25-08-2006, 09:48
Killercane and I started a civ3 PBEM.
Rik Meleet made us a map with the following conditions:
Wacken Iroquois
Killercane Sumerians
no AI
Emperor
continents reachable by navigation.

There has been some miscommunication and i ended up with the iroqs while i cannot reach my enemy. So the civ is not optimal (Sumerians are definately optimal for this setting) but who cares, i will overcome that little disadvantage right ? :D
And sorry, i guess this is gonna be a simcity report for the first 200 turns.

My next mistake came in the first turn. We started on a gold hill, with some food boni nearby. Not realising the importance of commerce this game (i'm used to it being worthless when playing against AI and forgot to actually think) i moved from the hill rather than settling on top of it.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/20068258127_pic1.JPG
53.78KB

KC did settle on the hill, but he does not have alphabet as a starting tech. It does give him 2 extra gold per turn, and he has to pay about 87 beakers for alphabet. So initially, i think i can overcome this problem and beat him to Philosophy. I set research to Writing and start irrigating all those good things.

As some may know, i live and die by the food per turn principle. Since both new cities and a granary provide me 5 more fpt but a settler is faster build, i start building 2 settlers right away.
And so about 16 turns later, my empire looked like this:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200682583535_pic2.JPG
77.68KB

Since i see a lot of river around my capital, new cities will produce 3fpt. Now the choise between a quick settler for 3fpt or the somewhat expensive granary is starting to get closer, but i still choose for the settlers rather than the granary. So i build another batch of settlers.

Meanwhile, F11 and msn information tell me that KC has only build 3 towns, connected luxuries and is probably building granaries. our gnp's are alternating, but with his connected luxuries he probably isn't needing a lot of the entertainment slider. We end up researching Writing in the same turn, so i gave up hope on winning for philosophy and start researching some cheap 4 turn techs. Better to keep researching the cheap things now so that i don't have to waste expensive time on those when my research is stronger. And KC will make thing cheaper for me to research.
So by turn 33, my i have build a bunch of cities at the rivers and also added one non river city close to a luxury.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200682585457_pic3.JPG
198.67KB

I now decided it was time for granaries. I decided to build 3 granaries, but no granary in my capital. After agreeing with HC that palace flipping is alowed, i am planning ahead to build my FP in Allegheny and flip my palace elsewhere as i hate building my FP in a corrupt town. KC told me he had only just made his 4th town but had his granaries being finished around this time when i am just starting mine. But i have many more towns now so it isn't too bad. Research is going Ceremonial(4), Bronze working(4), warrior code(4) and i got mysticysm from a hut. My interpretations of F11 tell me that i have over 15 more total food per turn by the time he has finished his granaries.

KC chose literature for free technology. I keep myself busy with cheap 4 turn techs while he researches code of laws and maks it cheap for me. So research was continued: Philosophy(4), The Wheel(4), Masonry.

It is now turn 45, and this is how far we played, so the rest of the report is gonna be at PBEM speed.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200682593355_pic4.JPG
203.56KB

Tubby Rower
25-08-2006, 13:20
I only see one warrior!! is that correct or am I missing something?

10 cities
2 settlers
13 workers
and only 1 warrior?

just. wow.

Rik Meleet
25-08-2006, 13:58
He is gambling that the (unknown) barb-level is low. Could be a brilliant assessment or a step into the grave.
Time will tell ?????

grahamiam
25-08-2006, 15:58
barbs are not really a problem in civ3, they only take money or shields and, as he is expanding further and further, they have less chance of spawning. since he knows 'cane can't reach him, it seems to be a sound strat.

Tubby Rower
25-08-2006, 16:03
they will also kill pop correct? But as he's agri, that effect wouldn't be too bad.

WackenOpenAir
25-08-2006, 17:22
Never worry about barbs in civ3 really.
Indeed they can take pop or destroy your current build (wich sucks if a settler is almost finished) but those are rather rare, usually they just take some gold. I have watched whole stacks (20+) of raging barbs enter my cities only to take gold.
If it kills a citizen, it does matter to me though, i truly hate it when they do. You know how important food is. However, fighting them costs more due to other things being delayed than losing a citizen.

