PDA

View Full Version : Time spiral release event

Shabbaman
20-10-2006, 12:26
It's been hard to miss, but there's a new set. Time spiral, with a lot of references to old cards. Take a look at the cards (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/Index.aspx?setfilter=TimeSpiralBlock&output=Spoiler).

Nice for oldtimers like me (and quite a lot of you). As a bonus, the set has a lot of reprints (printed with a purple expansion symbol). I bought a lot of those already. While I was pretty disappointed with the coldsnap release league, I think I'm going to play in the TS release as well. Anyone else interested? I think it'll start in the first week of november.

ProPain
20-10-2006, 12:45
OMFG: they've reprinted all basic lands....AGAIN!

I'll be playing the release league I suppose. Very ready to get my booty kicked again :)

Kemal
20-10-2006, 13:06
I might join as well, my current Rav league will be finishing next thursday so I'm up for another event anyway.

Shabbaman
20-10-2006, 13:07
You didn't play many games last time did you?

I need some of the new commons for my tribal standard zombie deck. It's very good already, I got complaints from opponents that it didn't have a tribal feel. Ha! Sorry losers... it's got 20 zombies nenenenene!

I'm disappointed about sengir autocrat now being human instead of minion. It doesn't get the boost from Balthor the defiled anymore.

Kemal
26-10-2006, 23:37
Turns out I got my best finish in a league so far for my latest Rav league, place 14, resulting in 6 boosters in prizes. [yeah]

I'm in good spirit now for the TSP league, so I'm definitely gonna play... would be nice though if we could all join the same league.. I suppose they fill up pretty fast though?

ProPain
27-10-2006, 17:34
Congrats!! I've been so absorped by my work I managed to play exactly 0 games in the whole league [cry]

At least we still have the pictures.....

Will play the release league I think.

Shabbaman
27-10-2006, 20:24
I decided not to play: yesterday I received the time spiral cards I ordered through ebay. I already had ordered some reprinted cards (4xcall of the herd, most notably), so as it turns out I've spent 80 euro's on magic cards this month. That should be enough.

If you get some deathspore thallids I'd really like to have them though. I need them for my tribal standard deck (you know, the one with the saprolings and the grave pacts). The other cards I really, really like are sudden death and krosan grip, both uncommon. Sudden spoiling and stonewood invocation are drool-worthy as well, but they're rare. The split second mechanic is really strong.

Kemal
27-10-2006, 20:34
Just send us 80 euro and I'm sure we can get you 4 deathspore thallids soon enough. ;)

Shabbaman
27-10-2006, 21:04
That's a problem... someone else now has my 80 euro. On the bright side, I do have a huge collection of withered wretches and twisted abominations now.

Shabbaman
29-10-2006, 00:48
One I forgot: terramorphic expanse. Now I don't have to run ghost quarter to get my own lands in the graveyard, in order to make life of the loam work.

Kemal
03-11-2006, 10:30
I joined a TSP-release league yesterday, and the cards I got weren't too shabby I think. My rares and timeshifted cards are:

- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Walk the Aeons
- Spectral Force
- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
- Ancestral Vision

- Spike Feeder
- Lord of Atlantis
- Cockatrice
- Wildfire Emissary
- Zhalfirin Commander

I've played one match so far, winning 2-1 (and costing me about 1 hour of playing time as apparently everyone needs to read all cards and what they do :)).

Anyone else already joined? Happy with the new cards?

Shabbaman
03-11-2006, 12:14
Ooh, spike feeder, one of my favorites! The wildfire emissary should be very good in limited. With the ancestral vision and the jaya ballard you've probably earned your entry fee. I've never had that pleasure... I'm sorry to say this, but you're a lucky bastard. You're playing something with red I assume?

Kemal
03-11-2006, 12:34
Yep, UGR atm... though I'm wondering whether I should include B instead of G as I have (besides Ballard) my only 2 burn cards in that colour. Then again, the Spectral Force is such a bomb at 3GG that it wins games on its own, and my support cards in both colours are about the same...

Btw, Ancestral vision does make you wonder about what it would be like to be fortunate enough to play with the original... even with suspend 4 this card rocks big time, a very nice treat to have in your opening hand.

Shabbaman
03-11-2006, 13:37
Ancestral recall isn't a fun card to play with. The whole vintage/type I format is based on playing ancestrall recall and then replaying it with yawgmoth's will. It doesn't win you games, it's just insanely br0ken. Which eventually will win you the game. Vintage is a very skill intensive format, but the average game lasts four turns. Pretty boring.

Kemal
03-11-2006, 13:48
Agreed, I'm not ever venturing in Vintage territory anyway, since besides boring it is also extremely expensive.

But let me rephrase: Ancestral vision does make you wonder about what it would be like for a casual player to be fortunate enough to play with the original... even with suspend 4 this card rocks big time, a very nice treat to have in your opening hand.

Better? ;)

Shabbaman
03-11-2006, 15:29
Not really.

If you're wondering how nice it would be to draw three cards for a single blue mana, you're probably not a casual player [:p]

Kemal
04-11-2006, 01:02
Meh, I ended 4-1 in the league thanks to some incredible suspend/empty the warrens deck I ran into that twice ended me in 5 turns. Just my luck to draw such a player for my real games. :(

Shabbaman
04-11-2006, 10:06
Still a pretty respectable finish!

Kemal
06-11-2006, 21:32
Having played a few days with TSP in the league, I just wanted to say that IMvHO, this set totally sucks for limited play.

The playfield is totally dominated by bombs that are all over the place, often it being a matter of who draws his bomb first, or who got the better bombs from his starting packs. Cards like Draining Whelk, Storm Bind, Ballard etc, but even on a more common level errant ephemeron and the very few decent removal spells that are available mean that the playfield is just as variable as it will ever get.

A 4/4 flyer with haste on turn 5 needs good removal, but if you don't have it your game is over, since there isn't a suitable blocker in the entire set to stand up against these guys, who are common. To put it short, my bombs allowed me to get a 4-1 win in the first 5, I now have a spell of 0-8 with the *exact* same deck.

I'm back to the RGD leagues, this isn't my idea of a fun environment anymore.