PDA

View Full Version : A big nail in the Windoze coffin

Beam
30-09-2006, 19:21
[party] [dance] [wave]

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/2381/Screenshot.jpg

C3C runs very smooth under Unbuntu Linux with Cedega making it think it is in Windoze, Civ IV runs pretty smooth as well but has occasional crashes (but less than 10 in a game I played on through 2050). With some more tweaking / testing it should be able to run it more stable.

Right now I've got almost all functionality up and running needed on a daily base. So Browser, e-Mail, chat, MM players, burners and more shit but most important Civ! All is legally free except Cedega which requires a mandatory subscription for 3 months at $15. After that it is free to use but no updates and support.

After installing Ubuntu all of this took less than a week.

Windoze gets fist in arse.

Shabbaman
30-09-2006, 19:36
So you're almost back in business, hurray!

Beam
30-09-2006, 19:55
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

So you're almost back in business, hurray!

And basically Windoze free. :D

grs
30-09-2006, 20:15
[sarcasm on]I don't think people needing one week to make a linux system work like a windows one will even be a splinter of windows' coffin.[sarcasm off]

BCLG100
30-09-2006, 20:19
and so what was the point in all this? (coming from the computer illiterate)

Beam
30-09-2006, 20:49
quote:Originally posted by grs

[sarcasm on]I don't think people needing one week to make a linux system work like a windows one will even be a splinter of windows' coffin.[sarcasm off]

First of all I'm a complete n00b to Linux and experienced users definetely will need less time to install a Linux distro, find out how to install native apps, tweak settings like screen refresh rate, find out what app to install for things like games where there is no equivalent in Linux (like Civ, except for FreeCiv which is a Civ II implementation), install 2 Civ versions and patch them etc. The only reason I'm using Cedega is for games, anything else is available in Linux and as good if not better compared to XP imo.

The nail in the Windows coffin imo is that there isn't much need to stick with it at all, unless there is a specific app you need frequently which makes switching between Linux and Windows an annoyance. I have a dual boot and leave Windows on the HD for a while just in case.

I don't understand the sarcasm btw.

quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

and so what was the point in all this? (coming from the computer illiterate)

Apart from being sick from Microsoft stuff for a while I got "Delayed write failure" errors couple of weeks and XP was corrupting files because of this. Even worse it did so after rebooting and corrupting every file needed to start XP so at next reboot unable to reboot.

It was a Linux Live CD making it possible to rescue valuable data and burn it to a DVD. MS has a support page for "Delayed write failure" and blames it to either hardware or network issues [rotfl].

So I reinstalled a basic XP on a small partition and devoted the rest of my time to finding a nice distro and installing that.

The only thing taking some time was getting the screen refresh rate right, Ubuntu forum was of great help there. Other things like installing nVidia drivers and HP printers were a piece of cake.

akots
30-09-2006, 22:00
That is so nice. [cry]

I think if I am able to collect all time I spent fixing windows on various PCs, that would add up to a few extra years of life which would never come back. [cry]

Compared to the XP disaster, time you've invested into Ubuntu is actually very modest and saves a bunch of cash as well.

Socrates
30-09-2006, 22:08
Beam, your thread is of high interest for me at the moment. As can be seen in a recent thread of mine, I've installed Ubuntu as well (Dapper Drake), after a guy at the Uni gave me a live CD of it. I wanted to test different things with it this weekend, but basically put that for tomorrow. ;) One of the things was to see how to get Civ4 working on Ubuntu, so your experiment (should it continue, so as to get things improved, as you said) is valuable for me. :)

The only problem I have with using Cedega is this : it costs money, and I wonder why I should pay money for a game that I have already bought at a high price, to make it run on a free OS. Puzzles me, conceptually-wise (we French love concepts). Is it only 15 $ total for 3 months and then legally free ? It seems the game isn't properly working with Wine only (the free program on which Cedega is built). But there is also Cedega CVS, a free version of Cedega which isn't optimized, but I'm not sure it's working great either. In any case, I'll make some experiment too.