WackenOpenAir
27-08-2006, 20:10
Turn 52:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/2006827195153_pyramids.JPG
163.39KB

KC's increase in commerce tells me that he has build 2 libraries. I have seen 2 of his cities growing size 7, temporarilly and then shrink below size 6 again. So he has chosen to delay growth in favor of early libraries. And it shows in the F8 and F11 screens. I am number 1 on everything except military service. Literacy and Annual income. I have 21% area vs KC 12% and i have 57% population vs KC 42%.

Growth is going rapidly. With citizen count, my commerce production is growing fast as well. I am researching COL in 4 turns now and i still have math, lit and horse to research in 4 turns, after that, MM and Poly may also to be possible in 4 if i keep growing well. So there really is no hurry to increase science and i don't understand why KC is building libraries. As long as i am researching in 4 turns, i am not in a real hurry to get Republic either. KC should be making it cheap for me as we speak.

Meanwhile, i keep satisfying my food addiction. I really just think of gathering as much food per turn and thus eventually citizens as possible. The confrontation is gonna be only like 100 turns from now.
At this moment what matters is just to make sure i have the strongest civ by that time. First of all, that means the most citizens. Therefore, i chose to build the pyramids. I think it should be a good step towards victory. Meanwhile, i am just still building settlers and workers everywhere in order to keep increasing my food per turn.

WackenOpenAir
29-08-2006, 05:10
Turn 58:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/20068294517_empire2.JPG

(18 towns, 16 workers, 2 warriors)

My empire keeps growing well, my people are like rabbits.
In production are 6 more settlers and 8 more workers.

Time for a little planning ahead.
I think i have for 18 turns to go with 4 turn researches (HBR, Math, poly, MM, finish Lit(2).
By that time i also expect my pyramids to be done.

A have a prebuild going on a coastal city for the Great Lighthouse. It will activate my golden age and it may give me the advantage in naval warfare tactics. I keep options open to swich to collosus if i want my golden age earlier. I may start the collosus in another city though. After i have enough settlers and a satisfying number of workers, i don't have much to build but libraries and wonders anyway.

I am building the FP in mauch chunk. I will have to add some workers there to speed up this build and have it take not too much longer than 20 turns.

Around that time, i also want to be finishing my first Libraries. But those won't be in my first 4 core cities as they are responsible for the pyramids, the forbidden palace and settlers/workers. I have started Libraries in my cities rank 6-10, those will take like 20 turns to build.

So for short:
-4 turn research for the comming 18 turns.
-FP, Pyramids and Libraries for a strong boost and hopefully keep research at 4 turns a little more.
-Convert to republic for another boost.
-Activate golden age by Lighthouse for start middle age research.

I am also thinking wich of the many middle age wonders i want.
-The science wonders would be good if i think the game is not gonna finish shortly after we can reach eachother.
-Leo's would be good to stop research after navigation and MT to poor both shields and commerce into KC's destruction.
-Sun Tzu is an option to save myself about 25 gpt upkeep for all the barracks i will build.
-Knights Templar not only provides me extra units (probably a a dozen or so by the time of meeting), it also prevents him from having those same units. However, it requires an optional tech.

So there is plenty to decide on in the near future.

And there is one downside to this pretty report: KC has had 4 techs from goody huts now.

[Post Edited, seems i had forgotten how the corruption formulas work, so plans regarding FP have changed a bit]

WackenOpenAir
31-08-2006, 14:55
Turn 80:
I have just become a republic this turn.
Before the revolution, i finished the pyramids.

St. Regis is still buidling the collosus for a golden age. this is expected in about 16 turns from now. Mauch Chunk is building the FP.

Niagara falls just completed its library before the revolution and now started working on another wonder. There are several early middle age wonders of interest: Leos, Bachs, sun tzu. So i may start another prebuild for a second wonder, the golden age will make it all possible.

