PDA

View Full Version : New Opponent sought

romeothemonk
21-02-2006, 22:13
Greetings everyone. I have my copy of civ 4 and have played it a bit.
IMHO, civ4 as it stands now is a great multiplayer game, but a middling single player game.

Since you now know where I stand on the issue, I would like to utilize the multiplayer functionality of c4.

I am looking for a game with 1 other human and a to be determined number of AI.

Anything else is up for discussion.

I would like to keep it 2 humans, so we can do a power pitboss session or something to really get the game flowing in the early/boring years.

grahamiam
21-02-2006, 22:59
I'll have a go at it Romeo. I've been wanting to fool around with the pitboss thing as well (especially since reading Whomp's and Tubby's report on it).

I really like lake maps, if you're up for it (it has worldwrap, unlike great plains and inner sea). Maybe small, default number of AI's? Speed? water level? difficulty level (ok with up to Monarch so far, but higher needs more work)?

romeothemonk
21-02-2006, 23:48
Sounds like a plan grahamiam. I have played one c3c game with you and I would like a rematch of some kind. :)

Anyway lakes sounds good, Monarch is acceptable.

Any restrictions on civs? Any you don't want me to play? ( I Have only played 3 games of c4, but I really am partial to aggressive)

Small map sounds good as well.

grahamiam
22-02-2006, 00:06
I'm fine with anything. I'll play the Inca, just so we're both aggresive :D

And for AI, if Monarch is too much, we can always just do Noble or Prince. I'd rather they not do too much to influence the outcome. Anyways, I have to help my oldest with some homework. When do you want to try to start? I have a game tonight with my brother-in-law so tomorrow would be ok?

Matrix
22-02-2006, 00:07
Please keep in mind that you can't switch from PBEM to Pitboss/online MP. (Until the next patch.)

romeothemonk
22-02-2006, 00:17
Thanks Matrix. That information is disconcerting.
We will probably run it as a standard PBEM, just use MSN to set up some power sessions.

I was actually hoping to set the game up this weekend, as I am busy for the rest of the week in the evenings. I have workouts on Wed, Dinner Party on Thursday and a "Welcome back from the Sandbox Party" on friday.

Tubby Rower
22-02-2006, 00:48
I'd also be interested. Whomp & I have an ongoing appointment that when we are both bored we'll start up/continue a pitboss game. It would be nice to have a small 3 or 4 way pitboss game, but I'll step back into the shadows as my time right now is limited.

akots
22-02-2006, 01:53
I have a good news, it seems that it is quite possible to play custom scenario files in PBEM even under version 1.52. I've been experimenting with mapmaking for the past week and have now a good protocol on how to setup the things there.

Bad news, is that the new patch is coming and rather soon and saves can be incompatible. But also seems that the C3C 1.15/1.22 trick seems to works and you can actually run two versions of Civ4 from one computer.

Since I'm a scientist and I like to experiment, hows about I cook a map for you, start the game and you tell me how you are feeling. Just tell me the settings and other stuff that you want.

If you wish it to be easy and random, fine with me, less hassle for everyone. I'll come online later today.

Me myself, on the other hand, am looking for a decent MP game, 2 humans, no AI, duel or tiny map, short one, quickie, for a couple of evenings starting around 8pm US Central on weekdays up to midnight or any time on weekend.

grahamiam
22-02-2006, 02:21
yes, looks like we have quite a bit around now [:p] Since akots is way ahead of me, I'll pass on his offer (i mean, for fucks sake, I'm still struggling big time @ emporer, and monarch isn't guarenteed either [lol]) [afro] j/k :)

actually, i would like to try some 2-4 hrs games on pitboss. weekend type games. since i'm married with children, i usually have no social life, so saturdays are usually free [stoned]

Tubby Rower
22-02-2006, 02:34
I'll withdraw my position. I'm not sure that I have the time for it to be honest. maybe after the new baby comes in MAy I'll have some free time [lol]

romeothemonk
22-02-2006, 16:07
hmm, I like the ideas here.

I would like to let Akots make the map.

(grahamiam, I am married as well, but no kids yet, so my saturdays are mostly "free". I wonder why I end up spending so much money on my "Free" days.)

I will play the Aztec's. I really like them, but maybe I should mix it up and play as ghandi? hmm two ends of the same spectrum. I'll take a lurker poll on this subject. Most votes in 24 hours decides which race I play.

