PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Music - Issue - Bug?

grahamiam
07-02-2006, 16:51
I liked the CIV music, but I want to listen to my own sometimes. Typically, I use flashget to download a real audio stream from my favorite radio site, then I convert it to an MP3 via RealAlternative and it's associated codec. The file is huge (277MB) but it's 3hrs of music, so it lasts a while :) I then go to the Advanced Options in CIV and change the music folder to where I made the new MP3.

This worked great the 1st time. The 2nd time, however, it didn't go so great. I swapped out the MP3 in the alternative music folder, thinking that CIV would just play the new MP3. However, it doesn't. Instead, it still plays the old one. I've tried renaming the alternative folder (doesn't work), creating a new alternative folder (doesn't work), moving all MP3's out of the folder (CIV states, I think, that it cannot find any music), then moving a different MP3 back in (doesn't work, the original MP3 still plays).

The problem doesn't make any sense, unless there's some setting in some file that gets switched that I need to reset. Unfortunately, playing with the original music does not reset the switch, so I'm at my wit's end.

Anyone else have experience with this or have played with the music option? I'm trying to avoid running RealAlternative or some other music player in the backround as CIV takes up a lot of memory already (I had crashing problems with 1.0, 1.09, Memory Allocation errors after 4-6hrs of play).

Rik Meleet
07-02-2006, 17:26
Yes I have; everytime I went outside Civ 4 (I recall the same in Civ 4 screens itself) the music went on pause. That was enough for me to discard the Civ IV music feature after 1 go; I didn't bother trying it anymore.
I instead chose the work-around of just having all music I want to hear assigned to a WMP playlist and just play WMP in the background. Civ is a game, not a music-player.

Darkness
07-02-2006, 17:39
Whatever happened to just turning off the sound and listening to a real radio/CD player? [???]

akots
07-02-2006, 17:44
I'm playing in the window mode, not full screen. On my machine, Civ is not that memory-consuming, most of the load goes to cpu for some reason during animations of unit movement and saving/autosaving. I can run considerable number of tasks simultaneously with Civ4. Civ just does not like some chat software (trillian) and intense browsing with some activeX but all office applications, DVD/music players, picture editing is OK. Slowed down but they run. Anyhow, probably any mp3 player would take less memory and resources than Civ in playing these files. [confused]

grahamiam
07-02-2006, 17:51
ok, I'll try Rik's and Akot's suggestion. I just thought I'd save some memory by utilizing CIV's build-in player, but it seems that I'm just fooling myself.

quote:Whatever happened to just turning off the sound and listening to a real radio/CD player?
that's so 1990's [:p] [lol] Actually, the radio show I listen to has a lot of music that I don't have, it's broadcast in New York (out of radio range), and it's too big to burn to a music CD unless I break it up (more trouble than it's worth), so I must run it on my computer.