The other low corrupt cities are just producing Libraries + Aquaduct + harbor. The high corrupt cities produce settlers and workers for a little piece of ICS land. Unfortunately, i am already paying upkeep for my workers.

QCS stats :D
22 towns
92 citizens
31 workors
3 spearmen
1 mounted warrior
All AA tech except Contruction and Map making in 1 turn.

Looking at my current science output, It should be an easy 4 turn research troughout the middle ages.

BCLG100
31-08-2006, 15:37
gotta say that this is one of the speediest games ive seen in a long while, how many turns are you getting through a day???

WackenOpenAir
31-08-2006, 16:06
We are sending them trough msn and chat while playing, trying to get some info out of eachother. So we can play some turns every day like that as long as everything is going fast.

WackenOpenAir
31-08-2006, 21:59
Turn 84 now:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200683121376_Copy of Empire.JPG
134.81*KB

The numbers on the cities are their distance rank from the capital. I numbered 17 cities, those are the potentially productive cities. At this moment, city 13 is 50% corrupt. When the FP is done (city 6), that should move to city 15 i think. All cities before that are less than half corrupt. All new cities to be produced will be at a distance no closer than city 17 so that none of the first 17 cities will lose their rank.

The FP will be done in 12-13 turns. The Collosus (city 5) for my golden age will be ready in 12 turns.
The pyramids were completed in city 3. City 2 now took the BG's in the area and is preparing a new wonder. As you see, that city has a pretty nice production already. When i will ave my golden age, it will be more than 30 shields per turn.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/2006831214213_B Falls.JPG
153.87*KB

KC just produced the Mausoleum of Mausolus. Until turn 80, there were no wonder builds on F7, so he used the palace for prebuild. He tells me he is using it now as well and there is one wonderbuild in the F7 screen. So he has 2 wonder builds going, both just started after turn 80. He is telling me he doesn't want to research Monarchy, but i suspect he is aiming for the hanging gardens (golden age) and Leo's. I am gonna just let him get those gardens, but not Leo's. And in fact, i don't want him to get any MA wonder all together. With my golden age boosting my city beyond 30 spt, it should be easy enough to deny him one wonder that i choose, but i hope i will be able to snatch multiple wonders.

Therefore, i am planning to start a wonder build in city 3 after it finishes its library. This is supposed to become Sun Tzu. When city 2 is done with it's wonder, it can probably start another build for one of the later MA wonders. Maybe i will also set a city to build for Bach's. But i am in doubt if I am gonna pull it off to snatch all wonders from KC.

9,10,11 Are strugling for tiles to use and need the production badly as the all need a library, aquaduct and harbor. The golden age should help them out, maybe i will add some gold for rushbuilding.

Next turn i will enter the middle ages. On my own, i'm on the edge of 4 turn research, but with KC clearing the path for me and reducing research cost, it will be real easy. Ain't it beautiful, KC is doing everything to try hard and research as fast as possible. I get to follow cheaply and meanwhile i can build all wonders i want and have more population.

WackenOpenAir
02-09-2006, 20:14
Turn 102:
My golden age kicked in a few turns ago. Due to the golden age, i am now doing 250 science per turn at 40%. My 2 most productive cities have around 30 shields per turn each.
Non wonder building cities are mostly just completing the following list of structures:
-harbor
-aquaduct
-library
-marketplace

KC started his golden age with the haning gardens last turn. He has researched monarchy for this. The result is: I am no longer really behind in research. As my research of Invention completes, there is no tech available that is made cheap by KC's research. I choose to research Theology.

Just this turn, i built Leo's workshop. If KC didn't lie to me, he should have 600 shields on his prebuild within few turns now. I have 2 more wonder builds going, but i will not beat this prebuild of him. The good news is, it is his only prebuild. I expect him to build Sun Tzu.

Now i have 2 wonder prebuilds going, and i am not really sure yet what they are gonna be. I am interested in the science wonders, in magelans, bach's and even sistines.

