PDA

View Full Version : 32 player Pitboss - Spoiler

Matrix
14-10-2006, 00:07
My start:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200610140053_32civs01.jpg
89.99KB

As you can see I took quite a risk walking around with my warrior. But now I could check whether my rather close neighbour took the same risk. If he did, I'll have much more room to expand in the beginning and one potential enemy less. If he didn't take a risk, I'm still on a hill and he won't attack my warrior likely. Mind you: tech trading is off, so I won't be losing a tech partner.

But...everyone has greatly anticipated this game and there's a big chance Magsi will be majorly disappointed to be kicked out this early. Should I not attack in the name of fair play? Yet it would be his risk to take (just like I took it).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200610140611_32civs02.jpg
91.18KB

Socrates
14-10-2006, 03:24
That list of 32 civs wouldn't even fit on my 17" screen (1024*728). [lol] You guys are crazy. ;)

To answer your question : if this guy is a good friend of yours (I mean, a really good friend) that you don't want to piss off, then why not let him play more ? Otherwise (general case), just SCREW HIM if you can. [evil] You know, all those real-TV shows have a dude getting kicked out of the experience during the first week. [mischief]

Now, good luck, and keep us posted !

akots
14-10-2006, 04:32
Well, your game already looks pretty crazy for me. You are researching Poly instead of fishing or Bronze and for some reason working flood plains not hurrying up with your warrior build and not building workboat. So, whatever you do might be not so important. :)

It might be that the number of players would decrease dramatically very soon. [lol]

RegentMan
14-10-2006, 08:19
Wow... 32 players... Amazing! [eek]

All's fair in love and civ.

Matrix
14-10-2006, 12:54
@akots: with 32 civs, having a religion could be very lucrative. :)

Alright, I'll give it a go at Magsi. [evil]

Matrix
14-10-2006, 12:58
By the way, to have 32 civs someone made a special mod. Every leader is in the game, so a lot of civs have the same colour. I don't, since there's only one Arabian leader. :) The mod also makes a huge map even bigger, I believe.

And for once we're not playing on a pangaea, but continents. [king] Yet, with so many civs, the effect might be there are just as many civs on this continent. [lol]

Matrix
14-10-2006, 19:25
Well, there you go.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2006101419256_32civs03.jpg
126.54KB

RegentMan
14-10-2006, 19:53
Poor guy...

Congrats on being the first to conquer someone in the game!

Matrix
14-10-2006, 20:06
Well, the story is not over yet. Magzi hasn't moved yet. That means we'd arrive at Beijing on the same turn, since it's simultaneous moves.
So I've asked the crowd what they think of it: http://www.strategamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446.

akots
14-10-2006, 22:30
Just be there when the turn is over and move first. You've got to "spam" the keyboard prior to the end of turn which means selecting your unit (make sure there are no EOT events in your empire) and press the arrow key repeatedly. That way you'd have about 50% chance to capture the capital if he will also be "spamming" his warrior. The location seems to be nice for the second city to be added to your empire. That is if you are able to defend it. :)

Whomp
14-10-2006, 23:41
Hah! It could be BCLG too. He's one of the China's.
I was asked to admin the 18 person civ4 Warlords OT game and this came up. The decision was to allow 10 turns before attacking. If that's the way it goes down I would tell BCLG you two need to take over the map and he should be your bitch. Just my opinion.

Matrix
16-10-2006, 22:09
It's not BCLG100, but...Magzi. And he's dead now. :)

But this caused quite a stir! Fact is we haven't talked about such a rule (no war in the first X turns), because it didn't even occur to most players that this could happen. Now I'm not playing in the spirit of the game, according to some. [rolleyes]
Well, more about that here (http://www.strategamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446).

I also met Fosse. He addressed as follows: "Greetings, conqueror. Hope we'll have a peaceful time together." :D

Darkness
17-10-2006, 09:26
What a bunch of massive whiners over there... [lol]

socralynnek
17-10-2006, 14:26
Greetings you early conqueror bastard...oh, wait, I did the same to grs... ooopppsss...

The capital didn't autoraze, did it?

Sad, you can't acquire the Chinese traits by conquering...

Tubby Rower
17-10-2006, 14:56
I think that you did the correct thing Matrix. The risk you took has a reward associated with it and you deserve his capital. "bunch of whiners" hit the nail on the head

Matrix
17-10-2006, 17:42
But I don't have his city! [:o] Should I have it? It was size 1...

