PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Darkness???

Darkness
20-05-2006, 17:53
No good news, I am afraid... :(

I tore the outer ligaments in my right ankle thursday night...
I came home from work at about 10 pm, and I simply (half-)missed a step when I left the subway station. I was able to limp home, but by the next morning the ankle had swollen to about twice its' normal size and it was mostly bleuish and red in colour... :(
A trip to the hospital later proved I fortunately had no broken bones but I am now walking with crutches (sp?) and I am not supposed to put weight on it for 10 days (check-up date).

I hope I am not making a 10-year ritual out of all this (I tore the PCL in my left knee playing football about 10 years ago)...

I reckon this will not be a good weekend for me... [cry]

Pastorius
20-05-2006, 17:59
OUCH!

That sucks.

Here's to a speedy recovery man.

But on the bright side, now your GF can do stuff to entertain you ;)

Darkness
20-05-2006, 18:04
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

But on the bright side, now your GF can do stuff to entertain you ;)

She's cooking dinner right now... :D

Kingreno
20-05-2006, 18:52
wow, any guesstimate when you will be able to walk without crutches (sp??)? Can you drive/work?

Matrix
20-05-2006, 21:22
Beterschap!!

akots
20-05-2006, 21:31
Wow! Have a speedy recovery!

Whomp
20-05-2006, 21:37
Hang in there Darkness. No fun.

BCLG100
20-05-2006, 23:40
bad luck darkness, at least you have time for more civ now.

Rik Meleet
21-05-2006, 01:42
So you are staring at your fish all day now ?

Darkness
21-05-2006, 21:25
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

wow, any guesstimate when you will be able to walk without crutches (sp??)? Can you drive/work?

No driving or working for at least a week (may 29th check-up date).
Official (hospital) walking without crutches estimate is about 4-6 weeks. I'm guessing 3-4 weeks. it already feels a lot better and I already tried to put some weight on it (I know, I am stupid/stubborn) and that went much better than yesterday.

@Rik: I'm looking at the fish more now, definately. I've got some new (very pretty, IMHO) ones, so I should post some pictures soon. I reckon I'll have time for that now. But I really need to clean the tank first, so that may delay things a bit...

Thanks for the support guys! :)

Darkness
29-05-2006, 13:46
New update

I had my check-up at the hospital this morning.
The ankle seems to be recovering quite well. The swelling is down quite a bit. It's now taped up pretty heavily, for support. I need to keep my foot up for a few more days to get the swelling down completely. I've got another taping session in two weeks, followed by a check-up in four weeks time.

All in all it looks pretty OK to me. I'm already down to walking with a single crutch and I should be able to walk within a week or two. :)

Shabbaman
29-05-2006, 13:51
Well, torn ankle ligaments are not even half as bad as torn knee ligaments. Still not nice though. Made friends with the UWV yet? ;) Beterschap!

Darkness
29-05-2006, 13:57
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

torn knee ligaments.

Been there, done that. That episode took an operation and 8 weeks on crutches to fix.

What's the UWV? [???]

Shabbaman
29-05-2006, 14:18
I take that as a no ;)

Ask Stapel, he loooooves the UWV...

romeothemonk
30-05-2006, 16:26
Wow, Sorry about the ankle there Darkness.

Hopefully you have been taking some fermented medication for it. Whenever I bang the snot out my knee or ankle, I usually have a shot or 3, and then for some reason I feel better. Then the doctor gives you some good pills, and everything is all ok.

Lt. Killer M
02-06-2006, 20:58
hey darkness, sorry to hear abou your ankle! Get better soon!!!!!!!

btw, two weeks between taping??????

Darkness
02-06-2006, 23:10
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

btw, two weeks between taping??????

Yep...
Though I was told I could ask for an earlier taping session if I felt the tape wasn't giving full support to the ankle anymore.

It's feeling a lot better actually. The swelling's almost gone. You can actually recognize my ankle as an ankle again... [crazyeye]

Lt. Killer M
02-06-2006, 23:27
erhm......

I'll have to ask my wife, but two weeks.... in that time, the tape will have lost ALL its ability to stabilize your ankle. I got a new tape every 3 days at the latest, and I could feel a significant difference between the old and new tape each time. Also, you'll want to wash your feet occasionally, too - am I correct? ;)

Darkness
03-06-2006, 09:19
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

erhm......

