PDA

View Full Version : OT threads moved...

anarres
25-05-2003, 04:52
Myself and at least one other member of this forum has been banned from CFC without cause.

The CFC mod who did it did not report it in the staff forum like they are required to do, and since we can not reply to the hate posts at CFC by a certain member there, we have removed a couple threads to a place of safety until they can be discussed rationally.

When the "mystery" bans are lifted (or at least explained) I will move the threads back to OT.

Cartouche Bee
25-05-2003, 05:02
If anyone is banned from CFC and you do not get a PM from a mod at CFC, then you should PM Thunderfall. If Thunderfall subsequently supports that type of action by a mod then I hope you let us know, one way or the other.

anarres
25-05-2003, 05:09
I have PM'd TF.

I know who it is, and they got a friend to post links to threads here with accusations that we were an anti-CFC site.

Lefty is cleaning the mess at CFC, but until TF responds I am still banned.

I have spoken to another CFC mod that has checked the CFC staff forum, and there is no post about Dr Alimentado or myself being banned.

Come online and I can give you more info.

Skyfish
25-05-2003, 12:17
Shit ! Got ICQ# ?

jack merchant
25-05-2003, 12:35
I posted a reply very early this morning strongly objecting to the notion that we were an anti-CFC site, but it mysteriously disappeared.

Skyfish
25-05-2003, 14:12
where's the thread ?

Skyfish
25-05-2003, 14:21
Latest annoucement from TF (sunday 3 pm).
Col had the scoop of course, clearly Killer should become a mod :) !

Major OT Forum Changes
Starting today AoA will no longer be a moderator on CivFanatics. This is not an easy decision for me because AoA had been with CFC for quiet long time. I appreciate all the time and effort he spent moderating the Coliseum forums. However, it's clear to me now that his moderation style is *simply not what I want* for CFC. Also, he has publicly stated that he no longer cares about the moderation and the site anymore. I wish him best of luck and hope he finds a forum that appreciates his moderation style more.

Here are a few changes you can expect. It's possible that the current OT forum may be archived. Instead, I may create two new OT forums: one for political discussions and another for more lighthearted subjects such as music and movies. This way people who don't care about the politics are not bombarded with heated debates. Some new rules for the OT forum may be introduced.

Also, we will have one (or even two) new moderators for the Colisseum forums, likely someone in a different time zone.

The OT forum may be temporarily closed during the transition.

That's it for now. Enjoy your day.

jack merchant
25-05-2003, 14:54
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

where's the thread ?

The thread itself has disappeared now - and good thing too. It was called the Off-topic good behaviour thread, in which a poster called Immortal pledgged to be a good member of the CFC community and not resort to attacks, provoked and unprovoked. He then turned around and posted links to the two CFC threads here and the one at cdgroup as an example of 'sites set up to bash CFC' in that and two other threads.
Another flamewar might very well have been the result.

Cartouche Bee
25-05-2003, 15:16
Well it's too bad that some people are so self important that they would think that some forums are set up so others can bitch about them. [sleep]

Anyway, I'm up to date on my current PBEM games.

col
25-05-2003, 15:24
Immortal has been gunning for me in a thread at the FFZ site. I'm now permabanned from there it seems.

DrAlimentado
25-05-2003, 17:31
Skyfish, we're on msn :)

anarres
25-05-2003, 20:43
I have posted an announcement:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=409

ERIKK
26-05-2003, 12:20
This damn guy Sinapus is being an @sshole! Look what he says about me!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ERIKK

Well..., try to control yourself! Ah... you failed. Too bad!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It needed to be said. I see the cluebat format works as dismally as a reasonable response. Pity.

quote:

Look minster sarcasm, I am not telling people they are uncaring monsters.

"Well, AFAIK you guys have that unreasonable high dead toll which bothers me more than you apparantly... And I dont like the fact that Moore had to made a "documentry" on this to trigger the debate..."

No, not directly saying it, but it is implied when you say people aren't as bothered as you are. Not to mention you're straying into the smears used by gun control movements when they try to browbeat someone into following their whims.

Also, as I pointed out in the last posting, the "debate" wasn't triggered by Michael Moore, since the gun control debate has been going on in its current form since at least the 60's (with other laws passed here and there before then). Again: are you really that inattentive? Why in the world would you make that incredibly ignorant remark? Did you not know, or were you posturing melodramatically and hoping your audience wouldn't know? (hey, that's what moore does...)

quote:

I am saying that MM is trying to find out why Americans keep killing themself while the dead toll is sky high compared with other nations... (as you can see we are back on topic!) His answer was the combination of FEAR and GUNS. Reduce one of them and the number of deads might go down. Behind this argument of MM is of course the most tragic aspect of his documentry. Both are unstoppable:
FEAR is being fed by the media and government. Two powers that are unstopable in his eyes (as the documentry shows us).
GUNS are being fed by the NRA as a organisation and the constitution as then symbol americanism. Obviously both are unstopable too. Guns are a part of america. MM shows us poor anti gun protesters and NRA gatherings. Everybody can see which one has the better hand here...

What "MM" did was do everything he could to distort the NRA side so they looked like uncaring monsters. As. Was. Pointed. Out. Multiple. Times. On. This. Thread.

Feel free to ignore those facts and keep cheering on "MM" since he panders to your prejudices against those awful gun owners and their evil monolithic NRA.

quote:

Originally posted by Sinapus
*sigh* I fear for humanity.

What the hell does this mean????? Do Cecasander and me make you think this? Or is this just your way of expressing your sarcasm again?

