PDA

View Full Version : akots vs krys Civ4 *** SPOILER ***

akots
06-10-2006, 07:02
This is my second PBEM in Civ4 against Krys (first was against grs), map made by Sirian.

Game is on version 1.61, Monarch, no AI, archipelago reachable by galleys, tiny size, normal speed. I play as Caesar of Rome and Krys is Qin of China.

Here is the start. I moved 1 tile south and settled on stone. There is not enough food here and I won't be able to use these extra hammers provided by quarry while having two hammers on capital tile is nice. Bad thing is that workboat would have to travel around to get to crabs for 6 turns. But I would not have to waste workers moves to improve stone to hook it up and can try to compete with industrious Qin for some nice wonders. Building boat of course and researching Mysticism hoping to grab a religion for extra happiness.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200610655719_akvskrstart.JPG
67.15 KB

Plan is simple and straightforward. Research to Iron Working, Sailing, Animal Husbandry, hook up the iron, build galleys and go kill Qin. I also plan of heavy whipping whenever possible although the map does not look like it can be done easily in Rome. Hence the need to scout early in the game and build more cities in food-rich places.

I'm not planning an all-out risky assault, just will try to cripple the development of Qin. My limited experience with about two dozen MP games tells that Qin is a very formidable foe if left unattended and would get to chokonu early. Also, this experience tells me that whoever can build more cities and grab more land, food, and resources usually wins sooner of later. Just make sure not to overexpand. However, there is a lot of water on this map and financial trait would be very powerful. So, my hope goes to pretorians and it might be a good idea to try to decide the game early on.

socralynnek
06-10-2006, 12:28
Question: Is stone already connected now or do you need Masonry for that, too?

BCLG100
06-10-2006, 13:18
you need masonry before you can use the the stone IIRC

akots
27-10-2006, 05:39
We played something like 75 turns. My initial development followed a pretty straightforward path towards Iron Working and Sailing leaving all other tech for later on. I built 2 galleys, 3 archers, 2 workers and a settler and founded second city on bronze. However, Krys is ahead of me in almost everything. But this turn, I've managed to sail to his capital and can say that map is really fucked up here. Probably the mapmaker was in a hurry or just plain intoxicated. [lol] No offense please no anyone especially to our nice mapmaking god here, this is a joke. However, I wrote to krys asking whether we should continue. IMHO, I'm fine continuing even if this means a sure loss to me. I just hope I can compensate for the hadicap with some active play, whipping and early attacks.

I've got stone under the capital but he's got freaking gold mine which means that he is also financial and that I'm in deep shit here since I have no happiness resources until calendar anywhere around the map.

Here is my capital region and as you can see, the other part of the island is barren wasteland tundra with only a silk resource and a fish and essentially no land to work. So, I'm limited to single city on the starting landmass whereas krys was able to comfortably build his second city in a nice location. Also, the freaking cow to the west of the capital cannot be reached by any city which means that Romans would eat some steaks only for health improving purposes and not for nutrition to actually provide food.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2006102743326_ak-kr-Civ4-1160bc-b.JPG
77.8KB

This is the second city which is not that bad (2 seafood and copper mine) and it can grow to size 5 if I decide to revolt to Buddism (religion I grabbed which does not want to spread to the capital).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2006102743458_ak-kr-Civ4-1160bc-c.JPG
37.94KB

Here is Chinese homeland, a splendid view in nice weather. Too bad my galley does not have any units in it. It seems, there is no other defence apart from warriors in these cheesy cities and they are open for conquest right now. Galley from around Rome would take about 6 turns to get there but I hope i can get a circumnavigation bonus soon and this might take only 5 turns instead. I'm also planning on building a short galley chain (may be 3 galleys total).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2006102743721_ak-kr-Civ4-1160bc-a.JPG
56.17KB

And here is the iron island, approximately in between me and krys, at equal distance. I'm planning to ship a settler/worker/archer/workboat there in the near future (8-9 turns). Too bad, it is desert. I also hope I would get there first before krys does and even if he does, I can try to attack it with axemen.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2006102743931_ak-kr-Civ4-1160bc-d.JPG
23.53KB

akots
30-10-2006, 01:43
The game is progressing well. I've built/rushed 4 galleys, an archer, and 2 axemen and settled the iron desert city. This turn, my galley with axeman tried to sail to Chinese city up north which I thought is the only source of copper but the way was blocked by Chinese galley and look what happened when I tried to investigate the capital:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200610300406_ak-kr-Civ4-750bc-a.JPG
46.98 KB

Of course I attacked:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2006103004027_ak-kr-Civ4-750bc-b.JPG
72.89 KB

Game is not over yet but production capacity of the Chinese empire is greatly diminished. However, there is another source of copper on the northern island and Beijing is a very formidable city. However, I might have pretorians running within 8 to 9 turns and that would make the job somewhat easier. Not sure what krys would do, may be just build a horde of axemen and try to counterattack or expand.

As you can see from the screnshot, Shanghai had also a source of copper. But for some mysterious reasons krys had not built a single axeman so far.

Socrates
30-10-2006, 16:43
Shanghai is lost -> game over.

Congrats akots ! [goodjob] You deserve victory twice, because of your obvious handicap. If you want a general answer to your questions in this thread, here it is : I don't know how to play against a human player, that's as simple as that (though I'm losing my games against AIs too).

Tubby Rower
30-10-2006, 16:56
maybe I need to play krys to get my confidence up ..(either that or my confidence will be eternally shattered [lol] )

Socrates
30-10-2006, 16:56
quote:Originally posted by akots

But I would not have to waste workers moves to improve stone to hook it up and can try to compete with industrious Qin for some nice wonders.

Wonders ? Did you really think of that during the game ? Me yes, but that's because I'm krys.

quote:Building boat of course and researching Mysticism hoping to grab a religion for extra happiness.

Did you get Buddhism early on, or did you wait longer ?

quote:I just hope I can compensate for the hadicap with some active play, whipping and early attacks.

Oh, you just have to play a few more turns, bring an axeman on a galley, and you get the win. Don't complicate things when they're simple ! [lol]

quote:And here is the iron island, approximately in between me and krys, at equal distance. I'm planning to ship a settler/worker/archer/workboat there in the near future (8-9 turns). Too bad, it is desert. I also hope I would get there first before krys does and even if he does, I can try to attack it with axemen.

No worries, I didn't reach this island with my galleys, and I didn't reach Iron Working either. I was researching Metal Casting so as to open the path for a free Machinery (Cho-ko-nus) with the Oracle. But I needed a few more dozens of turns for that... [mischief]

quote:This turn, my galley with axeman tried to sail to Chinese city up north which I thought is the only source of copper but the way was blocked by Chinese galley

Blocked on purpose (I did what I could with what I had), but I didn't know this was your primary goal ; I thought you were just coming trying to mess things up on my starting island, and I thought you knew I had this source of copper near Shanghai.

quote:Beijing is a very formidable city

You bet ! Size 7, with Judaism as a state religion, and Organized Religion (+25% hammers in city for buildings). Cheezy. Almost French cheese.

akots
30-10-2006, 18:57
I did time researching Meditation with the build of the second city to get cultural extension there. But it is all in the log.

Again thanks for the game.