I'll have to ask my wife, but two weeks.... in that time, the tape will have lost ALL its ability to stabilize your ankle. I got a new tape every 3 days at the latest, and I could feel a significant difference between the old and new tape each time. Also, you'll want to wash your feet occasionally, too - am I correct? ;)

Yep, I do...
But I'm not really looking forward to taking the tape off, because it's glued to my foot. But it's been on five days now and it still feels very stable and strong around my ankle.

BCLG100
04-06-2006, 00:24
how bad does it smell?

romeothemonk
04-06-2006, 04:36
Something you can try to get the tape off. In Football they have ankle tapings all the time, and they also have ankle knives. They are specifically designed to cut the tape of ankles. It doesn't hurt as much, and if it does hurt, well thats why God invented beer and passed it down to men.

Darkness
04-06-2006, 09:55
In the hospital they told me the glue will dissolve if I soak the foot in hot water for an hour. Then I should be able to get the tape off pretty easily.

Good news: I am walking without crutches in my own house (since yesterday afternoon, and the ankle showed no reaction to that this morning). Outside I still use one, but that's mostly for safety reasons. Indoors all floors are nice and flat, so I can't put down my foot wrong, but outside it's all pretty uneven. I'm hoping to be able to ditch the crutches next weekend or so...

Darkness
09-06-2006, 17:56
I've been walking without crutches the last two days (also at work) and no adverse reactions. So the recovery process is going really well. I'm still pretty carefull near stairs, because ascending and (especially) descending those still hurts a bit, but otherwise I don't feel any pain. :)

Rik Meleet
09-06-2006, 18:55
[thumbsup]

Darkness
13-06-2006, 15:45
Last night I took the tape off... Took me two bloody hours to get all of it off... :( Stupid glue.
Went to the hospital again this morning. The ankle is still slightly swollen, but that's OK. The doctor said that was to be expected considering the huge swelling it was in four weeks ago. They did some tests, and it appears that my recovery is going very well (ahead of schedule even). :)
Now the ankle is taped up again (without glue fortunately). I got some exercises to strengthen my ankle and I need to come bak for another check-up in two weeks.

Beam
13-06-2006, 19:38
Thats a bad ass injury! At least it is moving in the right direction. Beterschap!

BCLG100
13-06-2006, 19:58
thats cool darkness soon you'll be up and sitting down playing more civ :)

Darkness
03-07-2006, 16:36
Good news!

I went to the hospital last monday and they took some pictures (X-rays) and made some scans (MRI) again. It's all healing fine. I also had to do some exercise tests so the doctor could see how stable the ankle was. He said that considering how the ankle looked six weeks ago that the ankle looked absolutely great. He told me to start walking around on it very carefully without tape on it and see how it felt one week later. If I had problems I could call and get a new appointment or physiotherapy.
It's one week later now and although the ankle is still slightly swollen (partially due to the heat, I think) there is no more instability or pain. :) I'm not allowed to do any sports yet (starting again very carefully in early august), but everything else is going just fine...

:)

Whomp
03-07-2006, 16:48
That's good to hear Darkness. What sports will you be playing in August?

Darkness
03-07-2006, 17:00
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

That's good to hear Darkness. What sports will you be playing in August?

Mountainbiking (I usually also play some friendly football and basketball (non-organized), but I think I'll stay away from the contact sports until the fall)...

Whomp
03-07-2006, 18:31
That's a good idea. I've rolled my ankle landing on someone's foot playing hoops before. Not cool.
In your condition biking or swimming seems to be the best exercise for awhile.

Darkness
21-12-2008, 13:54
Bad weekend here... :(

My girlfriend had an accident at work yesterday. Some boiling hot water spilled over her and now her right hand is covered with 2nd degree burns. Needless to say this was very painfull, so she's dosed pretty heavily with painkillers. :(
Going to make an appointment at at the burn wounds clinic tomorrow... Not a nice way to go into the holidays...

Matrix
21-12-2008, 15:20
Ouch. I wish her a good recovery.

Kingreno
22-12-2008, 13:00
Oh my. I wish you both well and hope you get a pain free christmas...

