PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate CDZ game!

Matrix
13-01-2006, 00:19
Pitboss is out. I suspect there will come a version where you can minimize a Pitboss game to the tray bar and have it running continuously practically forever. That would give a wonderful opportunity for me to present: The Ultimate CDZ game!

The basic idea: to play with 18 humans (the maximum).
Why would that be possible? Because of three options:
1. You can set a timer. I'd suggest 12 hours. This means that you need two moments a day to be available to play, and most of us have that: before going to work and coming back home.
2. The AI can take over an empire. If you can't find a replacement you can let the AI play for you instead.
3. You can receive an e-mail when it's your turn.

The game will still progress very slowly. It'll be most important that you give it high priority to play a.s.a.p. once you know it's your turn. Besides that we also have the option of playing a 'quick' game instead of a normal one (or epic / marathon).

The game is running!
[u]Settings</u>
Simultaneous moves, 24h time limit
Standard size, Continents, Medium sea level, Temperate climate, Noble difficulty
IP address: 82.73.88.51 or matrix.kicks-ass.org

[u]Players</u>
1. Matrix: Gandhi (India)
2. Unclaimed: Kublai Khan (Mongolia)
3. Unclaimed: Mansa Musa (Mali)
4. Unclaimed: Catherine (Russia)
5. Unclaimed: Hatshepsut (Egypt)
6. Unclaimed: Tokugawa (Japan)
7. Unclaimed: Saladin (Arabia)

romeothemonk
13-01-2006, 01:02
hmm. I only have Dial-up so I am not sure that I could be in Pitboss all the time.

I would be intrigued!! I would need many more details on how this would work, but I'll subscribe as interested.

Matrix
13-01-2006, 01:20
You don't have to be in Pitboss all the time. Just the host. :) A player can log in and out at any time.

This is the procedure: someone will start a Pitboss game. Then all players can at any time log on, just like joining a random MP game. You then pick the leader you reserved for yourself, you will be asked to enter a password and you're in the game. If it's not your turn - the sequence it determined by the host when starting a game, not by order of logins - you can give orders, but nothing will happen until it's your turn, similar to giving a unit an order when it has no movement left that turn.

Once logged in you can change your civ name ([u]not</u> your leader name, so make sure you log in with your own nickname at the very beginning!), and most importantly: your e-mail address! Once the game is up and running the game will send an e-mail to the next player if he has filled in his e-mail address.

bed_head7
13-01-2006, 01:49
I would be interested. I do not have any preference on leader at the moment. I played in a few SGs and a few solo games, but then finals came and after they were done I was more interested in other things in the first couple weeks of break and unable to play for the last week and a half or so, meaning I have not played more than a few SG turnsets since November.

Matrix
13-01-2006, 09:59
Sure, take your time. But if this is going to work, note that the longer you wait, the less choice you have.

I thought of a better plan: simultaneous moves. Then we'll all have e.g. 24 hours to play, and we know for sure then that we'll be playing at a rate of at least one turn a day. Note that you manually can still play turn based of necessary: once you are at war you just let the player below you in the bottomright list play first.

I've started with a 'quick' game on a huge map, and am curious what age I'll be in when I have explored nearly the whole world. Otherwise, how much will be revealed by discovering Satellites. [rolleyes]

Tubby Rower
13-01-2006, 13:17
I'm interested, but what happens on those inevitable days when we couldn't play? Does the AI play our turn for us?

Matrix
13-01-2006, 15:25
If you ask the admin to make it so. Otherwise you just skip a turn (although research and production just continues).

barbu1977
13-01-2006, 15:52
I'd like to give it a try.

Kemal
13-01-2006, 16:09
I'd love to play too... but I suppose you all know by now what the problem is with me playing MP civ4. Feel free to start without me if I haven't got a copy yet when this starts.

Whomp
13-01-2006, 18:58
I would be interested but maybe I could team up with Tubby so we can keep the pace moving. Romans?

Kemal
14-01-2006, 00:16
I'll take Mansa Musa, whoever wants the Romans might find himself having painted a big "O" on his belly though, can't imagine they will be left alone long, especially once in warmonger mode..

Gyathaar
14-01-2006, 04:52
Be aware that there are some issues with passwords in the currently available beta version when you set emails...
You may want to use this standalone app to send out emails instead for the time being: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153509

Whomp
15-01-2006, 00:07
After Kemal said that I think I'd like to change my civ to Cathy or Frederick please. LOL I hate to get pounded by the PBEM vets so early.

admiral kutzov
15-01-2006, 00:46
Bede and I will share a spot. our preferred civ is Cathy.

