PDA

View Full Version : The weird and Wonderous world of BCLG

BCLG100
27-04-2006, 20:58
Well just installed firefox so figured id start a little 'news' thread.

Its all about me none of that unimportant crap like world hunger etc.

Im 18- going to 6th form and hope to manage to get a place at Glasgow uni next year, dont mind if i get my back up Manchester Met though.

Me and my girlfriend are coming upto our 6 months anniversary this monday but for reasons we aint doing anything till wednesday, which, with the help of whomp have managed to come up with a good idea of something to do.

I have my first of many exams next week as well, it is a resit from last year and managed to bring down my grade by a good 3 grades so i need to improve a lot on it.

Bout all i can think about right now, got pins and needles in my leg as well but thats not so magical :)

BCLG100
04-05-2006, 22:11
Well ive got my first exam tomorrow, 1.15. apparantly the most important exams of my life coming up :)

its history and a re-sit i got a D in this exam last year so hopefully i can improve (i got A's on the other 2 papers so i must have majorly fucked up!)

ive got the second part of this exam 9.15 on monday :)

akots
04-05-2006, 22:51
Good luck there! :)

Rik Meleet
04-05-2006, 22:55
It's study time. No CFC, CDZ or poker for you, young man !

Shabbaman
04-05-2006, 23:24
Indeed, a preemptive ban for you! Good luck!

BCLG100
05-05-2006, 00:09
cheers no need for the ban, id be more confident with the exam if i could just relax.

BCLG100
08-05-2006, 22:20
the exams went fairly well i hope, no problems am a bit worried because i finished both of them with about half an hour to go.

Pastorius
08-05-2006, 22:33
I got an A once without having answered all the tasks in a microeconomics exam. So I guess you do not necessarily have to sit out to get a good result. Are you satisfied with your answers?

BCLG100
08-05-2006, 22:54
it was just the one answer, i had 2 tests each of them you get given a question a few weeks beforehand to work on it, you can take a plan into the exam which is 2 sides long. im fairly happy with my answer but this exam is a resit and im not too sure what i did wrong last year so am unsure whether this is any better.

BCLG100
22-05-2006, 21:39
Well ive got my 3rd exam tomorrow, English Language and Literature, should be some more fun- its an exam based on books- Tom browns Schooldays and Harry Potter (Yes HARRY POTTER!!!) and well the first one is so immensly hard to get into while the other one is just really easy so it should be fun.

Its a re-sit of an exam i took last year and got a B in it so im confident that with my revision i have done while also having a whole extra years worth of knowledge behind me i should do better.

Today i also had my last ever lessons of 6th form, tomorrow ive got an exam and wednesday we just spend the whole day getting pictures taken, its weird that i wont ever be sitting in them rooms again and kinda sad but ohwell Uni awaits! :D

That and on wednesday we have what some of my friends have decided to call an 'extravaganza' a party in the evening at a club then someone has a free house so we are using that throughout thursday and then in the evening we have another night out, this is the physics crew and were going for a meal then out some more, then i might go home take a shower etc but then friday night we're going out for the history night out!

Just incase anyones interested still :)

Whomp
22-05-2006, 21:47
You must study!! I ban you from talking to me until this all of this is over and also request a Shabba banning too.
I say "no soup for you"! [:p]
Good luck kid and I'll let you in on a little secret....Uni rocks compared to 6th form. You won't miss a minute of those days next year. Trust me.

BCLG100
22-05-2006, 22:14
yer i know what you mean and i figure that yes i will have an awesome time but im leaving my girlfriend behind as she is in the year below, thats the only thing making me unhappy about leaving school really because i know ill see all my mates again.

Not worried about talking to you ive got rik to talk poker with or tubby to talk hattrick with, though the 3 day ban from cfc might help i guess :D

Shabbaman
22-05-2006, 22:16
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

then i might go home take a shower etc but then friday night we're going out for the history night out!

Ah, people who take showers are always welcome at CDZ meetings.

BCLG100
22-05-2006, 22:19
Smashing well ill be sure to attend one i can actually make, showering regularly. ive been told that i generally smell nice following one:)

BCLG100
05-06-2006, 02:56
Well ive got 5 exams this week, 3 physics and 2 history exams.

2 history on the wednesday and 3 physics on the Friday- I expect to do fairly well on the History but physics is a complete other matter, i find it easiest to revise but theres just so damn much to learn!

BCLG100
22-06-2006, 17:22
Just finished all my exams, its nice not having the worry of revision over me :)

Shabbaman
22-06-2006, 17:23
Good work!

BCLG100
22-06-2006, 20:24
And erm ive just become single:( which is why i cant play the save for TNT, sorry mtdg'ers but im really not in the mood.

romeothemonk
22-06-2006, 20:30
Hey at least she didn't get your house or car!!

Always look on the bright side of life! (Whistle)

Sorry about the loss, but it just means that it wasn't meant to be.

BCLG100
16-08-2006, 20:17
Im Shitting myself now because i get my A-level results tomorrow which decide whether i get into University. i really hope tomorrow never comes.

