PDA

View Full Version : Forum software poll

ProPain
13-11-2006, 23:01
There's been a lot/some of VB talking for over a year now. I have claimed new domains so we have some migration leeway but a content migration might prove to be difficult. Some people like our current software, some dont, fact is VB would solve some weird Windows2003SE/snitz incompatibilities and lack of snitz features like:

Pro's
- 200kb upload limit: this is a bug, we didnt had this on the old server. VB fora I run on this server dont suffer from this.
- email notification: another new server bug
- thread splitting : not possible in Snitz, but not a real biggie
- we can have more people edit the frontpage. (with addon though)
- better moderator management possible, we can split 'real'mods from 'own forum' mods

Cons:
- migration of old content might prove impossible/difficult. I fear we'll lose some content even in the best possible scenario
- spambots. VB is much more widely used forum, much more spambots will start bothering you. Cycling Champion has several a day atm already.
- it's a hassle which will take time.

I'm prepared to change stuff around however when:
- you guys want it
- some of you will help me out and lend a hand

So the million dollar question is:

Do you want the forum software changed to VB

(and whatever you guys choose, spamming will always be allowed :))

socralynnek
13-11-2006, 23:10
I got used to the forum here, although email-notification or better PM system or more upload would be nice...

So I voted "Don't care"

Kemal
13-11-2006, 23:10
We definitely need to keep the old content!

If that can't be guaranteed I say don't move. I know of several very old but classic threads that are still a great read. On a personal note, I definitely absolutely would not like to lose the following threads/fora:

- All DDPP related threads
- All my own spoiler threads plus the spoilers of other people in those games
- ISDG c3c semifinal forum

Probably there are a lot of other good spoilers too that don't immediately come to mind. I regularly read old spoilers of people like Jack Merchant, anarres, DrA etc...

Of course, I'm willing to give any assistance needed in moving or preserving these threads.

Darkness
13-11-2006, 23:13
I agree with Kemal

BCLG100
14-11-2006, 00:47
i dont care either way tbh :)

Matrix
14-11-2006, 00:56
Give us vBulletin! :D I don't care that much about old content. But what I do wish we keep is the same modability as we have now for our own subforum.

akots
14-11-2006, 01:05
It would be important to keep the old contents alive IMHO. If it is at risk of being lost, that is not good.

Socrates
14-11-2006, 01:32
Voted : gimme vB. :)

- Difficult or impossible migration : if it appears we'd lose much, here is an idea. Just keep everything at CDZ until this point in this state (Snitz), start a new vB forum from scratch, and include a big link at a very convenient place in both forums. That way, we enjoy vB, while being able to do our nostalgic geek by clicking on one link, entering an old world. Alice in Wonderland... [groucho]

- Old stuff alive (consequence of above) : We could still keep the Snitz part open (I assume both forums would be kept on a same server), so as to update old threads. If it costs money to keep Snitz alive, just copy/paste said threads, or there must be a solution (get a life ? :D ).

- Spambots : can't help you there, I have no experience of admin. If we can purely delete them as they come, fine (just keep one for PP's game though).

- Hassle : Using this Snitz software IS the real hassle. I started to post that way here recently : go into a thread, ooh ! I wanna post an answer, open a new tab (Firefox) for my reply or quote, write my message, post it, and voilą !! Once I've checked the spelling and stuff, I'm done and close the new tab, click Back to get back to Active Topics. Etc... [sad]

- Retro feel : IMHO, Snitz is the obsolete stuff. I think we could custom vB to a retro feel the way that pleases us, ie. a real kitsch forum. [thumbsup] Hey, I would even let anar's purple colour (crazy English) if you want to keep it. ;)

- Same modability : Definitely. We want our own forums, that's the essence of CDZ ! PP is saying it's handled better in vB, so no worries. I have one special request : if we could be allowed to create sub-forums in our own forums (I'd like to seperate Civ3 from Civ4 from the rest).

BCLG100
14-11-2006, 02:11
Snitz does sound better than Vb though- the name that is...

Shabbaman
14-11-2006, 07:48
I have no problems with snitz besides the lack of threadsplitting. But I think we're reaching a limit regarding the number of (pbem) moderators. We have to find a better solution for that. I don't know if vB gives us that. I don't like vB that much anyway.

Dr. A. said he'd like to help with the migration. Cookie for him.

grs
14-11-2006, 10:44
Having a better forum software does not cope for the loss of old content, imho.

A link - like krys said - might be a solution. Copying the contents another, but we probably would have to do that by hand. I would volunteer to help doing that.

Kingreno
14-11-2006, 10:45
Old posts need to stay on this site. It's fun to read them and Civ4 PBEM is so much less active then civ 3.

Socrates
14-11-2006, 13:09
If need be, I'd volunteer to sort out the sub-forums in the best order and stuff.

Also, I'm currently learning SQL and will soon learn PHP at the Uni, not sure if that could help.

Tubby Rower
14-11-2006, 13:58
I voted yes.

as far as getting old stuff transferred... couldn't we just save the text of the content that we would like saved om the forums that we are in charge of.

Then once things get switched over... just do like we're doing for the SGOTM

grahamiam
14-11-2006, 15:00
I voted yes, but we must keep the old content. losing the old content would not be worth moving.

Socrates
30-11-2006, 19:09
So, what are the conclusions of this poll ? :)

Lt. Killer M
30-11-2006, 19:11
I offer what little time I can - how about we each take one important old thread and c&p it into a new one? I can handle vB well enough to do that - although it means a lot of 'imposter posts'......

ProPain
30-11-2006, 20:53
Conclusion:

- most like VB better
- old content is valued highly

THE PLAN: During the X-mas holidays I;m gonna see if I can gather all stuff needed to migrate our old crap into new VB style. Get an expert like Dr. A to help me and if everything works out we're cool (like the Fonz)

Most likely we wont be totally cool but just slightly chilled and we need some hand made icecubes to get totalle freezing cool. (I'm suspecting pics might not port easily for example) Handyworks will distributed amongst the willing volunteers with 14th of Feb as a backup plan: one hour of content porting for an hour of LAN Civ ;)

Socrates
26-01-2007, 01:01
Bumping a random thread... [mischief]

Shabbaman
26-01-2007, 08:18
PP probably meant christmas 2059.

Lt. Killer M
26-01-2007, 13:55
Hm, I may own a current vB version soon, which would have to be re-registered for one year to the civ3duelzone URL....... It is used for work atm, but the other cowrokers ignore it. Maybe I can talk the boss out of it.

Matrix
26-01-2007, 14:26
Speaking of which, when are we going to switch to civduelzone.com/.org/.net? ;)

Beam
26-01-2007, 23:34
any news on this? Personally I value content much more than some new bells and wizzles. :)

akots
27-01-2007, 01:44
quote:Originally posted by Beam
any news on this? Personally I value content much more than some new bells and wizzles. :)

Must agree completely.

Socrates
27-01-2007, 01:52
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Me too, but this site is the only site I know that isn't properly working (we all know the bugs). It's an opportunity to get rid of much annoyance.

ProPain
29-01-2007, 11:24
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

cowrokers

Nice one for the dictionary.

Well, I haven't been able to work on to because of personal stuff. Floor was ill during x-mas and my pregnant wife has been i'll right after that and hasn't recuperated much since. Currently I have several work related stuff that has been stacking up since to finish first but the site will get the attention it needs as soon as possible.

Socrates
14-02-2007, 19:38
Is ProPain the only one who can manages this ? Otherwise we could start doing it without him. ProPain seems to be away at the moment, probably because of RL.

I personally have much more free time than before now, so I could help doing it, if only I knew what to do.