PDA

View Full Version : I am so fucking angry I could slit his throat....

Lt. Killer M
02-09-2006, 18:19
witrh chopsticks. So that it hurts more.

For half an eternity I have been urgently trying to get a fossil out of China on loan - it is a new species of Psittacosaurus. The Chinese contact made excuses and promises for years now. So far, nothing has come of it.

Guess what?

It is no longer an undescibed species!

[aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh][aargh]

http://lesdinos.free.fr/actualites%202.htm#La%2017e%20espece%20de%20Psitta cosaurus

and the skull I had is even better preserved and would make a much nicer holotype.

Now I should say that there is (slim, very slim) hope for me - maybe the obvious nasal broadening of this animal just happenes to be the same but the rest of the sull has differences. 'my' skull is less broad and more boxy instead of triangular. But I dare not hope.

Matrix
02-09-2006, 18:23
Then who described it? The Chinese?

In those cases you gotta call these guys like every day and get them mad, so that they'll send it to you just to shut you up.

Anyway, sorry to hear it. This sucks ass...

Lt. Killer M
02-09-2006, 18:33
well, as usual they have a western partner. it seems that most chinese do not even publish in china, even if the novelty of the species or research result is obvious..... no, wait a minute, I have not encountered a single case where they did significan t research themselves. May sound absurd, but it seems they all do nothing but smoke, look at stuff, and then wait for a westerner to describe it and they get added to the authors' list.

Robboo
02-09-2006, 19:10
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

well, as usual they have a western partner. it seems that most chinese do not even publish in china, even if the novelty of the species or research result is obvious..... no, wait a minute, I have not encountered a single case where they did significan t research themselves. May sound absurd, but it seems they all do nothing but smoke, look at stuff, and then wait for a westerner to describe it and they get added to the authors' list.

They typically do the same thing with living species too...

My major professor back in school was a "western partner" of a chinese crustacean biologist. He would just mail the specimens saying this looks new. No research on it but expected to be on the authored paper.

Lt. Killer M
02-09-2006, 19:13
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

They typically do the same thing with living species too...

My major professor back in school was a "western partner" of a chinese crustacean biologist. He would just mail the specimens saying this looks new. No research on it but expected to be on the authored paper.

Yeah, this indeed seems to be the rule. And they expect us to lie, too - the guy I am talking about needs a certain locality to remain Jurassic, as he published, or his famous 'first angiosperm' isn't first anymore. The locality is clearly Cretaceous. But, (most important Chinese saying): 'You must conseeder....'.....

Arsehole [rolleyes]

Rik Meleet
02-09-2006, 21:10
The Chinese did that to me twice. I hate it when that happens.

Lt. Killer M
08-09-2006, 11:42
Tentative good news: the overall shape of the skulls are different. This could be due to distortion, which I cannot judge until *my* skull is fully prepared. But I doubt it. 50:50 chance of not being the same species :)

Banzai
08-09-2006, 23:02
Lets hope and pray!

Your species is probably twice as big!

romeothemonk
17-09-2006, 17:37
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Actaully Killer this is a very good point. The main reason for this is that many of their "best" minds are functionally illiterate. I have had to proof more than a couple papers from East Asian authors, and the following problems always occur.
1) Syntax. This just kills me, it is everywhere. I cow not try have this over to a.
2) Random association. I mentioned it in the abstract and the conclusion, thus it is a conclusive result.
3) Piggybacking. Man they try and fit a ton of those dudes on one paper, and it is freaking annoying. Plus they love to try and give shoutouts to their homies. Bad form.

Well, Killer, I am sorry you got hosed, but the best method for dealing with these clowns has been to walk around with a sledge hammer over your shoulder. Don't mention, threaten or anything else, but just walk around with one. Freaks the heck out of most people.

Lt. Killer M
18-09-2006, 00:37
romeo: [lol] at the sledgehammer - if our neighbours here make much noise at night, I walk over, ring the bell and ask them nicely to turn the music down - with a half-yard Maglight over my shoulder. Turned off, and I am not waving it around. Just have it in my hand, resting on my shoulder.....

[mwaha]

As for you 1): Indeed! Horrible stuff! And 2) reminds me of the 'proof' that the Liaoning Jehol Formation is Jurassic - it simply has been said often enough to be #true' to Chinese standards. AARGH! lemme make that a smilie: [aargh]

best news now: the top Chinese guy comes here on October 29 - maybe we can get him to bring the specimen over :)

if not...... [estwing]

Lt. Killer M
16-12-2009, 00:31
UPDATE: saw the skull, was left alone with it, scratched it - FAKE!

Matrix
16-12-2009, 00:40
[eek]

akots
16-12-2009, 01:57
It took a while though.

Lt. Killer M
16-12-2009, 02:13
It took a while though.

That happened a while back, but I forgot to post about it (too angry).

Shabbaman
16-12-2009, 10:28
Maybe you should change the topic title to "I am so fucking angry I could bash his skull...."

Mistfit
20-12-2009, 16:53
...with a sledge hammer

Lt. Killer M
20-12-2009, 17:07
indeed!

I'll post a few pics of the 'fakest' dinos soon.