PDA

View Full Version : Civs vs Civs

Tubby Rower
02-10-2006, 17:44
This might be a stupid idea, but is anyone up for a game with all of the civs with 2 (or more) leaders. These two civs will be permanently alligned. And always war vs the other civs.

So these civs could participate...

America (George & Roosevelt) - Robboo (or replacement)
China (Mao & Qin) - Socraynnek
England (Vicky & Elizabeth) - barbu1977
France (Louis & Nappy) - krysABunchOfLetters
Germany (Bismark & Freddy) - Darkness
India (Asoka & Ghandi) - Robi D
Mongolia (Kublai & Ghengis) - BCLG3001
Russia (Pedro & Cathy) - Tubby

Would anyone be interested in this? I'd rather a PTBS game, but I have no way of hosting it at the moment so it would almost have to be PBEM.

Tubby Rower
02-10-2006, 17:45
<s>I'm a moron... could someone move this to the Opponent finding forum?</s>

EDIT:: I moved it myself... Didn't realize that you could do such a thing

Robboo
02-10-2006, 18:47
I woudl be interested..talk to me in November or once i knock off a few PBEMS

BCLG100
02-10-2006, 19:42
Aye i'd be interested, i call mongolia :)

Tubby Rower
02-10-2006, 19:58
Just a note that Monolia will be starting on a Tundra island with no resources while the rest of the civs will be on a pangaea type continent with balanced resources [:p] Civ calling will take place later, after we figure out who is interested.

BCLG100
02-10-2006, 20:08
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

Just a note that Monolia will be starting on a Tundra island with no resources while the rest of the civs will be on a pangaea type continent with balanced resources [:p] Civ calling will take place later, after we figure out who is interested.

God id hate to be that 'monolia' civ, good job i called Mongolia :D

Tubby Rower
02-10-2006, 20:21
[lol] I had a Killer moment [blush]

Socrates
02-10-2006, 20:52
I'd be interested in this PBEM. :) Can you have 2 leaders of the same nation in one game without any editing ? If you say so, kewl ! Even though you don't want to hear our choices, I'd like to represent France, given that Louis and Napoléon (in that order) were the French leaders I wanted for Civ4. I'd prefer PBEM if possible. Both leaders permanently allied for each player and all couples at war with one another sounds like the way to go indeed.

Never played a PBEM with 2 civs, but I've read it's a lot of fun splitting your research and production in two. :)

socralynnek
02-10-2006, 21:08
I have never played a PBEM by now...but I'd be interested!

Tubby Rower
02-10-2006, 21:28
ok so...I'll take Russia

Tubby -&gt; Russia
Robboo -&gt;
BCLG -&gt; Khans
krys -&gt; Frenchies
Socra -&gt;

So that leaves robboo & Socraynnek to pick a civ and we need 3 more or we could go ahead and start. Remaining civs to choose from are America, Germany, India, England, and China... Any one else want in on this?

Robboo, would you be okay to start now, or should we start without you? Unless it takes a month for us to get our act together [lol]

socralynnek
02-10-2006, 22:05
I take the Chinese then!

Socrates
02-10-2006, 22:12
Just realised that Kubilai Khan was a Mongol leader... [crazyeye] Yeah of course he is Temujin's grandson, but he was Emperor of China... Got confused.

Maybe we should wait a bit (a day or two), to see if we can have up to 8 players ? Also, what about all the specs ? I'm no expert, but in any case, I wouldn't like a big map.

BCLG100
02-10-2006, 22:20
whats the one after standard-that would probably be best, seeing as if we have 8 players thats 16 civs.....

Darkness
02-10-2006, 23:25
I always wondered what having a split personality would be like... :)

Germany?

Darkness
02-10-2006, 23:27
I always wondered what having a split personality would be like... :)

Germany?

socralynnek
02-10-2006, 23:43
I guess that was the first intended double post ever....

Setup:
Shall we have 2 continents with 1 leader of each nation on one, the others on the other continent or what should the landmass look like?

BCLG100
02-10-2006, 23:55
id prefer not to have continents really, would make things too complicated for my little mind :(

Darkness
03-10-2006, 00:24
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

I guess that was the first intended double post ever....

[lol]

No, not really.
I got impatient when it took 90 seconds to post my reply, so I clicked again... [blush2]

Socrates
03-10-2006, 00:59
So, Tubby, you're left with America (a very good civ with a very late UU ;) ), England or India. And still 2 spots left. To ensure a fair pace, I propose we set up the game so that each player gets to play both leaders one after the other (some kind of double turn), anyone disagreeing with this simple idea ? As for the map, I wouldn't be against much water... archipelago anyone ? Maybe with fair-sized islands... Dunno.

BCLG100
03-10-2006, 02:34
didnt tubby already pick russia or am i reading wrong,

i really really wouldnt prefer archie.

continents or pangea or something with a couple of large landmasses.

Socrates
03-10-2006, 02:41
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

didnt tubby already pick russia or am i reading wrong,

Sorry, it was Robboo. [blush2]

As for the map, whatever you guys decide. Will we ask someone to create a well-drawn map ? [:p]

socralynnek
03-10-2006, 09:44
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

To ensure a fair pace, I propose we set up the game so that each player gets to play both leaders one after the other (some kind of double turn), anyone disagreeing with this simple idea ?

Pros: Is probably much faster.

Cons: Makes defending much harder.

Socrates
03-10-2006, 13:54
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

Cons: Makes defending much harder.

Sure, and therefore makes attacking much easier. Still, that leads to one interesting consequence : one should try to run both his empires as a whole, so as to protect #1 under attack with help from #2. Maybe we should have our 2 civs not very far from each other then ? Come to think of it, if we do that, that means that using your 2 civs to attack someone is even easier...

Tubby Rower
03-10-2006, 14:24
Here is the latest line up

Tubby -&gt; Russia
Robboo -&gt;
BCLG -&gt; Khans
krys -&gt; Frenchies
Socra -&gt; Chinese
Darkness -&gt; Germany
barbu -&gt; England (chosen by asking a workmate "Pick 1, 2, or 3" he picked 3.. so England it is)

that leaves America, India and <s>England</s>.

