PDA

View Full Version : Railroads!

Shabbaman
30-10-2006, 09:44
I got to play Sid Meier's Railroads!, a remake of the ancient Railroad Tycoon. I played that game a lot, but not as much as Transport Tycoon though. Anyway, they're basically the same, and so is Railroads.
It uses the same engine as civ4, and about every other firaxis game. It looks the same as well, which is pretty (my dad's words, and he really doesn't care about computer games. this was probably the first time I heard him say a game looks pretty) but cartoony.
I played 1 scenario, perhaps other scenario's are different. The major differences with the old game are that passengers aren't as important as they used to be, and that laying tracks is a lot more expensive, but tunnels and such are a lot less expensive. It has become very easy to lay tracks (although I couldn't figure out how to remove track). So the game has become less complex: do you pay for a tunnel, or go around the mountain?

So, there might be less visible differences (no moronic AI), but basically it's the same game. I noticed only 1 brilliant difference: you have to expand from an assigned starting point, you can't lay tracks everywhere. The game is (thus) less about claiming "that one industry". Quite important for multiplayer.

Speaking of multiplayer, I think that's what might make this game interesting. Can't think of another reason to buy it though.

socralynnek
30-10-2006, 09:56
I am also thinking of buying it but I've read that the predefined maps are too easy and there is no real endless-game.
I have also loved RRT 1-3 and TT, but I'll probably wait til it's cheaper, although multiplayer sounds nice.

Shabbaman
30-10-2006, 10:14
The predefined maps in the other games weren't that much fun either. And if it gets a large enough fanbase you'd undoubtly be able to download superb scenario's in no time.
Endless... well... Like I said, when it doesn't matter if you go through a mountain or around it, there's not much room for improvement in the late game. But that might be the scenario I played, and it's probably moddable. So it comes down to if you're a sucker for graphics. And the multiplayer. But since I haven't even tried civ4 multiplayer, I doubt I'll play this one.

It's very likely going in the bargain bin in half a year. It's definately worth 15 euro's ;)

tofra
31-10-2006, 14:41
I'm going to try him tonight.. (if I have some time left, after watching PSV ;))

I've really spend years playing Transport Tycoon Deluxe!!! What a great game....

Rik Meleet
31-10-2006, 15:15
I'm interested in Tofra's Railroad-fanatic's opinion on Railroads.
I'm afraid the game will be an even greater disappointment to you then PSV's loss to Galatasaray.

Shabbaman
31-10-2006, 15:26
Well Rik, I could try to play another scenario for you, but I'm afraid Rome Total War has a greater appeal to me. Only multiplayer can save this game. And I think I've spend about three hours on the scenario, so it's definately multiplayer-capable. But that's probably in sharp contrast to the "endless-game" socralynnek mentioned. Very likely the game has some sandbox mode though.

Matrix
31-10-2006, 15:55
I get the impression that Sid Meier is not a big MP fan, so I doubt it'd be better.

Shabbaman
31-10-2006, 16:00
It just uses his name. Like civ4 ;)