I am just thinking about what is gonna happen when we both get to sail the oceans. I don't think it's gonna end there. I have never really fought wars in the industrial age, and i'd dying to use all those beautifull units for the first time.

This naval war would cause huge losses for both of us of course. So i need to get an edge. Magelans should give me an edge in naval warfare. Strong happy wonders may give me an edge in defeating war weariness. Thats why i am actually thinking about sistines and bach's. The science wonders are an obvious choise of course.

The problems though:
-Combining the production of rediculously expensive cathedrals with the production of units, espescially naval units in the coastal cities. These cities all have a rather weak production.
-When we go to Industrial age, KC will have a free tech and will thus reach Sci meth faster, get 2 free techs and possibly build the Hoover dam before i get a chance to do so myself.

I am gonna think about these long term plans a bit more now.

Rik Meleet
02-09-2006, 20:20
Any idea where on the map Killercane is located ?
How are you going to explore on the sea (I mean: what route) ?

WackenOpenAir
02-09-2006, 20:50
Well, since i am on the top left, i assume hes on the bottom right. You don't have that many options where to place us when you want us to be at navigation distance :) Exploring is not really my biggest worry. It can wait until i can safely cross the ocean.

Basically, i see the following possibilities for both me and KC:
-Fastest possible attack. Str8 for navigation and drop horses. Possible in (4 techs) 16 Turns.
-Slower attack. Navigation and MT. Drop cavalry. Possible in (8 techs)32 Turns.
-Get to Industrial age first and hope to get ToE and Hoover first. Possible in 40 turns. (10 non optional MA techs to go)
-Go for Frigates and start a naval war. Possible in 28 Turns. (7 techs) 8 more turns will add cavalry.

So now i have to decide what is the best counter against each of those, make an expectation what KC is doing and try to influence his choises in our MSN discussions.

WackenOpenAir
04-09-2006, 17:48
It is turn 118 now. I feel rather stupid for what is happening to me. I do have quite some experience against human players from other strategy games, and i do know you can't get away with few units when your opponent might choose to go for aggression. In fact, i know that normally the correct strategy is to build nothing but troops and rape the opponent as hard as you can.
However, i made some misjudgements. With the same experience from other games, i learned most players have a tendency to build way to little troops.

In naval landing games like these, the defender has an advantage. He has the turn after landing to attack the troops in the open (of course you close hills and mountains against landings)
In this game, horses are best used for defending and pikes are best used for attacking. The defender does however need to have a LOT of troops. The defender also has the advantage in that the attacker needs to build a large amount of ships and loses time on transporting his units. On top of that, the attacker will lose more troops and thus suffers more war weariness.

Now because of these advantages for the defender, i decided to delay my offence until after the middle ages. I have a very agressive reputation in civ and thought KC would expect nothing else than a full force attack from me. I judged KC would be smart enough to build horses for defence. I did not think he would choose the offence, certainly since that appears not te be the nature of most players.

Since i have had only 2 units for ages, i was never worried about being military weak compared to KC. Only after i started producing horses, as i build more and more of them and kept hearing i am weak compared to them, i started to get more and more worried.

Now it is turn 118, and i'm afraid i'm scrambling for survival. Last turns, i typed a little per turn log while playing. Sorry for telling things double (or triple), i was typing it while playing and now after providing a sumary, i include the text unaltered. some pictures should be uploaded soon.

The log:
It is now turn 113.
I am 1 turn behind KC in research. We are both researching the same path. Theology-Education-Astronomy-.......

We have been talking about who's gonna get copernicus. This turn, he has researched Astronomy, but not completed copernicus. I will research Astronomy next turn and copernicus could complete the turn after.

Meanwhile, i am building mounted warriors to prepare for possible meetings. I have produced 18 now and am still weak compared to him. As offensive points count twice as much as defensive points and MW's have 3 of em, he must have quite some troops already.

He has been telling me that he would defend himself and try to prolong the game, insinuating that he is expcting agression from me. We also spoke about completing copernicus.

Finally, culture growth tells me i have more libraries than him while he is actually scientific.

