PDA

View Full Version : City Placement

Beam
15-05-2006, 16:19
Thread to discuss, eh.... City Placement. Discussion started here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3579&whichpage=2) post 28. Pic of our piece of heaven.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2006515151026_cityzones11.jpg
128.86 KB

- Westside. Founded.
- Copperfield. Founded.
- Burger King. Founded.
- Sweet Spot. To be discussed.
- Clam Chowder. To be discussed. Plains: fresh water but overlap. Grass: little overlap and trade from water but no fw.
- Fish 'n Chips. To be discussed.
- Riverside. To be discussed.
- Silverado to be discussed.

grahamiam
15-05-2006, 16:52
just my 2cents (and just as worthless)

Copperfield will be a good spot. cow = 4f, 2h, copper = 2f, 4h. working both of these plus CC will give us +4fpt and +7hpt, which will be alright for spitting out early units and settlers. However, it will only be able to work 2 plains hills before running out of food, so it will max out at 15hpt. Growth beyond size 4 will require a lighthouse and coastal tile working. I think this should be our early unit pump, which is good as we'll be going right into Cathy [hammer]

Burger King will be another good spot. fish = 5fpt with net + lighthouse, grass cow = 4f, 2h, plains cow = 3f, 3h (or is it 4f, 3h due to being on fresh water?), lake = 3f with lighthouse. I think this city should be a GP farm. So much food it just seems like that's the best thing for it.

Thebes is probably the best research/commerce spot we will have. Riverside, Fish'n'Chips, & ClamChowder will also spit out massive volumes of beakers once the cottages are up.

Westside can support Copperfield with unit building. In fact, this one has a lot of potential. Imho, those river grasses should be irrigated so we can work as many hill tiles as possible.

Imho, Sugarland and Silverado can be gotten after the others. But maybe not, if we need luxes to get the GP factory up and running?

Samson
17-05-2006, 14:49
Next city? I reakon it has to be burger king, on the plains tile 2 east of the fish. The other options are the plains tile N of the north cow (misses the fish, gets more hills, no overlap) or the grassland forest tile SW of north cow (fresh water, big overlap with thebes, loose a forest).

Beam
17-05-2006, 14:58
I am really in favor of settling on the plains, good balance.

Shabbaman
17-05-2006, 15:07
The plains on the coast, so we can grab the fish? Aye!

Darkness
17-05-2006, 17:10
IMHO you should found Copperfield first...
You need to block off the chokepoint with Cathy (and fast, 'cause IME the AI tends to settle quite aggressively towards the human player in Civ4 (more so than in Civ3, IMHO)), and that needs to be done as fast as possible. Cathy is creative so her cities have 2 cpt immediately, which means the longer you wait the further Cathy's borders will have moved towards the copper, reducing your chances to get it (and then you wont be able to build spearmen). You do not yet know if you will have horses or iron, so can you risk losing the copper?

Beam
17-05-2006, 18:37
Next city will be Westside?

socralynnek
18-05-2006, 11:47
I second that, with the cow it can grow fast and be helpful from the beginning.

Samson
19-05-2006, 15:30
I have mad a sort of dot map, I only have paint so it is a bit shit.

Fish and chips (red) The hill (I) is on the river, and we will need health with all thouse flood plains. The desert (II) gives us another hill, and fewer flood plains to give us unhealthiness. We would have to put Clam Choder on II. I reakon the hill (II).

Riverside (blue) The desert (I) gives us much more tiles to use, but is not on fresh water and losses us a plains hill. Less overlap. I reakon the desert (I).

Sweet spot (green) I overlaps thebes by the rice tile, uses a lot of land tiles that would otherwise be unused. II has no overlap but only has 7 land tiles. III is on the suger so we would not get the bonus food and commerce. IV is on a plains hill and overlaps Copperfeild by 1 tile. I reakon I or IV.

Clam Chowder decribed by Beam; "Plains(I): fresh water but overlap. Grass(II): little overlap and trade from water but no fw.". I reakon II.

Order, Fish + Chips, then sweet spot or riverside.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/samson/2006519141853_Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
139.93KB

grahamiam
19-05-2006, 16:00
Nice work Samson :)

quote:I reakon the hill (II).

Re: FishNChips: You mean the desert (II) or the desert hill (I)?

Samson
19-05-2006, 16:14
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Nice work Samson :)

quote:I reakon the hill (II).

Re: FishNChips: You mean the desert (II) or the desert hill (I)?

Opps, I meant the desert hill (I).

Beam
19-05-2006, 16:38
Pondering between the desert hill and the desert. From the hill 9 fp are covered resulting in 3.6 unhealthiness, rounded up to 4 I guess? From the desert 6 fp are covered giving 2.4 rounded down to 2. Since there is enough food the 2 hills can be mined giving 6 shields.

If the team wants to settle on the hill no objection btw.

grahamiam
19-05-2006, 16:52
CC, 1 mined plains hill + 1 mined desert hill = 8hpt.

CC on desert hill + 1 mined plains hill = 5 or 6hpt.

Difference is as follows:
Library = 90 * 1.5 = 135 hammers, 17turns on the desert, 23 turns on the desert hill (assumes we get 2h from CC, but I'm pretty sure it's only 1, or 27 turns)
Market = 150 * 1.5 = 225 hammers, which breaks down as 29, 38, 45.

Either way, turns to build are very long and we might be better off with the +2 health from the river and just pop rushing the Library and Market.

Beam
22-05-2006, 00:41
610BC: Theebs will complete a settler in one turn. Imo the two most interesting settling areas are Sweet Spot and Riverside. Imo Sweet Spot cause it closes the gap to Cathy and over time offers Sugar while Riverside is very similar to Fish 'n Chips which still requires a lot of worker effort to make something out of it.

bed_head7
23-05-2006, 04:04
I like Sweet Spot as well. Will probably settle there unless anyone objects.

socralynnek
29-05-2006, 13:05
Silverado: S,SW of Silver or S,SE?

Clam Chowder: On grass because of overlap.

Samson
30-05-2006, 12:11
I shall build our next city this turn set. Silverado or Clam chowder? Clam chowder is a much better city, and we do not have happiness probs yet.

Shabbaman
30-05-2006, 12:35
CC for sure. That spot could give us a better GPT, we need that.

Samson
30-05-2006, 15:57
Where to put silverado (should be founded or nearly next turn set)? I vote for S of the silver, that gives us 10 tiles of coast and 1 plains hill. S, SE loses us a forest and has 7 coast; S, SW only has 6 coast though it gives us 1 grassland. It is also 2 tiles closer to the capitail so would probably be 1 less maintainace (though I do not really know).

Beam
30-05-2006, 17:02
S or SW of the silver (both on the ice). The other tiles give more overlap and less seafood or eliminate forests.

Samson
30-05-2006, 17:24
quote:Originally posted by Beam

S or SW of the silver (both on the ice). The other tiles give more overlap and less seafood or eliminate forests.

What advantage does SW have over S? It has 1 fewer plains hill and 3 less coast.

socralynnek
30-05-2006, 18:35
We won't be able to work all three hills anyway as we have no food bonus there, or not?
But still I agree S is better than SW.