Pastorius
16-08-2006, 20:48
Well, Tomorrow never dies (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120347/) unfortunately

Robboo
16-08-2006, 22:49
Well if you dont get in..you can just become the town drunk. You have lots of experience at that. Good luck man... I expect you will be going out tomorrow..one way or the other ;)

Pastorius
16-08-2006, 23:30
There are always other universities to try

And sorry to hear about your loss of love (I only discovered this today). Well if you do get a good result tomorrow, I recommend you go and impress a local beauty with your "college material"-ness.

Chicks dig people with higher education [yeah]

Shabbaman
17-08-2006, 08:23
If you don't get it, you can always come to the Netherlands to study!

BCLG100
18-08-2006, 03:44
Well im a student now- i have a place at a uni now i gotta decide whether i want to go there(i appreciate i should have maybe figured that out before) but anywhoo have consumed vast quantities of alcohol over a 13 hour period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whomp
18-08-2006, 05:23
Screw pacing yourself! [guiness][thumbsup]

Tubby Rower
05-09-2006, 16:23
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/52950/beer.jpg

Shabbaman
05-09-2006, 16:53
Strange.

People used to drink a lot more beer in the earlier days of human history, and we're still not extinct.

BCLG100
05-09-2006, 19:42
wondered why i keep putting on a frilly frock....

BCLG100
15-09-2006, 15:45
Off to uni tomorrow, so my save playing ability might slip while i battle with getting a new connection/being sober :)

still not at all packed though :D

Tubby Rower
15-09-2006, 15:55
is Robboo going to play your turn for the Hair vs Hairless PBEM?

BCLG100
15-09-2006, 16:32
i didnt know i had one sent to me yet.

just send it to the generic box and one of us will pick it up, he's away this weekend as well.

grs
15-09-2006, 16:34
Good luck at the university. Can you make a guess when I will receive saves from you again?

BCLG100
15-09-2006, 16:49
i should be sending fairly regularly once i get settled in, the last save i sent yesterday and i got a mail back today saying it had been delayed for some reason but for me not to resend, if i dont have a save back this evening then i shall resend. :)

grs
15-09-2006, 16:53
I did not get any save from you yet.

BCLG100
15-09-2006, 18:07
sent again

grs
15-09-2006, 21:16
Nothing.

BCLG100
28-10-2006, 02:50
Im afraid ive had to return home at short notice (things to sort out and everything) pbems will have to be put on hold, im tring to find anyone to play my pitboss games :)

Whomp
28-10-2006, 06:06
I will play them. :D

mauer
27-03-2007, 00:38
Hey stroker, I think I solved the deleted PBEM file mystery. When I get the mail in my phone at work, I delete it. But when I get home it doesn't download cause I've already gotten rid of it. Sooo, I'm the culprit behind the lost save caper. So if you still have the last save and still want to play, I'll need you to send it again. My apologies to the brits.

BCLG100
22-04-2008, 01:50
Wow its weird re-reading this thread again really.

Erm changes in life- right now im living in a house with 4 friends from Uni but next year im moving into a house with Em (and 2 others who are also a couple...) that should be fun, bit scary as im growing up- living with a girlfriend and everything.

On that topic its our 18 month anniversary in a bit, i don't know whether that's really an important date and as such im not sure if i can be arsed to do anything for it, any ideas? If anyone is friends with me on facebook they can see the photos from our trip to Paris.

I've got my uni exams coming up and so after doing pretty poorly throughout the year i am hoping to bring my eventual grade up from those, then over the Summer maybe working in a hospital in the admin staff.

I'm not the seasoned alcoholic that i was when i last updated this also, i've found to my disapointment i don't have the money to be going out every night! :( That and hearing the same old boring music in clubs just doesn't hold it for me like it used to i much prefer to go out for a drink and come back at a reasonable hour.

So yeah thats me for the time being! theres probably other stuff but i can't remember!

Darkness
22-04-2008, 07:55
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

I'm not the seasoned alcoholic that i was when i last updated this also, i've found to my disapointment i don't have the money to be going out every night! :( That and hearing the same old boring music in clubs just doesn't hold it for me like it used to i much prefer to go out for a drink and come back at a reasonable hour.

Seems like a good sign of growing up to me.

Regarding the 18-month thingy. I actually forgot mine...[blush2]
That didn't go over too well. Now I just remember to check march 16th and september 16th in my agenda and buy roses and take her to dinner (at least) twice a year.

Shabbaman
22-04-2008, 13:00
18 months anniversary? That sounds like something someone made up. As a solution to all possible misunderstandings, we celebrate it every month. Easy enough to remember.

BCLG100
22-04-2008, 13:54
Hmmm well i think we agreed to cook for each other or something, we're planning on going away together so we figured no real point on spending a tonne of money on an anniversary which isn't really that brilliantly significant!

our two year is two weeks after my birthday so she better not combine the two! ;)

Darkness
22-04-2008, 14:30
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

18 months anniversary? That sounds like something someone made up.

I agree. That was one of my arguments. Needless to say that didn't go over too well either. Now we (mostly I ;)) have just compromised to remember 2 dates each year. March 16th (when we got together) and september 16th (exactly half a year later). Now I don't forget the day in march, but the one in september is a bit more difficult. To give myself a nice reminder I suggested september 16th as our wedding day next year. :) Then I'll never forget.

Mistfit
22-04-2008, 17:08
That my boy is a splendid idea!