Tubby Rower
17-10-2006, 17:44
I'm probably wrong but I thought as long as it had cultural expansion you could keep it.. maybe that was civ3 not civ 4

do they have no city capture turned on?

Matrix
18-10-2006, 14:34
No. And it was indeed the case in Civ3. Apparently not in Civ4.
I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed myself that I didn't get the city. ;)

grahamiam
18-10-2006, 14:44
[thumbsup] too bad you didn't get the capitol, but now you have plenty of room to expand as all the others decide to gang-up on you [lol]

ProPain
18-10-2006, 22:57
I really dont know what some are crying about. You take a risk and get rewarder, Magzi took a risk and lost. That's exactly the spirit of the/any game imo.

Like a great flemish philosopher said once: "Wie niet waagt, blijft maagd" (flemish gameshow host said this to a candidate in doubt of playing the final of his show) For you non dutch speakers "who doesnt take a chance will stay a virgin"

Whomp
19-10-2006, 04:36
Yeah it's something that like any MP game should be discussed before the game starts. This is not one of your friendly games. It's 32 freakin' people. How could they not know space is going to be at a premium immediately. You're in the right Matrix.

grs
19-10-2006, 09:44
The only problem is, that they may gang up on you because of the attack. That is a factor not to neglect in a MP game with many players, like I learned the hard way in the CFC MTDG.

grahamiam
19-10-2006, 14:40
oh, no doubt grs :) but Matrix did have some backers in that thread, so maybe it's just be a WW of rightous-fuckers vs ruthless-fuckers [lol]

Pastorius
19-10-2006, 16:18
In the spirit of [col], you did the right thing

If he was around, he would be proud as hell of you right now :D

mauer
09-11-2006, 22:44
I read about this elsewhere. So you been spanked yet?

Matrix
09-11-2006, 23:33
Nope. I've met a couple of other players, but no annoyed ones yet. ;)

Fosse is in the south.
CB is in the north.
Facezuma is somewhere in the west.

mauer
10-11-2006, 00:21
It wouldn't have annoyed me either. I'd try to kill you none the less [karate]

Matrix
16-03-2007, 01:28
This game has been going on for about half a year now at StrateGamer.com. I should've made a spoiler a long time ago, but I recently finished exploring the contours of a significant portion of the continent (perhaps almost the whole continent).
http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/32p01.jpg

Magzi's capital was where Uppsala is now. I killed Magzi quite early, which caused quite a stir. Uppsala was built while the Vikings were governed by the AI. I was on friendly terms with Fosse, until I built Custa City right between our capitals. He didn't like that (it was either him or me, so he was just jealous [rolleyes]), so he annexed Custa City, coincidentally while I was in South Africa and BCLG100 took charge. Now I'm trying to get it back.

Concerning my neighbours: DaveShack and CB are ok. Elucidus has been surprisingly kind. He wants to ally with me very badly. [slanteye] I haven't been able to contact ThePumaman yet. Anyway, Elucidus said he wants to attack Fosse. HitAnyKey just declared war on Fosse last turn and after I told Obey that Fosse is about to get his ass kicked he thanked me for the tip. ;)

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/32p02.jpg

Tech trading is not possible, which is very relaxed on one hand, but very disturbing on the other. Falling behind is staying behind. [help] This is where I'm at. Fosse already has a catapult.
http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/32p03.jpg

Matrix
28-03-2007, 11:04
And that's that. [rolleyes] I wanted Custa City back, because without it I'd have only four cities. So I tried to get as many people to declare war on Fosse as possible. But then Elucidus thought "Hey, four against one isn't fair! I'll attack Matrix instead." while basically I was still the only one battling Fosse. So this game is over for me. [wavey]

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/32p04.jpg

emperor
20-04-2007, 09:44
Hmm, ok, interesting. I never really kept up much with this game. Seems like you had a bit of a tough time. No tech trading is an interesting option, but not one that I think I like much personally. ;)

Looks like some players are pulling ahead into a very large tech lead with the no tech trading (the top three in score, for instance). Of course, it might be just that they have "acquired" a lot of cities and now control large empires. But even so, a high GNP and a large empire usually go together (at least after the initial build-up stage after conquering). :)