Lt. Killer M
22-12-2008, 15:24
ah, poor her! [:O]

Best wishes - I hope they do a good job at the clinic! Burns heal so awefully slow.

Darkness
22-12-2008, 16:53
Thanks guys!

Just came back from the burns clinic...

It looks pretty damn ugly, but the good news is that all the burns appear to be "2nd degree surface burns", which should heal without scars. Though it'll take a long time to heal. :(

When they opened the blisters to remove the dead skin so the new skin could grow unimpeded I was very close to hitting the doctor. I realize she had to do it but Laura was in so much pain that she screamed loud enough that a doctor from the adjacent treatment room came to check if everything was OK...

The pinky finger, the thumb and the palm of the hand are free of burns, but the parts of the other three fingers and about a quarter of the back of her hand are burned and blistered, so now the new skin has to grow in those places before the bandages can come off.

Let's hope it heals OK! :)

socralynnek
22-12-2008, 17:05
Argh. That sounds scarier than any Hollywood Blockbuster can be...

i am hoping with you...I guess, a lot of patience might be needed.

BCLG100
23-12-2008, 01:55
How did she manage to do that darkness? i used to work at a coffee shop but i dont think anything was hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns!

best wishes of course :)

mauer
23-12-2008, 02:01
I used to work at a fast food fish place, Long John Silver's, when I was in high school. A friend of mine that worked there with me was leaning on the vat once, and he slipped with his hand going right into the grease. He still has scars from that, but not as bad as you'd think. Best wishes for you and yours Darkness, I know it hurts you pretty bad just having it be a loved one.

akots
23-12-2008, 03:39
Should not be too bad if its second degree but still very painful. Wishing a speedy recovery. :)

Darkness
23-12-2008, 09:47
How did she manage to do that darkness?

She works in a beauty parlor. The accident happened when the flashover reservoir of the steam machine (for steam massages, inducing increased blood flow, etc.) spilled over, straight on her right hand...

Furiey
23-12-2008, 11:30
Ouch, I hope it heals quickly. I once poured a kettle of boiling water over my hand (to this day I do not know why) so I have some idea of what she's going through, but I got of very lightly in comparison.

Darkness
09-01-2009, 14:43
Burns heal so awefully slow.

The wounds were actually closed in seven days (normal is 10-14 days for superficial 2nd degree burns), so that was a very nice development. Laura was off the painkillers just after Christmas, so that was very nice too. The skin where the blisters were is still very thin and red and sensitive, but it's healing great. She got some special creme to put on the skin from the burns clinic and that works great. :)

The only bad part is that the skin is really tight on the top parts of her middlefinger and ringfinger, so she is experiencing some difficulty in bending those two fingers, but that should improve once the skin loosens up (with exercise).

But after seeing the hand after the accident, the state of the hand now is just fantastic! :)

Lt. Killer M
10-01-2009, 12:57
Hey that's great news! :)

Darkness
13-10-2009, 11:46
What's up with Darkness?

Well, I got married last month... :)

Laura and I went on our honeymoon to New York and Hawai'i

I also submitted the first version of my thesis to the committee here at the university

So, a pretty damn good month for me... :D

akots
13-10-2009, 15:23
[beer1] Congratulations!

socralynnek
13-10-2009, 15:49
Wow! Congratulations!

Matrix
13-10-2009, 16:03
Nice! :D

Socrates
13-10-2009, 21:56
Good set of news ! Cheers ! :)

grahamiam
14-10-2009, 01:34
So, a pretty damn good month for me... :D
Indeed!
[goodjob]

Darkness
14-10-2009, 08:53
Thanks guys! :)

Lt. Killer M
14-10-2009, 10:49
oh, wow!

erhm, OK, lemme macke sure I get this done in the corret order:

CONGRATULATIONS! All the best to you two!

and

CONGRATULATIONS! Fingers Xed for an excellent grade!

Shabbaman
14-10-2009, 12:06
Congratulations man!

Stapel
25-10-2009, 11:50
A bit late, but...........

Good job mr S! Congrats to the both of you!

Darkness
12-02-2010, 11:07
Can I just say that I am actually a teeny tiny bit proud of myself?