My goal is to switch to Linux at 100% sometime in the future. Dual boot is hell : I'm waiting for my PBEM save when my computer is running, so guess which of the 2 OS I'm using mostly ? [blush2]

Beam
30-09-2006, 22:38
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

Beam, your thread is of high interest for me at the moment. As can be seen in a recent thread of mine, I've installed Ubuntu as well (Dapper Drake), after a guy at the Uni gave me a live CD of it. I wanted to test different things with it this weekend, but basically put that for tomorrow. ;) One of the things was to see how to get Civ4 working on Ubuntu, so your experiment (should it continue, so as to get things improved, as you said) is valuable for me. :)

The only problem I have with using Cedega is this : it costs money, and I wonder why I should pay money for a game that I have already bought at a high price, to make it run on a free OS. Puzzles me, conceptually-wise (we French love concepts). Is it only 15 $ total for 3 months and then legally free ? It seems the game isn't properly working with Wine only (the free program on which Cedega is built). But there is also Cedega CVS, a free version of Cedega which isn't optimized, but I'm not sure it's working great either. In any case, I'll make some experiment too.

My goal is to switch to Linux at 100% sometime in the future. Dual boot is hell : I'm waiting for my PBEM save when my computer is running, so guess which of the 2 OS I'm using mostly ? [blush2]

Krys, nice to read we are on the same track! Answering your questions / comments as well as possible:
- I also use Dapper Drake (actually the latest Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS for AMD Athlon).
- It is installed on my HD which is needed to run Civ IV cause it apparently needs to see a couple of XP directories. I doubt you can make Civ IV run with the Live CD if not installed on the HD. The Live CD is very nice however to get a general feel.
- From what I've read about what you pay for Cedega is not related to the CVS part or the Civ-game-I've-already-paid-for-part but for a couple of dlls that you normally get with Windoze. Wether or not this is correct behaviour is a matter of opinion imo. I investigated a lot and these Transgaming shitheads are the only ones offering something where you can run Civ IV with.
- Wine does not include those DLLs and will not be able to run Civ IV atm afaik.

Something I'd like to add is that Linux / Cedega isn't the silver bullet if Civ IV isn't running well on your current XP implementation. I see the same issues with ATI cards for example.

Lat but not least: if more people are considering to migrate I'm always prepared to help, just keep in mind I'm only a week ahead of you. ;)

Socrates
30-09-2006, 23:34
In France we sometimes talk about Windows as Windaube, daube meaning shit in argotic French. ;)

- Hehe, I also have an Athlon (1800+ : old).
- I quickly installed Ubuntu on my HD, cause the Live CD was sooo slow (slower than Civ4 ;) ). But I didn't understand if you said you installed it on the same physical HD than Civ, or the same partition, which is an important thing to consider. Currently, I have one partition for M$ Windaube, one for data (both under NTFS), one for Ubuntu "/" (under ext3), and one for "swap" (under Linux-swap). None for "/home", but I'd do that if I didn't have a dual-boot. Where should I install Cedega or Wine or Cedega-CVS (for experiment purpose) ? And should I also install a 2nd Civ4 in the Linux partition ?
- Yes, what Cedega offers is a specialized service for recent games. But as far as I know, the guys working on Wine are guessing as much as they can how Windaube is built, so as to make the perfect API translation. It is reported that Civ4 runs, but I saw screenshots with black terrain, so... [mischief] CVS seems to be the Cedega free version for people to try, but of course they won't put much effort in it, for obvious reasons. We shouldn't forget that Cedega is a compagny dealing with M$, and I don't know if they help the Linux community... And they have a monopoly on that niche market, as you said. Just like M$.
- I have a nVidia gfx card, so I have less worries than others, but it is an old card...

Like Beam, I want to explore the terrain, and I'll offer my help to CDZ adventurers in the future, because we need as many migrants as possible.

Socrates
04-10-2006, 18:41
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=188222

[groucho] [groucho] [groucho]

I think Mandriva 2007 is worth a shot. Or two. Or three. Shots in Windaube's heart. :D

Socrates
10-10-2006, 01:25
So, as pointed out by myself in the CFC thread, the Mandriva news was a false alert. [mischief] Cedega built-in in the commercial release only...