Very Creative.. you will however be getting married on a Wednesday but.. no plan is perfect

Darkness
22-04-2008, 18:11
quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

That my boy is a splendid idea!

Very Creative.. you will however be getting married on a Wednesday but.. no plan is perfect

Yes, it is. Wednesdays are far cheaper for weddings than saturdays... ;) [blush2] :D

Mistfit
22-04-2008, 18:36
attaboy.. way to live up to your national stereotype.. cheap Dutchman..

Darkness
22-04-2008, 20:26
Thanks. I think... [???]

Tubby Rower
22-04-2008, 20:36
[lol]

Pastorius
22-04-2008, 22:46
Hehehe.

Shabbaman
22-04-2008, 22:49
I bet he splits the costs as well.

Darkness
22-04-2008, 23:11
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I bet he splits the costs as well.

Definately.
It would be difficult not to, considering all our money is a shared bank account... ;)

mauer
05-11-2008, 21:41
Cut the crap, demerits for no spoiler.

BCLG100
01-02-2009, 22:16
So i just sent an application form off to do a law conversion course, unfortunatly the paper part is supposedly due in by monday but i doubt it'll get there till thursday or friday. Luckily the choosing is done in two batches but it means i might not get my first choice.

Either way i'll see what happens, its only ten quid to apply, i might have applied to late but i'd regret it if i didn't try. My first choice offers a course which if i take a couple of other modules i walk away with an entire law degree rather than simply a diploma, wouldn't mind having two degrees.

In other news, my dissertation is slowly gathering steam, i've written about 3k of the required 12 k with ~2k done in the past week whilst a very detailed plan has been made for a further 3k. If anyone wants to read it they're welcome but its not very interesting! (unless you like Ottoman history or the Military Revolution)

Finally i've got 3 other essays due in this term, 23rd of feb, 27th of feb, 8th of march and my dissertation due in on the 27th of March with last submission date for revision being the 1st of March. Grand total of 24k words to do, not including bibliographies and all that crap.

In good news my folks are springing for a family holiday in july, we're going over to America, living on a boat for a week and swimming with dolphins, then staying in florida for a week, they mentioned something about perhaps swimming with the manities- we'll see what happens there but should be a good time to chill out :)

Shabbaman
02-02-2009, 10:56
24k words doesn't sound like a big task for you to accomplish; that's usually what you spam in a day.

BCLG100
02-02-2009, 12:53
Yeah but like 12 of them words are intelligent, all 24k need to be.

BCLG100
20-04-2009, 01:03
So i finished my dissertation, i was thinking about posting it and seeing what you guys thought but then i wondered how much interest there would be in a study on Ottoman history, if there is some i can post it up :)

One essay i wrote this term got the highest grade the tutor had ever given for any undergraduate essay, apparantly i 'discovered' something, its a fairly inconsequential thing relating to Tudor historians but i thought it was pretty cool.

Anyways next year, with the required grades and me working out some way to pay for it, i'm moving to london to study law. I do a conversion course (GDL) and then i decide which avenue i want to go in.

Before that i've got my exams but after the dissertation (and the fact i've not really ever revised for something before) i'm really struggling to find some motivation to revise for these exams, i've read about 5 books for an exam in a couple of weeks but thats not that much in the grand scheme of things. My exams are also annoyingly placed, only a couple of days between each one- 28, 30, 13, 15. the two week break will be useful i guess!

mauer
20-04-2009, 02:33
I wouldn't mind reading it.

BCLG100
21-04-2009, 03:22
Well it should hopefully be attached to this post if i've done it right!

double spaced as that is how we're supposed to hand our essays in :)

Shabbaman
21-04-2009, 10:28
Well it should hopefully be attached to this post if i've done it right!

double spaced as that is how we're supposed to hand our essays in :)

You got that from ze internets! Fraud! ;)

Anyway, so we can expect the usual flood of spam to resume?

BCLG100
21-04-2009, 12:44
You got that from ze internets! Fraud! ;)

Anyway, so we can expect the usual flood of spam to resume?

*shrug* it seems as i grow up i have less and less time to mince about, i've got exams and then a break, then i'm going on holiday to America! (do we have any folk that live in Florida) then i start my law course (which seems to be a 60-70 hour week!)

Shabbaman
21-04-2009, 13:15
If law courses in the UK are remotely similar to dutch law courses, that 70 study hours are equal to 7 hours of actual labor.

mauer
21-04-2009, 23:30
*shrug* it seems as i grow up i have less and less time to mince about, i've got exams and then a break, then i'm going on holiday to America! (do we have any folk that live in Florida) then i start my law course (which seems to be a 60-70 hour week!)
I think KC is in Tennessee, I'm in Texas, Whomp is in Illinois, Tubby is in NC or SC (I think), SZ is wisconsin (?), romeo is in SD, and Rob is in Louisiana. Not sure of any other US of A'ers on here.

barbu1977
22-04-2009, 01:35
I think KC is in Tennessee, I'm in Texas, Whomp is in Illinois, Tubby is in NC or SC (I think), SZ is wisconsin (?), romeo is in SD, and Rob is in Louisiana. Not sure of any other US of A'ers on here.

Akots is in Houston and Garhamiam is on the est coast but I'm not sure where, Pennsylvannia?