I am a bit tired of pangaea maps. Every massive MP has a pangeae. Since there won't be any tech trading, why not 8 islands with each player soley controling an island. I'll PM Sirian once we decide on a map style. I would also like barbs raging. Free experiece and the lucky people would get barb cities too (or they could be unlucky [hmm])

Other Rules to Discuss:
- city gifting is ok between civs? (I'm inclined to say as long as there is no wonder in it.)
- no diplo whatsoever (ie: "let's gang up on Tubby") except for severe taunting in the open thread once that opens up.

EDIT:: added barbu and his civ was chosen at relatively random out of the 3 remaining.

barbu1977
03-10-2006, 14:30
I'm willing to join this one. Any civ is fine.

BCLG100
03-10-2006, 16:59
Id say yes to gifting cities-leads to different ways the game can be played. But no to gifting cities just for the sake of using a wonder for a turn then gifting it back.

We should set it as always war.

If we're going with Islands-how about 4 islands with 2 different players on each island?

Tubby Rower
03-10-2006, 17:20
hmm.. do you really want 4 islands Simon?? I mean the guy paired with me will have a sizeable advantage over the rest of you lot. [lol]

BCLG100
03-10-2006, 19:11
just 8 islands will make for some highly defensive warfare whereas 4 islands could lead to an attacking fun :)

Socrates
03-10-2006, 20:03
One more fool and we're off !! [thumbsup]

OK, some thoughts :
- I reiterate my interest in a pelago map (Swimming Pool Starts Again ? [groucho] ). I think we could have main islands as starting places, and many small or tiny islands everywhere, for resources, choke points, etc... Could be fun with many ships all over the place. In the case of a pelago map, we could have 8 islands, one for each couple ; or 8 islands, each one of them harbouring 2 leaders from different players (hehe) ; or 4 islands ; or 16 islands. There are a few possibilities there. The mapmaker (our God, remember) could also decide to keep it as a surprise, after we tell him a general idea (ie. pelago map).
- Barbs : dunno. Maybe this will lead to unfair advantages. But I don't have much experience with the game, so I'm fine with barbs, raging or normal or with none.
- City gifting : I'd prefer to forbid any kind of those tricks (city gifting, unit gifting)... Too much trickey IMHO.
- No diplo : sounds good, since we are at Always War. Otherwise forget Always War, but I like it myself. That'd mean absolutely no talking to any foreign party during the whole game (except for making fun of someone in the general thread ;) ).

Just realised that Always War means no tech trading between players. Makes the game more straightforward, since all your research will come from your 2 leaders, and you'll have to make sure both get their part of the tech tree done (or it seems you can research the same tech and it adds up every turn : anyone can confirm ?). :)

Tubby Rower
03-10-2006, 20:24
yes... if you are in a permanent alliance (which this will be) you can combine research to get one tech quicker or go two seperate paths.

I'm fine with a peligo and letting the Almighty decide on how many islands, size, and resources. As long as he deems it as fair and no spots are significantly better than the others. I'm fine with no city gifting. Any barb setting is fine with me as well

BCLG100
03-10-2006, 20:30
yer it does krys.

I'd like the whole 2 civs per starting island but could go for the whole little islands dotted about for choke points etc.

Always war also means no WW.
Unit gifting should definatly be allowed imo.

Tubby Rower
03-10-2006, 21:22
no unit gifting. Doesn't make sense... the only reason to gift units is to gain the aggressive free promotion and that's a little exploit-ish. If you only have 1 aggressive leader, then no gifting. Anything else should be ok, but there is no need for it since you start off with open borders and they can defend each others territory

Socrates
03-10-2006, 23:04

Nice one. :D

Before we go any further, I assumed we will play with Vanilla 1.61, right ? Otherwise a cunning guy would take England and bring Churchill along... [crazyeye]

While we're waiting for a last player, let's talk about the other specs.

Difficulty : Relevant for tech pace only, maybe barbs ? Dunno, Monarch ? Or maybe harder, so that it takes longer to research, leading to more use of the same units.

Size : Standard or Large ? Large might be hell with many tiles revealed, at least on my PC. There will be 16 civs, yes, but only 8 players. Not sure.

Era : Ancient, I suppose.

Speed : Good question. Normal or Quick ? I'd prefer Normal, Quick is more for a MP night.

Climate, Sealevel : custom...

Options : Raging Barbarians (?), Permanent Alliances (inside each couple), Always War (between all couples)

Victories : all (?)

BCLG100
04-10-2006, 02:36
ah but units such as workers should be allowed to be gifted, thats why i was wanting unit gifting. (as im not sure whether they can be used in others territory)

Monarch will do, if we want more use out of units we can set the pace of the game at epic but i think we should stick with normal.

Tubby Rower
04-10-2006, 13:27
I'm fairly certain that workers can be used to improve territory in a perm ally's land.

As for krys's comments

- yes Vanilla 1.61 is all I have so it'll have to be that
- Difficulty : Monarch is fine with me..
- Size : Large most probably.. I hope that you run it on your machine....at least it's looking like it won't be a PTBS game ;)
- ERa : ancient yes
- Speed : Normal
- Climate : Custom but approximately in the middle
- Sealevel : custom but prefer low with galley crossings between islands. maybe only 2 per island so that you don't meet everyone right off
- Options: yes
- Victories: yes

Robi D
04-10-2006, 14:50
I would like to be part of this twin challenge if you will have me. I think the indians are the only ones left so i'm happy to take on the curry munchers.

Tubby Rower
04-10-2006, 15:26
Sure.. I always need more people to kick me in the backside [:p]

So now we need to hear back from Robboo to see if he is available now or if we have to wait or if he wants us to find another player.

America (George & Roosevelt)- Robboo (or replacement)
Mongolia (Kublai & Ghengis) - BCLG3001

I'll try to contact Sirian to see if he can be our god and create a world for us to fight upon.

Tubby Rower
04-10-2006, 15:42
Here is my PM to Sirian. The order of players that I sent was alphabetical order of the last letter (or character) of the Forum name.

Sirian,

over @ CDZ, we are planning a PBEM game for 8 people to have 2 leaders of the same civ each.

Mongolia (Kublai & Ghengis) - BCLG100
Russia (Pedro & Cathy) - Tubby Rower
France (Louis & Nappy) - kryszcztov

What we would like for a map is islands since most large MP games are usually pangeas. We would like to have one player (2 civs) on each island. Galley crossings to a couple of the other islands (but not all). If you think that it will be enough room on a standard then go with that size, but if you need a large map, then go for it.