Been testing CEDEGA tonight (thanks Beam, you know why ;) )

Conclusion : I'm staying with my dual boot for the moment. :(

It took me some time to set up the 3D acceleration for the nVidia gfx card. Then I downloaded Cedega 5.2.3, updated it to 5.2.6, and proceeded to install Civ4 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. Took me some time to figure out some stuff, but I eventually managed to get it installed (though I think a n00b on a PC will be clueless as to what to do, plus I must have installed some shit twice or thrice on the HD, not sure, but this isn't good on Linux).

Joy came in as I launched the game and patched to 1.61. I immediately loaded my PBEM against Darkness, and there I was !!

It took me 30 seconds to understand that, unless something changes, I won't play Civ4 on Linux until further notice. I can see ALL the tiles on the map (or maybe only the tiles in the part of the map accessible to the camera), but no city, no unit, no border, no resource, etc... that I can't see normally. Some stuff like trees, jungle and rivers are BLACK. Darkness, if you're reading this, don't worry, I got almost no spoiler info, and forgot it all already. Just to make sure that I could see some tiles near my line of sight that I shouldn't see normally.

The game is slower than on WinXP, clearly. I won't be able to play standard maps in the industrial age, that's for sure (but will I still be alive then ? [mischief] ). Also some other glitches, like city name and info covered by some blueish pixels, icons being different...

Clearly, the game is unplayable as is, even in solo. Did I miss anything important ? Is my PC too old to handle it ? Beam, how is it for you ? If something can easily be fixed, then I'm all for trying it again. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to forget it for the moment (might try updates for... a bit less than 3 months, but with no conviction).

So dual boot it is. [cry] Oh my fucking God, Bill Gates won't let me goooooooooo !!!

Matrix
14-01-2007, 23:48
Never took the time to look at Beam's sig, until now. It reminds me of two pictures I have ;):

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2007114234747_Linuxbabe1.jpg
34.07KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2007114234757_Linuxbabe2.jpg
33.2KB

Socrates
15-01-2007, 00:19
I'll try to test Civ4 with Cedega again soon. Maybe there is a little tweak so that it can work ?...

bed_head7
15-01-2007, 11:51
I may need to join you in this endeavor. I reformatted my hard drive out of some frustration in November, and have since experimented with a couple of distributions, settling on SuSE 10.1 for the time. I had intended upon reinstalling XP for Civ play on a small partition, but I don't know where the boot disk is, and am not paying for another copy.

And, very nice pics, Matrix.

Beam
16-01-2007, 00:02

I'll try to test Civ4 with Cedega again soon. Maybe there is a little tweak so that it can work ?...

I tweaked the Cedega settings which made CiV work for me on Linux, will post those coming days. As said if ya can't run CiV in XP it won't either in Linux. I also extensively tested C3C with the very performance heavy WWII mod. If anything graphical is involved Linux is slower (due to Windoze prop. stuff imo) but the IBT runs much faster. Same with racesims, one of my other favorites. So atm I do everything but games in Ubuntu and maintain a small XP install for gamestuff.

Socrates
16-01-2007, 01:08
Been waiting for you to post in this thread for months... :D

- I'll be waiting for those Cedega settings, and will also resume searching for a solution (after the burden at school is gone).

- Of course it'd better run well on WinXP before you do anything with it on Linux. That's OK here, except on big maps in the late game (no solution but buy a new PC, which I won't do before some time).

- It's perfectly clear that graphics will run slower than on WinXP because of the translation from DirectX. But it's funny to see that algorithms (IBT) can go quicker (do you have a small analysis to prove it ? ;) ).

- So you went backwards ? No more Civ on Linux with Cedega ?

Beam
16-01-2007, 22:51
So first the settings, this is for the patched version and don't ask me what is what as I'm a Linux n00b:

General:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007116223836_CedegaGeneral.jpg
54.01KB

Audio:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007116223941_CedegaAudio.jpg
39.24KB

Graphics:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007116224120_CedegaGraphics.jpg
55.7KB

And what it looks like windowed on a 1280x960 Ubuntu Desktop :) (resized for upload):

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200711622448_LinuxCiv.jpg
135.27KB

Nothing backwards in general as I can play both in Linux and XP as I like, the slower graphics just get annoying in a huge mod like WWII depsite the faster IBT which even under Linux still is long enough to prep some food while under XP it is long enough to do the associated shopping etc.