I had a successful thesis defense yesterday. It went really well, so I was really pleased with it. :)

Dr. Darkness. Sounds scary, don't it? :D

Matrix
12-02-2010, 11:55
"My friends call me Marcel, but you may call me...Dr. Darkness."

...Yea, I like the sound of that. ;) Congratulations!

Lt. Killer M
12-02-2010, 12:02
Oh yeah!

ProPain, Dr. Darkness, and Dr. Killer - we should open a Little Shop of Horrors! :D

Congratulations!

barbu1977
12-02-2010, 12:19
Very good news. Congrats.

Shabbaman
12-02-2010, 14:25
Nice one, congratulations. And like Beam said: where's the beer ;)

Beam
12-02-2010, 14:39
[dance]Congrats Dr. Darkness![dance]

Nice one, congratulations. And like Beam said: where's the beer ;)

[beer1]Yeah, where is the beer?[beer1]

Rik Meleet
12-02-2010, 14:42
[Jambers stem]
Overdag is hij gewoon Marcel, maar Marcel heeft een geheim.
's Nachts verandert Marcel in Dr. Darkness ...
[/Jambers stem]

Lots of congratulations !! :)

akots
12-02-2010, 15:55
Congratulations! You'll be enjoying the benefits for the rest of your life!

Darkness
12-02-2010, 16:01
Thanks all!

[beer1]Yeah, where is the beer?[beer1]

It went through my GI-tract, was digested/metabolized and subsequently released into the sewer system. :)

grahamiam
12-02-2010, 16:22
Congrats! Dr. Darkness is a pretty kick-ass handle :)

Socrates
12-02-2010, 21:45
Well done Marcel ! :)

BCLG100
12-02-2010, 22:03
Nice one!

Darkness
22-09-2010, 10:00
Well, I gotta admit, exercise is good for you.
During the last stages of my thesis and the months after that I was so busy working that I hardly had any time (read: no time at all) to excercise, so my weight flew up to 106 kg (235 lbs). Which is pretty damn high for a 196 cm (6-foot-4) tall guy. At least, that's what my wife said... ;)

So, after I got back from vacation a little over two months ago, I fixed up my totally neglected mountainbike and I started riding it twice a week.

And it helped quite a bit. I'm back down again to 97 kg (215 lbs). I must say I like it quite a lot (the mountainbiking, the losing weight is just an added benefit :) ).
Losing 1 kg a week was way more than I expected though, but I expect it'll stabilize soon, as I am right back to the weight that I was at for the last couple of years.

So, the moral of the story: science/work is bad, sports/outdoors is good... :D

Shabbaman
22-09-2010, 10:30
106 kg? You never looked like such an obese guy ;) Where did it go wrong?

Darkness
22-09-2010, 10:43
106 kg? You never looked like such an obese guy ;)

Thanks for that... ;)

Where did it go wrong?

No exercise for 9 months and lots of bad food for a quick bite during those same 9 months just because I was so busy with getting all the stuff for the thesis (and some projects just after it) done...

Lt. Killer M
22-09-2010, 11:00
No exercise for 9 months and lots of bad food for a quick bite during those same 9 months just because I was so busy with getting all the stuff for the thesis (and some projects just after it) done...

add lack of sleep, which lowers your basic metabolic rate (BMR), add sitting indoors (heating on in winter, cooler than outside in summer), which lowers your BMR....

been there, suffered from it, too.

Shabbaman
22-09-2010, 11:43
Lack of sleeps lowers your BMR? Interesting. I feel like my BMR is grinding to a halt. I'm pretty conscious about what I eat, so my weight is really very stable. Unfortunately it's not really stable at the point I'd like it to be, but oh well...

Lt. Killer M
22-09-2010, 12:09
Lack of sleeps lowers your BMR?
yeah, funny, it seems your body goes into a "stress may mean lack of fodder soon, so I better preserve energy" rountine.

I gained something like 8 kg during my last half-year of thesis writing, then lost it despite not changing anything but my sleep pattern (from 4 h max to 7 h max).

Darkness
22-09-2010, 12:20
yeah, funny, it seems your body goes into a "stress may mean lack of fodder soon, so I better preserve energy" rountine.