BCLG100
22-04-2009, 02:49
I take it none of them are near florida?

mauer
22-04-2009, 04:36
Akots is in Houston and Garhamiam is on the est coast but I'm not sure where, Pennsylvannia?
Bah, I knew I'd miss someone.

Not really. Rob and KC are your closest, but still a stretch.

Robi D
22-04-2009, 08:04
Your essay is very interesting, i enjoyed reading it but if i may make a point or two (not that it really matters)

Firstly while not a central theme i was surprised that you did not look into the subjugation of non-muslims and dhimmitude practised by the ottomans.

Also the ottomans abducted children of the conquered foes to raise them to be warriors for the empire.

More curious then anything as to why these two topics weren't approached given that the essay as a whole was very comprehensive

BCLG100
22-04-2009, 14:49
Your essay is very interesting, i enjoyed reading it but if i may make a point or two (not that it really matters)

Firstly while not a central theme i was surprised that you did not look into the subjugation of non-muslims and dhimmitude practised by the ottomans.

Also the ottomans abducted children of the conquered foes to raise them to be warriors for the empire.

More curious then anything as to why these two topics weren't approached given that the essay as a whole was very comprehensive

Well the period i looked at was 1450-1560 really, i spoke in quite great length on the Seriat (islamic religious law) and it's prominence over all other forms of law, i also mentioned how other religions were treated, subservient law, taxes etc- the dissertation was limitedby words and i still went over the limit but my tutor told me that it would be fine therefore i couldn't go off at great length about something which didn't add a reasonable argument to my thesis :)

I did speak at great length about that second point, it's called the devshirme (in arabic essentially this means collection) system, the children were raised in the Janissary corps and to a lesser extent some of the cavalry divisions. However, the Palace and the administration tended to get first pick of the children so it was predominantly the worse of those taken which became soldiers. These children (using that term loosely, the age taken was from 8-18 or thereabouts) were predominantly taken from the balkan region as the loophole was found in the Seriat where they were able to enslave those which had not been under the jurisdiction of Mohammed.

Thanks for reading it though, hope this has answered your statements/questions etc.

Robi D
22-04-2009, 15:33
Well the period i looked at was 1450-1560 really, i spoke in quite great length on the Seriat (islamic religious law) and it's prominence over all other forms of law, i also mentioned how other religions were treated, subservient law, taxes etc- the dissertation was limitedby words and i still went over the limit but my tutor told me that it would be fine therefore i couldn't go off at great length about something which didn't add a reasonable argument to my thesis :)

I did speak at great length about that second point, it's called the devshirme (in arabic essentially this means collection) system, the children were raised in the Janissary corps and to a lesser extent some of the cavalry divisions. However, the Palace and the administration tended to get first pick of the children so it was predominantly the worse of those taken which became soldiers. These children (using that term loosely, the age taken was from 8-18 or thereabouts) were predominantly taken from the balkan region as the loophole was found in the Seriat where they were able to enslave those which had not been under the jurisdiction of Mohammed.

Thanks for reading it though, hope this has answered your statements/questions etc.

I didn't really think about the word limit so i take your point on that.

With the devshirme that is me suffering from old age:o. As soon as i saw the word in your reply it jogged my memory of it.

Anyway it was good to read, hope you get a good mark/score for your essay

killercane
06-05-2009, 02:03
If you wanna come to Atlanta I go down there every once in a few to visit family. I'll buy you some beers and dinner... but still an awful long way if you are going to Miami/South Florida.

BCLG100
04-10-2009, 19:48
Hey,

So i've not been here for awhile, figured i'd update this.

Firstly my initial reason for not posting was that i was on holiday, Florida was really nice as was Bimini and the surrounding areas. Swimming with dolphins is definatly an experience i'd recommend if you get the chance (wild dolphins that is- i dunno how much fun it'd have been otherwise).

Probably more reason for me not posting was that my long term relationship with Em ended, i was devastated and promptly took it out on my liver. Im feeling better about it all now but frankly i didn't want to bother you all with my whiny posts about her and tbh i felt that i should force myself out the house as much as i can.

And then this past month i've moved down to London, definatly a weird experience, especially considering how i thought it was going to be when i got here (read above) but now i've got to know all my housemates it's definatly one i've been enjoying even if my bank balance is not so much- honestly how do they get away with charging that much for public transport???

Then there is law school, i've only been here for two weeks and have already been set 40 hours work for next week and apparently this is a weekly occurance. At least it's interesting i guess.

Anyways that's my life story these past couple of months, i hope everyone is doing ok and i'll try and remember to stop back and check the boards more often.

barbu1977
04-10-2009, 20:44
I'm happy to ear form you!

To bad about that relation ending. But there is plenty of fish left in the sea. Have a great time in law school. School,, housemates, party, that is the good times!

Shabbaman
05-10-2009, 11:19
Hey, good thing someone got you back to posting here ;)

Ending relationships is always tough. I can imagine you don't want to share/bother your pain wit the whole world, but don't keep it all to yourself. Talking is about it is a part of the mourning process ;) Although I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to share it with ze internets... One thing do: don't stop doing the things you used to enjoy (e.g. spam), you need something to brighthen up your day.

