PDA

View Full Version : looking for my 2nd civ4 PBEM

grs
18-01-2006, 19:10
Hi,

as the topic says. I would prefer a standard sized map with the regular number of AI (5 in this case). I am open to suggestions of map type and settings. Level could be prince or monarch.

grs
07-03-2006, 23:22
[bump]Imho civ4 is really fun in pbem, so I give this a 2nd try.[bump]

akots
07-03-2006, 23:43
Can you wait for the patch? I'd like to play a game with you as soon as the patch comes out. :)

Darkness
08-03-2006, 09:19
quote:Originally posted by grs

[bump]Imho civ4 is really fun in pbem, so I give this a 2nd try.[bump]

I agree with you. Our PBEM (even though your almost 300 points ahead in score :() is much more fun than any of the SP games I played...

If I wasn't already playing you, I'd volunteer for this...

grs
08-03-2006, 21:50
quote:Originally posted by akots

Can you wait for the patch? I'd like to play a game with you as soon as the patch comes out. :)
Sure. I would like to lose to you again anytime, just don't know when the next patch comes, but we will see :)

akots
17-04-2006, 02:40
... Sure. ...

OK, I somehow managed to keep the triple install, one for GOTM, another for Russian version of 1.52, and the third is 1.61. So, I'm ready and can play.

I'm thinking should it be with AI or without AI? [confused]

If it is with AI, I'd like to make it a decent difficulty, for example, Emperor level. I'm rather comfortable with Immortal but only at epic speed. Since most like we would play at a normal speed, it better be no more than Emperor at the moment.

grs
17-04-2006, 14:20

... Sure. ...

OK, I somehow managed to keep the triple install, one for GOTM, another for Russian version of 1.52, and the third is 1.61. So, I'm ready and can play.

I'm thinking should it be with AI or without AI? [confused]

If it is with AI, I'd like to make it a decent difficulty, for example, Emperor level. I'm rather comfortable with Immortal but only at epic speed. Since most like we would play at a normal speed, it better be no more than Emperor at the moment.
Since I did not play an 1on1 without AI yet, I would like to try it. We could play a tiny pangea (duel seems a bit too small). I am quite used to monarch tech speed so I would prefer that.

akots
17-04-2006, 14:57
Ok, sounds fine to me. Lets then decide on map script and leaders.

grs
17-04-2006, 18:56
Pangea, Tiny, Temperate, Medium, Ancient, Normal, Natural would be my suggestion.

Some leaders cancel out each other, but besides that we should chose freely. I suggest playing Mansa Musa. Tell me what you want to play against him and I tell you if I accept or rechose, ok?

akots
17-04-2006, 20:41
Ok, it seems you are trying to get a defensive edge here. So, financial trait is a must to counter that. I think I can try to play Qin Shi Huang then.

grs
17-04-2006, 20:45
That sounds a nice matchup to me. Do you want to try a random generated map?

akots
17-04-2006, 21:42
It might be OK but lets somebody start up the game for us and check out the map. We don't want to be too close to each other. Also, it won't be nice if the map is too unbalanced which still can happen pretty often in all areas including food, resources, and luxuries as well. May be regenerate the map a couple of times to get it into a "proper" shape, save as a WB save and start a PBEM out of it assigning our passwords. It would be a nice bonus as well if all the goody huts are deleted as well.

I will post a procedure on how to do this in version 1.61 today later from home. I've tried it yesterday a few times and it works very smoothly, so that should not be a problem.

Obviously, we also want locked war and no tech trading. Monarch is fine with me, normal speed.

And believe me, we would want that bronze in version 1.61 to be rather near the capital. Barbarian would be very nasty without AI, both animals and more advanced units.

grs
17-04-2006, 22:00

It might be OK but lets somebody start up the game for us and check out the map. We don't want to be too close to each other. Also, it won't be nice if the map is too unbalanced which still can happen pretty often in all areas including food, resources, and luxuries as well. May be regenerate the map a couple of times to get it into a "proper" shape, save as a WB save and start a PBEM out of it assigning our passwords..Ok, we can do it that way.

It would be a nice bonus as well if all the goody huts are deleted as well. I am not that critical about goody huts.

Obviously, we also want locked war and no tech trading. Why is that so? There is no war happyness from declaring.

akots
17-04-2006, 23:25
... I am not that critical about goody huts.

Obviously, we also want locked war and no tech trading. Why is that so? There is no war happyness from declaring.

Well, you still can get funny stuff from goody huts in Monarch. No settlers or workers though, but still pretty advanced techs. However, none of us starts with a scout, so might be OK.

The war weariness is somewhat rather glitchy and its mechanism is not very clear in the present patch. It does depend on difficulty level and who declared on whom still although the dependency is not as strong as it were in Civ3. Yet, it is still there and we don't want that. I think if we go to war on a large scale without setting Always War (which does decrease war weariness somewhat), the game would be essentially paralyzed for both of us due to this war weariness.

And since there are only two of us there, there is no point in tech trading as well imho. I'm not going to trade with you anyhow. Or make peace for that be. [evil]

grs
18-04-2006, 09:03
Ok, so let's play with locked war. I just think it is nice to have a look at the other ones techs.

akots
23-04-2006, 00:03
So, if somebody please can start the game for us? No editing of the map, just generate one on Noble level and check in world builder and then start a PBEM? Please? The procedure is very simple described in the mapmaking forum.

Tubby Rower
23-04-2006, 02:45
I can start it... I'll generate passwords for you and PM them to you guys...

Tubby Rower
23-04-2006, 05:20
OK I think that I almost have it.. The world builder is screwy. I need to fool with a couple more things before I release it to you guys. If you have any specific passwords, let me know. Otherwise, I have random thoughts of mine as your password now.

akots
23-04-2006, 06:13
Thanks a lot, just try it out, it should work. Please also assign the passwords yourself and input some admin password as well. :)

Tubby Rower
23-04-2006, 19:47
I have the scenario, and just hit enter on grs's turn. Then I opened that save and entered akots password and then hit shift-enter. Instead of telling me that it saved a file, it says at the bottom "Waiting for other civilizations..

I'll keep trying and see if I can get it to work out.

Tubby Rower
23-04-2006, 19:59
Ok I have it... I'm glad I messed up the first time because the diff. level was set to Noble.

It's on Monarch now.

turn 2 save to grs (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/grs_vs_akots_BC-3960_to_grs.Civ4SavedGame)

I had to use CFC's server since CDZ wouldn't take the file.

Anyhoo.. <s>I'll PM you two what your passwords are.</s> passwords are sent

akots
23-04-2006, 20:12
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower
turn 2 save to grs (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/grs_vs_akots_BC-3960_to_grs.Civ4SavedGame)

I had to use CFC's server since CDZ wouldn't take the file.

Thanks a lot! All set and ready for action on my side.

Regarding the file, you have to zip it to get upload onto CDZ.