Socrates
16-01-2007, 23:11
[goodjob]

Beam, you got a software update ! I hope you did it, it's free and automatic (hooray to Linux). :D

Seriously, I thought it was "Siebe". Don't think I heard any "d" or "t" last time I went to NL. [crazyeye]

Beam
16-01-2007, 23:24
Krys, if you every decide to take a course in Dutch you'll learn soon we "dt" a lot of words [lol]. In this case it might mean "Doom of Thunder" [evil]

Please try and keep us posted if you can make it work!

Socrates
04-02-2007, 17:55
It's time I started to mess with it a bit. I just loaded Civ4 with Cedega, in the same way I did it last time (3 months ago). So I get what I described earlier, ie. what you can see in this picture.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/200724174319_Capture_redux.jpg
152.5 KB

This is after a few turns into a random game. Problems :
- I can see all the terrain around where I shouldn't ! In fact, I get to see relatively close tiles only (the navigation is limited to a large square), and only the terrain type is revealed : no data on resources, units, cities, etc... Rivers and forests that I shouldn't see (fog of war) are in black. The game is already unplayable with this problem of course. Note : the world view is OK though. [crazyeye]
- Graphical problems with text in city box. Annoying. But the mouse-over effect works well (I wanted to have it in the pic, but it somehow failed to capture it, or I moved the mouse before it was able to shoot the scene).
- Problems with icons : resources, civ flag, etc...

That's all I can spot for the moment. The other thingies (icons not showing in the top right of the screen, window half-showing in the top left) were OK ingame. I'll try to follow Beam's instructions now.

Good point : pressing the image-capture button pops up the dialog box on top of the game, so as to choose the name, the type and the place in the file system of the image. So it doesn't use the Civ4 built-in feature, which I didn't like anyway, since there were reports about some images not being saved in some areas of the game. In Windows, I always alt-tab to save the image in an image app, then alt-tab back into the game, which is time-consuming in full screen, especially late ingame. No need for that here !! [goodjob]

Beam
04-02-2007, 19:16
krys, not sure what you did and how you installed it but the game MUST be installed from Cedega on a Linux partition. Also make sure to get the latest Cedega version. Last but not least this thread provides some excellent tips: http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4277

Good luck and have fun.

Socrates
04-02-2007, 20:20
Hmm, I checked, and I'm almost sure it is installed on my Linux partition (that was too long ago). The folder "/home/krys/.cedega/Civilization IV" has 5,680 elements, of size 1.7 GB. Somewhere in that folder, you can find this folder : "/home/krys/.cedega/Civilization IV/c_drive/windows/Application Data/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4", and inside that one there are the usual folders we have on Windows, as well as "Civilization4.exe" (exact same size as on Windows). So that should be it. ;)

I'm using Cedega 5.2.6, just like you (I wonder why ;) ).

I'll have a look at your thread...

In the meantime I messed more with it. I used the same settings as Beam, but to no avail. One thing, it will refuse to load in a windowed box whose size is less than 1024*768 (possibly due to what I ask in Civ4's options ?).

Why did I check that ? Because my main resolution IS 1024*768, and with that same resolution for Civ4, I encounter a problem.
If I set the DXGrab option to NO, like you did, I can't get to the lower part of the Civ4 window (since I have a top bar and a bottom bar in Ubuntu, plus the top bar of the Civ4 window ; all of this cuts the window's height a bit... which is annoying because I can't see the whole stuff. And I can't have access to the QUIT button on the main screen, which forces me to quit Civ4 with the menu's top right cross.
If I set it to YES, I get a huge problem. When I load Civ4 in 1024*768 windowed mode, I somehow get TWO windows, one like yours in your pic, and one named "E:\~e5.0001" and more... which is just a black screen (EDIT : seems you have the same ;) ). It refuses to shut down before I'm down with Civ4. The problem is, with this option set to YES, I can't move the mouse past the current window... and the current one at the beginning is the wrong one. [blush2] So I had to open a terminal using ALT+F2 (IIRC), which displayed in full screen, and I had to enter "sudo shutdown -r now" (properly kills all apps and reboots), because I couldn't find the Civ4 process. To those who think I'm a geek, I just have a very nice mag about Linux for n00bs next to me. ;)

