PDA

View Full Version : This bug annoys the heck outta me!

Lt. Killer M
10-01-2006, 16:43
I am talking about the fucking attack-bug, whcih keeps units on 'attack this city' even if their orders are 15 turns old and the city has changed hands three times in between! AIs that have a HUGE plus in their attitude against me and hardly any minus, have been my best friend all game long, are allied with me against a common enemy.....

.... attck the city I just took from our common enemy.

How stoopid is Firaxis?????

Shabbaman
10-01-2006, 16:46
[lol]

Even better than the submarine bug from civ3.

akots
10-01-2006, 18:13
Well, there are many-many other weird things also with the AI. But this one is very annoying indeed to the extreme. It was somewhat similar in Civ3 though manifested at its peak in Conquests version 1.15. I think they cut it slightly in version 1.22 but not completely.

What most annoys me is the governor. To the point of crushing the keyboard. I think I'm smoking too much recently because of this bug, should have sued Firaxis for damage to my health. [lol]

Matrix
10-01-2006, 21:37
Never encountered it...once again.

What's it with you all and bugs?! It's like you got honey on you. [crazyeye]

Pastorius
10-01-2006, 22:45
Weird. Must be my peaceful nature. Or my too few games played through. I havent experienced any killer bugs with "old orders carried through".

I guess Akots is right about the governor, but it hasnt annoyed me much yet...

akots
10-01-2006, 23:37
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Never encountered it...once again. ...

It is just that you don't pay much attention or don't care? Bet even if there are bugs (not graphical) you won't notice since your primary goal is having fun. While primary goal of some other players is to kill some virtual enemies. [lol]

Soren Johnson
16-01-2006, 02:05
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

I am talking about the fucking attack-bug, whcih keeps units on 'attack this city' even if their orders are 15 turns old and the city has changed hands three times in between! AIs that have a HUGE plus in their attitude against me and hardly any minus, have been my best friend all game long, are allied with me against a common enemy.....

.... attck the city I just took from our common enemy.

How stoopid is Firaxis?????

do you have a save? I'm not sure I'm understanding you as how can you tell it is a bug as opposed to just aggressive AI?

akots
16-01-2006, 02:22
Hey, Soren, nice to see you here! How did you find the CDZ?

I'm sure Killer will dig out some save.

Also, hope that you don't take all these offensive comments seriously and moreover personally. Considering how much time Killer had invested into playing Civ4, he certainly can be pissed by some stuff, just like any other civver imho.

I can give probably the most well-known example for Conquests (there are many more) and I have not yet stumbled upon a similar phenomenon in CivIV patch 1.52 myself yet.

Here is a thread of an RBCiv Succession game with weird Persian attack:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=78829
around this post there is a description:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1605009&postcount=48

Lt. Killer M
16-01-2006, 10:07
Soren,

uh, sorry, the save is long gone.

But if it happenes again I'll be sure to save and provide it!

What I meant is that it seems the AI gives troops the prder: 'go there and take that city', without the qualification 'as long as it belongs to civ x'. Thus, if the city changes hands, the troops still attack it.

Now, super-aggressive AI is a good guess here, but more often than not the attack is suicidal: the town is easily taken, but the war is a losing proposition (e.g. I have 20 times the troops that particular AI has). As I have so far seen few suicidal AIs (as opposed to CivIII) this possibility seems unlikely to me.

btw: re 'stoopid' - I hope you do not take this personally - I chose the word in a state of massive anger. Please do not be offended!

Socrates
16-01-2006, 11:13
That's what we call "being caught with his pants down". [lol] Hmmm, Soren here, really ? [hmm] If this is no joke from one of our admins (yes, the admins are as silly as the rest of us here :D ), then welcome to CDZ ! I'm sure Killer will forgive me a little threadjacking ; I am the French dude who teased you and Sid about Civ4 demogame in the Parisian showcase in November. :) While I'm at it, I'll try to take time to track down what annoys me in Civ4, that is, when I have finished all those games sponsored by your friend Bob from RBCiv... [mischief]

ProPain
17-01-2006, 11:19
ROTFL, a Firaxis hotshot shows up and you guys are suddenly cleaning up your language. Just too funny.

@krys: Not a joke, but I sure do wish I had come up with a joke like that. That would be priceless.

Rik Meleet
17-01-2006, 12:27
[lol] @ Killer

akots
17-01-2006, 18:31
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

ROTFL, a Firaxis hotshot shows up and you guys are suddenly cleaning up your language. Just too funny. ...

I told him "pissed", should I have used "fucked" instead?

Don't think he's coming back though... I think I'm encountering something similar in a game I'm playing with patch 1.52 but I need to play a few more turn before making a firm conclusion about it.

Shabbaman
17-01-2006, 21:31
Weird if he goes to the painful process of registration and posting in this thread, asking for a save, just to turn his back and never return... Nah. Still, it could be a joke. Isn't this bug mentioned somewhere in the big pile that is CFC's bug report forum?

akots
17-01-2006, 23:04
It is Ginger Ale's job apparently to dig through that pile and organize it. ;)

Soren Johnson
18-01-2006, 05:11
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Weird if he goes to the painful process of registration and posting in this thread, asking for a save, just to turn his back and never return... Nah. Still, it could be a joke. Isn't this bug mentioned somewhere in the big pile that is CFC's bug report forum?

still here... just looking for a save...

Lt. Killer M
18-01-2006, 09:53
Soren, as soon as it happenes again (I'll try to provoke it) I'll post a save @ CFC and here.

THe problem is that, being somewhat limited wrt disk space, I do not keep saves of games I have won.

col
18-01-2006, 16:51

Soren, as soon as it happenes again (I'll try to provoke it) I'll post a save @ CFC and here.

THe problem is that, being somewhat limited , I dont have any games I have won.

akots
18-01-2006, 17:35
[lol]Quite unfair, probably.

ProPain
18-01-2006, 20:28
mmm, Killer. Maybe you should retire from chieftain level when you dont need to bother keeping the games you won [:p]

Matrix
19-01-2006, 10:50
Once again col's avatar speaks volumes. [lol]

Sir Eric
20-01-2006, 03:30

What I meant is that it seems the AI gives troops the prder: 'go there and take that city', without the qualification 'as long as it belongs to civ x'. Thus, if the city changes hands, the troops still attack it.

I don't know anything about using Python at all, but is this something that can be rectified by modifying the scripts whilst waiting for a patch to be released that will fix this bug?