchant
27-05-2003, 23:00
Playing a fair few PBEM's at the moment, I'm wondering how everyone goes about figuring out what their opponents are up to. With the starts usually rather separated, this does not matter in the early game, but later on, how do you all formulate a theory of what your opponents are going to do ?

Lt. Killer M
27-05-2003, 23:26
I try to imagine what I would do. Naturally, I get a LOT of options as I ahve to estimate the town improvements and the troop numbers as well as the cash. But it is a start.

col
27-05-2003, 23:42
And then you try to do the unexpected ;)

Lt. Killer M
27-05-2003, 23:53
col, don#t give your methods away :p

Shabbaman
28-05-2003, 09:00
Look at the histograph every turn.

ProPain
28-05-2003, 09:00
Like Killer I try to think of what I would do. Also I read some spoilers for other games by the same player to get a general idea for playstyle. (doesn't work always.). Also I get embassies asap with my opponents neighbours to figure out if they're at war with one or another.

Kemal
28-05-2003, 11:42
I regularly check the demographics (F11), in the beginning to see whether literature has been invented already, but especially in the later stages of the game, when the AI has been decimated. With some effort of manually de-/increasing your empire's economical output, you can get the exact amount of commerce and shield your opponent produces.

As for their intentions, I just try to guess based on what I've read from them in the spoilers of previous games.

Sir Eric
25-08-2003, 12:52
I think to properly be able to gauge what your opponent is thinking requires information on many different variables such as civ trait, UU, history up until that point, histograph, quality and quantity of land etc.
Put an obselete unit near the others territory ( Got that one from diggter760).
I also try and do as the others have done like, histograph, reading previous game play/style,
Look at what UU and traits they have that would benefit them in a particular way.
Throw a puny unit or a mock invasion to gauge their response strength and time.
Use the espionage screen to check key cities to see type and number of units + improvements and build ability.
Always try and put yourself in their shoes and do what they would do.

digger760
25-08-2003, 15:00
quote:Originally posted by Sir Eric
Look at what UU and traits they have that would benefit them in a particular way.

so you were expecting a stack of Beserks then, just after I discovered invention and built Leonardos (and had the great library..i think built it from memory??)...so...

Great Libray = 100% tax and lots of cash
Invention = Berserk, and Leonardos,

Lots of cash+ lots of archers + leonardos + accel production = lots of cheap upgrades to Beserks.[hammer]

Moff Jerjerrod
31-10-2003, 19:41

I particularly liked this idea.

Shabbaman
01-11-2003, 17:50
We're full of good ideas. Welcome, moff jerjerrod! [shabba]

Moff Jerjerrod
04-11-2003, 14:59
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

We're full of good ideas. Welcome, moff jerjerrod! [shabba]

Thanks! I look forward to playing a PBEM game sometime with the community.

Pastorius
05-06-2005, 00:05
quote:Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod

I particularly liked this idea.

Sometimes even a tiny warrior can do mucho damage :)