PDA

View Full Version : English to American

Tubby Rower
12-01-2006, 20:07
In a recent post Shabbaman referred to bollocks. I've heard that most of my life, but never knew what it was. So I typed it into google and found this lovely website.

http://english2american.com/

apparently bollocks are nuts.... here is the entry for it.
quote:bollocks n. How do I put this delicately... bollocks are testicles. The word is in pretty common use in the UK (not in my house, of course!) and works well as a general "surprise" expletive in a similar way to bugger. The phrase "the dog's bollocks" is used to describe something particularly good (yes, good) - something like "see that car - it's the dog's bollocks, so it is". This in turn gives way to homonym phrases like "the pooch's privates" or "the mutt's nuts" which all generally mean the same thing. Oh, and this beer from Wychwood Brewery. The word has also slipped through the the State of Florida's censors in the wonderful form of this registration plate. We also describe a big telling-off as a bollocking, and additionally use the word to mean "rubbish" (as in "well, that's a load of bollocks").

Now I can understand most of what everyone is saying [uglyham]

Whomp
12-01-2006, 23:06
Tubs,

A few pointers...

Shabba once told me that "I wouldn't know sarcasm if it kicked me in my teeth". To which I replied "I don't have any teeth".

Irony along with sarcasm is the basis of English humour and totally lost on most Americans. Saying "...NOT!" is not sarcasm.

A couple others..

Twat. In the US, calling someone a twat is unwise since you are accusing them of being a pussy. In the UK, it's a mild insult meaning "idiot" which we are so you perceive it to be a compliment. I now ordain you a "twat" when talking to you at CDZ.

Personally I would like to learn proper usage of cockney rhymes someday...you know sandra bollocks and all.

Oh one last thing....soccer is not a word in any language outside of the United States. If you do use it...I say bollocks Tubby gets fist in arse.

Pastorius
12-01-2006, 23:27
[rotfl]

Great explanation Whomp

Socrates
13-01-2006, 01:38
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/200611313534_bollocks.jpg
21.1*KB

Tubby ??? [hmm]

I learned that when my cousin and I wrote a song whose title was set up around that word... long ago. Came from the Pistols of course (him). Realized that a bit later, but got the meaning immediately... To conclude the lil' story that nobody cares about, "my" "mansion" in the country yard is named (in French) after something close to that... which is in close relationship with said song.

OK, I'm going back to Civ4, sorry for threadjacking. [blush2]

bed_head7
13-01-2006, 01:47
quote:Originally posted by WhompIrony along with sarcasm is the basis of English humour and totally lost on most Americans. Saying "...NOT!" is not sarcasm.

Does this mean that if I were to go to England, people might be occasionally amused at my comments instead of being initially confused and then walking away thinking I am a pretentious asshole after I tell them they are too stupid to get it?

Rik Meleet
13-01-2006, 01:50
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Shabba once told me that "I wouldn't know sarcasm if it kicked me in my teeth". To which I replied "I don't have any teeth".So true ...
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

No way, only certified heterosexuals with a good track-record, proper education, high enough wages and the correct religion should be able to adopt children. And they should also be the only ones allowed to have children of their own.
And only after they get married.quote:Originally posted by Whomp

[eek] You and I are going to need to have a good talk in London Rik. That is one biased view Mister. What's the difference? The couple I know are both have their masters, have a great track record and one parent stays at home because the other makes a phenomenal living to support the lifestyle.quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet
Sarcasm, my dear Whomp.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144318

Whomp
13-01-2006, 02:38

quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Shabba once told me that "I wouldn't know sarcasm if it kicked me in my teeth". To which I replied "I don't have any teeth".So true ...

No way, only certified heterosexuals with a good track-record, proper education, high enough wages and the correct religion should be able to adopt children. And they should also be the only ones allowed to have children of their own.
And only after they get married.quote:Originally posted by Whomp

[eek] You and I are going to need to have a good talk in London Rik. That is one biased view Mister. What's the difference? The couple I know are both have their masters, have a great track record and one parent stays at home because the other makes a phenomenal living to support the lifestyle.quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet
Sarcasm, my dear Whomp.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144318

Oh that was really nice me old china. Bugger off..you little D'Oyly Carte....hope I got that right..
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

quote:Originally posted by WhompIrony along with sarcasm is the basis of English humour and totally lost on most Americans. Saying "...NOT!" is not sarcasm.

Does this mean that if I were to go to England, people might be occasionally amused at my comments instead of being initially confused and then walking away thinking I am a pretentious asshole after I tell them they are too stupid to get it?
Oh no that's a very American thing to do BH. Most traveling Americans are assholes. Subtle we are not.

bed_head7
13-01-2006, 04:34
Perhaps I should have said "people might be occasionally amused at my sarcastic comments."

admiral kutzov
14-01-2006, 02:15
tubs, neither you nor whomp are permitted to refer to the twat partee...

BCLG100
05-04-2006, 02:58
more cockney rhyming slang- you dont want to get 3 pints gonorhea, diorhea and up the rear if i remember correctly.

also dont really want to be a james blunt, hes a singer in the uk and i figure you can work out what his last name rhymes with :)

RegentMan
05-04-2006, 18:00
Out of mere curiousity, when a non-English person learns to speak English, which style do they take after? I imagine Europeans learn the Queen's English while Mexicans, for example, learn the American version.

I ask because I know there's a lot of people here from northern/western Europe where English is not their native language.

Melifluous
05-04-2006, 18:50
Everyone learns American English mainly because lessons in school are reinforced with satellite television which is mainly American.