And now some pics...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/200724201733_Capture-1_redux.jpg
96.09 KB
Still in full-screen mode. The image capture had some real problems this time.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/200724201748_Capture-2_redux.jpg
149.69 KB
In windowed mode. Still the main problems, but the image capture worked well here. I can't see the bottom of the window. There is this annoying Cedega window on the right.

EDIT 2 : Another main problem is that I can't see food/hammers/gold on the ground when I'm in the city screen. Everything is still computed correctly though.

Beam
04-02-2007, 20:54
One main difference is I'm running windowed on a 1280x960 desktop. Not sure if you can set your box to that as well?

Edit: Cedega is on 5.2.10 btw, u know how to get it! ;)

Socrates
05-02-2007, 00:04
Didn't find anything interesting in your link, Beam. [blush2]

I can only run Ubuntu in 1280*1024, and only in 60 Hz. No need to tell why, after 5 seconds, I was back to 1024*768 at 85 Hz. Can't I have 85 Hz there as well ?

Get a Cedega update ? I thought it was valid during 3 months only...

Beam, not sure if you can tell (was it recent ?), but would you be able to precisely describe how you got Civ4 to work on Edgy Eft ? Maybe I could just start all over again (if only I can keep my Cedega somewhere during the erasing, or if I can still get it at their website).

Beam
05-02-2007, 08:55

Didn't find anything interesting in your link, Beam. [blush2]

I can only run Ubuntu in 1280*1024, and only in 60 Hz. No need to tell why, after 5 seconds, I was back to 1024*768 at 85 Hz. Can't I have 85 Hz there as well ?

Get a Cedega update ? I thought it was valid during 3 months only...

Beam, not sure if you can tell (was it recent ?), but would you be able to precisely describe how you got Civ4 to work on Edgy Eft ? Maybe I could just start all over again (if only I can keep my Cedega somewhere during the erasing, or if I can still get it at their website).

Go to page 15, about 9th post. It explains a couple of things how to run Civ IV better in Cedega,

Edgy Eft, why use that version? Tried Dapper Drake already (6.0.6 LTS)???

For correctly setting your res and refreshrate you have to edit your xorg.conf (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf). Use this thread as a start: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973. It works fine in 6.0.6, not sure about Edgy Eft however. This the screen related section of my xorg.conf (in bold is what I had to add / edit iirc):

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
Option "UseEDID" "False"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Iiyama Pro 410"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 27-96
VertRefresh 50-160
# 1280x960 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 85.68 kHz; pclk: 149.43 MHz
Modeline "1280x960_85.00" 149.43 1280 1376 1512 1744 960 961 964 1008 -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT]"
Monitor "Iiyama Pro 410"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x960_85.00" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x960_85.00" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Socrates
05-02-2007, 12:43
Why Edgy Eft ? I upgraded from Dapper Drake to Edgy Eft a few weeks ago because I needed a kernel upgrade to run a project in C++, and the teacher told me this was the easiest way to get it OK. And of course he asked me "Why not upgrading to Edgy Eft anyway ?" :D

I'll check the rest of your post tonight. But the thing is, I only have a 17'' screen, so anything larger than 1024*768 looks small on the screen. Anyway, I'd be really fine to have the game in full-screen (as always), but with the graphical problems solved. The fact that the image saving is much less an hassle than in Windows (in full-screen mode) is already huge.

Beam
05-02-2007, 22:06

I'll check the rest of your post tonight. But the thing is, I only have a 17'' screen, so anything larger than 1024*768 looks small on the screen. Anyway, I'd be really fine to have the game in full-screen (as always), but with the graphical problems solved. The fact that the image saving is much less an hassle than in Windows (in full-screen mode) is already huge.