It means I'm more than a wee bit disgusted at the gullibility and willful ignorance of people such as yourself and others who think MM is such a wonderful person. I'm sure Moore finds you useful, so you can be cheered up by that.

quote:
(to another poster)
The more lefter lefties on this board have tried multiple times to tell you everytime a debate starts it is not an attack on the US. But unfortunally it is always taken as an attack on the US. Therefore patriotic sentiment always gets in lots of posts making all the lefties more leftier agains etc etc...

*sigh*

Are you really so intimidated by someone saying your views are wrong that you find yourself unable to type? If not, then why do you and others keep whining about how those who respond to your "debates" in disagreement with your "not an attack" pronouncements must be wanting to SILENCE you? Well? I haven't asked AoA to ban you or delete your accounts and won't. I have been saying that you and others are WRONG. So have others. You screech about how it must mean we don't like freedom of speech.

I guess you like dissenting, but facing dissent is too much for you to take.

ERIKK
26-05-2003, 12:23
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Myself and at least one other member of this forum has been banned from CFC without cause.

The CFC mod who did it did not report it in the staff forum like they are required to do, and since we can not reply to the hate posts at CFC by a certain member there, we have removed a couple threads to a place of safety until they can be discussed rationally.

When the "mystery" bans are lifted (or at least explained) I will move the threads back to OT.

Why why why?????????? Link?
Col also banned? Why? Link?

What the hell has happened? I only have been gone for 2 days!!!

anarres
26-05-2003, 12:29
ERIKK, we are all unbanned now. Col was not banned from CFC, it was Mel, DrA and myself.

This kind of discussion is best kept throught instanat messages rather than on these forums IMO. We have had enough needless conflict with CFC.

ERIKK
26-05-2003, 12:38
hmmm... ok!

(The Sinapus quote is all in a public Micheal Moore thread, no PM's involved here! Maybe I will reply this evening on this crap. But I now see that on CFC everybody has calmed down...)

Skyfish
26-05-2003, 16:13
I really hate MSN so much...you guys...are you gonna make me give teh richest asshole in the world more money ?*sigh*

DrAlimentado
26-05-2003, 16:20
Erikk, I was following the Micheal Moore thread but once the anti-Moore crowd conceded it was a political campaign and it turned into a gun debate I rapidly lost interest.

I do get irked though when people suggest the UK should relax it's gunlaws, gun licences are actually pretty easy to get over here as it is (as long as your not a yardie ;)) - and we just don't have a culture where people think it is their god-given right to own a gun.

And IMO the reason it's impossible to argue with pro-gun Americans on this is because it is in their culture and history, it's an issue where the atlantic divide is massive. But have fun over there :D

DrAlimentado
26-05-2003, 16:31
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

I really hate MSN so much...you guys...are you gonna make me give teh richest asshole in the world more money ?*sigh*

you know it's freeware right? You can also use non-hotmail addresses to sign up with, you just have to hunt for the right page a bit.

btw - I hate micro$oft too... but... well they make some bloody useful software, *sigh*

Skyfish
26-05-2003, 16:40
No, it ain't a "freeware", it puts a cookie and some spyware on your PC in order to monitor your
habits...

I can not recommend the following application too much, you really should give your HD a scan with this :
http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet

you'll be surprised !

anarres
26-05-2003, 17:16
Skyfish, I use a firewall so MSM can't send stuff over open ports.

Cruise
26-05-2003, 17:27
I use Trillian, it has icq, msn, aim and yahoo all in one and not in a cheesy interface. It just works better.[thumbsup]

anarres
26-05-2003, 17:32
Yeah, killer posted trillian here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=401) (dl in first post). My problem with it is that it totally fucks up ongoing chats when you use file transfer.

Lt. Killer M
26-05-2003, 17:41
if you really need to have several chats in one window... then, you need to re-invite all others...

ERIKK
26-05-2003, 19:02
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

And IMO the reason it's impossible to argue with pro-gun Americans on this is because it is in their culture and history, it's an issue where the atlantic divide is massive. But have fun over there :D

I replied again and also told him I think he is not a very reasonable guy IMO... I expect a reply from Eyrei. After all, he is a moderator... [rolleyes]

The interested can go conclude for themselfs:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1006786#post1006786

Lt. Killer M
26-05-2003, 19:39
eyrei got caught in the crossfire somewhere IIRC and is quite rightly upsrt. he alos apologized....

Melifluous
27-05-2003, 00:00
As far as I can see it

American posters seem to feel that questions about war and the like are a direct attack on their (rather young) culture and quite rightly they are responding to perceived threats/attacks.

If someone flew planes into your famous landmarks and made you feel unsafe in your own country, maybe you too would feel got at and maybe just a little defensive...

Two sides to every story.

Melifluous

Lt. Killer M
27-05-2003, 00:29
meli:

I can understand the rage, fear, insecurity and all that.

BUT: this does NOT allow anyone to forego the normal rules of polite conversation. As seen in the MM thread, eyrei blow up and calmed down fast - that happenes to all of us. What I simply cannot accept is being attacked even i I clearly and rationally state my intent.

That said: I do feel with all Americans, GWB and his governments nonwithstanding, and I do give credit to them as far as possible. This go me a ban from lefty as I tried to let SunTzu blow odd and then calm down - lefty in essence said I should report him and that's it - a position I cna alos understand. This just illustrates how difficult sthe situation is - ad goddamn it is time they pulled themselves up by their own fucking stirrups!

Most did, btw!