Therefore, i am expecting a huge invasion from him when he researches navigation. I can only hope he does not have the galleys to bring them all at once. If they come in waves, i may be able to handle them. If they come all at once, there will be way too many for me to kill and i will lose cities.

Still, that does not mean i should lose hope. I will kill his invaders with great efficiency. This will cause him great war weariness. This war weariness will allow me to research into industrial age and beat him for universal suffrage and ToE.

Turn 118:
I keep building horses and he keeps being strong compared to me. He is telling me he is building universities. Obviously i don't believe him. He researched Navigation. His first boat is getting near.
I hope am gonna survive trough this. He did talk about researching Chivalry and sending knights. I am not sure if that was cowpoop or if he really is gonna do that. If he does, he has been researching 2 optional techs and i will probably research MT to fight his knights efficiently.
I am not gonna build a large load of vessels. First of all, i need to invest most of my production in horses to stand a chance for survival if KC attacks me and second, they cost too much upkeep and i figure in these island battles, defensive units are best for attacking and offensive units are best for defending.
So what i really hope now is that he is gonna be sending me horses, not pikemen.
If he is smart, he does have the opportunity to kick my ass. If he spends all his production and gold on building and upgrading for many vessels full of pikes.
The only advantage i have is that he will need a massive load of vessels to send me his attack force if he chooses to attack me and that he loses time in travel. Time that i can use to build more troops for defence.

Turn 119:
He dropped 2 horses and a pike on my shore. Couldn't get there in time. I am forced to disband 6 of my ICS cities. Worse however is that by moving my boats 2 tiles into sea and back, i spotted 16 more boats comming for me, that could be 48 units. They can land in 2 turns.
I have 33 Mounted warriors now and with some rushbuilding, 10 will be ready next turn. I have 4k more gold so i will be spending some more next turn. I must survive this attack and hopefully harm him with loads of WW.

Turn120:
He thinks i haven't seen his 16 boats.
The units he landed last turn were landed on the south east. He has boarded them again and send the boat north. He took one of his 16 boats and moved it into my obvious vision in western direction. The 15 remaining boats he is moving around trough the ocean "out of my vision" Of course, i have a perimeter of boats to move out into the ocean and back every turn so i know his every move.
I have produced some mounties and i am rushing more of them. Some mounties i sent to the single boat in the east, the rest of the mounties are following the big stack of boats moving to my core. I will keep adding more mounties as i want to decimate his stack in turn. Even if i can't do it in 1 turn and i happen to lose a core city, the damage for KC in war weariness should be worse i think. A city can be rebuild, WW is not so easy to repair here. Certainly not if it is gonna prevent him from beating me to Universal suffrage and ToE. (Also time to do research on communism)

Turn121:
He has landed 6 units. I kill them 6-1. One of my MW became elite in the battle.
Last turn i was military average with 43 mounties. I am now still average with 50 mounties. I'm gonna gonna lower the gold spendings on rushbuilding a bit.
The bastard did research Chivalry and is now building Knights templar. I will go straight for MT to upgrade for cavs. I must say i am not really thrilled to research MT as i really want to beat KC soundly into the industrial age for the important wonders and the race for bombers. But i will have to do this to keep fighting efficiently. Unfortunately i will have MT just a little late and KC has a few turns to attack with Knights while i have only MW to defend.

I have done some research and learned the following facts:
-Universal suffrage has only a minimal effect and is not really worth building.
-As my empire is now, communism would not help my average corruption. Unit support makes up for the lost commerce bonus. Commy allows more cities to be added, but those would have to build tons of buildings before they are usefull. Not counting the WW aspect, i think republic and commy are eachothers equals for my empire.
War weariness is the only real profit for swiching to communism so i hope i can delay the anarchy period as long as possible.