BCLG100
08-02-2010, 02:09
Hey guys! watching that rugby lite thing you Americans call 'football' frankly i'm pretty sure i move around watching the game than half the players do what with all the breaks.

Anywhoo, figured i would give a quick update. I noticed a post by barbu saying i was missing (though this was months ago!) part of the reason is i have lost my civ discs after a re-install plus i am insanely busy.

So the thing taking up the majority of my life right now is law school. I knew it would be hard work but it is quite insane how much work it is. I'm pretty sure i could do more work but i still generally work for about 6 hours a day bare minimum. Recently it has been a lot more as i've had coursework due in.

Extra curricular activities are immense as well, apparently it makes me look better but i've not seen much benefits so far. It's tough cracking this old boys network when you know nobody inside it.

Some of it is really fun though, the law course itself seems like i'm learning a lot of it simply for the sake of it rather than for any practical use but i've joined a tribunal service (you've got to pass a test to get in) where you represent real people in tribunals. Last week i represented a lady who had been wrongly denied her disability allowance, i won her case for her, in the end she won £4000 in backdated payments and additional money for the rest of her life. I subsequently had her solicitor ask me for a copy of my submission on her behalf so she could maybe use it for someone else. Was great fun and nice to make a difference in someones life even if 4k is comparitevely small.

Otherwise London is going well, very expensive but beginning to know my way around-at least some of the areas anyways!

Relationship stuff is the same as it was but i'm feeling a lot better about that now. Even been on a couple of dates! will see what happens but i barely have the time to look after myself these days nevermind having to think of someone else!

I don't know if any of you saw on the news, maybe meli will have done due to the UK thing but the town where my folks lived were in the floods so was quite odd going back there at christmas for a few days and seeing the place a complete mess!

I tried posting at the other site a few other times about a month ago, seems every other person is a prick these days so promptly stopped! Doesn't seem to be very active around here anymore- what's up with that?

akots
08-02-2010, 03:37
Good to her from you. Indeed, it has been quite over here for a while, but there is a big game going on, so apparently everyone is focused on writing their spoilers.

BCLG100
08-02-2010, 12:16
Ah right, i've noticed a couple of spoilers for it. Only managed to have time for a passing look at the robi/mauer carry on movie occuring. I shall have to take a look at the others! especially as yours appears to be in English, thus half an hour of babelfish is avoided!

Shabbaman
08-02-2010, 13:13
Even been on a couple of dates!

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Doesn't seem to be very active around here anymore- what's up with that?

I blame you for the lack of spam.

BCLG100
13-03-2010, 00:53
Worryingly i'm getting close to Annares in terms of spam count now and with my posts per day still above shabba i may one day overtake him. Contrary to shabba though i don't open up a whole new thread to tell everyone how i'm not going to spam anymore ;)

Also tomorrow i have a Scholarship interview with Inner Temple
http://www.innertemple.org.uk/

They are the law inn i am already a member of and they have already given me a substantial grant for this years course but this is for next year (which they have guaranteed me the same amount again which is great) but next years course is almost double in price.

So tomorrow i am getting interviewed by what will probably be at least 2 QC's and probably 2 benchers and then a junior ish barrister
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Counsel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bencher

I am a little concerned about it, the extra money would make a big difference to me next year. The only problem is that competition is intense, very intense and I frankly have no idea how i stood out last time so have no idea what to expect really. In addition to the standard interview process we are given a case to read 30 mins before the interview based on unseen material which i also have no idea what to expect!

Mostly i dont have an answer to 'you applied last year, you got a sizeable grant then so why are you re-applying?' This is worrying me as i don't want to appear greedy but my scholarship was unnamed but if you manage to pick up a named scholarship (in that it was named after someone for those a little slow on the uptake!) then that looks just that little bit more awesome when actually coming to apply for a job. Any *serious* ideas, answers on a postcard!

mauer
13-03-2010, 01:07
Wear deoderant. Pants will help too.

BCLG100
13-03-2010, 01:57
Nice one, i was thinking of suiting up. By thinking, i mean i will be.

Furiey
13-03-2010, 12:02
Best of Luck - Don't Panic!

Shabbaman
21-03-2010, 13:08
'you applied last year, you got a sizeable grant then so why are you re-applying?'

"I spent all your money on beer" sounds like a reasonable response to me.

BCLG100
21-03-2010, 22:39
They didn't ask in the end. Was a very very tough interview though, intellectually that is, they questioned me about the case i had to read and the legal principles involved and to the extent that moral principles were involved and then asked my opinion on a variety of issues only barely related to the case.

It didn't go badly i dont think but whether it went well to get additional money, i doubt it :)

Beam
21-03-2010, 22:59
Put "I don't want to appear greedy" on a postcard, hand it to them while keeping a straight, intelligent, charming and seriously trustworthy face?

BCLG100
22-03-2010, 00:14
Well I think they understand that this course is double the price of the last one and we don't get any student funding, one of the QC's was about to mention it and i got a bit worried but she seemed to veer away from it.

mauer
22-03-2010, 00:39
Your British accent must have surely impressed them though. At least us Yanks fall for a good one anyways.

BCLG100
13-04-2010, 21:20
Noticed earlier today that I'd gone past Annares...

barbu1977
13-04-2010, 21:23
Impressive!