- Vanilla 1.61
- Difficulty : Monarch
- ERa : ancient
- Sealevel : custom but prefer low with galley crossings between islands. maybe only 2 per island so that you don't meet everyone right off

If you can't make it, then that's fine, just let us know. btw, Here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3844&)is the thread @ CDZ.

Thanks,
Tubby

socralynnek
04-10-2006, 15:49
It would have been nice if you had spelt my nickname correctly, Tuby Rowr! ;)

About unit & city gifting: I'm fine with any of the rules you guys make, as long at it is clear. But maybe we could just say: no unit gifting and no city gifting s.t. it will be a little harder and the not so clever players get punished...

Robi D
04-10-2006, 16:49
Here's your chance for payback Comrade Tubby:D

Also i think its a good idea to have a civs play after one another to speed up play

Tubby Rower
04-10-2006, 17:47
sorry SocceryNick I'll wurk on my speeling [:p]

I would rather no gifting whatsoever.

And Robi... you'll have to wait in line behind robboo to get your butt kicked ;)

Robboo
04-10-2006, 17:58
sweat i was going to ask for america

HEY OK if its a PBEM I will do my best to keep my absence down to a few days.. You may not even know i am gone.

Socrates
04-10-2006, 18:45

- Size : Large most probably.. I hope that you run it on your machine....at least it's looking like it won't be a PTBS game ;)
There will be no problem for me in the early stages of the game. It will become slower and slower while more and more tiles are discovered. But I've just had one thought : since it's Always War, no map will be traded, and so you'll have to make all your exploration by yourself, which will lead to less tiles explored at any point in time. Thus, the game will slow down less than usual, ie. goody goody. :)

quote:- Sealevel : custom but prefer low with galley crossings between islands. maybe only 2 per island so that you don't meet everyone right off

I think it's a better idea to have the same possibilities for everyone regarding everyone. Either allow early contact from any civ to any other, either disallow it entirely, but something inbetween isn't that fair. I'd propose the same number of sea tiles at every important chokepoint.

quote:The order of players that I sent was alphabetical order of the last letter (or character) of the Forum name.
Next time I'll think twice before choosing a louzy forum name. :D Will I be the only one to watch barb moves, like in Civ3 ?

If we change anything regarding the game, we'll also have to PM to Sirian or any other God again. BTW, no problem with being last, but I'd rather be named "krys" (lower case) in the game.

Tubby Rower
04-10-2006, 18:57
I think that you can change all of your details in the game after it starts. so that's not a biggie. And I hope Sirian would check in here for passwords and such, so if he comes back with the affirmative for making the map, then we can let him know any changes then...

RE: sea level... My thoughts on that was to not have everyone meet everyone right off. But it would also suck to not be able to attack until galleons. So a coast crossing every so often wouldn't hurt too bad. But it would be hard to have everyone with immediate access to everyone else. This is a crude drawing of what I'm talking about. And it doesn't have to be 2... it could be 3 or 4.. just so that everyone has an equal chance to either stomp or be stomped [python]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/200610417562_Image1.gif
4.13 KB

socralynnek
04-10-2006, 19:09
to make naval warfare one could make a ring of mountains arund each island (3 tiles from coast or so) with just 2 or 3 chokes.

Robi D
07-10-2006, 05:09
Crude is an understatement Tubby:D but i see what your saying. I think is a good idea

BCLG100
07-10-2006, 06:27
tubs is away so i think we're gonna have to sit on this for a few days, unless he sent a PM to sirian/anyone :)

Robboo
07-10-2006, 07:09
If it sits till late Monday/Tuesday I will be out of Civ till next Sat or Sunday. Just be forwarned I doubt it will get started before that. Please dont skip me or remove me....

socralynnek
07-10-2006, 10:11
As far as I have understood, Tubby already sent a PM to Sirian, but I don't know if he will see that as, at least for me, notification mails are not working.

Tubby Rower
10-10-2006, 13:16
Yes I did send a PM to Sirian.. and thus sayeth the lord

quote: Re: Map creation?
I don't think I can do this this week. If there's no rush, I might be able to see about next weekend.

- Sirian

So that will line up perfectly with Robboo being a slacker and not being around until next Saturday or sunday.

Robi D
10-10-2006, 14:09
Sounds good to me

Darkness
10-10-2006, 15:50

Yes I did send a PM to Sirian.. and thus sayeth the lord

quote: Re: Map creation?
I don't think I can do this this week. If there's no rush, I might be able to see about next weekend.

- Sirian

So that will line up perfectly with Robboo being a slacker and not being around until next Saturday or sunday.

Excellent. Especially considering I will be away from thursday until sunday. :)

Robboo
14-10-2006, 17:01
I am back...this slacker just moved to a great house, got a great job to boot....oh and my new internet is flying super fast.

I now can say i go fishign for a living..i get to drive around the state electro-shocking rivers/lakes and collecting the fish and other animals. What a great job. oh and Tubby...I am now an employee of LSU. Full time permanent research asscociate.(Aquatic Ecologist). teh best part is they will pay for my education if i decide to go further.

BCLG100
14-10-2006, 18:44
nice rob now get an avatar!

Tubby Rower
14-10-2006, 22:45
LSU still sucks even though you bring them up slightly [:p]

Whomp
15-10-2006, 00:53
Yeah what they said.

Tubby Rower
15-10-2006, 03:11
Where is Sirian..?? hmm.. this God-thing might be getting to his head [lol] I just hope it takes him the 6 days that I believe to make the world (custom built) instead of the billions of years of chance that the schools teach (rolling starts and it never being right) [:p]

Robi D
17-10-2006, 14:49

Where is Sirian..?? hmm.. this God-thing might be getting to his head [lol] I just hope it takes him the 6 days that I believe to make the world (custom built) instead of the billions of years of chance that the schools teach (rolling starts and it never being right) [:p]

Well if we work on the 7 day god thing he should be creating man right about now

Robi D
23-10-2006, 14:14
Any word from our creator? If Sirian is busy maybe we should find a plan B

Tubby Rower
23-10-2006, 14:17
hmm.. apparently I'm not good at recruiting a god. Anybody else that you guys can think of that we could get to make us a battle world?

