PDA

View Full Version : Barbu's Trivia Contest #4

barbu1977
20-02-2006, 21:01
- Submit Date is back on Friday.
- Removed unpopular Simpsons questions.

Geography
1- What CDZ memberer lives a couple of minutes drive from this landmark?
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/2006220205959_Rushmore_Main_View.jpg

2- What country is completely enclosed in South Africa.

History
3- (Hurray another Japanese General question :)), Who was the commander of the Imperial Japanese Navy in the first years of the WWII?
4- Born in Caracas in 1783, he is credited as leading many South American countries to independence (Venezuela, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Panama…)

Science
5- This metal is got his name because of his ability to form many colorful compounds and oxides.
6- What German mathematician and philosopher is credited with Newton for the invention of the Calculus (differential and integral mathematics)? If one influenced the other and stole his idea is still a debate to this day.

Culture and stuff
7- What ex-python has replaced Q in James Bond movies since the passing of Desmond Llewelyn?
8- This painting by Claude Monet gave is what gave the name of an art movement. What is this art movement?
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200622021054_question7.jpg

9- Name 2 songs on the 1987 Def Leppard album “Hysteria”
10- This Greek philosopher, student of Socrates, wrote The Apology of Socrates and The Republic.

Sports
For European memberers
11a- Name a Major League Baseball team in Whomp’s hometown?
For non-European memberers
11b- Name the first division soccer club in kryszcztov’s home town?

12- In the 1976 summer games, what gymnast was the first one to receive a perfect score? She took home 3 gold medals.

Edit: Typos

Darkness
20-02-2006, 21:22
Answers sent. Nice one again!

No Simpsons? :(;)

sz_matyas
20-02-2006, 21:49
A couple of these played to my strengths, but still a fairly challenging one. Hope it's enough to move up.

akots
21-02-2006, 06:46
Sent, seems somewhat more difficult than the previous ones.

Rik Meleet
21-02-2006, 10:24
I think I've scored 9 or 10.

Nice mix of questions.

DavidC
21-02-2006, 13:30
Not sure I can beat the 10 of Rik :(

digger760
21-02-2006, 16:59
I could only answer 5 of the Questions...even then i could get some wrong :(

romeothemonk
21-02-2006, 17:29
I am relatively sure of at least a 10.

I don't think that the "Flying Surrender Monkeys" are really a team though. (Loves playing Americanized soccer, really can't stand international soccer yet) Americanized soccer involves oodles of contact and pushing.

No offense to any Nation or nationalities. I am/was attempting to be funny by combining elements of the wizard of Oz and the Simpsons.

barbu1977
23-02-2006, 04:19
[bump] Last day to answer, result will be on Friday

barbu1977
24-02-2006, 15:36
The answers:

Geography
1- What CDZ memberer lives a couple of minutes drive from this landmark?
romeothemonk lives in Rapid city, South Dakota.
10/13

2- What country is completely enclosed in South Africa.
Lesoto
11/13. Many hesitated with Swaziland (Digger and Romeo answered it), but Swaziland as a small border with Mozambique.

History
3- (Hurray another Japanese General question :)), Who was the commander of the Imperial Japanese Navy in the first years of the WWII?
Yamamoto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamamoto_Isoroku
8/13 he was shot down by american fighters after they discovered a secret transmition giving his flight route.

4- Born in Caracas in 1783, he is credited as leading many South American countries to independence (Venezuela, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Panama…)
Simon Bolivar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim%C3%B3n_Bol%C3%ADvar
10/13 Of course he is also responsible for the independance of Bolivia

Science
5- This metal is got his name because of his ability to form many colorful compounds and oxides.
Chromium (from he greek chroma meaning color like in "chromatic")
2/13 Congrats to Bed_Head and DavidC

6- What German mathematician and philosopher is credited with Newton for the invention of the Calculus (differential and integral mathematics)? If one influenced the other and stole his idea is still a debate to this day.
Gottfried Leibniz
10/13

Culture and stuff
7- What ex-python has replaced Q in James Bond movies since the passing of Desmond Llewelyn?
Jonh Cleese
9/13

8- This painting by Claude Monet gave is what gave the name of an art movement. What is this art movement?
Impresionism
13/13 Wow, the first perfect answer. And I thought it was a not so easy question. I should have asked for the name of the painting.