I have Tubby on MSN, so I can look him up and see if he is interested in playing a "Weekend/pitboss" game, once the new patch comes out.

I will leave all of the map details to the map creator, other than the fact that I would like to have the globe be circumnavigable.

Whomp
22-02-2006, 17:17
Aztecs for Romeo and Incans for Graham. Lots of early war action!

grahamiam
22-02-2006, 18:29
I played over gamespy last night and the response times were quite good. Not sure what the real advantage of pitboss vs gamespy is, but my brother-in-law's game is an on-going marathon speed game and they get together 1 time per week, playing 3hrs each time. seems to work pretty well for them. They were already up to 350AD when I started so they are moving at a pretty good clip.

akots
22-02-2006, 22:26
So, guys, what kind of map you want? MP or PBEM? What map properties?

grahamiam
22-02-2006, 23:02
looks like we're going pbem, small, normal # of AI, monarch.

I think we'll go with normal speed as well. The rest is up to you so suprise us (though it appears that Romeo wants some water and full rotation, so no lakes, plains, inner sea, etc.) I guess would leave us with continents, pangea, or terra style (I personally don't want an arch map) :)

I'm Inca; Romeo will be the Aztecs or Indians (will decide tomorrow).

romeothemonk
22-02-2006, 23:02
PBem please.

Otherwise I would leave the map properties up to the discretion of the mapmaker.

akots
22-02-2006, 23:12
OK, as soon as Romeo chooses the civ, I'll cook it. Should not take long. But be warned, there might be not so much forest there as on a regular map script. AI won't suffer much but human might, no free 1000 hammers per city to build every improvement. I'll leave a few forests though just for health and fun.

romeothemonk
25-02-2006, 18:33
ok,
I would like to be the aztecs then. The vote was 1-0.

When you finish, you can send to the first player. I will get my spoiler started shortly.

akots
25-02-2006, 19:42
But you know, you can play the same civ if you want against all the same AIs? OK, never mind, I got it, should be done today late at night or tomorrow. The speed is normal I assume?

romeothemonk
25-02-2006, 20:26
Correct, normal on the speed.

Random AI's please. Please no duplicate civs.

Tubby Rower
26-02-2006, 01:06
If your playing a PBEM I would like to play if you'll still have me.. I just didn't want to commit to a pitboss game.

I would like to be "random". I really don't care who I am.

akots
26-02-2006, 10:57
Ok, I've managed to create a map after much hassle. I'm telling you, these scripts are really weird and random map is barely playable in Civ4. It is somewhat even worse than in Civ3 with some aspects. Also, there is no Dr.A's utility and it is really impossible to redraw the whole map. Anyhow, I did what I could and tried to balance the stuff. I also playtested to make sure there are chances to survive for both human player. Just keep in mind, you've got to be careful and play it safely imho. I've mostly deleted a lot of forests especially near the start and tried to balance locations of both human players and AIs and also resources at the best of my abilities.

Anyhow, save had been mailed to Romeo and passwords to both players.

Map in Pangea, tropical climate, medium water level, 3 AI, Monarch as requested. Don't judge me too much, it is my first Civ4 map. If something goes wrong, please let me know. I can then correct the errors and stuff.

Good luck and please remember to keep the lurkers spoiled!

grahamiam
26-02-2006, 16:49
thanks akots [beer1] don't worry if it's not perfect, we're all still learning!

Tubby Rower
27-02-2006, 00:13
what email did you use for me?

romeothemonk
27-02-2006, 00:22
Actually, Tubby, I don't think you got added to this one.

If you want, I can start a PBEM vs you as well.

Just pick a race for you and one for me, and we can ask Akots to make a map, and we are off.

Tubby Rower
27-02-2006, 02:34
Well just after signing up for this one, my wife told me that she might go ballistic if she catches me playing civ after the baby is born in April/May. She said that she'll need about 6 weeks to get her normal brain back.

She doesn't like dealing with babies that can't respond back so that early time isn't a good time for her. After the baby can respond back she gets better. At least that's the way it was with Ana.

Romeo, if you catch me on a weekend maybe we could get a pitboss game started or sumpin. Usually 2 or 3 power sessions is all it takes for a pitboss game. So I might be able to squeeze it in before the baby's born