EDIT:: let me PM Sirian one more time.

Robi D
24-10-2006, 15:12
Does Rik do civ 4 maps? He could be a substitue god

Tubby Rower
24-10-2006, 15:28
no response from Sirian. will persue Rik...

Rik Meleet
24-10-2006, 15:52
Not me - I have no knowledge of mapmaking in Civ4.
What about DaveShack? He's done Civ4 maps IIRC.

Tubby Rower
24-10-2006, 15:52
PM has been dispatched to the Shack of Dave

barbu1977
24-10-2006, 16:13
Akots as also done a couple IICR

Tubby Rower
24-10-2006, 16:24
sent to akots as well. Apparently the god position isn't a desirable job prospect. :(

Socrates
24-10-2006, 16:32

Apparently the god position isn't a desirable job prospect. :(

That is what happens on a (mostly) atheist or agnostic forum. ;)

akots
24-10-2006, 20:35
Please post an official map request in the Mapmaking forum since I don't get it from the thread, I mean what do you want exactly from the game. And let me think about it then. IMHO, you have way too many players for a PBEM here which is eight. It would die probably around turn 50 or so. ;)

Socrates
24-10-2006, 21:17
quote:Originally posted by akots

Please post an official map request in the Mapmaking forum since I don't get it from the thread, I mean what do you want exactly from the game. And let me think about it then. IMHO, you have way too many players for a PBEM here which is eight. It would die probably around turn 50 or so. ;)

But you know, akots, we just want to play 50 turns or so, because they are the only interesting part of the game, and then we want to compare our positions and rank ourselves according to that. At least that's what I understood. ;)

BTW, I want to be named "krys" (minor key) in the game. Thank you.

Tubby Rower
24-10-2006, 21:27
ok could anyone write up a formal map request? or do I have to do it? I'm not good at formal stuff

Tubby Rower
24-10-2006, 21:37
Official Request below... I'll post to map making forum later. Please critique now.

[u]The Players</u> - have the civs for each player go back to back
Mongolia (Kublai & Ghengis) - BCLG
China (Mao & Qin) - Socralynnek
America (George & Roosevelt) - Robboo
France (Louis & Nappy) - Krys
England (Vicky & Elizabeth) - barbu

[u]Map Settings</u>
- Civ4 Vanilla 1.61
- Size : Large
- Sealevel : custom but prefer low with galley crossings between islands. maybe only 2 per island so that you don't meet everyone right offsee below
- Options: Raging Barbarians, Permanent Alliances (inside each couple), Always War (between all couples)
- Victories: all

[u]Sea Level explanation</u>
My thoughts on that was to not have everyone meet everyone right off. But it would also suck to not be able to attack until galleons. So a coast crossing every so often wouldn't hurt too bad. But it would be hard to have everyone with immediate access to everyone else. This is a crude drawing of what I'm talking about. And it doesn't have to be 2... it could be 3 or 4.. just so that everyone has an equal chance to either stomp or be stomped [python]

4.13 KB
My thoughts on that was to not have everyone meet everyone right off. But it would also suck to not be able to attack until galleons. So a coast crossing every so often wouldn't hurt too bad. But it would be hard to have everyone with immediate access to everyone else. This is a crude drawing of what I'm talking about. And it doesn't have to be 2... it could be 3 or 4.. just so that everyone has an equal chance to either stomp or be stomped [python]

4.13 KB

akots
24-10-2006, 21:47
You do realize that this map if ever will be made, has to be completely drawn from scratch since there is nothing even remotely resembling it in the map scripts. That is a major effort. I might take it but please do not expect any swift results. Can take a week or more.

BCLG100
25-10-2006, 02:09
Could we not make it pangea to make it easier for the map maker?

Tubby Rower
25-10-2006, 04:06
yes.. pangaea would be fine with me

BCLG100
25-10-2006, 04:08
just maybe have the 2 civs next to each other, would that take as much work? Perhaps in a ring setup?

Robi D
25-10-2006, 10:40
You could you the wagonwheel map as a base except you wouldn't have the land bridges or the middle continent. If not pangea would be fine

Tubby Rower
25-10-2006, 13:47
Sirian is definately out. I just got this message this morning.quote:I hate to bail on you, but the delays involved are related to my father having a massive stroke a few weeks ago. It's not that I don't have the time, but I don't have the focus. Already too many things going on in my head to add more. If I remember what you wanted, almost anybody who can operate the Worldbuilder correctly can produce what you need.

Good luck with it.

- Sirian

Wagon wheel would be good... Just create a map with only the 8 civs and then add the extra civ nearby. That shouldn't be too time consuming.

socralynnek
25-10-2006, 13:51
Or create an island map with 8 islands and then add the sea bridges.

Robi D
25-10-2006, 15:39
I did a bit of an experiment, With 8 areas on a large wheel map (low sealevel) it would give room for 8 to 10 cities in each area, so that shouldn't need too much effort to customise for our needs, just shifting some resources and adding a second civ on each island.

Socrates
25-10-2006, 16:58
Too bad about Sirian, but we'll do it nonetheless. I'd be happy with a map involving much water (be it a pelago map or another kind of map with coasts), but really, any good and balanced map is OK with me. Just, may our God take his time, as I'd prefer to have an excellent map and wait more than just a fair map immediately. No rush, we're in for a long time.

Robboo
26-10-2006, 04:55
who ever does it....take your time with the map. we waited this long a week more is a drop in the bucket.

/Hmmmmm I have been practicing a new tactic that have been meanign to try with my two civs...bwhahahha.

Socrates
26-10-2006, 10:14
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

/Hmmmmm I have been practicing a new tactic that have been meanign to try with my two civs...bwhahahha.

Damnit ! I gotta practice a tactic with my 2 civs as well... Yeah, a tactic, a cool one... Well, I know none. [cry]

Robi D
26-10-2006, 12:14

who ever does it....take your time with the map. we waited this long a week more is a drop in the bucket.

Both civs getting crushed symmetrically perhaps.:D

Let the war of words begin[charge]

Tubby Rower
26-10-2006, 13:13
quote:Originally posted by Robi D

Both civs getting crushed symmetrically perhaps.:D

Let the war of words begin[charge]
awwwww crap!! I've already lost :(

IglooDude
26-10-2006, 15:20
Hey, is it too late to get in on this? For such consideration I'd be willing to donate a pitboss server to the cause.

socralynnek
26-10-2006, 15:29
IglooDude could play as the Indians...no the other ones, I mean: Monty and Huayna....they are somehow also one Civilization with different UUs...