Next step: Shabba

BCLG100
13-04-2010, 21:43
2 out of 3 posts in this forum seem to be made by me or him so that'll be a challenge! :D

socralynnek
13-04-2010, 22:04
Congratulations. Ten more posts and I at least pass Erikk

BCLG100
26-08-2010, 20:00
5000 posts now, maybe this two week holiday will cut it down!

Furiey
26-08-2010, 21:28
Don't think I'm likely to catch up, mind you I'm doing pretty well in the open pitboss game thread, maybe all I need is it to go down every day and I'll get there [bomb]

Beorn
26-08-2010, 22:09
Does subbing for you include substitute-spamming as well?

BCLG100
26-08-2010, 22:12
Obviously by asking that question it does, someone has to keep shabba from simply talking to himself.

ProPain
10-09-2010, 16:31
5000 posts. That's worth a congratulations.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Shabbaman
10-09-2010, 16:59
someone has to keep shabba from simply talking to himself.

Yes, please...

BCLG100
10-09-2010, 18:08
Now if only I could find an avatar

socralynnek
11-09-2010, 08:44
Avatars...that's the same nonsense than a signature.

BCLG100
11-09-2010, 15:48
I was actually thinking of you when i posted, tempted to put 'being without an avatar since 2009'

ProPain
11-09-2010, 18:09
You should get an avvie though, makes it much easier for the rest of us to recognise your posts :)

BCLG100
12-09-2010, 02:41
Presumably i'm the only prolific poster without one so perhaps the absence of an avvie can itself represent it?

Robi D
13-09-2010, 14:02
Presumably i'm the only prolific poster without one so perhaps the absence of an avvie can itself represent it?

That actually makes sense to me :confused: I must be losing my mind

ProPain
13-09-2010, 15:13
That's weird cause your post sorta shows BCLG isnt entirely correct here :)

Shabbaman
13-09-2010, 16:03
[lol]

I am confused by all those avatarless posters.

BCLG100
13-09-2010, 18:15
If someone wants to make me an avatar i'll use it. Until then *shrug*

Beorn
13-09-2010, 18:40
Here's my take on it:

BCLG100
13-09-2010, 19:05
And now everyone's happy

Beorn
13-09-2010, 20:54
A shame about the resize blur. I'd have to change the font to make it fit in 80 pixels.

Edit: there, might be better.

BCLG100
13-09-2010, 21:47
I'm going to stick with the old one. I'm not going for perfection :)

Beorn
13-09-2010, 22:03
Yeah, you're going for lazyness :p

BCLG100
16-02-2011, 12:58
Sorry guys, been really busy with the course. There's so much work to do for it (or perhaps i'm just doing the required amount of work for the course for once) which has left me with very little time and that time I have spent either drinking or at the gym.

Soon I may actually have to get a real job which i'm looking forward to as i'm getting quite sick of never having any money!

I also noticed PP is getting alarmingly close to my p/c so i'll try and use that as an incentive to come back and spam some more.

socralynnek
16-02-2011, 13:12
Stop drinking. Saves you a lot of money. OK, water should still be permitted...

Postcount? Quality matters. Oh no. Not here.´The more the better.

BCLG100
23-03-2011, 19:55
Still gyming, on saturday gone i ran 11 miles in roughly 85 minutes. The Sunday before that i did roughly 13 miles in 100 minutes.

Work is cerazy, had an advocacy exam today which i think went ok and i've got another exam on friday before a series of mock trials over the next two weeks and another exam on the 11th of April before my two huge exams on the 27th and 28th of April.

Shabbaman
23-03-2011, 22:28
Well, as long as you're having fun...

BCLG100
24-03-2011, 01:36
Yeah.... It's interesting in parts though at times i do long for a boring 9-5 office job where my only concern is which day i'll go out on- friday or saturday.

Shabbaman
24-03-2011, 09:29
Better get a less boring job then. If it's the beer in the weekend that makes life interesting it'll be tough to keep it up in the long run. In the end you're spending more time at work than in the pub.

BCLG100
24-03-2011, 11:45
I don't have a job i just have a tonne of exams.

BCLG100
07-07-2011, 18:41
So now I am Barrister BCLG100 BA (hons) LL.B. (hons) esq.

Finished my course with an 81% average so very pleased!

barbu1977
07-07-2011, 19:14
Congratulations!

Are you job hunting or do you have one?

(For those like me who had no clue on the difference between a Barrister and a Layer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrister )

Furiey
07-07-2011, 20:21
Congratulations!

Shabbaman
07-07-2011, 20:54
Nice, congratulations [beer1]

Mistfit
07-07-2011, 22:28
Congratulations.. whatever that means.. care to elaborate to those non-Euro (me) people what this designation does (besides sounding impressive)?

akots
08-07-2011, 03:16
[beer1]

BCLG100
11-07-2011, 12:25
Thanks guys!

Congratulations!

Are you job hunting or do you have one?

(For those like me who had no clue on the difference between a Barrister and a Layer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrister )

Congratulations.. whatever that means.. care to elaborate to those non-Euro (me) people what this designation does (besides sounding impressive)?