Tubby Rower
15-01-2006, 00:51
Whomp & I will be Cathy. Our second choice is the fat Khan Kublai

RegentMan
15-01-2006, 10:00
This sounds interesting. I'd like to try. Egypt, please.

Kemal
15-01-2006, 14:16
Hmm, I just noticed this, but why would the "flip after conquest" be activated? It's not part of the standard rulesset, after all (iirc).

Matrix
15-01-2006, 19:43
Well, first of all it's just a suggestion of mine.

Secondly, because most at CDZ wonder why it isn't on by default (or why it is an option at all).

Tubby Rower
16-01-2006, 00:36
I've been fooling around with the Pitboss thing this weekend with Whomp and the Pitboss download is just for creating a game.

Apparently any MP game can loaded up as a direct IP connection game and everyone else just types in the game name, IP address of the host, and password for the game and you can connect.

Whomp & I played an AW 4 civ (us and 2 AI) on a duel map. Let's just say that's too close. One of us died within 20 turns. I'm not going to say who, but his initials are Whomp. The first warrior build wasn't even able to be finished before Roosevelt walked through his streets. [lol]

Matrix
16-01-2006, 01:26
I guess that's why it's called "duel". [tongue]

Whomp
16-01-2006, 01:37
I had my build on food instead of shields and had no time to recover.

DaveShack
16-01-2006, 09:51
Tentatively put me down for cannon fodder (or maybe not) as Alex, but will have to see how this goes. Twice a day might not work for me, as it would have to be before work (~0800 MST) and late night (~2300 MST).

Do I need to install anything extra? During patch installation it asked about some extra program which would only be needed for MP, and I said to skip it.

Tubby Rower
16-01-2006, 13:16
Whomp & I started a Pitboss game last night and it was very nice. I didn't have to download anything. For those who haven't done a Pitboss game yet, (assuming that we'll be doing directIP) you go to the multiplayer menu, then to DirectIP connection.

You then have to enter the Game Name, IP address, and a game password (optional). Once you are there, you select the civ that you are playing and go take your turn then could get off. If everyone happens to be on at the same time, we could prolly get a few turns done relatively quickly.

In our game last night, I noticed that you can change builds, movement orders, citizen tile allocation, and conduct diplomacy even while it's not your turn. We were playing teams with permanent alliances with 1 AI and it was pretty neat because you share techs and can tell the AI what to research and where to attack. Peter isn't seeming to listen on the attack part, but the dual research is kind of nice.

admiral kutzov
18-01-2006, 23:29
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

you must be a freakin idiot[doomsol]

Whomp
19-01-2006, 00:56
quote:Originally posted by admiral kutzov

quote:Originally posted by Whomp

you must be a freakin idiot[doomsol]
I resemble that remark though I'd be considered a twat at CDZ. So for that I [banned] you.

admiral kutzov
20-01-2006, 23:08
I fart in your general direction

Tubby Rower
21-01-2006, 02:37
any updates on this besides the flatulence from the rubber duck towards the cow?

DaveShack
24-01-2006, 07:52
Will this game be getting off the ground? I'm still interested!

Tubby Rower
24-01-2006, 15:15
If I had a computer that my wife didn't need to get on, I'd host it and start it up. I don't think that we have to have all 18 players in order to play.

It seems as though a lot of players here at CDZ aren't too fond of some aspect of Civ4 so we might jsut want to go forward with what we have. I could prolly split out from Whomp, but would need some slack on the time restriction as I can't play everyday.

Matrix
24-01-2006, 16:31
Yes, I think we can give it a go. We're far from 18, but I guess that's not feasible.

I'm at the start of my exam period (2 weeks), so I don't have time to set it up. Anyone else is free to do so. Does everyone agree on Pitboss, simultaneous moves, normal speed, 24h time limit? If you can't play for X days, notify the 'Pitbossmaster' and he can either change your civ to an AI (which you can claim back later), or save the game so that we can continue later. (Is that correct?)

Tubby Rower
24-01-2006, 16:55
I'm not sure how everyone getting on and then leaving will work. When Whomp & I played after Whomp left the game, it asked me to vote whether to continue or to save the game. It would get quite annoying to have to vote each time someone popped on to check something.

I'm not sure how the AI takeover works either. It might behoove us to do a test game with 3 or 4 players and get a couple of them to get out of the game and then try having everyone (except the local user) to get out of the game so that we don't waste our time and have to restart anyway because we needed a setting turned on.

DaveShack
26-01-2006, 08:26
So how does one run this pitboss thing? Is it built in to the 1.52 patch, or separately installable? Do you know if it is possible to run both pitboss and an ordinary Civ4 game, or does the pitboss machine have to be dedicated?

