PDA

View Full Version : Away and back thread

Aggie
16-05-2003, 23:46
In case you wonder why you don't receive a PBEM save from me: didn't you read my sig? [tongue]

Seriously, you'll hear from me again in two weeks. Bye [wavey]

ProPain
16-05-2003, 23:54
HF Aggie. Hope you dont leave to early tomorrow, your post being uploaded 00:46 am local time :)

WildFire
30-05-2003, 13:45
Yay, your almost back!

Aggie
31-05-2003, 15:56
I'm back!

Aggie
26-05-2004, 12:47
I will be on a holiday in France until June 5th. So no PBEM and SG's until then :)

Beam
26-05-2004, 12:53
Have a good time and enjoy Aggie!

Socrates
26-05-2004, 13:06
You guys all go to France !! :) Where do you go exactly ?

P.S. : Be sure to spend a lot of money in our beautiful country !!... ;)

Pastorius
26-05-2004, 13:23
Or avoid doing so, so that Krys dont have to suffer from increased interest rates because the ECB decides inflation in France is too high...

oh wait... they are running a deficit, so every bit of increased demand would actually help them...nevermind

Entirely ON topic: Have a good trip Aggie, take many pictures of weird French stuff ;)

Aggie
07-06-2004, 07:34
I'm back. And I learned that you don't have to leave Europe for great scenery [love] But I will probably be at the other side of the world soon again, because our continent remains a crowded place.

I will post a few pics of the trip on Webshots soon and add a link to it here :)

anarres
07-06-2004, 13:44
Welcome back Aggie! [dance]

Grille
08-06-2004, 06:35
Yeah, welcome back!:)

Aggie
08-06-2004, 18:59
I added a few impressions on my picture site: http://community.webshots.com/user/ageling.

ERIKK
08-06-2004, 19:31
Cool pictures Aggie! :)

Aggie
02-09-2004, 06:34
I will be on a holiday (Australia) from September 3rd to October 5th. I haven't actively looked for a DDPP replacement (yet). I have had other issues to handle that were -to me- more important (RL stuff...).

yndy
02-09-2004, 07:09
Aggie how many holidays do you have in an average year, you seem to be on and off at all times ;)

Aggie
02-09-2004, 07:53
Ehm... 45... [blush] All part of the outsourcing deal, to make a transition from the bank to the ICT company more appealing. I haven't used up a lot of these holidays because of my long absence.

EDIT: Actually we all have a 36 hour per week contract (and are payed for 36 hours per week). However, I decided to work 40 hours per week and use the 4 x 52 hours (26 days) for holidays. It's allowed in my company, as opposed to the arrangements of the bank.

Plux
02-09-2004, 08:35
wow. any vacancies @ your company??

Have fun in Oz. :)

Aggie
03-10-2004, 09:53
I'm back! Australia was well worth a visit! I made a couple excellent pics with my new 6.1 megapixel D-SLR and 55-200 mm lens :D (Hong Kong is a great place to shop!) Expect some great ones from kangaroos, koala's and... platypuses [coool]!

I probably won't play DDPP or the anarres game before tomorrow. I first have to upload 2000 pics.

Pastorius
03-10-2004, 10:28
WOW! Trés cool. Very nice camera man [cool]
Was it expensive?
Welcome back! [jump]

Aggie
03-10-2004, 16:55
Well, it was about 150 Euro cheaper than the cheapest price in Europe. So it was a bargain :)

Socrates
03-10-2004, 22:41
Aggie is back ! [jumpD] 2000 pics ? Bah, my brother came back with more than 5000 IIRC, but that was over 6 months... So, you went to New-Zealand and Oz, I suppose you now KNOW that you can't go further away from Europe ? I HOPE YOU GOT IT, DEAR AGGIE !!! [joker]

anarres
04-10-2004, 10:41
Great to have you back Aggie. [dance]

Lt. Killer M
04-10-2004, 10:43
aggie, bring a CD with the pics to the meet, willya?

pleeeeease

Aggie
05-10-2004, 05:28
Killer, will do :)

I posted a couple of pics on my place on the web: http://community.webshots.com/user/ageling

Aggie
07-10-2004, 16:11
I just added more pics... (Hong Kong and Australia...)

digger760
07-10-2004, 16:35
hmmm might have a look..see if i recognise any places.

digger760
07-10-2004, 16:51
about the golfing: There are 2 types of desert courses:

1. Sand fairway and sand "green", if the ball is on the fairway and within a metre of a blade of grass, then you are allowed to use the grass as a tee. The sand green is soaked in diesel, which can be raked so that you path to the hole is not interferred with by foot-prints from previous golfers.

2. Laterite cap fairway and sand green, similar to above, except the fairway is on a ferrous-nickel-clay surgface, which is like red concrete. You can get a pretty good run on this and if lucky enough, it is possible to reach a green in one shot on a par 5.

Desert course rough - usual spinafex grass, which is rampant and like needles. If you hit your ball into the rough dont bother. You will either prick yourself to death on the spinfex or the snakes will get you.

Other dangers - Emu's eat your golf ball!

digger760
07-10-2004, 16:52
Apart from that..looks like you seen more of Australia than me Aggie!