9- Name 2 songs on the 1987 Def Leppard album “Hysteria”
Women, Rocket, Animal, Love Bites, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Armageddon It, Gods of War, Don't Shoot Sutgun, Run Riot, Hysteria.
5/13 Darkness Ville and Whomp got a full point, Romeo knew Pour some sugar on me for half a point. I don't know if DavidC knew it but aswered simply Hysteria and got an easy .5

10- This Greek philosopher, student of Socrates, wrote The Apology of Socrates and The Republic.
Plato
11/13

Sports
For European memberers
11a- Name a Major League Baseball team in Whomp’s hometown?
For non-European memberers
11b- Name the first division soccer club in kryszcztov’s home town?
Whomp = Chicago = White Sox or Cubs
kryszcztov = Paris = Paris-Saint-Germain
9/13

12- In the 1976 summer games, what gymnast was the first one to receive a perfect score? She took home 3 gold medals.
Nadia Comaneci (From Romania)
5/13 DavidC, Rik, Bed_Head, Whomp and Romeo got it. Look's like a North american thing, I'm supprised so few europeans knew that one.

Results for this round:
DavidC 11,5 (Impressive)
Rik 10
Darkness 9
Ville 9
SZ_matyas 9
bed_Head7 9
Whomp 9
Romeo 8,5
Akots 8
krysztov 6
Meli 5
Digger760 4
Ginger Ale 4

Results after 4 rounds:
Darkness 38
Rik 37,5
Ville 36
Akots 36
SZ_matyas 35,5
bed_Head7 31,5
Romeo 30,5
krysztov 29
Swingue 19,5
Kemal 18
Ginger Ale 15
Whomp 13
Meli 13
Digger760 13
DavidC 11,5
Energy 10
GRS 10
ProPain 8
KillerKane 3
TubbyRower 3

Whomp
24-02-2006, 15:50
I feel smarter today. Reminder to self...read up on science.

Barbu....can you please deduct a 1/2 point for Europeans who answered the Cubs? They're really only as good as a AAA ball club.

digger760
24-02-2006, 16:33
Lesotho.. bugger! thats what i almost wrote, but it thought it was the capital of swaziland

DavidC
24-02-2006, 16:57
I just got real lucky on chromium I didnt even know it existed, but Nadia Comaneci I think thats more an age thing maybe, because I am not American [rant]

bed_head7
24-02-2006, 16:58
I only missed the James Bond question and the Def Leppard question, by my count, so I should have ten points I think.

DavidC
24-02-2006, 16:58
And for the Def Leppard too I did not know any songs but so many loser bands have a song of the same name on their albums :D

barbu1977
24-02-2006, 17:18
@bed_head7: You did not answer to 11b, (for non european memberers)

For Def Leppard, I got nice answers:
sz_matyas: I'm proud I don't know this one
Krys: "I Am Gay" et "Am I Famous ?"
Meli: I'd rather eat my own testicles
For those music questions, it's always hard to know in what country a band has been famous.

romeothemonk
24-02-2006, 17:29
Well, I find it kind of funny that the Euro's didn't get the Def Leppard Question, considering they formed in the U.K. and did some extensive touring of the continent.

I can't believe I brain farted and only got 1 song right.

I realize that chrome's name means color, but I would contend that cobalt would also be an acceptable answer to the metal question.

I know swaziland isn't correct, but how can you put down a country where they have all the eligible virgins come once a year and dance provocatively for the king until he chooses one of them to be another wife. Man, I really gotta go become the king of swaziland. (Or not.)

I concur with Whomp on not giving credit for the cubs, as they are basically a farm team for the rest of the National League, plus a place where superstars go to be mismanaged into oblivion.

Anyway, I love the contests!!!
Keep them up.

barbu1977
24-02-2006, 17:52
For the Chrome question, according to Wiki:
quote:
The word cobalt comes from the German kobalt or kobold, meaning evil spirit, the metal being so called by miners, because it was poisonous and troublesome (it polluted and degraded the other mined elements, like nickel). Other sources cite the origin as stemming from silver miners' belief that cobalt had been placed by kobolds who had stolen the silver. Some also think the name may derive from Greek kobalos, which means 'mine', and which may have common roots with kobold, goblin, and cobalt.