WackenOpenAir
04-09-2006, 18:28
118 The first KC sighting. Note the ring of boats i am building around my island. I start moving some horses, but i know i will be too late.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200694182219_118.JPG
181.97KB

119 The eagle has landed.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200694182349_119.JPG
130.97KB

120 Unfortunately i had to disband 6 towns since the razing of a town causes huge WW. This picture also shows the path of KC's boat after loading back the units. It was out of my vision at the beginning of my turn and i made sure it was out of vision at the end of my turn again.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200694182622_120singleboat.JPG
124.06KB

120 Here you see the stack comming. This was out of vision as well. Before the end of turn, i move my boats back to safe coastal waters.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200694182717_120stack.JPG
137.9KB

121 He has landed 2 boatloads, rather easy to dispatch. I am building new settlers to replace the lost cities.http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/20069418289_121.JPG
152.59KB

Rik Meleet
04-09-2006, 20:12
Getting interesting.

BCLG100
04-09-2006, 21:01
it is very

WackenOpenAir
05-09-2006, 00:54
122:
His 15 boats are at my shore, but exactly where they cant unload. I do a last round of rushbuilding, even regular mounties in the ICS cities near the landing zone.

123:
He dropped al 45 of them. Fortunately it is mostly horses and not so many pikes (about 8 pikes, 6 endiku, 30 horses, 1 settler)
With 62 mounties, i attack his stack. It is close, but i have just enough of them to kill the whole stack. I lost 8 mounties in my attack. WW be awefull for him now.
I calculate 101 WWP for KC and 19 WWP for me. Every 30 WWP is a level worth 25% unhappy citizens.
[hammer]

BCLG100
05-09-2006, 02:24
what are your military stengths now?

WackenOpenAir
05-09-2006, 03:44
Obviously, i am strong now compared to him.
This should be a pretty devastating blow to KC.

I already had a stronger empire with my pyramids and commercial trade, now he is suffering heavy WW. The WW makes 9 citizens uphappy in each of his size 12 cities. This is unaffordable for sure. His only real option is to swich for Monarchy right now and hope he can someday catch up. If he does not swicht to monarchy, he will be unable to do any significant research, it will even be difficult for him to research communism.

So let's assume he does swich to Monarchy, he loses another 6 or so turns on anarchy, together with the 8 turns he spent on optional techs, that makes a 14 turn loss. I was behind 3 and am gonna research an optional mysef, so that leaves me with a 7 turn tech lead.

Now unit support will be less of a problem for him. But still, my republic, certainly with stronger empire, should outresearch him quite a bit. He then has the option to invite me to attack him, trying to get the WW on me as well. ("If you attack me now and take 2 cities, it's game over") Since he is then monarch and i still republic, efficiency is not so important for him anymore as it is to me, if he just gets the WW on me, or at least has enough units to force me to have those as well, so that i pay heavy unit support.

I will simply follow my path to research MT and upgrade my mounties to cavalry. I am not yet sure how weakened he is and what he will do. If i feel he is really very weak, i may research navigation and attack him with cavalry. However, that will take about 10 turns to research both and if the attack fails, i dug myself the same hole he just did. So i will only attack if i feel rather sure the game is gonna end right there. If i do not decide to attack, i will just keep some cavs around to keep him at bay and race for Industrial age. I guess he who gets flight first with more than very few turns difference wins the game.

Hopefully i will be able to combine first to bombers with getting ToE and hooverdam. If he is gonna send me more boats, i may also see if i can take ironclads.

WackenOpenAir
06-09-2006, 17:20
I will finish it now. I now have 3000gold and 58 mounties. My rough plans are:
-join or disband most workers to reduce upkeep cost within few turns.
-stop research after Navigation (10 turns to go) after that, make 400 gpt. (7k gold in 20 turns)
-disconnect salpeter
-produce 60 pikes and 20 caravels in about 16 turns
-upgrade 60 pikes to muskets(2700gold) and 40 mouts to cavs(3600gold)
-board and attack with 60 muskets and 30 cavs about 17 turns from now.

Rik Meleet
06-09-2006, 17:28
50 muskets + 30 cavs Vs 1 nuke. Gotta see that [bosd]

grs
06-09-2006, 18:50
Why do you so heavily rely on defensive units?