It's funny to hear and entire generation of Europeans grow up speaking English in American accents...

[meli]

BCLG100
05-04-2006, 21:16
think thats pretty much it, most are influenced by saved by the bell etc :)

Darkness
05-04-2006, 22:13
quote:Originally posted by RegentMan

Out of mere curiousity, when a non-English person learns to speak English, which style do they take after? I imagine Europeans learn the Queen's English while Mexicans, for example, learn the American version.

In the Netherlands we're taught the Queens English in school (grammar and stuff), but I imagine that American influences (TV, music, movies) influence the pronouciation quite heavily...

ProPain
05-04-2006, 23:26
tomatoes, tomatoes.....

ProPain
05-04-2006, 23:26
The fact that Brits and Ozzies use tea for diner stills odd to me though.

BCLG100
05-04-2006, 23:29
well its called teatime for a reason :)

Socrates
06-04-2006, 00:15
I learned British English at school. I also hope foreigners don't learn Belgium or - worse - Quebec French in the first place. ;) Sorry but I dislike the way Quebec is fighting for "French".

barbu1977
06-04-2006, 00:42
What! We speak french the way the king spoke it.

I think the worst french is the one spoken in southern France

Anyhow, I think right now there is an international french that, I believe, is spoken and used quite effectively in movies and TV dubbing. It is generaly the one taught.

Finaly, let's threadjack this. What don't you like about "the way Quebec is fighting for "French"."?

Tubby Rower
06-04-2006, 01:05
Hey no thread jacking for foreign languages in my forum... [assw]

akots
06-04-2006, 01:07
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Hey, this avatar is MINE !!!!! [cry]

Tubby Rower
06-04-2006, 01:18
[lol]

Socrates
06-04-2006, 01:18
I don't care for how the King spoke French (or, for instance, Molière). I mean, French is an alive language, and so it evolves. Furthermore, I live in France. :) You can hate the way our Académiciens work (I don't have an opinion), the one, proper French language is spoken and taught here. The rest is just rip-off.

What don't I like in Quebec ? A small but very active community trying to counter the English language to the point that English is seen as stranger, some kind of "language racism". As for the new words (technology fields...), the words you come up with are amusing, yes, but not French proper. The aim is to try to find a correspondant word for an English word, by means of traditional translation (eg. "podcast" -> "baladodiffusion" ("baladeur" = "walkman", and "radiodiffusion" = "broadcasting") :D (seen in a recently aired program about Canada)). Our Académiciens are also lame in this regard, as they tend to transform the English word into a French-ish word that sounds and reads the same or so (eg. "email" -> "mél" [lol] ).

I might be wrong. But this seems to me like artificial ways to create new words. I think that the language should evolve from bottom to top (people to elite), not the opposite. And no need rushing to find the translation, let time passes... And I also think that the two main factors for languages are economy and conquest. With the latter being somewhat forgotten these days, I'll leave this final comment : let the Francophone world to leadership again, and you'll see French becoming widely used and influencing other languages. This is for Quebec and for France as well. Today is Warhol's moment of glory for the English language.

Tubby Rower
06-04-2006, 01:19
hey stop it... you just wait until I figure out how to mod stuff!11!!1!!!onehundredeleven!1!!!!

Pastorius
06-04-2006, 08:29
so, quebecans send "mels" to Mel?

French as the leading world langue [rotfl]

RegentMan
06-04-2006, 19:58
Thanks for the responses, everybody.

quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

It used to be...

BCLG100
08-04-2006, 21:03
quote:Originally posted by akots

quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Hey, this avatar is MINE !!!!! [cry]

happy now?

Whomp
08-04-2006, 21:25
I like the fact that Canada speaks two languages. I think the U.S. should speak Spanish as well. Then I could say stuff like "be te o te corto chango flacco con dientes podritos...I think that translates to something like "back off or I'll cut you skinny monkey with bad teeth. BCLG Akots avvie is pretty cool so it was a good choice but I do like your new one.

Pastorius
08-04-2006, 22:29

Thanks for the responses, everybody.

quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

It used to be...

And Latin used to be back when the world consisted of Europe and North Africa (not putting much weight in the fact that teaching barbarians to speak proper latin was a rough job.

Shabbaman
08-04-2006, 23:37
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Everyone learns American English mainly because lessons in school are reinforced with satellite television which is mainly American.

It's funny to hear and entire generation of Europeans grow up speaking English in American accents...

[meli]

Meh.

There's a healthy dose of english english being broadcasted here. Enough to learn any properly educated dutchman the difference between english english and american english. However, in school only english english is being taught.

Perhaps that's the root of american english being prevalent ;) But more likely it's from writing more and speaking less. Which in turn leads to stoopid accents.

P.S. bclg, if send me a link to an image I can set that as your avatar.

digger760
24-04-2006, 17:18
Heres a few more for ya:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/24/glossaryforinternationalrecruits.pdf

I would a different menaing again to some of those words ie

Number 2 = "poo"
Number 1 = "piss"

Fluzie = "slut"

RegentMan
25-04-2006, 01:55
I was under the impression fanny was slang for bottom... [blush2]

I've got fishdocks?!? [aargh]

BCLG100
25-04-2006, 02:03
erm no fanny is slang for.... well you know

digger760
25-04-2006, 09:44

I've got fishdocks?!? [aargh]

I was under the impression that in the US fanny = bottom and in UK fanny = front side bottom ;)

Shabbaman
25-04-2006, 10:00

Hehehe...