And I believe the question was clear on that mather. "Got it's name"

Since many of you answered Copper, from wiki again:
quote:
In Greek times, the metal was known by the name chalkos (÷áëęüň). Copper was a very important resource for the Romans and Greeks. In Roman times, it became known as aes Cyprium (aes being the generic Latin term for copper alloys such as bronze and other metals, and Cyprium because so much of it was mined in Cyprus). From this, the phrase was simplified to cuprum and then eventually Anglicized into the English copper.

Copper was known to some of the oldest civilizations on record, and has a history of use that is at least 10,000 years old.

Rik Meleet
24-02-2006, 19:11
Do I get half a bonuspoint for guessing my correct number of answers I got correctly [tongue] ???

bed_head7
24-02-2006, 19:25
Oh damn, I read that completely backwards and answered the wrong question. Oops.

Whomp
24-02-2006, 19:25
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

Do I get half a bonuspoint for guessing my correct number of answers I got correctly [tongue] ???
Did you answer Cubs or White Sox? I'll give the the Whomper extracurricular activity full point.

I'm 3rd! [music]

Rik Meleet
24-02-2006, 19:36
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Did you answer Cubs or White Sox? I'll give the the Whomper extracurricular activity full point.
White sox. Certainly not Cubs.

Actually, this is what I said: "11a: Baseball team: Chicago white sox (I just hope they aren't red sox, it's one of those colours)" [whistle]

Whomp
24-02-2006, 20:25

quote:Originally posted by Whomp

White sox. Certainly not Cubs.

Actually, this is what I said: "11a: Baseball team: Chicago white sox (I just hope they aren't red sox, it's one of those colours)" [whistle]
Certainly not Cubs, indeed. The reigning champions of the world pale hose is the correct answer..
With that Mr. Meleet and Mr. themonk get "Whomper extracurricular activity full points". Bear in mind this extra credit is about as worthwhile as double-ply toilet paper.

akots
24-02-2006, 20:36
Well, that was a very good run for everyone. I did not know the answers to 3 questions and got the metal wrong.

barbu1977
24-02-2006, 20:37
quote:Bear in mind this extra credit is about as worthwhile as double-ply toilet paper.

Wow, better than what you get in school, all we had was single-ply

akots
24-02-2006, 21:06
During the communists rule in USSR, toilet paper was one of the biggest "deficits". It was impossible to buy. People had to stand in lines for a few hours just to get a couple of rolls. Of course, it was the coarse and single-ply. So, mostly the very abundant official newspaper "Pravda" (can be translated as "truth") was used instead. [lol] At school it were "Komsomol'skaya Pravda", which is Pravda for teenagers (members of Komsomol).

Whomp
24-02-2006, 21:56
quote:Originally posted by akots

During the communists rule in USSR, toilet paper was one of the biggest "deficits". It was impossible to buy. People had to stand in lines for a few hours just to get a couple of rolls. Of course, it was the coarse and single-ply. So, mostly the very abundant official newspaper "Pravda" (can be translated as "truth") was used instead. [lol] At school it were "Komsomol'skaya Pravda", which is Pravda for teenagers (members of Komsomol).
Heh...see there who knew that double ply toliet paper could turn into a trivia question?[cool]

sz_matyas
24-02-2006, 23:32
Still in 5th. At least I didn't lose ground. Still I feel really stupid for not knowing the chromium question being a ChE and all, especially as my answer of phosphorus isn't even a metal (but the name does have to do with light and is found in many colorful compounds and oxides used for a number of applications like fireworks). Guess I was too distracted by the idea to read the question closely enough.

I will stick by my answer on Def Leppard though. Sorry to all of there fans out there (not about my answer, for not realizing there's better music, or maybe for my answer haven't decided yet).

bed_head7
25-02-2006, 00:41
I delayed sending my answer for a few days because of the chromium question. I really wanted to answer vanadium, but had a feeling that was wrong. Finally, I just went element by element in my mind to see if I couldn't come up with a better choice. I got chromium, then chromatography flashed through my mind and I knew I had the right one. I later checked, and was very pleased to learn that vanadium was initially called pan-chromium, so my initial hunch was not a bad one.