I gained something like 8 kg during my last half-year of thesis writing, then lost it despite not changing anything but my sleep pattern (from 4 h max to 7 h max).

4 h max sleeping per night? [eek]

That can't be good for your long-term health. I don't sleep that much normally (about 6 hours per night) but 4 hours would kill me if it were a prolonged period... :(

Lt. Killer M
22-09-2010, 12:43
4 h max sleeping per night? [eek]

That can't be good for your long-term health. I don't sleep that much normally (about 6 hours per night) but 4 hours would kill me if it were a prolonged period... :(

yeah, I kept that up for a while, and am now at something like 4 h, break (kids get up), 30 mins.....not enough long term :(

BCLG100
22-09-2010, 21:41
Nice one, i lost about 30 or so pounds last year and i'm very nearly not medically overweight now but my weight loss has evened off. I do enjoy the feeling following exercise as well (perhaps not the initial feeling!).

Socrates
22-09-2010, 23:52
I recently read about a study which showed that exercice hardly makes you lose weight : I remember those figures : you'd have to run 100 km to lose 500 g. This which you can lose just by skipping a meal entirely* (requires less effort !). Anyway, exercice is important to keep health in general. ;)

* Funny how I do that sometimes, for various reasons.

Lt. Killer M
23-09-2010, 00:35
I recently read about a study which showed that exercice hardly makes you lose weight : I remember those figures : you'd have to run 100 km to lose 500 g. This which you can lose just by skipping a meal entirely* (requires less effort !). Anyway, exercice is important to keep health in general. ;)

people tend to forget that exercise, done properly, means losing fat but building up muscles :D

Furiey
23-09-2010, 03:12
people tend to forget that exercise, done properly, means losing fat but building up muscles :D

And muscle weighs more than fat for the same volume.

Beorn
23-09-2010, 18:23
Also, skipping a meal means you'll most likely overindulge in the next one and make up for it. Plus, your body goes into starvation mode and fights to retain its fat mass, circumventing your efforts both ways. Exercise rocks.

BCLG100
23-09-2010, 18:55

I'm not sure how true that is, losing 3000 calories a day is effectively losing a pound and you can easily burn off 1000 calories with a 10k run in a gym...

Darkness
19-10-2010, 18:27
Mr. and Mrs. Darkness would like you all to meet: Junior Darkness. :D

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3931/juniorg.jpg

Laura is about 3 months along now and everything is going great. The baby is due at the end of april. Exciting times in our little part of Rotterdam. :)

barbu1977
19-10-2010, 19:06
Good news

Shabbaman
19-10-2010, 19:37
Awesome, congratulations!

BCLG100
19-10-2010, 20:11
Brilliant! Congratulations, especially as this puts more pressure on shabba to do something serious!

akots
19-10-2010, 22:09
[beer1]

Darkness
20-10-2010, 09:36
Thanks guys! :)

Furiey
20-10-2010, 10:18
Congratulations Mr & Mrs Darkness!

Beam
20-10-2010, 13:59
Congratulations Mr & Mrs (& Laura) Darkness!

Robi D
20-10-2010, 14:09
Congrats

Aggie
20-10-2010, 15:49
That's good news. I hope everything is fine and that Mrs. Darkness has a as pleasant a s possible pregnancy.

Darkness
20-10-2010, 16:27
That's good news. I hope everything is fine and that Mrs. Darkness has a as pleasant a s possible pregnancy.

Thanks. So far so good though on the pleasant pregnancy front. Hardly any morning sickness and no other complaints besides being quite tired.... So she sleeps a lot, but that's all really. We'll just keep our fingers crossed, hoping that it will stay as (or close to) pleasant for the next 6 months. :)

Congratulations Mr & Mrs (& Laura) Darkness!

Laura = Mrs Darkness... ;)

socralynnek
20-10-2010, 16:51
Somehow, the picture looks like your avatar, but shifted by 90 degrees...;-)

Congratulations and good luck for the next few months!

grahamiam
20-10-2010, 18:19
Wow, great news, congrats!

Rik Meleet
20-10-2010, 20:51
Another Civ-baby :)
This time in Darkness' House of Horrors ....

Gefeliciteerd.

ProPain
21-10-2010, 18:45
Congratulations!! That's great news.