I would probably be in some form of construction as a 'layer' ;)

Essentially in England we have two main classes of lawyer; a Barrister and a Solicitor (though the term is still predominantly used for solicitors). A very basic distinction between the two is that in day to day life a person would have far more contact with a solicitor and can plod through life without ever needing a barrister as a Solicitor sorts out all that is required; wills, divorces, housing extensions etc.

A barrister offers far more specialised advice (i.e. expensive) and is geneally the go-to person to appear in court should a case reach that stage (the stereotypical english law person is a barrister with the whole wig and gown ensemble).

So my BA is Bachelor of Arts
the LL.B is a law degree
the esq. is a term which is traditionally only applied to those who have passed the Bar.

So right now i can call myself a barrister but still have to complete a year of professional training before I can actually practice as a barrister, unfortunatly competition for that is immense and so i currently have no idea if/when I will be able to commence it so, yep Barbu, I am currently looking for an interim job.

Mistfit
11-07-2011, 20:18
So a trial lawyer as opposed to someone who can do legal work for you such as documents and advice.. cool.. congrats..

You need to get a Duke in front of your name and a 3rd or 5th after to make it sound even more pretentious. Duke Barrister BCLG100 BA (hons) LL.B. (hons) esq. III

BCLG100
12-07-2011, 11:40
So a trial lawyer as opposed to someone who can do legal work for you such as documents and advice.. cool.. congrats..

You need to get a Duke in front of your name and a 3rd or 5th after to make it sound even more pretentious. Duke Barrister BCLG100 BA (hons) LL.B. (hons) esq. III

[lol]

We do still do advices however these are more aimed towards the professional clients (solicitors) who then disassemble it and present it to the actual lay client. (I.e. just show them the conclusion rather than the hours of painstaking legal research).

Shabbaman
12-07-2011, 14:58
You should change your nickname to BALLB100. On a more serious note, considering your title, is it fair to assume you don't have a masters degree, or is the LLB what would be a master of arts (I'd usually call it master of ass, but this still is a serious note) over here on the good side of the channel?

BCLG100
12-07-2011, 18:32
You should change your nickname to BALLB100. On a more serious note, considering your title, is it fair to assume you don't have a masters degree, or is the LLB what would be a master of arts (I'd usually call it master of ass, but this still is a serious note) over here on the good side of the channel?

Nope i don't have a masters, the LL.B. stands for bachelor of laws essentially. So now I have two degrees and can call myself a barrister. I kind of feel that MA's are only useful if you plan to go further in to academia so I would see it largely as a waste of time unless I could get one for cheap.

Beorn
13-07-2011, 00:12
Do you have your wig yet? Or do you plan to grow your hair for it?

BCLG100
13-07-2011, 13:16
My law inn does not allow its members to wear a wig until after my call (graduation ceremony) and that is not until October so i've not got one. Also because they are so expensive it seems a little silly to get one before i've actually got a job in the pipeline (£700)

Beorn
13-07-2011, 17:33
Jeebus, then it's worth it to get your hair grown.

barbu1977
13-07-2011, 17:47
Are wigs still mandatory for Judges and Barristers in the UK?

BCLG100
13-07-2011, 19:10
Depends on the court and nature of the case. Wigs are required for criminal in the Crown Court and above. Quite a lot of civil work no longer requires a wig (do most of it sitting down as well).

Wigs can be dispensed with if necessary but the general principle is that a barrister owns a wig as you never know whe it might be required.

Beorn
13-07-2011, 20:06
So it's an expensive cultural phallic symbol of power and prestigious social status, in the form of long curly hair. England is weird.

BCLG100
14-07-2011, 13:40
So it's an expensive cultural phallic symbol of power and prestigious social status, in the form of long curly hair. England is weird.

Or the whole ensemble (wig, gown etc) makes it so that when the barristers all appear in court they look so much like each other so as not to differentiate between sides but rather the judge will judge upon what is being said rather than what he sees before him.

Beam
14-07-2011, 15:09
Sounds very Borg-like to me

BCLG100
09-08-2011, 15:59
It's absolutely mental here right now, there is a noticeable lack of people on the streets right now. Luckily there is bugger all to rob in Bow so there's not been anything directly outside but it's very odd how close it all is. 100 or so kids squared up against about 30 police officers about 200 metres down the road last night but it eventually calmed down other than that there has been rioting going on a mile east, west and south of me. That's not even the stuff which is making it to the main news, that stuff is luckily further away from me. Feels like i've stepped back in to the eighties though.

Mistfit
09-08-2011, 19:24
Or early nineties Los Angeles...

Furiey
09-08-2011, 21:00
I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the news! I lived in Whitechapel, Stepney, Mile End then the Isle of Dogs in the 80s, glad I'm not living on London now, but then the police around here are preparing in case there's trouble in Luton which is the closest it is likely to get around here.

Beorn
10-08-2011, 00:51
Hope you guys are all well.

On the flip side, with all the airtime devoted to showing the damage, I was wondering: how and why did it start? What little info I could find was that there was a sour turn when they moved in to arrest a suspectedly heavily armed organized crime African/Caribbean guy, a policeman was shot and the suspect died of gunshot. It's a bad day at the office for sure, but does anyone know how it came to where you guys are standing?

BCLG100
12-08-2011, 01:38
Hope you guys are all well.