Are you telling me you're having trouble with reading the pix in the first couple of posts? [lol]

Socrates
05-02-2007, 22:50
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Are you telling me you're having trouble with reading the pix in the first couple of posts? [lol]

That's a certainty, Sir. Too bad we aren't in vBulletin (yet ;) ).

Socrates
08-02-2007, 19:47
A little update. Using tricks provided by Beam's link, I got this result tonight :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/200728194442_Capture-fonts.jpg
132.63 KB
As you can see, the fonts in the city box now display correctly, and that's a good step up. But the game is still unplayable, as you can still see the terrain around.

EDIT : Also, the top menu seems to be a bit too randomish on images...

Beam
08-02-2007, 22:24
Good you made progress but this is pretty weird. Maybe look at the forums and hopefully somebody had the same prob and solved it.

Socrates
14-02-2007, 17:25
After a quick checking on the Internet, I saw that my monitor can only do 60 Hz at 1280*1024. So I think I'll have to stay at 1024*780 @ 85 Hz.

Is there anything else to do, Beam ? Can't remember everything you told me in Den Haag.

Melifluous
14-02-2007, 18:39
So basically you can have the game running properly apart from the fact that the fog of war doesn't cover the terrain, it merely makes trees and river look black.

Damn this is damned close...

[meli]

Socrates
14-02-2007, 19:27
Yeah this is about the tiny gap I have to cross in order to say Goodbye to Mr. Gates. If I succeed, I'll start to run everything in Linux, migrate the needed data (fortunately, I have a few PCs at home, so as to temporarily store data inbetween), and see if I really can run my machine without Windows. If this is OK, then I'll probably erase my HD entirely, and install Linux as my only OS.

Beam
14-02-2007, 21:02

After a quick checking on the Internet, I saw that my monitor can only do 60 Hz at 1280*1024. So I think I'll have to stay at 1024*780 @ 85 Hz.

Is there anything else to do, Beam ? Can't remember everything you told me in Den Haag.

Install Automatix. With it you can install very recent video drivers and a lot of other good stuff without a hassle. Contains much more than Easy Ubuntu.

Also make sure you have the graphics settings in Civ IV all on low. That saves me from the crashes and freezes reported earlier (besides the solutions I found on Transgaming Cedega). Are you on the latest Cedega versions already? Then I read on Transgaming some ppl got better results playing with the settings related to the ARB_VBO Extension.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit: I assume you are on 1.6.1 ?

Socrates
14-02-2007, 22:32
I installed Automatix2, but it told me I had the correct nVidia driver installed, and that I shouldn't overwrite it.

I have every gfx option on "low".

I tried the different settings with the "Dynamic VBO" and "Index VBO" options, but with no success.

I'm on Civ4 1.61 of course, I'm a hardcore Civver. ;)

My current Cedega version is 5.2.6. Maybe I should get the 5.2.10 ?

Beam
14-02-2007, 23:03

My current Cedega version is 5.2.6. Maybe I should get the 5.2.10 ?

Ya should, why didn't you do already? Afaik use Transgaming > Check for Updates in the Cedega Menu. They solved couple of graphics issues in this version and the only way to find if they work for you is try it out. It worked for me.

Socrates
14-02-2007, 23:34
So I've just downloaded the 5.2.10 version, using some deodorant. ;) It didn't solved my problem. Too bad, as the 5.2.8 version focused on Civ4 amongst other games.

Also, how did you get rid of that other window that you can see in the bottom menu ? (can't remember what you told me, gaaah !)

Beam
14-02-2007, 23:46
You must've been drinking a lot in The Hague krys. That window iirc is the check-cd window and I've also said some about that. Something related to how sw is sold in Russia. Use your brain and search skills and you'll get that part resolved.

Socrates
15-02-2007, 01:30
Ah yes, I remember now. And I think I smell a little under my clothes... You know, I must have a bad memory, because I really didn't drink much there ; at least I've never felt the starting point of being a little drunk. I just remembered I had like 3 things to check, one of them being the xconf file (easy, it's in this thread).