Socrates
23-10-2010, 19:43
Congrats Darkness ! :)

Darkness
01-03-2011, 10:17
Mountainbiking's dangerous... :(

Took a big fall from the bike this weekend. It had rained a lot last week in the Rotterdam area and things were a bit slippery on the track. And guess who goes flying over the front wheel of his bike making a full 360+ degrees flip during one of the most tricky descents of the course?

You guessed right, that would be me... :(

The front wheel just slipped on landing after one of the jumps. Not too much damage to me, though I am limping somewhat still, but the bike will need some serious repairs, including a new wheel... :(

Matrix
01-03-2011, 14:35
Ouch. I wish you a quick recovery.

I've got a mountainbike here, my first one ever. Cars drivers are mental here, but I can't help but going through the street like a maniac myself. And my breaks hardly work. That might an accident waiting to happen, but somehow I always feel safe. :rolleyes:

Darkness
01-03-2011, 14:52
Ouch. I wish you a quick recovery.

That will be fine. It's mostly some cuts on my left knee and a lot of bruising on the left knee, hip and shoulder. Should be fine in a week or so.

At least there aren't any cars on the course, and I actually have good brakes... ;) Seems like your biking is even more dangerous than a 4.5 (out of 5) star mountainbike course... :)

ProPain
01-03-2011, 18:34
And guess who goes flying over the front wheel of his bike making a full 360+ degrees flip

Did that once on my regular bike. Was biking home at night when a branch got caught up in my front wheel. Cost me a tooth.

Good to see it was 'een val zonder erg' as they say in road cycling.

Darkness
07-04-2011, 16:02
Great news!

A bit (2-and-a-half weeks) ahead of schedule Laura gave birth to a healthy daughter last night. It all went really, really fast, from start of contractions at about 15:30 until the actual birth at 10 minutes to eight.

We've named her Eveline Naomi. She was 3285 grams heavy and 50 cm tall at birth.

Laura and Eveline stayed at the hospital overnight and now we're all back home, happily adapting to the changed situation.

This is our lovely little girl, just before we left the hospital to go home this morning:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1176/dscf4920.jpg (http://img855.imageshack.us/i/dscf4920.jpg/)

Furiey
07-04-2011, 16:20
Congratulations to you both!

socralynnek
07-04-2011, 16:45
Cute!

barbu1977
07-04-2011, 16:53
Lovely!

Congratulations.

Shabbaman
07-04-2011, 18:15
Congratulations!

Darkness
07-04-2011, 19:51
Thanks! :)

Rik Meleet
07-04-2011, 23:24
Van harte gefeliciteerd !!!

Enjoy. And do believe the stories that you won't have a proper sleep for weeks.

BCLG100
08-04-2011, 00:03
Congratulations!

Worryingly seems to only be me and Shabba without kids these days!

What's 3250 grammes in real baby measurements? (pounds)

ProPain
08-04-2011, 00:37
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kids are great. You'll be high on sleep deprivation the next 4 years. And that's all legal too! :D

barbu1977
08-04-2011, 04:12
What's 3250 grammes in real baby measurements? (pounds)

Multiply by 2.2. That is 7.15 pounds

For some reason, although Canada has gone to the metric system, we still give out bodyweight in pounds.

akots
08-04-2011, 04:36
[beer1] Congratulations! Your life is going to change, that's for sure! Don't forget to cherish these first days and months and probably even years. Children grown up so fast, so enjoy while you can. Sleep deprivation is such a small price to pay...

ProPain
08-04-2011, 08:27
[beer1] . Sleep deprivation is such a small price to pay...

Price?? It's a bonus ;)

Lt. Killer M
08-04-2011, 09:31
Awesome!

All the best :)

Beam
08-04-2011, 09:38
Congratulations to you an your family!

Aggie
08-04-2011, 10:38
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Socrates
08-04-2011, 11:39
Congratulations Darkness ! :)

BCLG100
08-04-2011, 18:20
Multiply by 2.2. That is 7.15 pounds

For some reason, although Canada has gone to the metric system, we still give out bodyweight in pounds.

Because it's the only measurement worthwhile!

grahamiam
08-04-2011, 20:24
Congrats!