On the flip side, with all the airtime devoted to showing the damage, I was wondering: how and why did it start? What little info I could find was that there was a sour turn when they moved in to arrest a suspectedly heavily armed organized crime African/Caribbean guy, a policeman was shot and the suspect died of gunshot. It's a bad day at the office for sure, but does anyone know how it came to where you guys are standing?

There's an inquest relating to the shooting of a man. Police initially claimed he had a gun and fired at them, from what i've gathered they've said thus far this didn't happen, as of yet no-one is entirely sure what happened, I think it is fairly safe to say that he wasn't heavily armed though. Then there was an initially peaceful march last saturday to the police station with the hope that it would encourage the police to show more accountability (justice for the shot man). From there things went mental, it turned into a riot which the police were slow to shut down, it was predominantly in the same area (about a square mile if not less) but the police didn't react very well and looting ensued.

The following nights though had barely nothing to do with what had happened the previous night and was merely a reaction to the police being quite slow in stopping the riot and kids noticing they could get away with looting hence why it happened in numerous places across London for two nights before the rest of the country realised and there was more rioting the following night in other locations.

Beorn
12-08-2011, 07:18
Wow, every part of that makes so little sense, and yet ...

Shabbaman
12-08-2011, 09:26
Feels like i've stepped back in to the eighties though.

You have conscious memories of the eighties? ;)

BCLG100
12-08-2011, 10:58
You have conscious memories of the eighties? ;)

I know, anyone would have thought i'd studied history....

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 01:23
So I have a job now! I work for Thomson Reuters and a subsidiary Sweet and Maxwell (big law publishers) It's nice to finally have the prospect of something to do other than go to the gym on a daily basis. I start on Monday!

Beam
05-01-2012, 01:38
Gratz Simon, exactly what are you supposed to be doing there?

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 01:52
Essentially I spend most mornings at the Royal Courts of Justice (High Court, Court of Appeal) and whilst there I pick up all the documentation of cases occuring that day. I then summarise these documents and upload them and the summaries to the internet. During the afternoon I conduct indepth legal research on behalf of clients who ring me up asking me to find a case. It's not exactly what I want to do and doesn't pay immensely well but i'm just pleased to have a job!

Shabbaman
05-01-2012, 10:01
You have to summarise the spam, oh the irony :D Anyway, congratulations. I think it's good to start with a job that isn't exactly what you're looking for, that keeps you from getting complacent. Hopefully it doesn't pay like crap.

Furiey
05-01-2012, 12:47
Congratulations!

Any job at the moment is better than none. I start my teacher training next week so only 2 years before I can get paid enough to live on!

Darkness
05-01-2012, 13:07
Congratulations! :)

barbu1977
05-01-2012, 16:49
Nice!

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 18:11
Congratulations!

Any job at the moment is better than none. I start my teacher training next week so only 2 years before I can get paid enough to live on!

My friends really enjoyed their training. Though a few of them did science degrees so they got funding for it (one got roughly 12 grand to do it!)

Thanks for the congrats guys!

Furiey
05-01-2012, 21:55
My friends really enjoyed their training. Though a few of them did science degrees so they got funding for it (one got roughly 12 grand to do it!)

Thanks for the congrats guys!

Yes, I missed out on that as it was stopped just as started looking. I'm doing it in the evening alongside my usual teaching during the day so going to be even less time for game :( I am enjoying the teaching though which is the main thing.

Lt. Killer M
06-01-2012, 11:14
well, summarizing that stuff you can surely make good use of this:
[spam]

and congrats!

ProPain
10-01-2012, 13:16
Congratulations!!

BCLG100
08-03-2013, 13:32
Hello!

Well, quite a bit has happened since last year. Lets get the boring/unhappy stuff out of the way. I'm still at the same job due to being quite lazy finding anything, the pay is awful and the work is boring/meaningless/pure drudgery. The only decent thing about the job is the two guys in my immediate team who I get on very well with.

In other news I began dating a girl early last year and have been seeing her ever since. Nearly a month ago we moved in together which is very exciting and weird. It's the first time I've had a place for two and still getting used to the novelty of it. Everything seems to be going well following it, a couple more arguments but we expected that.

They're probably the two main things going on in my life right now. I still try and work out regularly but that suffered a dip when i hurt my ankle a few months ago so i'm just trying to get back in to it now.

I'm going to Paris next month as well!

Shabbaman
08-03-2013, 15:30
So is it the girl or the dull work that keeps your postcount down?

Socrates
08-03-2013, 20:39
I would advise you to find a new job if the current one is awful.

Living as two in the same place is also a novelty for me. Better have arguments NOW than later, I suppose. ;)

What are you going to do in the City of Light anyway?

BCLG100
11-03-2013, 12:06
So is it the girl or the dull work that keeps your postcount down?

We still don't have internet in the place yet, so partly that. Partly because it's boring to spam by oneself!

I would advise you to find a new job if the current one is awful.

Living as two in the same place is also a novelty for me. Better have arguments NOW than later, I suppose. ;)

What are you going to do in the City of Light anyway?

Yeah, still quite tricky to find any decent jobs yet though!

Just going for a wander, I booked it for her birthday and we're going on the Eurostar (never tried that so it should be fun). Probably just all the touristy stuff unless you have any recommendations? We've both been to Paris a few times so there's no need to go anywhere in particular.