But all of this is pretty useless to me now. Cedega-Civ4 isn't working properly with my hardware. I'm stopping my experimentation, because I think there's nothing to do about it unless some new software is released (and I doubt it'll change anything with Cedega). Which means dual boot.

But there is always hope. There is this software called VMware, which is proprietary, but has a free (as in beer and as in speech) version. It is a virtualisation software, allowing you to use Windows XP SP2 as a guest on your Ubuntu distro as a host, for example. And they're starting to make progress in the 3D area. I'll keep an eye on this.

Another thing to check : Virtual Box. This is a free software which does about the same thing. They're late behing VMware, but there is potential. No 3D for the moment, but usual Windows softwares are emulated even faster than with VMware.

That's it for the moment.

Beam
18-03-2007, 22:51
The list of things I need Windoze for is getting shorter and shorter :D. It basically comes down to:
- Checking old e-mails but the last time I needed to was about 4 months ago. I could convert the Outlook mail to something in Linux but the need isn't to pressing.
- A race sim (F1 Challenge 99-02) some of my friends like to play when they are over here. It runs on Ubuntu / Cedega but less nice. As you can see in the pic I'm working on that issue.
- Some XP support for family/friends but I've got an XP notebook as well which could do the job.
- CDZ get-togethers until I'm 100% sure it is a no-hassle job to put the box in a LAN game no matter what network etc.
- Couple of smaller things related to XP stuff that's just easier in XP but can also be done in Linux if I put some time in it.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200731822314_games.jpg
138.48KB

From topleft clockwise some games:
- Racer. A free (as in beer) race simulation that runs on Linux, XP and Mac iirc. There is a huge community making tracks and cars. Pic shows a Golf R32 (comes close to my own car) on the legendary Nordschleife in Germany. Good thing to shake of adrenaline. :)
- Wolfenstein 3D. A 3D (what's in a name) fps that put the genre on the map. Hell, I maybe spent as much time playing this game as I did playing Civ I. It runs in Dosbox another sourceforge project.
- Civ IV of course, PBEM with krys I play from Linux.
- Rogue. The first game ever to use random map generation so imo some of it at least is a predecessor to civ. It still is very difficult to complete a game despite it is 25 years old!

ProPain
18-03-2007, 23:23
You have Rogue!! I spent hours playing that!!!!!

Beam
18-03-2007, 23:27
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

You have Rogue!! I spent hours playing that!!!!!

Doesn't make you an addict ;) But if you got say 100k left in your mailbox I could make you one. :)

Beam
16-04-2007, 14:35
Because just the thought of having to go into Windoze once a day for the Pitboss game was driving me crazy I spend some effort to get Warlords working in Linux.

Et voila! :D

For those interested: installing Warlords under Cedega is problematic and I couldn't get it to work. Instead I'm running the exe from the Windoze installtion using a directory of the Cedega Civ IV installation.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007416143452_Cedegawarlords.jpg
120.94KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2007416143518_Warlords.jpg
188.26KB

grahamiam
16-04-2007, 14:55
doesn't cedega cost you $50 per year? Any chance you getting CIV to work with WINE?

Beam
16-04-2007, 15:13
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

doesn't cedega cost you $50 per year? Any chance you getting CIV to work with WINE?

Yes and no. You need a mandatory 3 month subscription for a total of $15. After 3 months you can quit the subscription but you won't get any updates. I decided to keep my subscription a bit longer but might cancel it soon now Cedega just has released 6.0, maybe wait for the first one or two fixes now. Transgaming support is bad but help on the forums is reasonable.

Haven't tried it with WINE yet but that's on the wishlist. :)

EDIT: here is why it might stay on the wishlist for quite a while :( http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5254&iTestingId=6024

Socrates
16-04-2007, 22:02
Not sure what the problem was and what you did to solve it, but anyway, congrats once again ! [goodjob] One thing I notice is the font used by the game : tis the same as in the Linux desktop.

As for me, I haven't logged in Linux for more than a month now. I guess I won't do it before getting a new PC, and you know what ? It's tempting. Maybe once I have a full job...

Shabbaman
28-07-2009, 14:12
I found a thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=327508) by munzy on that other site, about how to get civ4 run with WINE. Seems easy enough.