BCLG100
26-10-2006, 19:02
well if ID is supplying the server then we could just give him 2 random civs...

Tubby Rower
26-10-2006, 19:12
I'd be fine with it. especially if a PTBS game it will be. That would definately speed up the game a bit. One drawback to the pitboss thingie is that we'd have to log in twice to the game, unless someone has a way to get around this.

BCLG100
26-10-2006, 19:15
no but can we do it on a standard map then if were logging in twice.

overload has a nice little auto loggerinner though-not used it yet like

Socrates
26-10-2006, 19:37
Never used PitBoss. Is it easy to use it when you have a life (work, school...) ? [crazyeye] Any special difference with a PBEM ? I'm asking because, if I find out PitBoss isn't my thing, I should retire.

Tubby Rower
26-10-2006, 19:53
no it's simpler mainly because you don't have the pressure of everyone waiting on you. But the turns usually have to be played every day. I have a life (ie: kids, wife threatening to break my civ CD, hobbies and a job) and I was playing 2 PTBS games every morning before work.

you log in, play your turn, then get out. no saving, no sending, <s>no life</s> I mean life happens.

BCLG100
26-10-2006, 19:53
pitboss is really easy to use krys, you just type the ip into the direct ip connection box and hey presto your in the game, the only person that needs the pitboss program is the host, it basically enables quicker turn turn arounds (turn timer normally set for 24 hours) so a game can get finished within a few years- players civs which do drop out can also be converted to the AI if no replacement can be found menaing the game should always be able to go on :)

barbu1977
26-10-2006, 20:06
I'm fine with the bitboss.

BCLG100
26-10-2006, 20:32
what did shabba call it in another thread 'pitlord'?

Socrates
27-10-2006, 00:47
Hmm... Might try it then.

But is the first to log on for a certain turn also the first to move his units, like in simulatenous moves ? I don't like this feature, but if it's needed for the game to pass the turn-50 mark... ;)

IglooDude
27-10-2006, 00:50
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

Hmm... Might try it then.

But is the first to log on for a certain turn also the first to move his units, like in simulatenous moves ? I don't like this feature, but if it's needed for the game to pass the turn-50 mark... ;)

Yes, it is move order in order of login order, for each turn. Sometimes there are rules against double moves (A moves then B, then B and then A on the next turn - B has doublemoved) and sometimes there aren't.

BCLG100
27-10-2006, 01:16
i dont mind either way i just assume double moves are part and parcel of playing pitboss

Robboo
27-10-2006, 02:53
pitboss is fine.. If you are permanet aligned..can you manipulate both with one password.

Robboo
27-10-2006, 03:00
Oh and Robi....whats taking you so long killing me in the PBEM..must be some sort of tactics that your supperior troops and numbers cant over come till now like 1000 years since you had control.

Robi D
27-10-2006, 17:10
I'm sorry robboo, i didn't realise i was on a deadline, but i make it quick if you wish

Tubby Rower
27-10-2006, 17:17
well since I suck at MP games and need a civ to help me out as a crutch [blush], does anyone want to ally from the beginning.

Robboo
27-10-2006, 23:02
sure tubby

BCLG100
28-10-2006, 03:38
i thought we had decided that everyone was at war with everyone else?

Robboo
28-10-2006, 04:18
always war? or just no allinaces?

Shouldnt Tubby knwo thsi since he started thsi game

BCLG100
28-10-2006, 04:26
always war- it saves on the WW.

Tubby Rower
28-10-2006, 14:10
yes aleays war .. I was being funny... apparently not good enough material [:p]

DaveShack
29-10-2006, 01:14
Got the PM, wish this forum sent emails when PMs arrive like some others I frequent... ;)
Now I'll go check the mapmaking forum to see if it's already been delivered.

Edit: Hasn't been posted in the mapmaking forum, so obviously hasn't been picked up there...

Do y'all want this set up as teams instead of permanent alliances? When playing 2 civs as a team, you share techs and resources without having to make deals with yourself, and both civs can research the same tech at double speed if that's what you want to do.

In the meantime, I'll see what the WB will do, and will also hold off to see if Akots is already doing it, or not.

DaveShack
29-10-2006, 02:54
Followup question, do you want the 2 civs on each team to be adjacent, or separated? Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, especially if the separated placements are fairly random.

Tubby Rower
29-10-2006, 03:49
the teams that you describe is what we want. also the teams should be permanently at war with each other. And yes the two civs should be adjacent.

Robi D
29-10-2006, 05:51
[cheerl]Yay progress:D

The one good thing about AW is that no one can complain they were[backstab]

Socrates
29-10-2006, 12:42

The one good thing about AW is that no one can complain they were[backstab]

Yes, that's for sure. But in the beginning, we'll all be in a general state of phoney war, of course, so we'd better watch out if someone will attack us or not. The really good thing about this Always War option for me is the absence of war weariness for every player. [goodjob] I remember one PBEM where I suffered from it because I felt declaring war (this was against Stapel) was necessary.

akots
29-10-2006, 23:36
quote:Originally posted by DaveShack
... will also hold off to see if Akots is already doing it, or not.

I always try to do what I have promised to do. But if you wish some other mapmaker, you are always wellcome to find an alternative. Also, my computer does not handle large size maps very well in World builder, so you would spare me a lot of time by actually withdrawing the map request right now and giving it to another mapmaker. :)

This map would be very difficult to make and I'm not sure it can be done on the Pangea map. I might suggest three possibilities:

Wheel script, Hub script, and still may be continents script. Also, it might be better to do this on a standard size map (have to try that) and not on a large size map. But really, I don't know, it is up to you to decide.

akots
29-10-2006, 23:38

Edit: Hasn't been posted in the mapmaking forum, so obviously hasn't been picked up there...

Well, if you say so then it is. ;)

Tubby Rower
30-10-2006, 13:04
I'm not picky about the shape of the land. whatever you decide is fine with me.

A standard sized map would make for a quicker game.