WackenOpenAir
06-09-2006, 19:23
quote:Originally posted by grs

Why do you so heavily rely on defensive units?

Hi grs old teammate, nice to see you among the readers :)

I think i explained that in one of my former posts in this thread.

When invading an island, the defender gets first strike. Most likely, he will have his boats out in sea to spot me comming, so ALL his units will attack the landing party. Just like i did to him. Obviously, not attacking isn't an option for him as i would then simply take 3 cities and reload the rest of my units to land again elsewhere. The defender basically has to kill all units that land on his island in a single turn.

Therefore, key is to survive that first strike. 60 muskets should be able to survive trough the attacks of about 90 cavalry/120 knights.
My cavalry just gets to kill the units that attacked my muskets and use their movement for taking cities. I figure i should be able to hit 3 cities from 1 landing spot with them.

In D-Day games like these, defending units are the best to attack and offending units are best to defend.

When i look at back at this game, i have learned some things. I now know this game could have been over very easilly had KC put more effort in his attack. He could have simply build 100 of his cheap enkidus and i would have had no chance to kill them all in 1 turn.

I have also learned how the tech tree in civ3 is pretty interesting for multiplayer. You have to make real choises to research an optional tech or not. And it is exactly the right tactical techs that are made optional (navigation for Magelans could be a strong wonder for IA naval warfare, MT and Chivalry of course and Ironclads. The ToE-Hooverdam path is also kind of optional as it does not lead towards flight but it is pretty darn powerfull. Lots of tactical choises with the tech tree. Good design job.

WackenOpenAir
09-09-2006, 07:37
Just a little picture in between after 10 turns of producing. Navigation is just finished now, but as planned i will keep producing a little more :)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/20069973649_untitled.JPG
42.8KB

akots
11-09-2006, 05:11
I assume you have some agreement about blocking all coastal tiles against landing? Since this is the only sure way to stop invasion and continue the game.

WackenOpenAir
11-09-2006, 05:38
Yes we agreed blocking is not legal.

WackenOpenAir
13-09-2006, 13:07
turn 137:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WackenOpenAir/200691313657_untitled.JPG
35.77*KB

It will unfortunately take a few more turns to gather and board them all.
Meanwhile, i keep building mounties at a rate of 4 per turn or so that i will upgrade to cavalry, incase KC decides to make a counter attack so i can defend myself.

WackenOpenAir
14-09-2006, 23:17
145:

108 units are on their way to KC's island. They will arive in 2 turns. He has attacked my stack of boats with some of his own boats without succes. I told him the empty ones defend first, so maybe he will believe there actually are empty ones and stop attacking the stack.

Meanwhile, last turn he dropped a counter attack on my island. He spread the dropped units around my whole island. I have taken out most, but 4 were left alive in the ICS area. I had 20 or so cavs still at home. So this counter attack shouldn't be too much of a problem.
The fact that i had cav's at home might help him believe there are empty boats in the stack.

Rik Meleet
15-09-2006, 09:09
I'd like to see a few screens of the situation. It's getting interesting - part II.

Do you like the map ?

WackenOpenAir
15-09-2006, 21:26
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

I'd like to see a few screens of the situation. It's getting interesting - part II.

Do you like the map ?

Well, it's all over now. 2 turns later, i dropped the units. (50 musket + 50 cav) He attacked and killed half my muskets. That was game over. We don't continue to take all his cities.

We have exchanged passwords. I think the starting positions were slightly in my favor. But the map was good.

Whomp
15-09-2006, 21:30
Awesome display Wacken. You never cease to amaze with your well thought out planning. What's next?

killercane
15-09-2006, 21:42
Great game, we will play again. The original plan was to go after you with Knights and Muskets before you got to Cavalry, counting on you to keep following me in research. I expected you to grow like crazy, and play for mountie-cav upgrades since mounties arent so great so late in the game. Never expected you to build so many defenders when you came to crush me ;). At least you cant tell any new players that you never build defenders, heh.

grahamiam
16-09-2006, 06:48
well played, both of you [beer1]