Tubby Rower
26-01-2006, 13:09
I think that the pitboss has to be dedicated. But you can save the game and then everyone re-connect later once it's back up and running. What Whomp & I did is I started a game using the Pitboss download (just a windows interface to create the initial save). Then I loaded it as a DirectIP connection MP game. Then I gave Whomp my IP address and the game name and password. He typed it all into that screen and joined the game. That's basically it.

We had to wait while the other was taking his turn, but you can alter builds, MM cities, change research, basically everything but move (although you could tell them to move, they would just wait for your turn to start). If you are playing teams, you can even look at the cities of your teammate. This would be good for training and/or mutual learning.

Whomp
15-02-2006, 21:23
There's a 18 person Pitboss game starting up here. About half the civs have been chosen so join in if you'd like.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159115&page=3

Matrix
15-02-2006, 22:51
I signed up there...

Matrix
26-02-2006, 14:58
Alright, let's just start and see what happens.

When I get home tonight I'll start an 8 player Pitboss game. Every civ will be played by the AI, until someone takes over. The reserved civs will be in the game, the others are random.

Settings will be (unless heavy protests):
Simultaneous moves, 24h time limit
Continents, standard map size, temperate climate, difficulty: Prince

Game will commence at 20:00 GMT.
IP: 82.73.88.51

grs
26-02-2006, 15:41
If that is ok, I would like to substitue Kemal until he gets his copy. Ok, Kemal?

Kemal
26-02-2006, 15:44
Sure grs, but no need to substitute, why not just enter for yourself? :)

As it stands now, I neither have much time available to play, nor a good estimate when (if ever) a free copy will arrive... most likely I'll end up buying it myself when it is in the bargain bin, since the only reason I really need a copy is MP, which wasn't really blossoming here at CDZ. If that changes, might be I'll hurry to the shop after all.

grs
26-02-2006, 17:45
Oh, I see it is not limited to 8 players, so I may pick another civ freely.

Matrix
26-02-2006, 20:01
Game is running. If someone has connection problems, please say so a.s.a.p.!

I'll update the first page now.

grs
26-02-2006, 20:47
Can't connect to the address or ip. I can't even ping it.

Whomp
26-02-2006, 23:10
My connection timed out.

Matrix
26-02-2006, 23:42
Try again, please. I had my firewall too tight. (And should've thought of that before. [blush])

grs
26-02-2006, 23:45
Still the same. Can't even ping it.

Matrix
26-02-2006, 23:59
Blast!
I find it too unsafe to host this thing day and night without firewall. Perhaps someone else could do so?
Why don't these things simply work... :(

Gyathaar
27-02-2006, 11:33
Did you add the pitboss app to your exception list? also did you open both port 2056 and 2057 UDP?
When pitboss runs on 2056, then your client (if run on same machine) will automatically use 2057

grs
27-02-2006, 11:52
Whatever your firewall does, you should think about opening it for ICMP (ping e.g.). Everything else makes it very hard to bugtrack it.

Matrix
27-02-2006, 12:27
Pitboss already was in the exception list.

And I don't know how to make an exception for certain ports. I use ZoneAlarm and can't find any option to do so.

grahamiam
27-02-2006, 16:24
[hmm] it seems that you should only need to add pitboss to the exceptions list to get it to work if you only have a software firewall. Do you have a router or motherboard with a hardware firewall? That is where you would need to open the specific ports that gyathaar suggests.

also, maybe you have the windows firewall on too?

Matrix
27-02-2006, 19:03
Windows Firewall is off.
I have a router, but have configured it so that all ports are open to my computer. My wife never hosts anything digitally.

Lemme check whether it's firewall is off. Hang on...

It's off:
quote:Firewall Option
Advanced Firewall Protection: O Enable Ø Disable

Web Filter
Proxy: Ø Allow O Deny
Java: Ø Allow O Deny
ActiveX: Ø Allow O Deny
Cookie: Ø Allow O Deny

RegentMan
28-02-2006, 02:40
Sorry Matrix, I still time out. Why don't you ask DaveShack how he did his MTDG Pitboss game.

BCLG100
05-04-2006, 22:08
id play as well if this would work :)

BCLG100
13-05-2006, 22:12
so this a no no now then :(

Matrix
14-05-2006, 23:22
We could do a revival. :) But I can't seem to get it to work, so we need to find someone who could be server. Or someone to explain me how to get it to work with my computer.

BCLG100
14-05-2006, 23:35
well im very computer illiterate so i have no idea, the only thing i can think of is PM'ing igloodude or daveshack, theyve successfully hosted 2 pitboss games im involved in.