BCLG100
30-10-2006, 14:40
id much prefer standard, runs on my machine better and equals more war :D

IglooDude
31-10-2006, 02:44
And let's keep in mind that the box that'll be running the pitboss (if indeed it isn't PBEM) is a itty bitty P-III 500MHz laptop with 256MB RAM or thereabouts.

BCLG100
31-10-2006, 03:03
is it bad that it probably is still better than my pc??? :(

barbu1977
31-10-2006, 05:23
and standard will take less time to load...

Darkness
31-10-2006, 10:00
standard please...

DaveShack
31-10-2006, 21:14

... will also hold off to see if Akots is already doing it, or not.

I always try to do what I have promised to do.

Sorry, your previous reply seemed uncertain. Since you did reply first, you get first dibs. Please confirm if you want to make it or not. :D

The hardest part seems to be placing the teamed civs together.

IglooDude
31-10-2006, 21:30
Are you able to add the Incans/Mayans into the mix as well? [please]

Tubby Rower
31-10-2006, 21:42
yes please.. DS or akots, add igloo as a pair of Native American civs

Robi D
01-11-2006, 12:19
quote:Originally posted by IglooDude

That sounds good, except Mayans arn't in civ4

Darkness
01-11-2006, 12:38

So, make it Incans and Aztecs then... ;)

IglooDude
01-11-2006, 12:46
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

So, make it Incans and Aztecs then... ;)

Well at least I didn't say Iroquois, right? [blush2]

IglooDude
03-11-2006, 16:01
Any ETA on the game starting, so that I know when I need to bring the pitboss machine online?

And I'm assuming we're starting with the patched warlords version from the start?

Tubby Rower
03-11-2006, 16:06
no warlords... it will be vanilla 1.61 or I can't play. I think that akots said that the end of this weekend was the target.

akots
03-11-2006, 17:58
I also thought what Tubs said.

barbu1977
03-11-2006, 18:06
Vanilla for me please.

IglooDude
03-11-2006, 18:19
Vanilla it is, then.

akots
03-11-2006, 18:26
@IglooDude:

So, how do we start the game then? I can create WBS file, test it and then you launch PBoss with it? Or I create a save on turn 2 and you then load it? I'm not sure I can create a save which would be compatible with PBoss.

Please then pm me your e-mail so that I can send WBS file there.

Tubby Rower
03-11-2006, 19:29
I think that PBEM's can be converted to PTBS

IglooDude
03-11-2006, 19:59
email address sent to Akots.

Tubby Rower
03-11-2006, 20:21
so does this mean that it will start soon?

Socrates
03-11-2006, 21:38
So, could someone make a summary for this game ? How many players are we, what are the specs, etc... ?

Tubby Rower
03-11-2006, 21:44
this is what I sent to sirian.. I wasn't able to find my request to akots.

civs and players
Mongolia (Kublai & Ghengis) - BCLG100
Russia (Pedro & Cathy) - Tubby Rower
France (Louis & Nappy) - kryszcztov
Redskins (Aztecs & Incans) - Igloodude

other map info
- Vanilla 1.61
- Sealevel : I think that we ended up with a hub style map
-

Robboo
03-11-2006, 22:09
remove replacement...I am in this for good now.

Socrates
03-11-2006, 23:14
Hey, looks like we're 9 of us now... Any idea if Igloodude will get 2 different UUs ?

barbu1977
03-11-2006, 23:26
I guess he will get 2 UU, I think we forgot this detail.

IglooDude
03-11-2006, 23:42
Eeep, so did I. I promise to only build one of the two UUs.

Socrates
04-11-2006, 00:39
Well, we chose to play an 8-player game on purpose : to have the 8 double civs. So if someone is going to have 2 different civs, he should have his civs modified to get the same UU at least (either the Aztec one or the Incan one). Don't know if there is something else...

Tubby Rower
04-11-2006, 01:18
I'm willing to bend on this one since akots has apparently finished with the WBS file and igloodude is kind enough to host this game.. If it's no big deal, then that's great. If akots is done with this, then I'm fine with that too.

Darkness
04-11-2006, 01:33

I'm willing to bend on this one since akots has apparently finished with the WBS file and igloodude is kind enough to host this game.. If it's no big deal, then that's great. If akots is done with this, then I'm fine with that too.

Me too... :)

Robboo
04-11-2006, 01:54
No problem with me if he promises to only build one.

No problems if he builds both except its a slight disadvantage.

So this is going to be pitboss??

akots
04-11-2006, 02:21
I'm not finished with WBS. Indeed, I have barely started since I cannot clearly decide on which script will be used and have to do extensive playtesting in hotseat. I have cleared my schedule for tomorrow and will devote a few hours for playtesting.

Regarding Inca+Aztec, it can be both Inca or both Aztec. I'll see if it can be done with Aztec or Inca having two leaders with corresponding traits. IMHO, this can be done in vanilla and it would then solve the problem of 2 UUs. Otherwise, I don't see how this problem can be solved because there is no way not to build warriors and they become kechua automatically in case of Inca and if Aztec promise not to build Jaguar, then they cannot build swordsman at all. Now, swordsman is a pretty dull unit in MP anyhow so this would mean that the other UU has to be kechua as well and it will not work because Aztec cannot build kechua. To put it short, I would let the Native American Redskin hybrid build both UU without any restrictions. Especially considering that Jaguars are pretty bad and suck big imho.

On a clear thought, it might be a good idea to make it a hub map or may be great plains map with some mountain passages to get more land there. All I have to do is balance the starting areas. Also, I will put settler/warrior/scout pairs for both civs into one tile or into adjacent tiles so that none of the double civs gets any advantage here. Also, imho, it might be better to keep the goody huts and not to modify the map alot, just probably need to add more resources. Anyhow, you might like it or not, it is up to me to make the balance. So, please, trust me on this, I'm going to playtest that up until probably around Calendar to see that it is working OK.

Robi D
04-11-2006, 05:30
That all sounds good to me.

As far as the 2 uu's, i don't think its too big a deal, because only half of ID's cities will be able to build a particlaur uu, where the rest of us can build our uu's in any city. At the end of the day it balances out

IglooDude
04-11-2006, 14:48
akots,
As far as I'm concerned, do whatever you feel is best/easiest with the Inca/Aztec - as you say neither UU is particularly scary, and I'm okay with whatever traits end up in there. I'd be happy to voluntarily restrict myself to one or the other, in any case.