ERIKK
08-10-2004, 05:38
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

Killer, will do :)

I posted a couple of pics on my place on the web: http://community.webshots.com/user/ageling

Hehe,

going through your pics Aggie, right now from/in Cairns. I will be in Australie for one more week en will then head to Tokyo. I was in Sydney, Katoomba, Bayron Bay, Brisbane, Hervey Bay - Fraser Island, Arlie Beach - Whitsundays, Savannah outback (Julia Creek, Normanton, Undara national Park) and now Cairns.

I see we did much the same but one thing strikes me: how come you are you so white on the boat at the Whitsundays? You must have been burnt to hell out there! That's dangerous man!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/20041085347_erikonaboat.JPG
78.54KB

Another nice whitsunday pic:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/200410853641_WhitsundayIsland_.JPG
56.82KB

Aggie
08-10-2004, 05:48
Nice pic of the whitsundays! Sadly we were there too short to reach that point [sad] About me being so white: I have yet to see people whiter than me! This combined with UV factor 13 means that I have to be very very careful [sad]

We did see a couple of the same highlights on the east coast, however I made a small detour to reach Cairns [lol]

Aggie
08-10-2004, 07:10
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Desert course rough - usual spinafex grass, which is rampant and like needles. If you hit your ball into the rough dont bother. You will either prick yourself to death on the spinfex or the snakes will get you.

[rotfl] I know what you mean about those needles. At one point I tried to hide in the bush to photograph some eagles. Big mistake!

I have now seen a big piece of outback Australia, but next time I probably do a route similar to that of ERIKK to learn scuba-diving and spend more time under water :) Uluru and Kakadu and numerous other outback highlights are very beautiful, but a long long drive. That indeed was a once in a lifetime experience. That said...I'm thinking about a 4WD trip trough the outback, including the Kimberly in the NW and other Western Australia highlights. But I don't know if I have the guts to do it. Being all alone in the desert on unsealed roads...

Rik Meleet
25-10-2004, 00:33
Were you allowed to climb Ayers rock? I heard that since it was given back to the Aboriginals it is limited. It wasn't when I was there in 1991.
The most amazing thing about Ayers rock is the color-changes at dusk. If you are at the lookout position (where you took some pictures) you see it turning from orange to yellow, green, blue and purple to black. Really beautiful. Were you there at dusk?

Aggie
25-10-2004, 05:56
The rock is still in the hands of the white man, so the climb is still open, but discouraged (because the aborignals would grief when someone gets hurt while falling off). But it was closed due to the strong wind that day. I wouldn't have choosen to climb it anyway though.

We saw the sunsets on the Ayer's Rock and the Olgas and both were very beautiful, but frankly I think the rock is overrrated. Utah and Arizona are my favourite spots for strange rock formations, canyons and beautiful colours. Doesn't mean that is was great though. The empty lands are impressive :)

Aggie
04-02-2005, 14:28
I decided to test if my ruleset is still a sensible one. So I updated my SG discussion thread at CFC http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=80059&page=5 and suggested to play two games:

-OCC Demigod. Preferred wins are conquest or space race. Culture, UN are also allowed wins (but frowned upon [tongue] ).
-"All random settings" Sid spacerace. Last one ended in a stragic loss, but we did then capture the TGL to gain 45 techs. Which made me decide to ban it in the next try...

Yup, I'm weak [blush] I can't seem to get rid of the virus... You could indeed say that I'm back playing CIV.

Socrates
04-02-2005, 14:35
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

I decided to test if my ruleset is still a sensible one. So I updated my SG discussion thread at CFC http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=80059&page=5 and suggested to play two games:

-OCC Demigod. Preferred wins are conquest or space race. Culture, UN are also allowed wins (but frowned upon [tongue] ).
-"All random settings" Sid spacerace. Last one ended in a stragic loss, but we did then capture the TGL to gain 45 techs. Which made me decide to ban it in the next try...

Yup, I'm weak [blush] I can't seem to get rid of the virus... You could indeed say that I'm back playing CIV.

Aggie ? No !!! You agreed. You said it. No Civ3 ever. [blush2]

[lol]

I'm interested in the OCC SG, since I've never tried it and don't want to be in time-consuming SGs. I'll get to you if you agree. Laters, I'm at work. :D

Aggie
04-02-2005, 14:40
What can I say? My credibility has already gone since the last time I told that I would quit (december 2003) :) But don't blame the addict, blame CIV! I was clean for almost 6 months!

I advice you to read AG10 first then krys (first page of my SG discussion thread at CFC). It's the emperor OCCC and you'd see that the demigod will be a hell of a game. This won't be easy! I trust you to be a good team mate though, but don't underestimate it :)

Lt. Killer M
06-02-2005, 17:10
aggie, how is the girl figuring into this? ;) has she been dragging you back to the screen or do you use civ to get her to drag you away from it?

Aggie
10-03-2005, 14:12
I don't know for how long, but my civ time will be severely restricted. This time it's not civ-fatigue, but RL taking over. The good version that is.

Lt. Killer M
10-03-2005, 14:20
honeymoon alreaydy? [eek]

dum dum dum, anotherone bites the dust....

Aggie
10-03-2005, 14:29
No, that topic hasn't been discussed yet. But we have agreed to see each other more often. It basically means that I can't commit to other things, like playing SG's for the first few weeks at least. I will have time available but it is very difficult to predict when. Oh well, some things are more important than computer games I guess.

Pastorius
10-03-2005, 14:40
Indeed man, indeed. Good to see your mind is uncorrupted by civ :)

Lt. Killer M
10-03-2005, 14:46
aggie, that is great! I hope that you two turn out to be thre right two for each other [:]