PDA

View Full Version : Jack Merchant vs DrAlimentado --MAP MADE--

DrAlimentado
20-05-2003, 00:59
DrAlimentado = The Glorious Persians.
Jack Merchant = The Mighty Ottomans.

Deity Light - Deity but AI only gets 1 settler.
Standard Map
80% ocean
Pangea
Wet and Warm
4 billion years
roaming barbs

thx in advance!

prettyvacant
21-05-2003, 13:18
to save anyone else time, i am doing this now. It has been a pig so far, but mostly through my own errors. However it would be mighty helpful if someone could tell me how i resize the scenario window within the editor - I cant see the bottom so i have to guess (whilst tabbing) which box is highlighted, and this does not help.

anarres
21-05-2003, 13:44
Is it a dialog window?

If so (and I think it is since it is inside the editor), you can not resize since they will have given it a fixed border.

Does this mean you are running a smaller resolution than the window itself? [eek]

The only solution I can think of is to use Alt+O (for OK) and Atl+C (for Cancel).

DrAlimentado
21-05-2003, 14:03
If it's the Scenario/Player properties dialog then yes it's a fixed dialog window. (ouch - you are in 800x600 then I guess) Unfortunately they do not appear to have keyboard shortcuts...

FWIW The 4 buttons at the bottom are; OK - Cancel - Apply - Help. If you haven't made any changes Apply isn't enabled so it acts like there are 3 buttons.

And if you are in the Custom Rules Dialog there are just 2 buttons; Close - Help.

And thanks for persevering with this!

DrAlimentado
21-05-2003, 16:50
Map delivered! Thanks again prettyvacant - you da man!

(Jack- you got mail :))

jack merchant
21-05-2003, 17:22
Whoa there, thanks prettyvacant !

jack merchant
21-05-2003, 17:34
Prettyvacant, could you post the bix file ? The start looks pretty excellent, but the difficulty level appears to be set to regent.

Anything I can do to thank you, say the word [thumbsup]

prettyvacant
22-05-2003, 12:38
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant

Prettyvacant, could you post the bix file ? The start looks pretty excellent, but the difficulty level appears to be set to regent

[cry]well hell. soorry bout this. It def played diety when i trialled it (60 pts for city), but theres nothing i can do at the moment cos my pc has blown up trying to fix the problems elsewhere in this thread. (Tried to change resolution and now when I get to my desktop i get a message saying "The driver for a display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Check with dev manufacturer for driver update" But i cant download a driver cos the pc wont work, cos at that point it freezes and restarts. This is being caused by problems with the pf files - but as i dont know what they are that dosnt help much). I have run disk check (which told me about the pf files, and i have tried to restart using "last set up that works", and by using the sytem restore disk (that the PC wont read - useful eh), and by running in "safe mode". Now im running out of ideas.

col
22-05-2003, 12:46
Run in safe mode. That should run using default windrivers. Connect to net. Download and install new drivers. Reboot. Pray.

DrAlimentado
22-05-2003, 12:57
[:O] shit, thats bad news! what OS are you using? Hmmm, if you can't boot in safe mode you may have to reinstall windows.

I feel for you prettyvacant.

DrAlimentado
22-05-2003, 12:59
Okay, putting aside pv's computer troubles for a moment, I guess we need a map again...

So consider the request resubmitted, parameters as above.

anarres
22-05-2003, 13:00
If you can post here you can download new drivers surely?

prettyvacant
22-05-2003, 13:18
Windows XP Pro

i work for the govt (normally try to keep that to myself) which means that I cant download anything, or at least all pc acivity is severely restricted eg no software inc no screensavers (cos we have a security log off instead)etc or rather i could (possibly) download onto a floppy, but then how do i load it if i take it home?

Lt. Killer M
22-05-2003, 13:20
Dr A, I will make a map now - tell me on MSN if prettyvacant gets his PC up again

prettyvacant
22-05-2003, 13:26
here's a thought. I know the file Dr Al had was diety cos i played it myself. I have a vague memory of having to reset diff levels previously. When it was first played by Jack could he open it in MP mode and set to diety?

Melifluous
22-05-2003, 13:48
Safe Mode for XP is F8

Keep hitting this repeatedly as you boot windows...

Sounds like you have set the resolution too high, I do this a lot in the course of my work.

Boot in safe mode and set the res back down to like 800x600.

Then check your video drivers (www.windowsupdate.com, under drivers) , or buy a better monitor you cheapscate ;)

Melifluous

DrAlimentado
22-05-2003, 13:58
If you can boot into safe mode you can remove the current (non-working) driver and then install the new driver from the floppy. This is how I would do it in win9x/2k; Once in safe mode goto device manager, select display-device, properties, remove driver (-probably not nessecary but may as well) then (re)install-driver, and select 'have-disk'.

I don't actually know XP at all, but I assume micro$oft can't have deviated too much from the device manager layout... if they have then someone jump in and say!

re: rebooting in mp screen, I tried that from the first sav. Reset the level to deity, launched, saved it in my first turn and reloaded - still regent!

Lt. Killer M
22-05-2003, 14:11
map made and sent

it was a bit of a rush job, but I hope it is OK.

col
22-05-2003, 15:16
If you cant download then if you post a link to the file you want, one of us here can download it and email it to you. Of course if you cant open attachments either - which is quite likely - then this wont work.

prettyvacant
22-05-2003, 23:10
[party][band][dance][dance][dance2][dance2][jumpD]

it works again

thanks for all the suggestions -i think what was wrong was that the old driver (voodoo3dfx) got un-disabled somehow (??) (so i had both it and nvidia g force4 enabled at the same time) so it was looking for a dll file that wasnt there cos id deleted it