Socrates
04-11-2006, 16:00

As far as the 2 uu's, i don't think its too big a deal, because only half of ID's cities will be able to build a particlaur uu, where the rest of us can build our uu's in any city. At the end of the day it balances out

I disagree with this remark. Because Civ4 heavily focuses on unit diversity, that's one of the main differences with the other Civs. Just waiting for akots to tell us what he could do.

socralynnek
04-11-2006, 17:23
akots, do as you wish, I'm convinced you get it balanced! If not you, than no one else gets it balanced! Thanks!

DaveShack
04-11-2006, 22:46

@IglooDude:

So, how do we start the game then? I can create WBS file, test it and then you launch PBoss with it? Or I create a save on turn 2 and you then load it? I'm not sure I can create a save which would be compatible with PBoss.

Please then pm me your e-mail so that I can send WBS file there.

If it works the same as PBEM, you can send the WBS file, and IglooDude can launch the pitboss using "new scenario". I'm fairly certain, but have not actually done it myself.

akots
04-11-2006, 22:49
It is possible to change leader versus civ, for example make Catherine Mongolian (keshik) but UUs are apparently hardcored with civ and there is no way to change it for MP unless in a mod. So, it seems that Redskins can be changed to Inca+Inca while having 2 different leaders: Capac and Monty to provide for traits. Trait provide for building bonuses, so there is no problem here.

It will most certainly be a hub map with more land added manually otherwise, there is room for only 3 cities for each civ on a standard map. Also, tech pace will be very high because of map size and because of fixed alliance, so just to make sure everyone realizes that.

Robi D
05-11-2006, 03:40
I don't think anyone will complain about a fast pace. I would expect a winner before half the turns are done.

Tubby Rower
05-11-2006, 04:05
I want a long slow death... ah nevermind.. just give me a matrix style death...[doomsol]

[lol]

akots
05-11-2006, 09:33
Have no idea, it is up to you guys. I could not find enough strength to playtest it to calendar, so just playtested a little bit. 18 civs is a lot of civs. Anyhow, WBS, PBEM save 2, and all other game info is ready and had been sent to IglooDude to start the game. Hopefully he will succeed with that. Passwords will be pm'ed shortly to everyone. Good luck, have fun and keep the spoilers running please. I sincerely hope this game will not die.

Game info:
1. RobiD India Asoka/Gandhi
2. Ynnek China Mao/Qin
3. Darkness Germany Bismark/Fred
4. krys France Lou/Nappy
5. Tubby Russia Catherine/Peter
6. Robboo America FDR/Washington
7. barbu England Beth/Victoria
8. IglooDude Redskin-Inca Capac/Monty
9. BCLG Mongols Kublai/Genghis

Map hub, heavily edited. Speed normal, difficulty Monarch, size Standard, all other options default. All victory types enabled.

IglooDude
05-11-2006, 13:57
Thanks very much, akots.

I need to go into the office to fire this up, so unfortunately it won't be available for another day.

Robboo
05-11-2006, 14:47
YIPEEE....
Thanks akots and ID for hosting. Thanks to Tubby for coming up with this very intersting variant. OK now that thats over with...no more nice talking to anyone.

BCLG100
05-11-2006, 15:12
akots has it been set as always war?

akots
05-11-2006, 18:53

akots has it been set as always war?

No, it is not always war, all other options of the game are default.

BCLG100
06-11-2006, 02:15
oh, anyone any ideas of what we can do now?

Socrates
06-11-2006, 02:29

No, it is not always war, all other options of the game are default.

I thought we had to have permanent alliances inside each combo and always war between all combos ?

Also, could we get a specific name for this game please ? So as to not stumble upon someone else's spoiler... [mischief]

socralynnek
06-11-2006, 02:37
How about?

"What's better than beating up a French? Beating up two French!"

If it is too much work to change the save again, could we then just go to a "no deals"-rule?

BCLG100
06-11-2006, 04:23
its not so much that im worried about making deals etc but that WW will begin to play an important factor, in always war i dont think there is any.

ive just been referring to it as the 2 civs game, maybe cdz 2 civs game?

akots
06-11-2006, 04:29
Are you all sure about that? Because it is a different game with NoTechTrading and AlwaysWar. It is not a big deal to make another save or IglooDude can start the game himself from WBS I've sent to him with these options checked. Just make up your mind.

socralynnek
06-11-2006, 04:29
"CDZ-2-in-1" ?

WW will only be a poblem when you are at war then...we could make a "no war" rule ;)

socralynnek
06-11-2006, 04:32
akots: we were already positive about the "always war" option.
so, it would be great if you'd make another file!

akots
06-11-2006, 05:56
And what about TechTrading? I'm not sure how this would affect the relationships within the team. However, since you won't be able to make peace here, then there is no big deal because you won't be able to trade techs.

akots
06-11-2006, 07:51
OK, never mind, AlwaysWar game had been restarted and recreated save sent to IglooDude. If there are problems, it can be restarted again.

Darkness
06-11-2006, 11:46
So, Igloo, could you please PM me the IP adress of this game. It seems like we're ready to start. :)

Robi D
06-11-2006, 12:55
Excellent! Good work akots[beer1]

I suppose I should look at getting my own forum setup for spoilers:D

Also there is an article about WW at the CFC, i pretty sure its in the war acadamy, but for memeory have all humans reduces it by 25% and having AW reduces it by 50%, so i don't think it will be a major issue in this game, survival will be

Tubby Rower
06-11-2006, 14:29
has this started?? I'm not sure what the IP address of the game is. I did get a PM from akots for my password.

thanks a heap akots for your effort and for dealing with a bunch of wishy-washy people

Robi D
06-11-2006, 14:53
ID hasn't sent an IP so it hasn't started but the map is ready so we are ready to go

Socrates
06-11-2006, 15:25
I was told that Always War made so that we never experience any war weariness. [hmm] Not ? Because that is the consequence I like about Always War (that and the fact that everyone will have to search every tech by themselves).

IglooDude
06-11-2006, 15:42
I'll PM everyone the game IP as soon as the game is up and available (in the next few hours, looks like) and I'll post in here at the same time.

socralynnek
06-11-2006, 15:47
BTW which timer limit do we use? 22 hours like in the other game? That would be fine with me as any other setting.

