PDA

View Full Version : Civ4 World War 1 Scenario

digger760
24-10-2006, 10:30
I am almost finished playing the WW1 vanilla civ4 scenario, what a slot fest it turned out to be.

The map is large and there can be lots of units to move about, so turns can be quite long. I played for almost 2 hours last night and got through only 10 turns.

I am playing England, so it is very tedious try to move troops to the front. I am producing 4-5 units per turn, Promote-Promote-Move-BoardShip, ShipWait rinse repeat until ship full, move to Calais unload, wait another turn move to Front, or close to it.

I am producing Biplanes in Ireland, cos i can't be arsed with another ship run from there, but the city spacing is akward enough that i can't fly over cities to re-locate them so it takes Belfast-Manchester-London-Calais-Brussels-NextGerman city to get them to the front, 5 turns of flying!!!

There must be a better way of moving units!!!

I made the mistake of landing at Gallipolli. I thought i could get it right. I captured the City there (I forget what its called). Perhaps i should have fortified all my units there until the culture grew, but i got greedy split my forces, some towards constantinople and a few others went south. Anyways, Turkish forces ground me down and there superior number of units killed me there in the end. I should have jsut invaded from Egypt, Turkish infrastructure is poor down there, so any re-inforcements that arrive are in dribs and drabs which allows you to pick them off and heal before more arrive and you end up with some well promoted units. However my invasion was very lat in coming so I have only just managed to capture Damascus. I am sure the the Expeditionalr force that I could have taken alot more early in the game.

Anyways 10 turns to go, i started fortifying everything i built and not even promoting them, i was getting thourougly bored with the game!!

I am winning and i think i have over taken The russians on score, which is not easy considering the amount of land they start with. I just took Vienna and Prague which shows how far east i have penetrated. Mind you i havn't pushed so far in the north as the Germans are a tougher nut to crack. I have captured and lost Hamburg twice in the last few turns and i had captured and lost another German city to the south west.

A good mix of units is very important, even Cavalry is important as i help defend against artillery and even pick them off if left open. Turkey is not so difficul as the tend not to have any planes or artillery (not that i noticed).

One more thing. Englands huge navy is next to useless, it has spent almost the entire game sentried at sea. Any German ships are wiped in the first few turns.

10 turns to go..thats at about 2 hours of game play, unless i fortify all and put all my cities on long builds. I might get this game aver and done with yet.