PDA

View Full Version : Stupid continents...

Shabbaman
07-07-2006, 19:22
Somehow, every game I play on "continents" gets me a continent for myself, or with 1 other civ. I always end up at the smaller continent, leaving me with a quarter to a third of the land mass. I think it's pretty difficult to keep up techwise, because you can't trade until you (or the AI) gets astronomy.

By that time, it often gets worse. Of course "my" continent always lacks either oil or coal. Grrr... :(

Tubby Rower
07-07-2006, 19:52
[lol] you could use caravels instead of galleons [:p]

Shabbaman
07-07-2006, 19:53
Only for establishing contact.

Tubby Rower
07-07-2006, 19:55
I agree with you that the continents map script is unfair. I've been in both situations and both suck. when you are on the big island, the lone civ on the small continent just can't compete and is annoyed at you because you are so advanced [crazyeye]

akots
07-07-2006, 21:14
In general, imho, in Civ4, playing random unchecked and untested maps especially on a continents script might be not such a great idea. Map generator script is very seriously broken on some instances.

Beam
07-07-2006, 22:27
I am in my 13th emperor practice match now, playing continents because of the great variety and situations and although a lot of times there are just 2 continents. To often there are one or two small 1 Civ continents and I ended up on one of those 2 times. One time there were a couple of aggressive civs and your own island becomes a heaven of peace and I got a spacerace win. The other time I was invaded at the moment of catching up techwise and unprepared for an invasion.

Of the 12 previous games about half had to be abandoned because of either early massive barb invasion or massive midgame AI invasions being unprepared. This has little to do with continents and more with me learning Emperor btw.

I agree that the continents script isn't very consistent but that applies to other aspects as well. Always used the same settings for the map, sometimes there is a lot of jungle (not so good) other times a lot of desert (BAAAAD).

DaveShack
08-07-2006, 03:03
I've been using SmartMap exclusively for a couple of months now. It seems to balance pretty well, and the level of control over the landmass is just awesome. If there's any knock on it, it gives a pretty resource-rich environment, but that only matters if you like to struggle for resources.

ProPain
05-11-2006, 18:31
Whats smartmap?

col
05-11-2006, 20:44
It allows you to custimise the maps - and its pretty good at 'fair' starts.

Lt. Killer M
15-01-2007, 15:40
Let me add to [shabba]'s whining here: I tried 'islands' for a while now. Each and every time I end up as the guy who needs Caravels for contact, while at least 5 AI can gain contact with galleys. Super!
Each and every time I lack at least one important resource, each time present up to 5(!) times for my next neighbour.
It sucks!

DaveShack, col, could either of you post a link to smartmap, please?

Shabbaman
15-01-2007, 18:19
It's here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154989). I've tried it with warlords, but that didn't work out. Floodplains on grass and so on.

Beam
16-01-2007, 01:06
Just why do I play III instead of IV for SP. :(

Darkness
16-01-2007, 09:33
I played continents twice for SP in the last few weeks. Both on small maps.
The first time I got a continent with just the Zulu on it and the other 3 AI on a different continent, only reachable by caravel or better.
The second time I got a continent with the Inca and the Indians, with two other AI on a different continent, only reachable by caravel or better.

So it hasn't been too bad recently.