BCLG100
06-11-2006, 15:55
robi, request in site feedback for a forum, someone will get round to it soonish, if you spam the threads lots like mauer then they do it quicker!

IglooDude
06-11-2006, 22:25

OK, never mind, AlwaysWar game had been restarted and recreated save sent to IglooDude. If there are problems, it can be restarted again.

I've got it going, but it isn't showing a turn timer?

And my score is showing as 19 while everyone else is at 13. Not that I mind, but why would that be?

I'll PM everyone the IP as soon as we figure out the turn timer bit - if I give everyone the IP now you'll all try connecting and then get confused if we have to restart...[hmm]

akots
07-11-2006, 01:45
I've got it going, but it isn't showing a turn timer?

And my score is showing as 19 while everyone else is at 13. Not that I mind, but why would that be?

I'll PM everyone the IP as soon as we figure out the turn timer bit - if I give everyone the IP now you'll all try connecting and then get confused if we have to restart...[hmm]

No idea about turn timer, it is not something one can set up at PBEM game obviously.

Your score is higher because you have an extra tech iirc since your civ is a fusion of 2 leaders from different civs. IMHO, it is OK. I tried to edit that out but it only resulted in even more glitches like your units randomly appearing in various parts of the map. I tried to chase them down but they kept reappearing every time the game is restarted.

BCLG100
07-11-2006, 02:24
could you not just set the turn timer ID in the same way people can change the timer midgame?

Robi D
07-11-2006, 07:45

robi, request in site feedback for a forum, someone will get round to it soonish, if you spam the threads lots like mauer then they do it quicker!

thank i will do that... eventually

IglooDude
07-11-2006, 13:03

could you not just set the turn timer ID in the same way people can change the timer midgame?

Yeah, I'll do that this morning.

Tubby Rower
07-11-2006, 13:13
Robi you have a present from the other <s>spammers</s> memembers here in your new shiny forum

Tubby Rower
08-11-2006, 19:19
any news igloo?

Tubby Rower
11-11-2006, 01:38
[bump] bumpity bump bump bump

IglooDude
11-11-2006, 02:48
I haven't gotten to it, sorry - tomorrow morning is what I'm swinging for.

Tubby Rower
11-11-2006, 02:58
that's fine.. jsut wanted to pad my post count... and if we got the status of the game then that's a bonus.

I also wanted to make sure that you guys weren't on turn 26 and my poor settler is twiddling his thumbs

Robboo
11-11-2006, 03:00
sorry to tell you tubby...your settler died bravely. :)

BCLG100
11-11-2006, 05:38
i have a shiny new worker :)

Robi D
11-11-2006, 12:08

that's fine.. jsut wanted to pad my post count...

trying to make up for the lack of hair eh?

BCLG100
11-11-2006, 16:05
now your confusin whomps and tubs.... tubs still has his comeover

Tubby Rower
11-11-2006, 19:03
I'm thinking of shaving it completely... I've never had a comeover and actually make fun of people who do have one. There is this one guy at work that has his bangs down to his nipples and pulls them back into a pony tail to cover his bald spot. He, my friend, is in denial.

Robboo
11-11-2006, 21:07
what I want to know if how you know they go down to his nipples... yall do alot of bare chested stuff at work?

Tubby Rower
11-11-2006, 23:20
yeah.. that way the radiation doesn't soak into our clothes. [lol]

Robboo
12-11-2006, 00:40
no wonder he is bald and your heading that way....

I guess you dont need to turn on the lights at night.

BTW....I am doing research on the fish upstream and downstream form the nuke power plant here. Some sort of Federally mandated background radiation stuff. We only collect the fish and send them to a lab somewheres.

We bought some glow in the dark paint during halloween and after the next sampling trip we are painting some extra fish to screw with my boss who is a bit twitchy with radiation. We are going to leave them in the lab with the lights off when we know he is coming in. I came up with the plan on the second day on the job when i found out about his fear of the nuke plant.

Robi D
12-11-2006, 12:10

now your confusin whomps and tubs.... tubs still has his comeover

comb overs dont count in my book. It just a sign of desperation. The next step is the spray on stuff:D

BCLG100
12-11-2006, 17:28
i'm just glad ive got my lush head of hair!

Tubby Rower
13-11-2006, 03:25
I have very little hair and no combover... soon I'll shave it completely bald and will post a picture once I do.

BCLG100
13-11-2006, 05:12
ooooooo and then you and whomp can meet up and blind pilots as they fly overhead!

Robi D
13-11-2006, 08:27
As interesting as tubby's hair (or lack of) is, are we starting soon.

Tubby Rower
13-11-2006, 13:24
Igloo apparently has work that actually pays him... so I guess that comes first.

Darkness
13-11-2006, 15:01
Damn, you guys just have an endless supply of spam ready, don't you? ;)

Tubby Rower
13-11-2006, 15:36
no we'll run out eventually... then we'll likely borrow some from Paal... Now HE has an endless supply.

IglooDude
13-11-2006, 15:57

Igloo apparently has work that actually pays him... so I guess that comes first.

Not only do they pay me, it is their machine that this is running on, their electricity, and their (quad-T1) internet pipe via which we all access it.

But apologies, it has taken too long. Can someone help me out and link to whatever utility I'm to use in putting a 22hr clock turn limit in the save?

BCLG100
13-11-2006, 16:27
ill have a look at cfc but dont be too hopefull my computer abilities are around the same level as a no armed man

Robi D
14-11-2006, 14:46
Ok i was just checking, no pressure :)
Plus i figured it was a good way to build up the post count

Robboo
14-11-2006, 15:05
spam is alwasy a good way to build up post count

IglooDude
14-11-2006, 19:01
It is up - I think. I've PMed the IP address to everyone, please log in for your first turn, which will be 3920BC. 22 hour turn just started.

Any problems (or if everything works properly), please post here.

I'll get a Civstats link going as soon as things look okay.

Tubby Rower
14-11-2006, 19:05
thread will close.. new topic Here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3946) In the open thread forum

BCLG100
14-11-2006, 19:18
kill joy tubby [:p]

Darkness
14-11-2006, 21:38

thread will close.. new topic Here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3946) In the open thread forum

OK, closed... :)