PDA

View Full Version : Barbu's Trivia - The Return

barbu1977
09-08-2006, 20:52
For Romeo's new job, let's celebrate:

Send me answers by PM before Friday.
Again, try to do this without outside help.

Sports
1- This Canadian won gold and crushed the 100m world record at the 1988 Olympic games before testing positive to anabolic steroids, creating one of the biggest scandal in Olympic doping.
2- What is the nickname of the New Zealand national rugby union team?

Geography
3- What present day countries are separated by the great wall of China?
4- It is often a misconception that the highest mountain in Europe is the Mont Blanc in the French Alps. In what mountain range/region is mount Elbrus, the highest peak in Europe?

Science
5- Ray Bradbury’s book Fahrenheit 451 is an anticipation classical, but what happens at 451 degrees Fahrenheit?
6- Our Sun generates its energy by nuclear fusion of ________ nuclei into _______

Art and Stuff
7- Name the artist:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200689194652_The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg
8- In 1972 this movie won the Best movie Oscar, two years later, part II won the same title.

History
9-In what city was this picture taken:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200689194617_Conference.jpg

10- At 142 metres, it was the world's tallest building from 1625 to 1847. It remained the tallest church in the world until 1880, when it was surpassed firstly by Cologne Cathedral and then the 161 metre Ulm Münster.

Are you paying attention?:
11- Where is krysztov currently working?
12- In what field of study did Paalikles got his diploma?

akots
09-08-2006, 21:33
Some answers sent.

Darkness
09-08-2006, 21:52
sent

romeothemonk
09-08-2006, 23:29
Answers are sent. I am looking at a 9 or 10..... I hope

Rik Meleet
10-08-2006, 03:48
Sorry Krys ...

sz_matyas
10-08-2006, 22:32
Answers posted, need to spend more time learning about the CDZ people I guess

barbu1977
14-08-2006, 23:34
Last call!

Answers must be in by tomorow at noon.

Rik Meleet
16-08-2006, 17:02
[bump]

barbu1977
16-08-2006, 17:21
hehe. During today's lunchtime.

barbu1977
16-08-2006, 19:38
8 participants here are the answers

1- This Canadian won gold and crushed the 100m world record at the 1988 Olympic games before testing positive to anabolic steroids, creating one of the biggest scandal in Olympic doping.
Ben Jonhnson 7/8
I did not know if this was well known outside Canada. Looks like it is, as only Akots did not know this one.

2- What is the nickname of the New Zealand national rugby union team?
The All Blacks 6/8

Geography
3- What present day countries are separated by the great wall of China?
Shame on me for my first trick question. In fact the question should have been formulated "What present day country is on the other side of the Great Wall of China?"
The answer is China, since it is presently entierly located in the borders of China.
Only Rik got it correctly.

4- It is often a misconception that the highest mountain in Europe is the Mont Blanc in the French Alps. In what mountain range/region is mount Elbrus, the highest peak in Europe?
Caucasus Mountains 4/8

Science
5- Ray Bradbury’s book Fahrenheit 451 is an anticipation classical, but what happens at 451 degrees Fahrenheit?
Temperature where paper auto-ignates/burns5/8
The book (I've started it yesterday) is about a future time were a dictators burns all the books.

6- Our Sun generates its energy by nuclear fusion of ________ nuclei into _______
Hydrogen into Helium 6/8

Art and Stuff
7- Name the artist:
Salvator Dali 7/8, Darkness, some how missed that one!

8- In 1972 this movie won the Best movie Oscar, two years later, part II won the same title.
The Godfather Bad question! Everybody got it correcly.

History
9-In what city was this picture taken:
Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt in Yalta (Ukraine) Deciding on the end of the war and what to do after. 6/8

10- At 142 metres, it was the world's tallest building from 1625 to 1847. It remained the tallest church in the world until 1880, when it was surpassed firstly by Cologne Cathedral and then the 161 metre Ulm Münster.
Stasbourg Cathedral. 2/8 Only socralynnek*and sz_matyas.
@Darkness, I can't give it to you, your answer is too ambigous and I do not give points for multiple answers.

Are you paying attention?:
11- Where is krysztov currently working?
Only 3 followed the news on the site and clicked on the thread that said krys was working at Charles de Gaules Airport.
Rik said Fuck, but my guess is that it was because he did not know the answer more than his actual answer. ;) (he also asked for an appology.)

12- In what field of study did Paalikles got his diploma?
Economics is the correct answer. Ikea is not considered a field of study. 5/8

barbu1977
16-08-2006, 19:43
And the standing
sz_matyas 9
kryszcztov 9
Rik Meleet 8
romeothemonk 8
Darkness 7.5
akots 7
socralynnek** 6
ProPain 6

I give first place to sz_matyas unless Krys can tell us where sz_matyas is working/studying :)

Darkness
16-08-2006, 20:12
quote:Originally posted by barbu1977

Art and Stuff
7- Name the artist:
Salvator Dali 7/8, Darkness, some how missed that one!

That just shows how little I know about art... [crazyeye]

Stasbourg Cathedral. 2/8 Only socralynnek and sz_matyas.
@Darkness, I can't give it to you, your answer is too ambigous and I do not give points for multiple answers.

No problem. My "answer" was indeed rather ambiguous... [blush2]

romeothemonk
16-08-2006, 22:24
Nuts, I once again am beat out by my little brother.

For more fun, we should play with lockout buzzers. sz_matyas can tell you how much fun it is to play against me then.

I may not be the best but I am the fastest. (For some reason my wife doesn't like this either)

socralynnek
16-08-2006, 23:03
Stasbourg Cathedral. 2/8 Only socralynnek and sz_matyas.

Hehe, I was there last year, it's not that far from here...

Somehow when I thought about The Great Wall, I thought:" isn't it completely in China?"
your question tricked me into writing something else...

Socrates
17-08-2006, 01:02
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

Somehow when I thought about The Great Wall, I thought:" isn't it completely in China?"

Same here. Next time I'll answer "the question is invalid". :D

I give first place to sz_matyas unless Krys can tell us where sz_matyas is working/studying :)

I didn't even know that sz_matyas was Romeo's little brother, [blush2] so give him the 1st place right away. :D

Rik Meleet
17-08-2006, 10:47
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

Same here. Next time I'll answer "the question is invalid". :D
I phrased it something like: AFAIK it is completely in China, but if I have to name 2 countries: China and Mongolia. [assw]

sz_matyas
17-08-2006, 22:32
kryszcztov, don't feel too bad I only knew that you were in the Paris area. Besides it was another trick question as I can't really call what I do either working or studying as evidenced by my posting throughout the day. Perhaps barbu just meant to say employed, in which case I give him a free pass.

classical_hero
29-08-2006, 17:02
When is the next quiz?

barbu1977
29-08-2006, 17:36
Probably not until the end of september. I'm going on vacation next week, so work will be tight before and after that.